Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Latuff just reposted this in honor of the chilean protests

https://twitter.com/LatuffCartoons/status/1186133516918112256

:hmmyes: :ssj:

what were chileans mad wrt Nieto in 2011, btw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

bagual posted:

Latuff just reposted this in honor of the chilean protests

https://twitter.com/LatuffCartoons/status/1186133516918112256

:hmmyes: :ssj:

what were chileans mad wrt Nieto in 2011, btw?

DBZ is a sacred institution in Chile (in all of south america actually).

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Temaukel posted:

DBZ is a sacred institution in Chile (in all of south america actually).

DBZ, El Chavo and Saint Seya seems to be constant references through all Latin America

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Grouchio posted:

How the hell did Chile fall into either dictatorship or civil war in the space of a week? :psyduck:

Neoliberal democracy is giving less and less of a poo poo about keeping appearances, and not just in Chile.

50 years back, rulers were genuinely scared into making concessions by seeing (white) people take to the street.

20 years back or so, they knew they could just paint them as loser and whiners on the news and wait them out.

Give it a few months and it'll be kosher to just sic the dogs and tanks on them, and openly say that anything other than full-on dog-eat-dog oligarchical rule might cause the economy to dip 0,02%, and that's all that matters.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Elias_Maluco posted:

DBZ, El Chavo and Saint Seya seems to be constant references through all Latin America

That and Supercampeones. Mazinger Z if you’re a bit older too

But more than anything else The Simpsons. Like no joke I think 50% of the spoken word in Buenos Aires is Simpsons references

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Doesn't Chile score the highest in Latin America when it comes to international test scores?

Is their pension system that bad compared to other Latin American countries?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Pochoclo posted:

But more than anything else The Simpsons. Like no joke I think 50% of the spoken word in Buenos Aires is Simpsons references

I vaguely remember that giant robot anime, but I think Brazil skipped the other one

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

Wasn't the arrest unplanned? They just happened to run into him while searching a house and arrested him.

That was the official version they gave that day, they backtracked the next day and said it was a capture operation. I think the operation was hosed up in so many levels including the federal government. The last time El Chapo was captured, it was done at 4am and the army took control of the city before the green light. This time, it was done at loving 3pm and it seems they didn't have any backup or reinforcements on standby, this screams of poor planning and someone in the government should resign or be fired because of this.

My speculation is that they wanted a victory for the new "Guardia Nacional" and didn't really think the reaction was going to be this big.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Elias_Maluco posted:

I vaguely remember that giant robot anime, but I think Brazil skipped the other one

Supercampeões a.k.a. Captain Tsubasa aired on Manchete back in the 90s, then Cartoon Network in the 2000s. Of course, it wasn't as popular as DBZ or Saint Seiya and its characters didn't get to be household names.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pochoclo posted:

Simpsons references are the best, this is known worldwide. There may or may not soon be an Irish political party based on that.

One of my favourite things to do travelling abroad is watch the Simpsons in the local language, always good for foreign language practice ;)

Are there multiple Spanish dubs like there are with French?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Negrostrike posted:

Supercampeões a.k.a. Captain Tsubasa aired on Manchete back in the 90s, then Cartoon Network in the 2000s. Of course, it wasn't as popular as DBZ or Saint Seiya and its characters didn't get to be household names.

Oh, than is something I skipped

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Negrostrike posted:

I definitely remember people trying to pull Tsubasa's 'chute de trivela' on middle school PE. Hell, Super Campeões is the biggest media source of football memes in Brazil alongside FUTBOL BRASILERO NOVENTA Y SIEIS (that Superstar Soccer 96 bootleg)

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Always felt it was weirdly funny that an anime about freaking soccer would fail to catch fire in freaking Brazil.

Then again, if there was a country in which regular daily life had tons of people flying around and firing ki-blasts at each other, I can see how folks would shrug at a foreign simile of it, and instead focus on this amazing, odd new show about teens -walking- on a grass field and kicking balls at goals!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So is the Chilean president trying to become Pinochet II?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Supercampeoes is pretty popular in Brazil, just not as popular as Saint Seiya/DBZ. I think the crossover between "kids that liked playing soccer" and "kids that stayed at home watching cartoons" wasn't huge during the 90s, hehe. Everyone could appreciate punchwizards tho.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Grouchio posted:

So is the Chilean president trying to become Pinochet II?

Through genuine idiocy, I'd say.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

PT6A posted:

Simpsons references are the best, this is known worldwide. There may or may not soon be an Irish political party based on that.

One of my favourite things to do travelling abroad is watch the Simpsons in the local language, always good for foreign language practice ;)

Are there multiple Spanish dubs like there are with French?

As far as I know, pretty much all the Spanish dubs you encounter in Latin America are from Mexico, to the point where in the extremely rare case I found an argentinian dub (or one from Spain, ONDA VITAL!) it felt super weird

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

https://twitter.com/elmostrador/status/1186358278760075264

Somebody got told off.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Plutonis posted:

I definitely remember people trying to pull Tsubasa's 'chute de trivela' on middle school PE. Hell, Super Campees is the biggest media source of football memes in Brazil alongside FUTBOL BRASILERO NOVENTA Y SIEIS (that Superstar Soccer 96 bootleg)

I do remember it mostly because it blew my mind for having a :siren:Brazilian:siren: character in an anime. The flashback scenes of the aforementioned character playing in the Brazilian national team with Brazil flags anywhere also made me :monocle:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tsubasa straight up plays on São Paulo at some point

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Fun fact: Aldebarán (Gold saint for Taurus) is supposed to be Brazilian as well!

On a related note, Mexican Netflix just acquired all the seasons of Saint Seiya, and they're the remastered version too so they look pretty decent. The audio is a bit wonky, but it mostly works well for satisfying nostalgia needs. The only thing gone is the ridiculous theme song in castellano "los guardianes del uuuuniverso...."

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

El Chingon posted:

My speculation is that they wanted a victory for the new "Guardia Nacional" and didn't really think the reaction was going to be this big.

Well, the Guardia Nacional is Federal level, and like I said in my post this seems more of a State level gently caress-up. You may have missed my edit that said that the DEA had a meeting with the Governor just a month ago, so it's not far-fetched to think that the one who really wanted the big win was him, not only because he asked for more money in that meeting, but also because he's from the PRI, and it would benefit them politically to get such a target without help from AMLO.

Freezer posted:

Fun fact: Aldebarán (Gold saint for Taurus) is supposed to be Brazilian as well!

On a related note, Mexican Netflix just acquired all the seasons of Saint Seiya, and they're the remastered version too so they look pretty decent. The audio is a bit wonky, but it mostly works well for satisfying nostalgia needs.

There's also a Mexican saint, but my memory fails me what his constellation was. I'm gonna check the series...

Freezer posted:

The only thing gone is the ridiculous theme song in castellano "los guardianes del uuuuniverso...."
...Yeah, no deal. I demand that it aligns perfectly with my childhood memories, goddamnit. :argh:

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Kal-L posted:

Well, the Guardia Nacional is Federal level, and like I said in my post this seems more of a State level gently caress-up. You may have missed my edit that said that the DEA had a meeting with the Governor just a month ago, so it's not far-fetched to think that the one who really wanted the big win was him, not only because he asked for more money in that meeting, but also because he's from the PRI, and it would benefit them politically to get such a target without help from AMLO.

The governor doesn't have control of the guardia nacional or army forces, which you can clearly see on videos taken by people, and the federal government owned up to the operation.

quote:

...Yeah, no deal. I demand that it aligns perfectly with my childhood memories, goddamnit. :argh:

#nochanges

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

That loving speech, hahahaha we're all hosed

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Sephyr posted:

Give it a few months and it'll be kosher to just sic the dogs and tanks on them, and openly say that anything other than full-on dog-eat-dog oligarchical rule might cause the economy to dip 0,02%, and that's all that matters.
Yep, even in Australia with all the supposed high indicators of wealth and education, we have government and media personalities saying poo poo like "we should just treat protestors like speed bumps". The mask is slipping and noone cares.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Well, I guess Bolivia didn't want to be left out of the massive protests...

Uruguayans must be trembling right now

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Wait, this was the Saint Seiya opening in Argentinian TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6dbcQaOddk

Are you telling me other countries in LatAm got the godawful Spanish intro? :lol: Next you're all gonna tell me that you had the DIGIMON ARE THE CHAMPIONS song for the digivolution sequences.

Also obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYoIYGggaZM

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mr. Nemo posted:

Well, I guess Bolivia didn't want to be left out of the massive protests...

Uruguayans must be trembling right now

Trembling with barely-contained rage at the system

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is happening tonight about a block from where I live. On poorer neighborhoods than this one (even though I'm not rich by any stretch, I recognize my privilege) they have it much much worse (many wounded, dead, kidnapped, tortured, etc.)
https://twitter.com/karibric/status/1186439393667665921

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 22, 2019

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Isn't this a huge overreaction by the government? I'm going by recent examples such as Hong Kong or Barcelona.

It seems to me like deploying the army takes the situation from problematic to "Oh poo poo".

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
My hero :kiss:
https://twitter.com/eltuiterdedani/status/1186441693865938944

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Yes, it is! And our Dear Leader has it in his head that he cannot give an inch, not now, not ever, how dare the peasants.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Freezer posted:

Isn't this a huge overreaction by the government? I'm going by recent examples such as Hong Kong or Barcelona.

It seems to me like deploying the army takes the situation from problematic to "Oh poo poo".

Piñera is an extremely stupid person hth

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
yeah the fact that this started not out of Piñera's deliberate wish to enthrone himself as a second Pinochet (more like a second Fujimori, I guess 🤔) but out of an increasingly moronic series of double-, triple- and quadruple-downs, each in order to save face from the previous gently caress-up, somehow makes it worse, not better.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What's going on in Bolivia? It is because people not think Morales victory is legit right?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 22, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i believe morales said he wasn't going to run, then changed his mind and called a referendum to overturn term limits. the referendum failed, then a short time later the supreme court nullified term limits and he legally ran again.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Latin America is on fire, is like another round of "spring", except it doesn't feels like spring at all

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

The paladins of good morals getting ready for work

https://twitter.com/andrewflood/status/1186271507292545024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Negrostrike posted:

The paladins of good morals getting ready for work

https://twitter.com/andrewflood/status/1186271507292545024

Are we all such cynics that we don’t believe the governments explanation of this?

They’re just sharing menthalatum lmao