Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

CyberPingu posted:

Can't have many complaints about still being 6 points clear but it's annoying that it had to be Utd to end our winning streak.

According to Premier League-era Liverpool tradition, it should have involved a loss to a relegation struggler weighed down by an additional financially-induced points deduction with nothing to play for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

West007 posted:

I think United set up well tactically but got betrayed again by their poo poo squad, namely Gashley Young / Rojo.

They did, OP.

Liverpool never looked like getting anything out of the game until the last 15-20 min. Think it reinforces the notion that you stop Robertson/Alexander-Arnold, you drastically reduce the chances they create. Glad that Ox and Keita are back to hopefully provide more drive and creativity from midfield.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Brony Car posted:

According to Premier League-era Liverpool tradition, it should have involved a loss to a relegation struggler weighed down by an additional financially-induced points deduction with nothing to play for.

I mean that almost happened

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
We will go back to our normal formation and let teams like Newcastle win

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
Is today the day Liverpool lost the league? Sure feels like a turning point.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Backdoor Delivery posted:

Can we start giving people 6ers for comments like this and "well that's them won the league" this early in the season. Even for us its incessant shitposting

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Backdoor Delivery posted:

It's loving October and we're six points clear for fucks sake. We haven't won the league. We haven't lost the league.

I think Klopp needs to make a permanent change to the formation. We need to set up in a 4-2-3-1 against these poo poo low block sides because we just don't have enough penetration through the middle. With Keita, Lallana, and Oxlade-Chamberlain back they can all fill in that 10 spot or we can move Firmino back and play one of them out wide.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Can we start giving people 6ers for comments like this and "well that's them won the league" this early in the season. Even for us its incessant shitposting

*Posts “Pooshited” 600 times a month

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

*Posts “Pooshited” 600 times a month

That is warranted and has a basis for truth.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Imo it was smart by Liverpool to draw this game to keep Ole in a job for a bit longer.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I thought United did a pretty good job and clearly came with a game plan. Before scoring they closed down Liverpool defenders to shut down the service. After scoring they put every man in defense. Probably not a bad blueprint against Liverpool if your team has the legs to do it (Young doesn’t)

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

Imo it was smart by Liverpool to draw this game to keep Ole in a job for a bit longer.

also the actual reason shaqiri didn't play

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
well, guess i was wrong about liverpool winning. looks like it's not their year after all.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
ole getting a lot of credit here for setting up his poo poo team to play defensively against the league leaders

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Lex Neville posted:

also the actual reason shaqiri didn't play

What is the actual reason Shaqiri has barely played this season, does anyone know?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

sticksy posted:

What is the actual reason Shaqiri has barely played this season, does anyone know?

He isn’t better than the players in front of him?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

sticksy posted:

He's apparently been hampered by a lot of injuries.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

CyberPingu posted:

Honestly if I were a mod, which I am not, I would give you a 6 for this post.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Honestly if I were a mod, which I am not, I would give you a 6 for this post.

I agree and I hate about 90% of the posts you make and 95% of the posts I make

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Plucky little manchester united

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

sticksy posted:

Yeah he got an injury coming off the last international break, which he took off to spend more time on the training ground.

Exactly what the injury is, is not altogether clear.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

wrt Shaqiri I remember a vague 'groin issue' excuse being given out by the Swiss national team earlier in the year, and reading that was code for an STD, which is most likely a load of poo poo but would be very funny.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

“This is an issue we have to discuss,” said the Liverpool manager. “The process [allows] the ref to make the decision or not because they have VAR. The ref thinks: ‘Let it run – we have VAR.’ But then VAR says it can’t be overruled because it was not clear. How can he say it’s not a foul? I was 100% sure. I said, ‘Wow.’ I was not angry, I was surprised. I think everyone can agree it was a foul but with VAR it is not a clear foul. That is the situation.

“We didn’t lose but it was an obvious foul. There was clear contact and Divock Origi goes down. They carried on and counterattacked. Yes, there is contact, I’m sure they said that but it is not a ‘clear foul’. That doesn’t work. That’s just not how it should be.”

Solskjær took the opposing view when asked if it was an infringement. “No chance – we’re not playing basketball. It’s never a foul. I don’t think Keano [Roy Keane] would say that’s a foul. I thought the referee needs praising. It’s not often we do that. He let it be a derby game, it wasn’t like you couldn’t touch anyone.”

hmmmmm

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Solksjaer's a bad human being.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Matip is a dullard. The way Rashford tricked him into giving up the space to score the first is symptomatic of why he should be third or fourth choice behind Gomez and Lovren. He cannot be relied upon.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Reprisal posted:

Matip is a dullard. The way Rashford tricked him into giving up the space to score the first is symptomatic of why he should be third or fourth choice behind Gomez and Lovren. He cannot be relied upon.

You seem to pull out the absolute drizzling shits of takes when it comes to Liverpool's defenders.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Reprisal posted:

Literally been our best centre back in 2019 but yeah one bad decision and he's worse than Lovren

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I mean, I don't disagree with either. I don't think it was necessarily a foul, and the ref let a lot more egregious offenses go the other way, probably because (like Ole says), it was a derby game and refs will let players be a little rougher in those (even if they possibly shouldn't).

But Klopp's right too. The whole "let it run because VAR" is bullshit, especially when combined with the New And Improved PL Offside Rule[*]. Go back to the United - Arsenal game and Arsenal's equalizer. Aubameyang was initially flagged offside, and due to the new ruling he was flagged offside the moment he seemed to be offside. De Gea and probably a few other United defenders saw the flag and stopped playing at full effort. Aubameyang scored, then VAR ruled that he hadn't actually been offside at all and the goal stood.

You could say that the United defenders (and others in similar situations) should've played at 100% regardless of the offside flag or whatever, and I wouldn't disagree, but they're still human beings. It's the same as other vague bullshit rules like "you're not actually offside if you're not affecting play". Yeah you're not touching the ball, but you're still drawing the keeper's attention and possibly defenders to you.

* = "Where there is a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity and the assistant referee is not certain whether the attacker actively involved is in an offside position, the assistant should delay indicating the offence until the phase of play has concluded.

Where there is a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity and the assistant referee is certain the attacker actively involved is in an offside position, then the assistant should indicate the offence immediately."

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pooshited

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I didn’t watch the game but there are a lot of words about it?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I didn’t watch the game but there are a lot of words about it?

Theres only 4 words needed:

Liverpoo
Pooshited
VAR Bad

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Reprisal posted:

sounds like someone who hasn't watched the other games liverpool have played this season

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

If Pepe is going to press in on throws, teams should hit them with that one two move that Sheffield just did. Pretty bad.

Also, lol Pepe

gtkor fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 21, 2019

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I think a suspension for Xhaka might actually be good

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

T Bowl posted:

I think a suspension for Xhaka might actually be good

You're not sure though?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

gtkor posted:

If Pepe is going to press in on throws, teams should hit them with that one two move that Sheffield just did. Pretty bad.

Also, lol Pepe

was he trying not to score or is he that completely one-footed?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

pik_d posted:

You're not sure though?

Well it depends when it happens. Palace next or the cup against Liverpool after that.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

T Bowl posted:

Well it depends when it happens. Palace next or the cup against Liverpool after that.

Because it wont actually matter against Liverpool?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

pik_d posted:

Because it wont actually matter against Liverpool?

Yeah he won't play then anyway so it'll be useless. But then Wolves it would be Liecester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Farcenal