Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Depends posted:

I mean 8GB total in my system, I could only give it 5 at the time. A lot of them people then were complaining that it was using 7-9 on their systems while playing.

PO3 used to have a warning pop up that it wouldn't run well with less than 8GB of RAM given to it. Honestly big mod packs just throw in together too many mods and go, oh well, guess we'll deal with 10 minute load times and high RAM usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So is there an "optimum" level of RAM to allocate to Minecraft? I've been having stuttering lately and I see a lot of people recommending turning down the amount of RAM you give it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Ideally you want to give the game just enough ram to be able to comfortably load everything with a small buffer overhead. In reality I just give it 10gb of ram to play with and never notice any problems.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
6.5GB is what I tend to use for the big packs. Java's GC strategies are really sensitive to the amount of RAM involved. There is a GC strategy recommended 8+GB but curse doesn't auto switch to it, and it kind of sucks anyway compared to not using that much RAM. If something need 7+ GB I tend to just not play that pack because the author is clearly a sociopath.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

30.5 Days posted:

If something need 7+ GB I tend to just not play that pack because the author is clearly a sociopath.

I assumed they all were anyway.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

drat and I thought my personal modpacks needing 5gb to run were lovely and unoptimized :v:

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Maguoob posted:

PO3... ...oh well, guess we'll deal with 10 minute load times and high RAM usage.

I managed to get my load time for PO3 down to 4 minutes by trimming all the bullshit they added to it.

They should have a streamer and non-streamer version. Hell, removing the dumb pong game cut the load time by 15 minutes alone.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jon Joe posted:

Oh yeah I have 8gb, I just have a 6 year old cpu and 7 year old graphics card.

i have a friend that minecrafts on an ancient laptop, and his bottleneck is always the 8gb ram for big packs, everything else runs fine.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

PO3: Why the gently caress is Mekanism gated behind Pneumaticraft??? How do I even find oil on a skyblock and how does this mod even work??

Also gently caress Grains of Infinity, the most pointless poo poo ever to have existed in modded minecraft.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Any advice on how big a Thaumcraft section of a base should be? The embers room is already pretty big and now that actually going deeper into thaum I'm gonna dedicate a section of my underground base to it.

Also debating just building a wizard tower.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

xanthan posted:

Any advice on how big a Thaumcraft section of a base should be? The embers room is already pretty big and now that actually going deeper into thaum I'm gonna dedicate a section of my underground base to it.

Also debating just building a wizard tower.

I like a 3-4 story wizard house with 11x11 floorspace minimum, although I tend to go a bit more so I can have clear walkways around the work areas. You may also end up making a small hut in a magical forest biome to make use of the strong aura there for a couple crafting stations, although those don't need any infrastructure around them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Half the point of thaumcraft is building neat looking things so just build something that looks cool.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"how much space do I need"
"cool"
"uh"

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Half the point of thaumcraft is building neat looking things so just build something that looks cool.

I mean, yeah. The only reason I didn't go deep into it earlier was because I saw clockwork magic and dove into embers.

gently caress it, wizard tower!

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

AceClown posted:

PO3: Why the gently caress is Mekanism gated behind Pneumaticraft??? How do I even find oil on a skyblock and how does this mod even work??

Also gently caress Grains of Infinity, the most pointless poo poo ever to have existed in modded minecraft.

There's a lot of oil in twilight forest. I typically set up an IE pumpjack with a spot loader (single chunk) and an ender tank.

As for Pneumaticraft, all you really need to set up....actually let me get back to my PC and I'll screen cap all you basically need for plastic.

It gets more fun in Titan mode (/s). Mekanism is gated behind Pneumaticraft AND Astral Sorcery.

Good times.

Edit: auto-correct can get hosed.

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 21, 2019

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

xanthan posted:

I mean, yeah. The only reason I didn't go deep into it earlier was because I saw clockwork magic and dove into embers.

gently caress it, wizard tower!

Yeah, wizard tower works well with Thaumcraft. The way I do it is:
First floor has my workbench, research, crucible and thaumatorium. General workspace stuff that doesn't take up a lot of room.
Second floor has my essentia stuff, with jars lining the walls and the essentia smeltery either in the middle, or against/lodged in a wall for wireless essentia convenience. This takes up a huge amount of space no matter what because of all the jars, and will basically define the shape of your tower. I like to put my centrifuge here too, but you could put it on the first floor to save space.
Third floor has my infusion altar. It's close enough to the jars on the second floor that it can reach all of them, and it doesn't actually care about the floor being in the way, but I like to leave the central block below the altar empty so that essentia flies up into the empty block instead of rubbing against the ceiling. The altar and candles take up a lot of space too, but iirc TC5 has a hard cap on the amount of candles you can throw down so it's actually slightly more compact than my essentia room setup.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 21, 2019

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

AceClown posted:

Oil, if immersive eng is in, you use the drill thing in each chunk till you find one with oil, then build the oil well.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Arkitektbmw posted:

As for Pneumaticraft, all you really need to set up....actually let me get back to my PC and I'll screen cap all you basically need for plastic.

Thanks man, that would be extremely helpful.

I'm also stuck in that I can't find any Landia ore in the nether at all, but that's a common problem it seems, I'm about ready to just cheat in the two ingots I need.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

brace yourself, because landia sucks

not in the abyssalcraft 'this is hell' way, it's just the most boring ugly place in minecraft

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Patware posted:

brace yourself, because landia sucks

not in the abyssalcraft 'this is hell' way, it's just the most boring ugly place in minecraft

Yeah if your world is just vaporwave colored vanilla minecraft why even bother having it. Landia was a really frustrating part, along with some of the other mods.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm trying to play DDSS with my son on LAN and it works great, the first time we play, then the server crashes whenever he tries to connect. Can anyone make sense of this log?

https://paste.dimdev.org/huyonajeqa.mccrash

The log says he's not online? I have him logged on, in his own minecraft account and everything.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I've never seen that before. He's using a legitimate copy of Minecraft?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Hedonist posted:

I've never seen that before. He's using a legitimate copy of Minecraft?

yeah before I had him just doing the profile name change in the userprofiles.josn or whatever, but when that first had this same error I went out and bought a legit account for him in the hopes it would fix it.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Doorknob Slobber posted:

yeah before I had him just doing the profile name change in the userprofiles.josn or whatever, but when that first had this same error I went out and bought a legit account for him in the hopes it would fix it.

His launcher is running in offline mode or wasn't able to authenticate with Mojang.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Aw man. I'm having a lot of fun with Create in FTB Unstable

e: I should really make a washer in it for all the white concrete I need to make that paving :allears: it's really fun

double edit: washers are loving weird and potentially bugged and I gave up this morning after throwing one together in creative mode to test out if it worked and only managed to get one of four designs working even though all had the same fan/water/belt spacings

Wungus fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 22, 2019

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Good news! My computer actually has 16gb ram so I can the the insanely sized packs (I forgot I had this much!)

I’ve been playing D&D&SS and I really like quest system for teaching me new stuff. Do any other packs do something like this?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Jon Joe posted:

Good news! My computer actually has 16gb ram so I can the the insanely sized packs (I forgot I had this much!)

I’ve been playing D&D&SS and I really like quest system for teaching me new stuff. Do any other packs do something like this?

Not so much, a lot of the popular packs have an issue where they just assume familiarity with a mod and the quest book is just "make this thing because reasons".

If you've never played it, Blightfall comes very highly recommended, it's got a custom pre-made map and is genuinely fun to play.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

AceClown posted:

Not so much, a lot of the popular packs have an issue where they just assume familiarity with a mod and the quest book is just "make this thing because reasons".

If you've never played it, Blightfall comes very highly recommended, it's got a custom pre-made map and is genuinely fun to play.

The flip side is the awful 'watch me turn every single thing into a quest' thing.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I don't want to have a quest to make every single item, but I also do want to have quests to guide people that aren't necessarily familiar with the mods and their mechanics, and point out helpful tips regarding how to use them.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Personally I enjoy quests that request something relatively difficult to make that requires some infrastructure, but don't run you through the whole chain of machines you need. The quest(s) may or may not need to tell you what the infrastructure is, depending on how easy it is to find information on the mod.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
I wouldn’t mind seeing some smaller mod packs that just focus almost exclusively on one tech pack for just a one day type experience instead of packing everything in together and work on it for months.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im noticing there is no bontania in most of the new packs, is it not updated?

And GTNH diamonds? whats my best optino to find a vein of that?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I thought Vazkii stopped updating it and now it's just other people doing maintenance mode? It's a shame imo, it's one of my favorites

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah i sort of miss it too.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Meskhenet posted:

Default option: test every ore chunk until you find one.

Realistic option: cheat in an electric prospector's scanner and now you have a map of every ore vein around you.

There are actual scanning options at lower tech levels but they're all so, so bad. Cheat in the good scanner and never look back.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Meskhenet posted:

Do you actually need a whole vein? or just like one or two for a macerator or something? if you only need a couple you can use that dowsing rod looking thing to find small ores if you stick one diamond in it. That's what I did for my first macerator until i just found a vein.

I think it's called a prospector? it's cheap and lovely but works for that imo

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Botania still exists and works and everything. I'm including it, of course. Though from what I've seen of packs released lately, have any of them had a theme where Botania even fits?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Hooplah posted:

Do you actually need a whole vein? or just like one or two for a macerator or something? if you only need a couple you can use that dowsing rod looking thing to find small ores if you stick one diamond in it. That's what I did for my first macerator until i just found a vein.

I think it's called a prospector? it's cheap and lovely but works for that imo

The ore finding wand, and it's hardly lovely. By filling your inventory with the relevant ores, you can just dig a tunnel at y50ish and identify every single vein without digging down. In the nether, you can dig at y11 and identify 8-9 of 11 veins just from that height, with small ores for the other two.

Regarding small ores, if you find a secondary/tertiary small ore in an ore vein chunk, the corresponding ore vein is probably there.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Despite using otherwise identical java settings, E2:E and Sevtech Ages both lag horrendously for me while D&D&SS does not. Is there any way I can identify the responsible mod(s) without one by one testing them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish minecraft looked like this normally.