Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Hellsau posted:

https://pastebin.com/NW1XRAMh

Yes, though Caryatid is most important because it taps for all the colors. You only need one creature, and once you're looping through your deck you can eventually find Druid + Expedite + Slip/Crash to win.

The manabase blows. Colors are fine but tap lands are pretty terrible. Young Pyro also doesn't really work because enchantments. Speaking of enchantments, I missed on two consecutive Communes while going off, which isn't great, I won anyway but it could have mattered - going down a card is bad when you get so many loots, so maybe Dragon Mantle or something has to go in.

Also solitaire mode is broken I guess? I cannot cast this Slip through Space for some reason, but they were castable in a random match I played in the freeform lobby (lost to Marvel into Ugin):

You're not going to fizzle if you have mana creature + Ascendancy and are going off. The standard version fizzled because it didn't have enough cantrips and had to play garbage like Taigam's Scheming. This is just mono-card draw.

i'm just recalling from the modern version of the deck that running out of cards was an issue, since all your cantrips only kept parity. Obviously having treasure cruise is a huge difference, but the modern version had scarscale ritual as well as ideas unbound. So it's worth a thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Are there any (standard) cases where you are not allowed to assign multiple blockers against one attacking creature?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Are there any (standard) cases where you are not allowed to assign multiple blockers against one attacking creature?

certain creatures/cards have "this creature may not be blocked by more than 1 creature." That's it, though.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Slim pickings: https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid...egal%3Astandard

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

https://pastebin.com/NW1XRAMh

Yes, though Caryatid is most important because it taps for all the colors. You only need one creature, and once you're looping through your deck you can eventually find Druid + Expedite + Slip/Crash to win.

The manabase blows. Colors are fine but tap lands are pretty terrible. Young Pyro also doesn't really work because enchantments. Speaking of enchantments, I missed on two consecutive Communes while going off, which isn't great, I won anyway but it could have mattered - going down a card is bad when you get so many loots, so maybe Dragon Mantle or something has to go in.

Also solitaire mode is broken I guess? I cannot cast this Slip through Space for some reason, but they were castable in a random match I played in the freeform lobby (lost to Marvel into Ugin):

You're not going to fizzle if you have mana creature + Ascendancy and are going off. The standard version fizzled because it didn't have enough cantrips and had to play garbage like Taigam's Scheming. This is just mono-card draw.

What about Phoenix for a sideboard plan?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Okay so as a corollary, why the gently caress is this written this way: "Each creature can only block a single attacker, but the defending player may choose to block an attacking creature with more than one creature."? (from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering_rules#Declare_blockers) Have I lost all reading comprehension or does that not literally say each creature can only block a single attacker and then immediately contradicts that?

Edit: Oh is this about games that aren't 1v1 or something?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Okay so as a corollary, why the gently caress is this written this way: "Each creature can only block a single attacker, but the defending player may choose to block an attacking creature with more than one creature."? (from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering_rules#Declare_blockers) Have I lost all reading comprehension or does that not literally say each creature can only block a single attacker and then immediately contradicts that?

It's not the most elegant wording, but you have it mixed up a bit. Each defender can block at most one attacker, but multiple defenders can block a single attacker together as a group.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Have I lost all reading comprehension or does that not literally say each creature can only block a single attacker and then immediately contradicts that?

One creature cannot block two attacking creatures. Creatures can block one creature at a time (there are creatures that are exceptions to this).

An attacking creature can be blocked by multiple creatures. Each blocking creature can choose to block an attacking creature as their one creature to block, but that is independent of whether other creatures are also choosing to block that creature.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Got it. Thanks!

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
My hot take is that this format is gonna be dope, and I love that they started it off as a no-bans wild west

also that the format this is going to actually kill is legacy, which is unsalvagable

redux
Apr 23, 2008

Hellsau posted:

GoatBots is nonstop busy on MTGO. Anyway here's my initial pass at Jeskai Ascendancy:

Was thinking about this and doesn't Emry and 2 Mox Ambers let you cycle your entire deck with an ascendancy in play? Also makes a ton of blue mana, could win with lab maniac Jace.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

all this talk about blocking multiple creatures made me look up hundred-handed one and holy poo poo that was a rare lmao

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ShaneB posted:

Oko is over $65 btw

I just bought pair, one Foil and one Borderless on eBay. Here's hoping the seller doesn't dip out on me. >_>

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

sit on my Facebook posted:

My hot take is that this format is gonna be dope, and I love that they started it off as a no-bans wild west

also that the format this is going to actually kill is legacy, which is unsalvagable

Point 1: agree, Point 2: disagree. Too many people have invested in and love playing Legacy for it to die any time soon.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

redux posted:

Was thinking about this and doesn't Emry and 2 Mox Ambers let you cycle your entire deck with an ascendancy in play? Also makes a ton of blue mana, could win with lab maniac Jace.

Yeah. If you're going for Jeskai Ascendancy combos in Pioneer, you want Emry + Mox Amber.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I’m excited for this format!

So I can sell off my extra DRSs and Aetherworks Marvels to rubes after they spike.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

This explains a lot. Every time I buy cards I also order a few cheap Dig Through Times, in case they mistakenly become unbanned for 10 minutes. I bought cards two days ago, and had to skip out on DTT this time because for some reason it had gone up 500%.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Human Crouton posted:

This explains a lot. Every time I buy cards I also order a few cheap Dig Through Times, in case they mistakenly become unbanned for 10 minutes. I bought cards two days ago, and had to skip out on DTT this time because for some reason it had gone up 500%.

If that isn't your "sell all my Dig Through Times" trigger, I don't know what is.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Huxley posted:

If that isn't your "sell all my Dig Through Times" trigger, I don't know what is.

It is.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Legacy has a lot better reason to exist then modern or vintage. There is always going to be a demand for a format where every set is legal that doesn't cost $40 Grand.
The important thing to remember is right now magic is growing. If legacy, vintage, and modern stay the exact sizes they are now they'll gradually become less and less important, but might never go away.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Would Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre's cast trigger be considered a spell that targets a permanent you control, for purposes of Leyline of Combustion?

Edit: Ultimate Masters Dig Through Time is still ~$2 according to MTGFamiliar, if anyone wants any still. Full disclosure, I did not look into it any further.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 21, 2019

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

sit on my Facebook posted:

naw no chance it kills legacy. legacy players arent going to be trading in their duals for tronlands or shocks. it's gonna keep trucking along with it's small, dedicated playerbase.

depending on how hard it's pushed and if support for modern starts to get replaced i can see it killing modern.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

neaden posted:

Legacy has a lot better reason to exist then modern or vintage. There is always going to be a demand for a format where every set is legal that doesn't cost $40 Grand.
The important thing to remember is right now magic is growing. If legacy, vintage, and modern stay the exact sizes they are now they'll gradually become less and less important, but might never go away.

I cant say what will happen but it feels like this will eat into Modern's marketshare more than Legacy's.

WOTC gonna try a dumb "merge legacy and modern" move; banning the reserve list, just you watch

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Tubgoat posted:

Would Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre's cast trigger be considered a spell that targets a permanent you control, for purposes of Leyline of Combustion?

It's an ability. the creature spell isn't targeting it, the ability that triggers when the creature spell is cast is. But this also triggers leyline of combustion.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Cactrot posted:

It's an ability. the creature spell isn't targeting it, the ability that triggers when the creature spell is cast is. But this also triggers leyline of combustion.
"Or ability" :doh: Thank you for your patience and understanding.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

this won’t kill modern because the number of people who like fetching typed duals but can’t afford ABUR duals is substantial. It’s fun to do. Also this format is going to completely suck rear end once the fun Wild West period is over and all the delve cards and DRS are banned

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Hey speaking of cards spiking, sure hope they don't immediately ban Dig Through Time. I had nearly a dozen copies from opening them back in the day, so those can spike as high as they want I say.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Super excited to bust out my old favorite deck of UW Sphinx Control with no wincon except a single Elixir of Immortality.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Walked posted:

I cant say what will happen but it feels like this will eat into Modern's marketshare more than Legacy's.

WOTC gonna try a dumb "merge legacy and modern" move; banning the reserve list, just you watch

I would play it.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

qbert posted:

Super excited to bust out my old favorite deck of UW Sphinx Control with no wincon except a single Elixir of Immortality.

smdh if you don't play dawn of the second sun

e: aw poo poo, bant wilderness rec + sphinx rev + nexus is gonna be loving horrible

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 21, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Bant CoCo is hilarious in Frontier and it's going to eat a lot of decks alive

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
It's entirely possible that dig through time is fair without fetch lands

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

neaden posted:

I would play it.

Me too but only if legacy is deader than dead. I still have venues to play it [for now ]

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
So the mystery boosters are just going to be random boosters from a Pioneer legal set that's not in standard, right?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I think it's more likely Esper Control becomes the dominant varient in Pioneer over UW, simply on the power of T1 Thoughtseize alone.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

A big flaming stink posted:

smdh if you don't play dawn of the second sun

e: aw poo poo, bant wilderness rec + sphinx rev + nexus is gonna be loving horrible

Threeferi to give Approach flash, to cast the first copy on end step then the second copy on your turn with no chance for response because of his static ability

Mmmmm

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

neaden posted:

So the mystery boosters are just going to be random boosters from a Pioneer legal set that's not in standard, right?

dragon maze, born of the gods surprise bonanza

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

qbert posted:

I unironically am hella pumped to try and jam second sun control with actual rev and 3feri

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

No formats will die any more than vintage and legacy already are dead, people invested in a format (emotionally and financially) aren't just going to stop playing, even if competitive support dies (competitive support for modern will die, if this takes off [it will take off because it has competitive support]), unless only grinders play modern and everyone actually hates it, as I've seen alleged from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

qbert posted:

I think it's more likely Esper Control becomes the dominant varient in Pioneer over UW, simply on the power of T1 Thoughtseize alone.

And late game T3feri into Drawstep Thoughtseize. I'm mentally on Esper control as well, but gotta see how the format shakes out first