Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIzFhnZ32Y0

I'm not surprised that a smart kitchen gadget has a lovely app but it's pretty amazing just how bad they all are. Real case of making something because you can rather than because you should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

rockcity posted:

They still have it. I think they call it Veranda Blend now.

Except in Canada, where it's called the True North Blend for... some reason.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I just spent 30 minutes watching a man endure bad design.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

PRADA SLUT posted:

A few of their speciality shops have Yirgacheffe

2 years old probably

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

One of the Starbucks here still has those $20,000 clover machines and it's funny because it just tastes like normal brewed coffee with lovely beans.

lol I guess they ended up buying that company just to keep their competitors from making good coffee with that machine :capitalism:

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
Why in hell is this so expensive?

http://buanacoffee.com/products/La-...Dzl9nAMsvTth7jw

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Did your read the description? It's basically a small commercial machine.

Doesn't even take pods smdh.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

other people posted:

Did your read the description? It's basically a small commercial machine.

Doesn't even take pods smdh.

Yes I did, but my Office Lever Plus works just as well as this machine. I paid a grand for a gently used Valentina and thought it was just an OK deal. I had no idea they went for this much. I'm wondering if there was something special about this machine that I was missing. And it does take pods with an adapter. I was just confused and rather pleased to see what it was worth.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

They’re charging 15k for a gs3. That machine should be 7100.

It’s a bad site.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

CopperHound posted:

I just spent 30 minutes watching a man endure bad design.

They must not get the Brewista 2 where they live.

But I also like the simplicity of that compared to the Acacia.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

sellouts posted:

They’re charging 15k for a gs3. That machine should be 7100.

It’s a bad site.

That makes more sense.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hey guys I fixed my lovely coffee by brewing it with pumpkin spice blend dumped directly into the grounds while brewing. Then something dark and terrible in my white blonde girl soul awakened, and the apartment is full of yarn, pumpkins, and apples. The dog is scared. I cant find the boyfriend. All is fall, everything is toasty

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Has anyone tried the Melitta cone for pourovers? How does it perform?

https://shoponline.melitta.com/products/1-cup-pour-over-coffee-brew-cone-black

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

There Bias Two posted:

Has anyone tried the Melitta cone for pourovers? How does it perform?

https://shoponline.melitta.com/products/1-cup-pour-over-coffee-brew-cone-black

That's like the granddaddy of pourover, isn't it? It'll work just fine, more or less.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
Haven't used that one specifically, but I've used the one with three holes on the bottom, which I think is somewhat better because those Melitta pour over cups already drain pretty slow.

I prefer the v60 - the conical shape is more conducive for draw down, the v60 #2 holds 40g versus Melissa #2 holding 30g max, there's way more recipes for the v60, and it actually tastes better once you get down the procedure (YMMV).

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

What in god's name is all the rage about Bulletproof? Putting butter in your mug? drat.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

^burtle posted:

What in god's name is all the rage about Bulletproof? Putting butter in your mug? drat.

Didn't that fad die like 2 years ago?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Keto never dies.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I thought so but I saw someone post a BProof Coldbrew today.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

they sell it at Whole Foods and it’s gross

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

That’s how cavemen drank coffee.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gluten-free paleo is the best diet because it's natural oh wait those cavemen didn't live past 30

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Gluten-free paleo is the best diet because it's natural oh wait those cavemen didn't live past 30

i know literally nothing about paleo, but cavemen did live past 30, and early deaths were due diseases/injuries/things that need an advanced medical system to combat them, not diet

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Live past 30 when coffee won't be discovered for another 40,000 years? What's the point. Commits suicide by cave bear.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Cavemen probably took their coffee the same way a civet does

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jazz Marimba posted:

i know literally nothing about paleo, but cavemen did live past 30, and early deaths were due diseases/injuries/things that need an advanced medical system to combat them, not diet

No they died because they didn't have single origin espresso

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Clark Nova posted:

Cavemen probably took their coffee the same way a civet does

They probably roasted and ate a civet with the beans still inside and that's the true coffee origin myth.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I asked a while back about espresso machines but I have yet to do anything.

Now my wife wants to get me a machine as a gift. I thought the Silvio Rancilio was the de facto espresso value workhorse. I’m annoyed that it doesn’t come with a PID but lots of people use it without it and love it.

Have other machines come up that I should consider? The Gaggia and CD1(?) are the other names I seem to remember. I’m anticipating keeping it for a long time.

It will be used for all things espresso.

The Silvia is around $750 bucks new last I check which is about the most I wanted to spend.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

ThirstyBuck posted:

The Silvia is around $750 bucks new last I check which is about the most I wanted to spend.

I sold mine with a PID for $550. I'd highly recommend it.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I've been doing some entry level research myself for espresso. Silvia looks good, but I'm probably leaning more towards getting the 2018/2019 model Gaggia Classic Pro and adding a PID myself. Seems like a really good value for getting into Espresso. I need to get a new grinder, too, since I only have an Encore. Leaning towards a refurb Sette 270 or pinching even more pennies and getting the Sette 30 but adding the micro adjustment ring from the 270 to it.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

ThirstyBuck posted:

Now my wife wants to get me a machine as a gift. I thought the Silvio Rancilio was the de facto espresso value workhorse. I’m annoyed that it doesn’t come with a PID but lots of people use it without it and love it.

Have other machines come up that I should consider? The Gaggia and CD1(?) are the other names I seem to remember. I’m anticipating keeping it for a long time.

I've had a Silvia that was pidless, and have had a Crossland CC1 for 2 years or so; there have been no issues with the CC1 and I love it. I had the Silvia for 9 years and then had a boiler issue (now fixed), and my daughter is still using the Audrey from eons ago. Rancilio makes rock solid kit. Soooo, if you really want the PID, I'd go with the CC1, but you can't go wrong with a Silvia either.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I'll second the above poster. I bought a Silvia because it's easy to source parts if something breaks, but I haven't heard of anyone unhappy with their CC1 purchase.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ThirstyBuck posted:

I have been using mine for ~6 years without a PID. I got it for $500 and its some of the best money I've ever spent.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Nephzinho posted:

I have been using mine for ~6 years without a PID. I got it for $500 and its some of the best money I've ever spent.

I'm on my fourth year with my PID-less Silvia too. It's a great machine. Once in a while we're out we will stop for a coffee and see it's big commercial siblings and I laugh when they sound pretty similar when operating. I dream of the day in a decade when I can give it to my kid as they go off to college and then spend all the money I'm hopefully saving on a robot with a double boiler that brings the coffee to me in bed.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Pet peeve: PID's being luxury features annoys me since they're <$5 of parts and a trivial amount of NRE on a multihundred dollar thing

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Foxfire_ posted:

Pet peeve: PID's being luxury features annoys me since they're <$5 of parts and a trivial amount of NRE on a multihundred dollar thing

Have you ever programmed one, as in the behind the scenes code?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Foxfire_ posted:

By that logic the whole machine should only cost what the parts alone cost. A PID isn't some miracle (or "luxury") device that turns it from a bad machine into a good one, it's just another way of controlling one of the many variables at play. Adding one in manufacturing to a Silvia, which is an otherwise completely analog machine, would most likely drastically impact the cost and complexity of production and they'd have to raise the price to account for that. Which would be foolish, because the product sells great as-is and has very little competition at that price-point.

bizwank fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 22, 2019

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I must admit, using the Silvia makes me nostalgic for the commercial machine I learned to make coffee on. It was a 15 year old Italian machine almost 20 years ago. The thing would make the most beautiful noises when used properly, and I expect that if we had better coffee it would have even tasted better.

The actual extraction on the Silvia is similar to that, but the steamer on that commercial machine was definitely better. The Silvia’s steaming isn’t bad, but it could be improved by having its own boiler of course.

So the nostalgia runs thick for an all analog machine for me, but if you learn the machine, it also makes a really good coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Israeli coworker just said she can't drink brewed coffee because it just doesn't taste like what she's used to...which after some interrogation I figured out it's Finjan style, like Turkish coffee? That muddy stuff. Is it good?