Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
They introduced the Hush character? And he's possibly dead already?

WTF is going on with this show!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I’m digging how thirsty Rachel Maddow is for Bat-people of either gender.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vietnamwees posted:

They introduced the Hush character? And he's possibly dead already?

WTF is going on with this show!?

He's being sent to Arkham so he'll 100% be back (as long as his actor's available)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't even realize that was who he was supposed to be, since I've never read any of the Hush stories in the comics.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I was kind of hoping that when they did the final panning shot of her on the roof of the Wayne building they'd pan around and we'd see Oliver, Barry and Kara on the roof of the lower building just to complete the circle.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'm surprised no one in Gotham at this point has put together that Bruce Wayne & Batman have both been absent for the exact same amount of time yet. Then again, this is the same universe that can't figure out that Superman & Clark Kent look EXACTLY the same.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I am really not into Alice as a bad guy. She's done nothing interesting at all so far. What does she even want? What is she trying to do?

And Kate's ex is just the worst character. Get rid of her and the show would instantly be many times better.

Vietnamwees posted:

Then again, this is the same universe that can't figure out that Superman & Clark Kent look EXACTLY the same.
No, that's Earth 38.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Vietnamwees posted:

I'm surprised no one in Gotham at this point has put together that Bruce Wayne & Batman have both been absent for the exact same amount of time yet. Then again, this is the same universe that can't figure out that Superman & Clark Kent look EXACTLY the same.
This is the same Gotham where you need to be driven in an armored van to the bank. I wouldn't be surprised if other rich people left as well.

Then again, at this point in Arrow we'd learned about the Glades, Ollie was setting up his Arrow cave, and he'd duked it out with Deadshot.

Tiggum posted:

I am really not into Alice as a bad guy. She's done nothing interesting at all so far. What does she even want? What is she trying to do?
I'm getting the feeling Alice isn't meant to be the main villain of the season.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gonna be honest, I'm with Alice on the red wig. I kinda think that red wig looks strange and slightly out-of-character. Eh.

Also for at first I thought the bartender was Caity Lotz and for a brief moment in time in my head canon the legends were in the party.

Xelkelvos posted:

I kinda agree now with the complaints that everything felt rushed. But more precisely, lots of characters were introduced, but not all of them were introduced in a way that connected back to Kate directly. Kate's stepmom was essentially a non-entity in the first two episodes and yet the stinger was meant to feel significant when it wasn't. Mary is much more present, but she's not had enough time to develop despite all of the character details that seem to be foisted on her. Luke Fox is there, but there's literally no explanation as to why. And the opening two scenes the one with Kate doing escape training and the ceremony for the spotlight breaking are so disconnected, you could've put them in two different episodes or seasons.

The more I reflect on the series so far, the less optimistic I'm getting. At least Alice was more or less fully characterized in her present state. How she got there is still a mystery, but as an audience, we pretty much know what makes her tick and that's probably more than most of the major cast.

I'm starting to like Alice as a character (not as a villain exactly) because yeah there's some semblance of a mystery there, but the villain of the week thing sucked. Thomas was an incredibly lovely character. "I finally, after struggling my whole life, achieved the point that I wanted and now I'm gonna either try to kill someone with years/decades of experience fighting criminals or kill a bunch of important people by sabotaging my own party, nothing is gonna go wrong". The only good part out of that plan is that there wasn't even any tension on whether he'd get away with it or not: He just got arrested to Arkham. But the plot itself was so hamfisted.

Also I know that people don't hold Ruby Rose in the highest regards as an actress but I do think she's being used less-than-optimally here.

Mary is my favorite character and ironically I feel like she plays the role of "dumb spoiled brat on the public eyes, secret helper of Gotham's disenfranchised" fantastically.

Vietnamwees posted:

I think that if a major vigilante like Batman existed in the real world you'd never be thinking "it's some billionaire in a suit".

First you'd have to think of all the billionaires in a certain city, keep tabs on the gossip/news of when they're back in and out, assume that they're actually interested in putting their lives in danger, discard people with military connections (I mean, the gear itself isn't an indicator: Rio's druglords have access to military equipment from multiple countries including helicopters and rocket launchers, and Gotham is a notoriously corrupt city with a bunch of people who got wealthy off illegal means. Batman could be someone with a cartel background, or even someone hired to put out the competition, or even a disgruntled vet with the same family-got-killed background like the Punisher).

Bruce leaving the city at the same time as Batman would be easily dismissed as just that he doesn't think the city is safe anymore. Bruce Wayne would have to sell the image that he's afee levels of eccentric for anyone to make the connection and he instead just sold his public image as a irresponsible playboy, depending on the canon.

More realistically the fact that in such a massive city that some people see as an NY-equivalent, filled with billionaires and rich people and a huge social inequality, a "secret vigilante" that cops just turn a light in the sky and then he mysteriously shows up would very likely be interpreted as just an excuse for a segment of the non-corrupt cops to be operating outside the circle of corruption in the city and the light is just symbolic: Think about it and how loving stupid you'd have to be to believe that a light in the sky is actually a signal to call someone who will then drop everything and pop up. It's too ceremonial and too fantastic, you'd just assume that's smoke and mirrors and they already dispatched their paramilitary force an hour ago before giving the bad guys a heads up. It'd be fair to assume that Batman isn't one person but multiple people, and the bat-signal is only turned on after the job is done so the next day's journals can talk about the miracle story about how you turn a light in the sky and a bunch of evildoers got arrested.

If you approach the story from the angle that "super-powered heroes exist" then that becomes even truer because Batman doesn't really show any super power. He reads to me like Gotham's government/police doing something ceremonial to make it look like the city isn't as God-forsaken as it is because neither Wonder Woman nor Superman give a flying gently caress to it. Your first reaction to Batman would be that they're like the Sombra Negra -

quote:

The Sombra Negra (Spanish for "Black Shadow"), also known as El Clan de Planta ("The Plant Clan"), are (as of 2014)[1] death squad groups based in El Salvador, allegedly composed mostly of police and military personnel, that target criminals and gang members for vigilante justice.

- rather than a very ripped Bill Gates going out a night.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 21, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

What she wants? Revenge against her father and a side dish of monopolizing her sister. It's been pretty clear about that. The end goal is destroying everything her dad cares about in his new life. It's pretty clear on all of this.

But Alice is way too charismatic and given too much of a sympathetic angle to end up as the final villain for the season. If it's anything like the comic book: Alice will finally break down and go into her sister's custody and in hiding as she tries to make herself sane again.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xelkelvos posted:

What she wants? Revenge against her father and a side dish of monopolizing her sister. It's been pretty clear about that.

Sure, that's what she says. Her actions don't seem to align with that though. Or rather, she doesn't seem to have any kind of plan. I can buy that as her sincere goal, but it's like she just showed up (with an army of followers) and then went "oh gently caress, I have no idea what I'm doing!" And what do her followers want? Why are they on her side? There's got to be some unifying goal there but what is it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Step-sister is the best character on the show.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It is a truism that the quirky smart one is often the best character on a CW show.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Dawgstar posted:

It is a truism that the quirky smart one is often the best character on a CW show.

Yeah everyone loves Felicity.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
And Curtis.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone did love Felicity in the beginning.

But she's been absorbed by the CryTalkForce, hopefully never to be seen again.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah we must not talk about how we like Mary otherwise they'll suck the joy out of her.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
OK, so I was finally able to watch the latest Batwoman episode, and here are some of my thoughts:
-How did Tommy know that Batman is Bruce Wayne? And that he had a special gun made that could blow through the Bat armor? I'm guessing that it's Mega-Crossover related somehow.
-I wonder how long Mary can keep leading this double-life if being an Instagram Influencer, and running her secret hospital that helps the downtrodden of Gotham. After she got attacked in the last episode, she started carrying a gun right after.
-Speaking of secret lives, WTF is going on with Catherine and the Alice gang, and what did those cards mean!?
-I'm calling it now, I think we're gonna see Bruce during the Crossover, and that's how Batwoman will play into the mix with everyone else.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vietnamwees posted:

OK, so I was finally able to watch the latest Batwoman episode, and here are some of my thoughts:
-How did Tommy know that Batman is Bruce Wayne? And that he had a special gun made that could blow through the Bat armor? I'm guessing that it's Mega-Crossover related somehow.
-I wonder how long Mary can keep leading this double-life if being an Instagram Influencer, and running her secret hospital that helps the downtrodden of Gotham. After she got attacked in the last episode, she started carrying a gun right after.
-Speaking of secret lives, WTF is going on with Catherine and the Alice gang, and what did those cards mean!?
-I'm calling it now, I think we're gonna see Bruce during the Crossover, and that's how Batwoman will play into the mix with everyone else.

Tommy said he paid the Riddler to uncover who Batman was and Nygma said “yeah, it’s Bruce loving Wayne.”

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

So this is right about when Elseworlds happens right? Kate being officially established as Batwoman, but still obscure enough that Ollie and Barry wouldn't know about her?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vietnamwees posted:

We don't know, and I'm trying to figure out how annoyed I am by that. On the one hand if everything were spelled out we'd be complaining "yeah, we know, stop milking it and get on with things." On the other hand she's barely shown up so we can't get any sort of read on her. Jacob seems to not know but things like the "you were supposed to take Alice out of the picture" conversation at the end of this episode are definitely intended to at least be ambiguous whether he knows more than we know he knows (though not fully in on it since she hid the cards). And with the cards now we're not getting vague "this person's involved" stuff but actual clues as if we're supposed to know what they mean? In some other show that had had more episodes we could say "the numbers of those cards match the coordinates of blahblahblah so she must be the person Alice saw doing XYZ" and feel clever when the show confirmed it later.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

Tommy said he paid the Riddler to uncover who Batman was and Nygma said “yeah, it’s Bruce loving Wayne.”

That still doesn't explain how he knew about the Bat-Killer gun.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Between this and Supergirl, what’s with the lovely way CW Is treating the two female hero’s as weak? At least Benoit is entertaining to watch, but I just can’t buy Ruby Rose as a superhero or a bad rear end.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Vietnamwees posted:

What do you mean crossover related? You know that the Tommy in this show is not Tommy from Arrow right? Totally separate super rich guys, they just have the same first name

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

He didn't need to know about the Batgun specifically, but he knows Bruce well enough to know that if he invented an unkillable suit he would also invent the only thing that could kill him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Mods please change the thread to Lesbian Ninja Retreat. Thank you.

Sorry, this is Horny Batman town.

Also something I thought was kind of weird was how much I liked the way the costume looked without the cowl in that one scene near the end. The full Bat-cowl is just one of those things that doesn't translate to real life well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

oh jay posted:

So this is right about when Elseworlds happens right? Kate being officially established as Batwoman, but still obscure enough that Ollie and Barry wouldn't know about her?

I wanna say that this is in Supergirl's universe.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Davros1 posted:

I wanna say that this is in Supergirl's universe.

It's not. Elseworld made it pretty clear that Batwoman was on Earth 1.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Sorry, this is Horny Batman town.

Also something I thought was kind of weird was how much I liked the way the costume looked without the cowl in that one scene near the end. The full Bat-cowl is just one of those things that doesn't translate to real life well.

Eh, horny for Batman is also acceptable. Like I said, this show roped in Rachel Maddow to be the official voice of Horny For Batman/woman.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Also something I thought was kind of weird was how much I liked the way the costume looked without the cowl in that one scene near the end.

I noticed that too, it was a really good look for Rose.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

It's not. Elseworld made it pretty clear that Batwoman was on Earth 1.

They've dropped references to there being a Batman on Earth-38 (Supergirl's Earth) and that he's friends with Superman, but yeah, Kate is on Earth-1 with Ollie and Barry.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Show has done well enough that the CW has ordered a back 9 for this season.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Show has done well enough that the CW has ordered a back 9 for this season.

Oh nice. I've been enjoying things so far despite it's first year flaws. Glad to see the CW has a lot of confidence in it and that it's doing well ratings wise, so people actually do really like it despite what the userbases of IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes are trying to claim.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Two episodes in and I think I'll give up.
Its just unrelentingly poo poo.

This to me feels very similar to those fan made startrek movies and shows that popup occasionally, or straight to vhs agenda based content, like those "left behind" ones that popup from time to time.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh nice. I've been enjoying things so far despite it's first year flaws. Glad to see the CW has a lot of confidence in it and that it's doing well ratings wise, so people actually do really like it despite what the userbases of IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes are trying to claim.

I'm TV-show starved enough to feel like giving this a go and I'm glad some people are enjoying it but I'm watching this mostly in the hope that it will bloom into something better like, say, LoT did, and if I were to rate this show right now it would really not be high.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Elentor posted:

I'm TV-show starved enough to feel like giving this a go and I'm glad some people are enjoying it but I'm watching this mostly in the hope that it will bloom into something better like, say, LoT did, and if I were to rate this show right now it would really not be high.

And you’re completely right. It’s not great or anything, but it is a perfectly serviceable TV show for what it is now with the potential to be something far better in the future. I’m just bemused by the Internet Rage-o-sphere’s crusade to proclaim it the worst piece of media ever produced in the history of existence because of [woman doing thing].

Like, guys, come on. It’s not worth your effort :nallears:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shameless plug but if you want a nonsensical story about a violent female superhero who wakes up in a bat cave with an all-female cast in a dystopic place I can certainly oblige.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 27, 2019

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So does anyone have an idea of the age difference between Kate Kane & Bruce Wayne? Judging from the fact that Batman saved her when she was a young school girl, I'd have to say it's at least a 20 year age difference.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vietnamwees posted:

So does anyone have an idea of the age difference between Kate Kane & Bruce Wayne? Judging from the fact that Batman saved her when she was a young school girl, I'd have to say it's at least a 20 year age difference.

That's a fair guess. But when he shows up he'll be played by a guy in his 20's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vietnamwees posted:

If Bruce got started Batmanning early it could be as low as 10. I forget, did they ever say how old Kate was at the time of the car accident? Because I feel like if she was 10 or 11, that'd work with Bruce being in his 20s.