Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fister Roboto posted:

Better yet, replace with with Inshallah.

May the force be with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kaza42 posted:

Fun fact about hospitals: If they aren't enough to completely bypass whatever disease is wracking your nation, they often just make things worse. Diseases have a set duration once they reach a province, and hospitals delay disease reaching the province but do not reduce that duration. So if your policy is to close the gates while there is disease in or adjacent to your capital, a hospital increases the duration you'll need to be locked up for.

They are insanely binary. Once I had them high enough I just never had to deal with disease again which...doesn't feel great because oh I spend several thousand gold and ignore a mechanic. It'd be better if a hospital didn't mean suddenly your province never felt disease but you'd get better court doctors who got good treatments better/could cure more stuff without cutting off your face.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

cKnoor posted:

but it was communicated at the convention.

This wasn't my experience :shrug: Where/when did that happen?

But yeah, I'd also heard about the 200-instead-of-2000 thing through unofficial channels.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

cKnoor posted:

It also means we have like 2000 PDXCON2019 bags that we need to figure out what to do with back in Stockholm...

Just scratch out 19, PDXCON20 is next year after all.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Demiurge4 posted:

Huh, I must have missed that. I was at the pre-show and announcement show and I don’t remember hearing it. But if it was announced then I apologise.

Drone posted:

This wasn't my experience :shrug: Where/when did that happen?

But yeah, I'd also heard about the 200-instead-of-2000 thing through unofficial channels.

At goodie bag pickup is my understanding, there were a lot of people there though so I am not surprised that some might have missed it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fister Roboto posted:

Better yet, replace with with Inshallah.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

cKnoor posted:

At goodie bag pickup is my understanding, there were a lot of people there though so I am not surprised that some might have missed it.

Oh well that hardly counts.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

Slippery Tilde

Demiurge4 posted:

Oh well that hardly counts.

Communicating it at the point where it could be communicated? :confused:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

hobbesmaster posted:

They should just replace "Deus vult" with "God wills it" and see how angry people get. The game is in a vulgar language so it should use a vulgar translation after all!

Make it longer, clunkier, and flowerier, half the reason Deus Vult is popular is probably because its a quick snappy phrase.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The extent of the communication I got at goodie bag pickup was "Shirt size?", and I waited about an hour or two after the line opened before I picked mine up.

But yeah, they were super crowded even then so it's easy to imagine they were just overwhelmed. But the whole situation would have been resolved with ten seconds of Shams going "yo, we apologize for the manila envelopes -- there was unfortunately a last-minute supply issue with the actual bags" on stage. Boom, done.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

cKnoor posted:

Communicating it at the point where it could be communicated? :confused:

It should have been addressed on stage so pdx can be seen to own the mistake publicly. All I got was a ‘size?’ and and a ‘here you to’.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

Slippery Tilde

Drone posted:

The extent of the communication I got at goodie bag pickup was "Shirt size?", and I waited about an hour or two after the line opened before I picked mine up.

But yeah, they were super crowded even then so it's easy to imagine they were just overwhelmed. But the whole situation would have been resolved with ten seconds of Shams going "yo, we apologize for the manila envelopes -- there was unfortunately a last-minute supply issue with the actual bags" on stage. Boom, done.

I disagree with announcing it on stage, but regardless we're looking into options for more efficient communication channels next year, and we could certainly have made it clearer at pickup. But there is a big difference between not talking about it and not having some of the convention goers knowing about it. This is a case of the latter not the former.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think it’s aggressively avoiding anything close to a risk of bad publicity on stream.

Edit: I mean yeah it’s just a drat canvas bag, but like I said it wasn’t addressed in any satisfying way and after standing in line under the sign that literally says Goodie BAG it’s a bit disingenuous to suggest that telling people sorry no bag as you hand them an envelope is a satisfying apology.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 21, 2019

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Or even on the Discord.

But yeah, lessons learned etc.

Was there an official Discord for the event last year as well? I feel like that actually worked fairly well this year for announcements (though I'm an insane person who activated Discord push notifications during the event for that reason)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hey Paradox devs

Release Victoria 3 but call it Victoria 4 just to mess with people

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It sucks they're taking out the Deus Vult yell. It's so corny and reminds me of campy 90s PC game designs. I don't think they should let internet nazis call the shots but that discussion has been had.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Drone posted:

Or even on the Discord.

But yeah, lessons learned etc.

Was there an official Discord for the event last year as well? I feel like that actually worked fairly well this year for announcements (though I'm an insane person who activated Discord push notifications during the event for that reason)

Yeah, it was somewhat useful last year. How was it this year? The games seem a lot more interesting this year, at least.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Senior Dog posted:

So if you were told the place you'd be working at used English as its working language, had to apparently pay your own way over there, and then found out that actually they speak Swedish a lot in work conversations you'd be okay huh. That's cool but hopefully you can find the empathy somewhere in your bones to understand why others would see that as a problem

I have enough “empathy in my bones” to not expect an entire company to ever speak their native tongue in order to accommodate my monolingual self.

(If Paradox doesn’t pay for people to relocate that is unusual and will block them from a considerable amount of talent, btw)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

They are insanely binary. Once I had them high enough I just never had to deal with disease again which...doesn't feel great because oh I spend several thousand gold and ignore a mechanic. It'd be better if a hospital didn't mean suddenly your province never felt disease but you'd get better court doctors who got good treatments better/could cure more stuff without cutting off your face.

They do have a bit more of an impact than that - high level hospitals make diseases less impactful even when they do hit the province, so you will take less of a prosperity hit than you would otherwise (although I'm pretty sure the plague will devastate you no matter what), but yeah it would be nice if they also had noticeable effects on your characters disease resistance and recovery.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

cKnoor posted:

Just wanted to correct this, as there was a mistake in shipping we did not get all the bags that were planned (only 200 out of 2200) and had to resort to envelopes. No one is happy that it happened, but it was communicated at the convention. And it sucks that some people claim that the event team tried to cheapen the goodiebags when that was not the case. It also means we have like 2000 PDXCON2019 bags that we need to figure out what to do with back in Stockholm...

Sounds like an opportunity for a huge Goon giveaway to me

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Splicer posted:

Hey Paradox devs

Release Victoria 3 but call it Victoria 4 just to mess with people

VIV

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Victoria VC

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Lum_ posted:

I have enough “empathy in my bones” to not expect an entire company to ever speak their native tongue in order to accommodate my monolingual self.

(If Paradox doesn’t pay for people to relocate that is unusual and will block them from a considerable amount of talent, btw)

What if they told you they'd accommodate you before you took the job

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Make it longer, clunkier, and flowerier, half the reason Deus Vult is popular is probably because its a quick snappy phrase.

Make it similar to those long and clunky Chinese communist slogans (that I guess are more snappy in Mandarin)! "Let us join together and enforce God's desires on the misled inhabitants of Jerusalem."

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Enjoy posted:

What if they told you they'd accommodate you before you took the job

I think if I went to work in another country I'd expect everyone to speak English enough that I could speak to them but wouldn't be surprised if they spoke Swedish to each other.
I can see why it'd be really poo poo and you'd feel left out, it'd be like if everyone else was a smoker and went outside chatting and left you inside but it's a pretty hard thing to fix.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

cKnoor posted:

I disagree with announcing it on stage

cKnoor posted:

we're looking into options for more efficient communication channels

I'm not really following any of this but this strikes me as a funny contrast.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Taear posted:

I think if I went to work in another country I'd expect everyone to speak English enough that I could speak to them but wouldn't be surprised if they spoke Swedish to each other.
I can see why it'd be really poo poo and you'd feel left out, it'd be like if everyone else was a smoker and went outside chatting and left you inside but it's a pretty hard thing to fix.

I'm glad we are comparing speaking swedish to smoking as in both are nasty habits that need to be discouraged from continuing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

really queer Christmas posted:

I'm glad we are comparing speaking swedish to smoking as in both are nasty habits that need to be discouraged from continuing.

Ah, you seem to be thinking of danish. It is a common mistake.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ah, you seem to be thinking of danish. It is a common mistake.

Naw Danish is when everyone goes outside to chomp down on a load of potatoes.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

English is so widespread in Stockholm that I occasionally feel embarrassed. The only time Swedish is necessary is when you start getting sent bills and translations aren't provided, and the Swedish needed for that is something that goes far beyond the beginner's Hej, Tack, and Fan.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It should be pretty easy for PDX to counter any negative comparisons between CK2 and CK3. Most of the CK2 DLC was bolting on mechanics to allow you to play something other than the baseline Western Christian nation. PDX just need to say different religions and nations are baked into the model from the beginning, so all of that DLC is already in the game. The DLC will be to flesh out content for mechanics which every player already has which is basically what Johan was saying.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

V for Vegas posted:

PDX just need to say different religions and nations are baked into the model from the beginning

Henrik said that on stage during the talk immediately after CK3 was announced. Every religion/nation is playable at launch except for republics.

Of course it's debatable about whether this means Norse are meaningfully present, since I get the feeling 1066 will be the vanilla start date again.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Let's pray for the medieval norse and their extremely well-documented and not at all politically-loaded super special religion that they need to have in 1066 that conveniently allows them to beat everyone up and assume any title they want

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 23, 2019

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I do kinda feel like the EU4 model that every religion should have its own gimmicks and playstyle is out of place in the game CK2 became eventually. Actually it's out of place in EU4 too! :colbert:

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 23, 2019

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I do kinda feel like the EU4 model that every religion should have its own gimmicks and playstyle is kind of out place in the game CK2 became eventually. Actually it's out of place in EU4 too! :colbert:

It's really difficult to say "well culture should get these cool features" or "well religion should get these cool features" because the two are so completely linked, and linked further to the environment that it's like... idk, mix and match?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd say it fits better in CK2 than it does in EU4, since CK2 is dealing more closely with the people and how their internal power structures work. Feudal christian lords, muslim sultans, orthodox emperors, and pagan tribesmen all have pretty different power structures that involve dealing with people very differently, some of them don't even really jive with Crusader Kings's focus on following a single character and their direct progeny.

Drone posted:

Henrik said that on stage during the talk immediately after CK3 was announced. Every religion/nation is playable at launch except for republics.

What about theocracies?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Let's pray for the medieval norse and their extremely well-documented and not at all politically-loaded super special religion that they need to have in 1066 that conveniently allows them to beat everyone up and assume any title they want

Pushing back Christians and making them a minority is the best part of CK2. :colbert:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Drone posted:

Of course it's debatable about whether this means Norse are meaningfully present, since I get the feeling 1066 will be the vanilla start date again.

They said the Old Gods 867 start date is the default CK3 start date now.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They said the Old Gods 867 start date is the default CK3 start date now.
Oh poo poo son. Is that the only start date or are there more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

Oh poo poo son. Is that the only start date or are there more?

I expect they'll have a few bookmarks since people actually did use them in CK2, unlike EU4, but I'm pretty sure they've said they're never going to do the whole "pick any date to start on" thing again.