Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

HauntedRobot posted:

Honest question, where does the phrase "smooth brain" come from, and is it not a bit... casually ablist?

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

While there's a couple extremely rare congenital conditions that can make part of a human brain smooth I always assumed the term stemmed from the fact that reptiles and birds don't have brain folds.

I thought the origin of the quote was a joke/genuine ignorance about how your brain developed wrinkles by thinking too much so smoothbrained just meant someone who doesn't think about things.

2003: The Iraq War begun and killed a lot of people and caused huge chaos throughout the region but is still considered a good thing by a few horrible people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

namesake posted:

I thought the origin of the quote was a joke/genuine ignorance about how your brain developed wrinkles by thinking too much so smoothbrained just meant someone who doesn't think about things.

I always thought that without the folds you’d have very little usable brain, but it’d still fill the gap in your skull.

I am not a brain doctor.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah all the conditions that cause brain smoothness in humans are generally fatal during infancy.

It's probably one of the few ways of calling someone a loving idiot moron cretin terrible thinker that isn't rooted in some old ablism.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

namesake posted:

Well both of those sound plausible, thanks. Wasn't trying to gotcha anyone but I don't like using phrases I can't explain!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Selfish question, the point of the transition period is that things stay the same, right? Like free movement of services?

Because if not I'm going to need to figure some things out quite fast...

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

HauntedRobot posted:

Honest question, where does the phrase "smooth brain" come from, and is it not a bit... casually ablist?

There was a theory that the more ridges a brain has, the more surface area, the more higher cognitive you are.
Not sure this was actual scientific of pseudo science bullshit.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Bobstar posted:

Selfish question, the point of the transition period is that things stay the same, right? Like free movement of services?

Because if not I'm going to need to figure some things out quite fast...
Assuming the deal goes ahead.

During the transition period we will still have free movement and EU obligations, but after that who knows. If we do 'leave' get poo poo sorted asap, as it is going to be a colossal fuckup

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 21, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The folded portion of the brain is the part responsible for complex reasoning and is very pronounced in humans, the reason for the folds is that the structure of the brain tissue is divided between the surface layer and the deeper layers and the reason it's folded up is to increase the surface area, letting you fit more of that functional structure into the skull.

I don't really know the specific origin of it as a synonym for idiot though.

Guavanaut posted:

It's probably one of the few ways of calling someone a loving idiot moron cretin terrible thinker that isn't rooted in some old ablism.

Also that, given that idiot, moron, and cretin are all just old clinical words for mental impairment. We don't really have many words for the concept in english that don't have that as their origin.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 21, 2019

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

i've got a smooth brain pouring using oil of olay into my ear, so please use the term respectfully.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

While there's a couple extremely rare congenital conditions that can make part of a human brain smooth I always assumed the term stemmed from the fact that reptiles and birds don't have brain folds.

I feel like it’s more likely an artifact of a belief that more wrinkles = smarter, and not anything more complicated.

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah all the conditions that cause brain smoothness in humans are generally fatal during infancy.

Agreed.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The last ten posts made me feel ill.

Ban the brain.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

That just means it's a new ablism. Like, how can you even make the negative judgment "this person is a terrible thinker" without at the same time saying that this is a bad thing and other people who are terrible thinkers too, are, all else being equal, valued less highly?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could make the assertion that this specific form of terrible thing is not, in fact, less valued, and is, in general, likely to be facilitated politically and rewarded personally. But that this is still a bad thing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Steve2911 posted:

Ban the brain.
Hard agree. Plants are a lot less dissatisfied with life.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That just means it's a new ablism. Like, how can you even make the negative judgment "this person is a terrible thinker" without at the same time saying that this is a bad thing and other people who are terrible thinkers too, are, all else being equal, valued less highly?
There's bad thinkers, like people who have a learning impairment, and then there's terrible thinkers, like Dominic Cummings and the ERG.

One group needs assistance and the other is smooth brained.

e: ^^ that too

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Everyone knows it's in reference to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I33u7P-XokE&t=303s

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I assumed it was some contortion of "consider a perfectly spherical cow", implying pseudo-intellectual economic/political thinking.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

HauntedRobot posted:

In the 1972 film Horror Express anyone who had their memory sucked out by the beast had a smooth brain when autopsied afterwards.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You're pretty much never going to be able to call someone not very smart without potentially insulting or belittling people with learning disabilities. Not if you define ableism as valuing people with traditional intelligence and the ability to make sensible decisions above people without those skills.

Personally I think calling someone an idiot or a moron is fine. We no longer use those words to refer to actual disabilities and everyone understands you mean it as an insult rather than a genuine critique of their faculties.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Good grief that film hasn't aged well!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Found an explanation of a weird minor detail in the Withdrawal Bill, if any bored goons choose to leaf through it.

https://twitter.com/paulcroft56/status/1186368515206500356?s=21

https://twitter.com/ilphilanthropus/status/1186376373113364480?s=21

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I mean if we’re really gonna get this nitpicky about calling someone dumb then you also have to consider that insulting another human being with the intent to insult is a harmful act, devaluing them by definition even if it’s not any kind of discrimination

And at that point I mean come the gently caress on

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

Personally I think calling someone an idiot or a moron is fine. We no longer use those words to refer to actual disabilities and everyone understands you mean it as an insult rather than a genuine critique of their faculties.
We stopped using them in part because they became slurs, like how the Spastic Society became Scope. Whether idiot and moron have had enough time to air and no longer be that is a different matter though, and they probably have.

e: ^^^ It's just a market correction, as most of them as seriously overvalued.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's a significant improvement over regular ableism when there's no actual sufferers of the condition being used as an insult, at least.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
in other news my stupid cat caught a mouse and brought it inside

we managed to get it off him and back outside seemingly unhurt

so now he's spent the last 10 minutes sniffing round everywhere trying to find where it went

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

I'd assumed that the UK leaving the customs union would be very bad for the Republic of Ireland regardless of how the NI border problem was solved, but it looks like only ~11% of Irish exports go to the UK? This is really surprising to me for some reason! As it stands the solution to the Irish border problem proposed in this latest withdrawal agreement, where NI remains in the EU customs union while the rest of the UK leaves it, isn't a great outcome for the Republic but seems far from the worst outcome. Is this missing anything?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nocturtle posted:

I'd assumed that the UK leaving the customs union would be very bad for the Republic of Ireland regardless of how the NI border problem was solved, but it looks like only ~11% of Irish exports go to the UK? This is really surprising to me for some reason! As it stands the solution to the Irish border problem proposed in this latest withdrawal agreement, where NI remains in the EU customs union while the rest of the UK leaves it, isn't a great outcome for the Republic but seems far from the worst outcome. Is this missing anything?

How many imports go through the UK.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nocturtle posted:

The numbers are distorted by our (Ireland's) large multinational pharma exports. But a lot of that is offshored profit. If you look at our domestic exports, like the agrifood sector, it's something like 30+% to the UK (I forget the exact number). So it would be real poo poo for the Irish economy. But then, we also stand to gain in the medium term by being the only native English-speaking country in the EU and attracting even more FDI, plus we get NI back, so who knows really

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

The NI in the customs union is 'temporary' during the transition, after that who knows and thats a lot of political/border uncertainty for an economy to ride.

You can't really *solve* the border problem, if it's in the middle of the Irish sea its still going to cause issues.

Ireland has a trade deficit with us so they'll be paying more on imports form us in tariffs, potentially up to 33% extra on about £30b worth of goods. They can't bilaterally agree to ignore this under the WTO, as they need to do it as part of the EU.

Despite our differences we also offered a lot of mutual support in EU decisions that would affect the UK/Ireland, our council seats are being redistributed, so this will loose Ireland a lot of footing in issues that may have affected it.

Though, expect a lot of businesses to move from the UK to Ireland as well, so that's a bit of a silver lining.

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 21, 2019

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Intelligence based insults are the same as appearance based insults, just low blows that can harm more people than their intended targets. There are better are more creative ways to insult people

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

If both stupid and gross looking are off the table I'm quickly running out of ways to describe our masters

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Y’all are wild lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Fuchi posted:

Intelligence based insults are the same as appearance based insults, just low blows that can harm more people than their intended targets. There are better are more creative ways to insult people
There's a big difference between loling at people who are rich or powerful and constantly assume that this must have happened because of how smart they were and then tripping over their own pants because of that estimation and mocking people for learning impairments.

Like I'm not a big fan of the Joris Bohnson thing because the dude that said it clearly had some kind of mild impairment and then it got turned into a "lol look at the sort of mental defectives that vote Tory" type thing in some parts, but saying that Johnson himself is another product of the Eton brain smoothing facility is fair game.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Ash Crimson posted:

I've given up on the south, there's just nothing there, they got us into this mess in the first place, perhaps I will see a dissolved UK in my lifetime and it would be beneficial for humans such as the Irish, Welsh, Scottish and Cornish

Catching up with the thread to say shut the gently caress up with this poo poo.

On insulting the intelligence of people, I believe there’s a big difference in insulting someone who has a genuine need for care and support for circumstances beyond their control, and insulting someone that is clearly intelligent to some degree but wilfully disregards any critical faculties to support their desired worldview.

We could spend the entire podcast just calling them cunts but that would get real boring and lack a lot of the required nuance to satisfy catharsis, entertainment and analysis.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I just thought Jòris Bohnson was a stupid ironic spoonerism, but now that I know it's an ableism...I'll probably keep using it until it gets even more passé?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Being stupid isn't a crime but people who want to criminalize their concept of stupity being, themselves, monumentally stupid, is kind of funny.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

mediaphage posted:

I feel like it’s more likely an artifact of a belief that more wrinkles = smarter, and not anything more complicated.

No.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Being stupid isn't a crime but people who want to criminalize their concept of stupity being, themselves, monumentally stupid, is kind of funny.

:hmmyes:

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks for all the replies. Given it's proximity it seems obvious that the UK leaving the customs Union would be an economic disaster for Ireland, despite the inflated export numbers. Just trying to get a handle on the extent that other regions are going to get dragged into this horror show, now that there's an agreement that has a non-negligible chance of passing.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Jesus Christ are you people seriously debating on how to appropriately insult one another?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Nocturtle posted:

Thanks for all the replies. Given it's proximity it seems obvious that the UK leaving the customs Union would be an economic disaster for Ireland, despite the inflated export numbers. Just trying to get a handle on the extent that other regions are going to get dragged into this horror show, now that there's an agreement that has a non-negligible chance of passing.

If it's any consolation it'll be worse for us! (it's not)