Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rad Valtar posted:

Did you guys just do the games you own or did you include any game you have previously owned?

Rated 8+, owned, for sanity's sake. I have way too many ratings of 5s for mediocre games that won't ever show up in contention for top 20, much less top 9.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I don't mean any offense, but this list comes off like one for a 60 year old man :raise:
Good thing I didn't post mine, since it is a list of grognard games. :smoobles:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

This pub meeple is just brutal with the comparisons for me
Root or SidCon
Pax Pamir or Inis
Eclipse or Antiquity
don't... please don't make me choose...

Anyways, this is what I ended up with after filtering down to my 9+ rated owned games.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

Did you guys just do the games you own or did you include any game you have previously owned?

It seems bizarre to me that someone might not own their 9 favorite games in the world. I guess if someone else in your consistent gaming group owns it?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

CaptainRightful posted:

It seems bizarre to me that someone might not own their 9 favorite games in the world. I guess if someone else in your consistent gaming group owns it?

For me this is Spirit Island: TWO people in my consistent gaming group own it, and I've borrowed it before for like.. 4 months then given it back with no issues.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Ravendas posted:

This pub meeple is just brutal with the comparisons for me
Root or SidCon
Pax Pamir or Inis
Eclipse or Antiquity
don't... please don't make me choose...

Anyways, this is what I ended up with after filtering down to my 9+ rated owned games.

I'll just cheat and say this is mine too.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

I thought TGZ would make it but it didn't, this feels about right otherwise.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

i guess we're all doing this so hi, i have a wargames problem

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Pretty sure this is the same list I would have come up with manually. I like co-ops, clearly.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Tell me more about Mysthea

A deeper, thinkier, more interesting blood rage.

The End fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 21, 2019

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Here's mine guys, I'm pretty satisfied with what it came up with

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Any recommendations for a group that appreciates Memoir' 44 and Axis and Allies 41, but would like it slightly more nerdy/simulationist?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

The End posted:

A deeper, thinker, more interesting blood rage.

And much much longer. I really like it too, but it feels like it just runs too long with anything more than three - and if anything I could imagine it getting longer with repeat plays and better knowledge of the cards.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Tias posted:

Any recommendations for a group that appreciates Memoir' 44 and Axis and Allies 41, but would like it slightly more nerdy/simulationist?

Conflict of Heroes. 3rd edition is out now.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Tias posted:

Combat Commander: Europe

Tias
May 25, 2008

Terminally Bored posted:

Conflict of Heroes. 3rd edition is out now.

Seems to be sold out..

cenotaph posted:

Combat Commander: Europe

Groovy, I'll see if I can dig up a copy!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tias posted:

War Room! :v:

If you're too much of a casual to drop $240 on that one, you might check out two grand strategy WWII games from GMT: Triumph and Tragedy and Cataclysm. Both emphasize political, diplomatic, and economic aspects in addition to pushing your dudes around Europe, and both take a big-picture view of the war with a lot of abstraction and alt-history, but Cataclysm leans in even more to the high-level abstractions than T&T does. Lots of differences between the two are detailed in this BGG thread.

I have no clue what tactical/squad games are beloved these days, but there are quite a few. Also consider operational-scale games which take place on a scale between Memoir 44 and the Axis & Allies series and involve coordinating a decent number of military units in a front. Empire of the Sun is an interesting example, though as a card-driven game it's not all that similar to those you mentioned.

How is Axis & Allies these days anyway? I last played the 2004 "Revised" version and felt it turned into stalemate quickly, due to no stacking limits whatsoever.

Tias
May 25, 2008

The game board on War Room really irks me for some reason. Why iz round :confused:

Well, A&A 1941 is the "lite" edition, and it has a bunch of things that endear it to me:
- Can be set up in 5-7 minutes and played in two hours with unskilled players.
- Retails below 25 dollars, at least in my country. Pieces are a bit on the cheap side, but look fine.
- Well balanced. Both sides can win no problem.
- Actually a bit more true to history than before. A peeve with axis&allies to us milhist types was always that it's possible to command way too many divisions and create them too quickly compared to the real story. Here production numbers are scaled back, which makes the balance look kinda real.

Cons would be the reliance on dice luck. It's not as bad as in Memoir 44' for example, and was always part of the Axis&Allies model, but it should be mentioned. Also, it can be played with 5 players, but leaves one in the suck zone as the soviets. They're nice to play as part of an allied play bloc, but as one player they're bound to get in trouble between the Axis powers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Something that cropped up on Facebook:

* If it's named solely for a place, it's a Euro.
* If it's named solely for a date, it's an 18XX.
* If it's named for both, it's a wargame.

I'm trying hard to come up with a counterexample.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I did one of these as wel, just over 35 games that I have/had

Predictably Power Grid is the best, though sometimes it does feel like choosing between your children.

Played Kemet for the first time last night and it was pretty good for a man on maps game. I'd place it as better than Bloodrage but worse than Inis for me. I snuck a win with a cheeky little teleport.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jedit posted:

New York 1901.

(E: Fixed link).

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Hooray, Feuerland just confirmed the mini expansion for aFfO for 5 € on their Facebook page.

And the Fields of Arle mini Expansion (which was in the board game advent Calendar) with 2 buildings and a new cart for 5 € as well.

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 21, 2019

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
1989 Dawn of Freedom is another: unless dawn of Freedom counts as a place.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hello goons. I think you might appreciate this bit from detective game Disco Elysium:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hello goons. I think you might appreciate this bit from detective game Disco Elysium:

:eyepop:

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
https://twitter.com/g0m/status/1101683688360869889?s=19

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Jedit posted:

Bruxelles 1893 too.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Oh and there's plenty of wargames that are just the place: Gettysburg, Stalingrad, etc

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jedit posted:

SpaceCorp: 2025-2300 AD is the best I can think of but not a place

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 21, 2019

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Candyland

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Jedit posted:

1960, if nothing after the colon counts?

meh, i guess "Solely for"

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 21, 2019

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I'd unironically play a euro-style game where the theme was just "cubes" and they didn't represent anything else.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Synthbuttrange posted:

Thanks, now I don't have to spend any Real on it
Disco Elysium is some good rear end poo poo

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Oh and there's plenty of wargames that are just the place: Gettysburg, Stalingrad, etc

Those are named after battles, not places
:goonsay:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Safety Biscuits posted:

I mean yeah but the battles are themselves named after places, and by the transitive property...

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Safety Biscuits posted:

https://goo.gl/maps/NNnnqTi3HybJkY4P6

The reason they are named such is because of where they were fought, right? I guess they could have called it the winning battle of the North or something but that's like way too long.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Here's my top 9. Lots of coops with some euros mixed in.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mayveena posted:

https://goo.gl/maps/NNnnqTi3HybJkY4P6

The reason they are named such is because of where they were fought, right? I guess they could have called it the winning battle of the North or something but that's like way too long.
...the goonsay smiley means they were intentionally saying something dumb.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Also a profoundly under rated game IMO

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Got my second game of Pax Pamir in. For the second time, I pulled a faction up from the trash only to get sniped by a double dominance card for the final victory check. :smith: Next time I'm going to make it a point to switch to every faction just to break my habit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

tokenbrownguy posted:

Got my second game of Pax Pamir in. For the second time, I pulled a faction up from the trash only to get sniped by a double dominance card for the final victory check. :smith: Next time I'm going to make it a point to switch to every faction just to break my habit.

In my most recent game I had a solid dominance ruined by a new player that sabotaged himself by accident too. Luckily I went and screwed myself over by taking a betray action I didn't need to do which cost me most cylinders and ARGHHH what a great game.