Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I think Manchin maybe votes to acquit if it's mostly a party-line vote (with maybe Romney voting to convict). I don't see him voting to acquit if there's any substantial Republican defection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I think Romney still wants to be president. If he's gunning for 2024, betting his reputation on being the first GOP to "save the GOP from themselves" probably isn't the worst move. Might make the primary tougher depending on how four years of Democrat Tyranny shakes out, but it would likely help him in the general.

And if it doesn't work out it's not like he'll ever lose his Senate seat.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

I think that's what he means by the garbled mess at the end. He's surprised those wacky dems allow him to give up his salary (for some reason) and then kinda brags about how much it is anyway.

Bragging about how much money you aren't making is the most Trump thing I can think of tbh.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

psychotically nearly blowing up the world over pointless military dickwaving is good now because no one involved made any uncouth tweets or said any bad words in a letter

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Man I remember when "no blood for oil" was easy for right-wingers to blow off as disingenuous

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Wylie posted:

If he is going to get reelected, it's because he will inspire similar levels of motivation in that community. It will not be by trying to tack right, because that space will already be occupied.

Oh I completely agree.

But Doug has spent two years surrounded by dipshit K street consultants who are CONVINCED the path to reelection goes through the wealthy Birmingham suburbs or the forgotten Florabama bar voters or some complete nonsense.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

evilweasel posted:

The one thing I have not seen any theorizing on, and I'm sort of surprised about this, is where Manchin and Jones would land. I think Jones will vote to convict (and he voted against Kavanaugh), but he's got a very tough race coming up so he'll be under very intense pressure. Manchin just got re-elected so he's pretty far away from needing to answer to WV voters about his vote (either way) but he'd still be iffy at best unless we're in the scenario where proof of guilt is so overwhelming that there's a serious chance of conviction. I think they matter even in a world where conviction is impossible because if Romney does vote to convict and brings a few people along, the vote to convict being bipartisan and the vote to acquit being partisan will be very meaningful, as will getting a majority of senators. If Romney doesn't flip, and acquittal is bipartisan while conviction is partisan, that also won't be great.

I would be shocked if any of them gave any sort of comment on the matter anytime soon though so it'll be all theoretical for now.

The Democratic Party's decision to betray its principles and support Manchin continues to pay off in spades.....

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 21, 2019

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

FizFashizzle posted:

Oh I completely agree.

But Doug has spent two years surrounded by dipshit K street consultants who are CONVINCED the path to reelection goes through the wealthy Birmingham suburbs or the forgotten Florabama bar voters or some complete nonsense.

I think his path to re-election is nil unless the Republicans run another child molester for some insane reason.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1186289735054090245?s=20
https://twitter.com/ibrahimpols/status/1186007525809938432
https://twitter.com/NinjaEconomics/status/1186099994975035392
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1186250823573102592
https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1186284454135898120
https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1186298818452738048

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 21, 2019

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Paradoxish posted:

Wait, who glorifies debt collectors? I know lawyers who look down on debt collection attorneys as the scum of the Earth.

Maybe I'm not saying it right. The law kind of doesn't apply to debt collectors in the way it seems to for everyone else, and there's a certain appeal to a certain kind of person who is into that kind of thing. I think it's because of how we treat police and inherently dehumanize "criminals" that leads to this kind of thing. Maybe it doesn't get spoken of very much in polite circles? But there are a lot of people who get off on watching people get effectively brutalized by some people who aren't even really part of the justice system (such as it is).

Even just 2 months ago there was a case where some bounty hunters murdered a random guy because he tried to escape from them breaking his car windows, and they were found not guilty. https://fox17.com/news/local/bounty-hunters-who-shot-at-wrong-car-found-not-guilty-in-killing-of-clarksville-dad

That, and there's always some kind of television show following self-described bounty hunters or people repossessing people's poo poo for the reward.

Americans like other people's pain. It isn't that surprising that we have an entire regime built on that right now. It's a cultural thing to declare a subgroup bad and then enjoy watching them get hurt. That's why "illegals" has such traction among the right wing -- they think law and order should be spectacle. Bounty hunting is another manifestation of that, I think.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Wylie posted:

Jones got elected by PoC in Alabama coming out to vote at levels they previously had not, for two reasons: 1. The brainworms that infected white Evangelicals absolutely did not infect black Evangelical churches in Alabama, and they were highly motivated against Moore. 2. Doug Jones, had he not been elected to the Senate, would have been best known as the prosecutor who got two convictions in the 1963 Birmingham church bombing.

If he is going to get reelected, it's because he will inspire similar levels of motivation in that community. It will not be by trying to tack right, because that space will already be occupied.

Seems like the Democratic Party in Alabama might do well to field an actual black candidate next, if so.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BarbarianElephant posted:

I think his path to re-election is nil unless the Republicans run another child molester for some insane reason.
It's 'Bama man. They might run the same child molester again.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It's 'Bama man. They might run the same child molester again.

Thanks Al'Bama...

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/lhwaldron/status/1186296517411442688

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
The Supreme Court today basically dropped any pretense of not being a political body by tossing a ruling against gerrymandering in Michigan today.

Republicans are gonna rule this nation for a looooooong time.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Seems like the Democratic Party in Alabama might do well to field an actual black candidate next, if so.

You'd think, yes. But the Democratic Party in Alabama, as I've said before, is in a sorry state, for reasons that are too weird to get into here. Jones basically ran a statewide campaign by himself; the state party is not functional.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

SchrodingersCat posted:

The Supreme Court today basically dropped any pretense of not being a political body by tossing a ruling against gerrymandering in Michigan today.

I haven't seen anything on this. Links?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

SchrodingersCat posted:

Dems just took back control of the House by a huge margin even with all of the extensive existing gerrymandering though.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Wylie posted:

You'd think, yes. But the Democratic Party in Alabama, as I've said before, is in a sorry state, for reasons that are too weird to get into here. Jones basically ran a statewide campaign by himself; the state party is not functional.

Democratic Leadership's strategy of mostly ignoreing the party in states where it is unlikely to win continues to pay off in spades....

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 21, 2019

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Dems just took back control of the House by a huge margin even with all of the extensive existing gerrymandering though.

That's in part due to the gerrymander itself. Once they fail, they tend to fail very hard. But the wave won't be able to sustain itself on simply "not doing anything." The voters are going to want to get something for the wave, and if the leadership fails to show anything for the faith the voters put in them, the voters are unlikely to do so again. The senate is also a different beast, because the numbers advantage the republicans hold there is more absolute than the regional ones that gerrymandering creates.

'course, without the senate, the house can't really provide the voters with anything all that substantial, so another wave is already being worked against just by virtue of the bicameral system. That's another (another) reason why impeachment is so important. It's the leadership delivering anything.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Prester Jane posted:

Democratic Leadership's strategy of mostly ignoreing the party in states where it is unlikely to win continues to pay off in spades....

The national party has withheld funds from the state party, yes. But that is largely due to the people in charge of the state party being hilariously awful grifters who won't relinquish control of the state party apparatus.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Wylie posted:

The national party has withheld funds from the state party, yes. But that is largely due to the people in charge of the state party being hilariously awful grifters who won't relinquish control of the state party apparatus.

Maybe the National Party should have a stronger top-down organization then. Just thinking out loud, you know?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/SteveMcCluskey/status/1186265502932520960

I think Turkey would be nuts to steal a nuke, but we are living in crazy times.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 21, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Isn’t this latest SCOTUS ruling just in line with their prior ruling a few months ago that said states are essentially allowed to do whatever they want in terms of districting? I didn’t even know there was another case.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You can't count on historic levels of outrage in every election, that's a temporary solution and the underlying problem has to be solved sooner or later.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/swin24/status/1186304700402020355

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/1186262508195274752

It would be outright suicidal.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Of course we let Turkey take the nukes! Too expensive! I made a GREAT DEAL for the Nukes! Turkey is buying OUR GREAT CORN! MAGA

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

mango sentinel posted:

Sure, but who would stop them? The US? Our track record of standing up to despots is a little poo poo, atm.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

haveblue posted:

You can't count on historic levels of outrage in every election, that's a temporary solution and the underlying problem has to be solved sooner or later.

I disagree because demographics are destiny. If the Democrats won this election by such a huge margin, imagine how much easier it will be for them to do it the next time when more Boomers have died off.

With the right (carefully-crafted and focus-group tested) policy proposals the Democrats will handily carry the next Statewide election in Michigan.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Trump is more than likely to give them one.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

Not if we don't do anything about it. You think Trump wouldn't tell the people stationed there to abandon the nukes and run?

It's a crazy thought but you know people are thinking about just what they can get away with right now.

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1186304709453332480

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What would Israel think of another regional nuclear power?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They would be very very very mad, but Putin would be very very happy.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Prester Jane posted:

Maybe the National Party should have a stronger top-down organization then. Just thinking out loud, you know?

I mean, you're not wrong here. But you were before: it's not that Dems don't have a chance to win in Alabama. They do: we have a D senator and just elected the first black mayor in Montgomery in the history of ever. But it is wrong to say that the national party is ignoring Alabama because they think they can't win there. They're trying to starve out the idiots in charge from above, because they're bad at their job. Sure, the national party should clean house. But they can't, for a lot of reasons largely involving race and history that's a little bit more raw in Alabama than elsewhere.

Edit: PJ, please stop doing that thing where you're playing with Poe's Law and posting centrist talking points sarcastically.

Wylie fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 21, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

But Michigan is hosed. Republicans control both branches of the legislature despite receiving far fewer votes. Without a serious supermajority, it’ll be very difficult to dislodge them and claw back all the voter suppression poo poo they put in place when they had top-to-bottom control (which affects national and state-wide elections).

Plus, even though we’ve won the house, gerrymandering makes enacting progressive policy tougher - a smaller democratic margin makes blue dogs tougher to ignore.

E: Michigan isn’t alone here, they’re just the most severe case.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Israel isn't part of NATO, but we treat them as The First of the major Non-NATO Allies (MNNs), so they're not really threatened by a member of NATO... or they wouldn't usually be, since they're functionally a US protectorate. Beyond that, Beebs is kind of into the idea of existential threats he can scream about. He might be into it because it can help his chances to be pres for life.

edit: if the world order is so far gone that Turkey would threaten to nuke/annex/invade Israel, I think it's safe to say that all bets are off.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Isn’t this latest SCOTUS ruling just in line with their prior ruling a few months ago that said states are essentially allowed to do whatever they want in terms of districting? I didn’t even know there was another case.

It is. This is striking down a Sixth Circuit ruling that ruled that Michigan had to redraw the maps. It was appealed to SCOTUS and now SCOTUS reversed the Sixth Circuit decision, in alignment with their prior two "Gerrymandering? Not our problem!" rulings.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

SchrodingersCat posted:

This was SCOTUS bringing one of the federal courts into compliance with their ruling. They already killed rules against federal gerrymandering a while back.

State courts can still rule against it using the state constitution

(Note this link isn't THAT Freep)

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/10/21/michigan-gerrymandering-us-supreme-court/4051876002/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

SchrodingersCat posted:

I've been thinking about the supreme court a lot lately due to every decision landing on party lines, and was curious what defines the rules of how Judges get appointed.

Would it be possible (feasible?) to rewrite those rules to have X judges appointed by the Republican Party, X judges appointed by the Democratic Party, 1 judge appointed by the president to be the tie-breaker (this judge has to be approved by both parties). Additionally any judgements need to pass by a margin of at least 2. This would eliminate the bullshit 5-4 decisions.

How does a proposal like this get made? Do I contact my rep and urge them to get this ball rolling?