Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I really recommend homebrew on a 3DS. Being able to play GBA games natively alone makes it worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's also pretty easy to do nowadays.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Commander Keene posted:

It's also pretty easy to do nowadays.

Is there much risk? All the official materials about the 3DS seem to have severe warnings about modding the system, but I guess that's just bluster?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is there much risk? All the official materials about the 3DS seem to have severe warnings about modding the system, but I guess that's just bluster?

It’s a possibility that your system could be banned from playing games online although mine hasn’t and it’s been hacked for years.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The last major banwave (iirc) was because people homebrewed, pirated Pokemon Sun/Moon, and played it before the street date on consoles that still had the “broadcast the game I’m playing” setting toggled on. Hurdur.

I disabled all the “phone home”/“show my friends what I’m playing” stuff and haven’t had an issue; I’m probably overcautious in that I disable wifi unless I actively need it though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's like those commercials for pharmaceuticals that have to list everything that ever happened to anyone during the trials, just in case. Technically, the process could end up bricking your system if you follow an outdated tutorial or don't follow directions well. But as long as you're paying attention you shouldn't have any problems. I've softmodded two consoles (an o3DS and a new 3DS) myself - back when the process was more complex and riskier - without any problems, and several of my friends have modded consoles without any problems.

This is the guide I've used for both of my installs and it's kept up-to-date.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

If I love FF music especially the older stuff through to 8 (6-7 are my faves) then would I enjoy Theatrhythm? Any use getting the original? I tried the demo and I find the gameplay fun enough but if it's mainly songs from XI up I won't recognize any even 10 I'm not really aware of. Also does it have a music box mode where you can just listen to the tunes?

It's on sale for twenty Euro on the e-shop and I'm pretty tempted.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Probably. I would think you'd be able to find a physical copy for cheaper than that complete.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It has music from all of them yeah, you're pretty much the target audience for it. Might as well skip the original and play Curtain Call

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
yeah, theatrhythm owns and curtain call completely obsoletes the original. grab that

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

If I love FF music especially the older stuff through to 8 (6-7 are my faves) then would I enjoy Theatrhythm? Any use getting the original? I tried the demo and I find the gameplay fun enough but if it's mainly songs from XI up I won't recognize any even 10 I'm not really aware of. Also does it have a music box mode where you can just listen to the tunes?

There's a big variety of songs from every mainline game in Curtain Call, yes (skip the original, CC has every song from the original except Somnus from XV, which was paid DLC anyway, plus a good hundred more songs on top of that. also the option to play with buttons instead of touch only). And it does have a music box mode.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

E2M2 posted:

Probably. I would think you'd be able to find a physical copy for cheaper than that complete.

I've looked briefly and the shops immediately around me have it for thirty. I could look more but...

Besides I like these sort of games to be digital for easier access.

Anyway you've all convinced me. I don't care much for the art style but that's not why I'd be playing it.

Thanks!

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The only proper FF I've played is X-2 and Curtain Call is my favorite 3DS game. Be sure to take a look at the small but varied DLC selection too, there's some neat stuff there

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I've looked briefly and the shops immediately around me have it for thirty. I could look more but...

Besides I like these sort of games to be digital for easier access.

Anyway you've all convinced me. I don't care much for the art style but that's not why I'd be playing it.

Thanks!

Good lord, Curtain Call is that much in Euroland? I bought it when it was discounted for $13 here and I see complete used copies have slipped to 8 bucks now according to VGPC. However, I no longer have it as I am the only person in the world who did not like the game. I blame Project Mirai DX for ruining CC's game play for me and I have little attachment to Final Fantasy as a whole so I sold it off.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Also the touch controls are really fun and I'd at least give them a try before writing them off

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Turbinosamente posted:

Good lord, Curtain Call is that much in Euroland? I bought it when it was discounted for $13 here and I see complete used copies have slipped to 8 bucks now according to VGPC. However, I no longer have it as I am the only person in the world who did not like the game. I blame Project Mirai DX for ruining CC's game play for me and I have little attachment to Final Fantasy as a whole so I sold it off.

Yeah, used games don't really get very cheap. I mean, they probably could if I actually shopped around but in my immediate vicinity I have two chain game shops. I could jump on the metro for 30 minutes to a street that's nothing but, but... like I said, I didn't want to make the effort. Plus this feels like it should be a digital game purchase since I'll come back to it for small bursts with more regularity.

Fawf posted:

Also the touch controls are really fun and I'd at least give them a try before writing them off

I need to practice the sliding around, but otherwise they are more fun... if louder. So I'll have to be quieter if my partner is trying to sleep while I play.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i use button controls for battle songs and touch controls for field songs because slides feel super unnatural with the circle pad

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Yeah I have no clue how you're supposed to do field music with button controls properly lmfao

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I managed sliding easier with the buttons in the demo, but I only did play 2 songs then. I've yet to try out the game... drat my adult life (that'll give me 2 weeks vacation in a week!)

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Is Fantasy Life worth picking up? Also, I've never played an Animal Crossing game before? Is New Leaf worth a try?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ryuga Death posted:

Is Fantasy Life worth picking up? Also, I've never played an Animal Crossing game before? Is New Leaf worth a try?

I found it pretty grindy.

New Leaf is great but if you have a Switch, you might as well wait for the new one in a few months. If you could find it cheap though then go for it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ryuga Death posted:

Is Fantasy Life worth picking up?

Are you a completionist? If so, then no because you will never finish.

I got about halfway through before burning out.

It's a cute game, though.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

I found it pretty grindy.

New Leaf is great but if you have a Switch, you might as well wait for the new one in a few months. If you could find it cheap though then go for it.

I don't have a switch and probably won't get one for years. I picked up a n3dsxl a few months ago so I'm just taking my time enjoying the backlog of games.

Waltzing Along posted:

Are you a completionist? If so, then no because you will never finish.

I got about halfway through before burning out.

It's a cute game, though.

I don't know if I am. I was just more curious if the gameplay was fun.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ryuga Death posted:

Not really. It's made for kids so isn't particularly complex. And it's very repetitive.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ryuga Death posted:

I don't have a switch and probably won't get one for years. I picked up a n3dsxl a few months ago so I'm just taking my time enjoying the backlog of games.

Definitely go for New Leaf over Fantasy Life.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I enjoyed both :shrug:

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Fantasy Life is good what the hell is going on in here.

It's repetitive but it's cute and fun, I never beat it but after my initial 20 hours or so I still pick it up for a little while every few weeks and make a little progress

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ryuga Death posted:

I adore Fantasy Life! Such a charming game. I love the artstyle and the humor. It's very grindy, yes but... if you enjoy numbers going up, that game has lots of numbers to make go up. You can go as deep or not as you want. The main story isn't difficult to get through. Or you can just chill out and spend all your time fishing instead. There is a meaty post game in the form of DLC ($8 I think?) it adds a lot of stuff. I got and thought it was worth the money, but if you're not sure about the game you don't need to get it right away. For the DLC content you'll definitely need to actually git gud. There's challenging stuff in there, but it's all fun!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So a theme I already had was made available again for some platinum points that I have a ton of on My Nintendo, so here's a download code for a NES Zelda 3DS theme for whoever wants it. I don't know if theme codes are region restricted, but if they are, then it's for Europe:

Edit: Gone!

Please reply if you claim it.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 22, 2019

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I left my n3DS in an airport a month or so ago and have given up on some kind soul delivering it back to me. I've been craving some 3D Picross and was thinking of buying the 2DS off the refurb store for $50. Is there a downside to this thing besides not folding and no SNES games? I'm mostly just buying it so I can have Picross 3d, Warioware, and Etrian Odyssey back. I don't really mind throwing an extra $50 to get that cool looking purple 2DS XL, but still I'm having trouble justifying spending twice the price if this normal 2DS will be fine for me

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hatty posted:

I left my n3DS in an airport a month or so ago and have given up on some kind soul delivering it back to me. I've been craving some 3D Picross and was thinking of buying the 2DS off the refurb store for $50. Is there a downside to this thing besides not folding and no SNES games? I'm mostly just buying it so I can have Picross 3d, Warioware, and Etrian Odyssey back. I don't really mind throwing an extra $50 to get that cool looking purple 2DS XL, but still I'm having trouble justifying spending twice the price if this normal 2DS will be fine for me

The only reason I’d get the NEW 2DS XL in your case is if you wanted to hack it / wanted the bigger screens.

I think the battery life might be better but not by a whole lot.

I’ve tried the 2ds and I prefer the clamshell design but that’s just me.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got a New 2DS XL and I love it. Although my Switch has superceded it as my portable console of choice.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

hatty posted:

I'm having trouble justifying spending twice the price if this normal 2DS will be fine for me

Benefits of the 2DSXL:
- Better design for self-protecting screen, don't need to buy a new case to stick it in a bag (and you should check that cost before deciding, because)
- People actually bothered to make accessories for it and most of those are still actually sold instead of long-discontinued
- Better specs for the snes emulation/n3ds games in case you decide to homebrew it
- 2DS is the og 3ds screen size

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah this will hopefully be the last "DS" system I buy so I probably don't want to cheap out too much. I'll just get the 2DS XL

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Benefits of the 2DSXL:
- Better design for self-protecting screen, don't need to buy a new case to stick it in a bag (and you should check that cost before deciding, because)
- People actually bothered to make accessories for it and most of those are still actually sold instead of long-discontinued
- Better specs for the snes emulation/n3ds games in case you decide to homebrew it
- 2DS is the og 3ds screen size

I upgraded from an original 3ds to a refurb n3dsxl this year and the best thing has been how much more comfortable it is to hold, second best thing is the bigger screen size. I enjoyed using Art Academy on my old 3ds but I think it will be a lot better on the larger screen and am looking forward to diving into that again sometime.

The Nintendo refurbished prices are pretty good, my only complaint is that my system has a lit pixel near the bottom of the screen(dont know if it developed or came that way) but I couldn't really notice it at all when I was playing Dragon Quest 8 so I don't plan on doing anything about it. Otherwise the system looked and felt perfectly new.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

So a theme I already had was made available again for some platinum points that I have a ton of on My Nintendo, so here's a download code for a NES Zelda 3DS theme for whoever wants it. I don't know if theme codes are region restricted, but if they are, then it's for Europe:

B17N 9RCH 58G2 Y5M9

Please reply if you claim it.

Thanks for this. It's a neat little theme.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
How's Story of Seasons or Rune Factory 4?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ryuga Death posted:

How's Story of Seasons or Rune Factory 4?

They’re both solid. RF4 is better if you don’t mind combat in your farming games and/or the art style.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

RF4 is coming to switch as an enchanced edition sometime... this fiscal year? So if you can wait for that (and, like, have a switch. that's important) I would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If a Switch is an option, I’d just go with Stardew Valley and/or the upcoming Friends of Mineral Town remake. Both are better imo.