Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Ya, I don't even know how that is up for debate anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Bernstrike posted:

I think Caligula had irony poisoning and used the horse to mock how bad the senators were but the dipshit historian senators wrote him straight, unaware that he was both “on one” and “doing a bit.”

BTW the Roman Empire series on Netflix is actually really good this sort of thing

like the season about Caligula was more about his incredibly hosed up family and how it discredited his regime rather "he appointed his horse lol"

Also probably the only pop history you'll ever find that depicts Caesar in anything less than glowing terms. For example, the impetus for Caesar's assassination are legitimate fears that he'll eat poo poo like crassus and bankrupt the state on his campaigns.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Bernstrike posted:

I think Caligula had irony poisoning and used the horse to mock how bad the senators were but the dipshit historian senators wrote him straight, unaware that he was both “on one” and “doing a bit.”

They were aware, they just didn't like him and wanted to talk poo poo. It's why I assume any major figure who's reviewed for dicking over the upper class is actually good.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Agean90 posted:

They were aware, they just didn't like him and wanted to talk poo poo. It's why I assume any major figure who's reviewed for dicking over the upper class is actually good.

Notice how Vespasian is considered "the only man who improved" precisely because he was the only one who allowed the Senate to talk tons of poo poo to his face.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Bro Dad posted:

Notice how Vespasian is considered "the only man who improved" precisely because he was the only one who allowed the Senate to talk tons of poo poo to his face.

I remember hearing somewhere that Vlad the impaler mostly did the whole implaling thing on noblemen and that if you were just some peasant he actually rocked because he loving hated useless nobility so much that you got a fair say in trails and poo poo.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
You can also pretty much see a historian's bias by whether they think Caracalla granting citizenship to provincials was a terrible mistake or not.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
The big thing to remember is that to be a historian in antiquity was virtually always to be a propagandists for or against someone. Which is totally different from how we do it these days honest! *tugs collar, shoves manuscript entitled "Dick Cheney: American Pinochet" out of sight*

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Agean90 posted:

I remember hearing somewhere that Vlad the impaler mostly did the whole implaling thing on noblemen and that if you were just some peasant he actually rocked because he loving hated useless nobility so much that you got a fair say in trails and poo poo.

That's awesome, do you have a source on that?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The big thing to remember is that to be a historian in antiquity was virtually always to be a propagandists for or against someone. Which is totally different from how we do it these days honest! *tugs collar, shoves manuscript entitled "Dick Cheney: American Pinochet" out of sight*

That title really doesn't tell us if you're in the pro or anti crowd, you should workshop it a bit more

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Goon Danton posted:

That title really doesn't tell us if you're in the pro or anti crowd, you should workshop it a bit more

I named it that chiefly as Dick once said his greatest fear was that someone would "Pinochet him" and his equally worthless daughter Liz has expressed similar concerns that history would not be fair to her blood-drenched father.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Haha Jesus Christ

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

mycomancy posted:

That's awesome, do you have a source on that?

most of my historical knowledge is half remembered from one of a dozen different sources which means the more unsure of it i am the more believable it becomes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bro Dad posted:

BTW the Roman Empire series on Netflix is actually really good this sort of thing

like the season about Caligula was more about his incredibly hosed up family and how it discredited his regime rather "he appointed his horse lol"

Also probably the only pop history you'll ever find that depicts Caesar in anything less than glowing terms. For example, the impetus for Caesar's assassination are legitimate fears that he'll eat poo poo like crassus and bankrupt the state on his campaigns.

the conspirators campaigned on the murder the following year, issuing coinage with daggers and a freedmans cap on the reverse of their own faces into public circulation to celebrate it so there was some reactionary audience for that narrative among the public.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Agean90 posted:

The impaling thing was probably an exaggeration of the one time he did it to a bunch of turkish prisoners to scare off the sultan

between that and mehmet II almost dying in a night attack the ottomans were like "gently caress this these yokels are insane" and they actually left. vlad the impaler's downfall was more about his lovely relationship with matthias corvinus than literally made-up cruelties of the hungarian court

also vlad brother's radu the beautiful was mehmet's hot twink boyfriend

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

in 9th grade my history teacher made us do march madness for worst authoritarian ever and it was a debate competition and i think he just wanted to hear kids get excited about hitlers death totals or whatever cause it was really creepy to compete on whos the most inhuman monster but the guy that had vlad got him to the final by just reading one hosed up execution story every round.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

in 9th grade my history teacher made us do march madness for worst authoritarian ever and it was a debate competition and i think he just wanted to hear kids get excited about hitlers death totals or whatever cause it was really creepy to compete on whos the most inhuman monster but the guy that had vlad got him to the final by just reading one hosed up execution story every round.

in middle school I had a book that was basically that and my favorite was always Idi Amen just because out of all the murderous dictators he was by far the laziest, like he mostly committed mass murder just by not caring about governing and contracting out the business of state to criminal gangs and cronies who basically ran the government as a protection racket

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Bernstrike posted:

all of history, is but posting writ large

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Squalid posted:

in middle school I had a book that was basically that and my favorite was always Idi Amen just because out of all the murderous dictators he was by far the laziest, like he mostly committed mass murder just by not caring about governing and contracting out the business of state to criminal gangs and cronies who basically ran the government as a protection racket

sounds like Mobutu actually

and of course there's always Mengistu's "I spent all my money on the army please help me my country is dying" style of neglectful despostism

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

in tenth grade world history every year the teacher would split the class into spartans and athenians and have a massive debate over which society was better. every year athens won except ours, where we swayed the votes with a spirited defense of eugenics

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sophistry was identified and shunned by the academy 2400 years ago but nobody told american high schools

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

sophistry was identified and shunned by the academy 2400 years ago but nobody told american high schools

if americans could identify sophistry we would be exploring another galaxy right now

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Bernstrike posted:

Caligula was simply too cool for Rome

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Realtalk though Caligula wasn't the addle-pated madman he usually get describe as being he was seriously a broken person who'd been severely traumatized for the first decade and change of his life, and probably not that fun to be around.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Realtalk though Caligula wasn't the addle-pated madman he usually get describe as being he was seriously a broken person who'd been severely traumatized for the first decade and change of his life, and probably not that fun to be around.

Vis videre quam ego got aurium cicatricibus?

edit stupid translator didnt get the got

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Bernstrike posted:

In general, one needs to remember that the concept of libel or slander did not really exist back then, so it was a pretty standard procedure to just lambaste someone who was disliked publically with any amount of nonsense. Since the senators wrote the histories (in a general sense) they just crucified guys like Caligula and Nero that they hated. Nero was in power for 13 years. He was bad, but he certainly was not hated by everyone. For Caligula he was definitely hosed up, but the horse thing is very likely to be him making the statement of "you idiots are so worthless I may as well put my horse in the Senate cause he at least can carry me around"

In the "no such thing as slander" category just look at what is written about Theodora wherein she is described as being history's most prolific whore.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i say swears online posted:

Vis videre quam ego got aurium cicatricibus?

edit stupid translator didnt get the got

visne; get that enclitic interrogative particle on yo verb

quam: no problem but the sense of "in what way" is better captured by quomodo

got: habuerim or acceperim or another tense of subjunctive needed in the indirect question

aurium cicatricibus: this says "with/by scars of the ears." you probably want to say "scars on my ears" so you need the accusative and a prepositional phrase like cicatrices in auribus

tldr: google translate for latin is a hot trainwreck mess

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 20:16 on Oct 22, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It went back and forth just fine!! you just dont want to hear the truth about how we live in a society

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nero was so hated that several usurpers managed to start popular revolts by claiming they were him after he died

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Plutonis posted:

Nero was so hated that several usurpers managed to start popular revolts by claiming they were him after he died

The common folk prefer dictators to elites.

Both loving suck

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Sertorius was cool as hell

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

In general, one needs to remember that the concept of libel or slander did not really exist back then, so it was a pretty standard procedure to just lambaste someone who was disliked publically with any amount of nonsense. Since the senators wrote the histories (in a general sense) they just crucified guys like Caligula and Nero that they hated. Nero was in power for 13 years. He was bad, but he certainly was not hated by everyone. For Caligula he was definitely hosed up, but the horse thing is very likely to be him making the statement of "you idiots are so worthless I may as well put my horse in the Senate cause he at least can carry me around"

In the "no such thing as slander" category just look at what is written about Theodora wherein she is described as being history's most prolific whore.

My pet peeve when it comes to Caligula is the Seashells story. People act like he just marched an army to the sea and asked them to collect seashells but.. What if that was a giant gently caress you to his troops? Think about this:

We know that Caligula's successor, Claudius eventually conquered britain. What plenty of people either do not know or forget, is that his army first mutinied and absolutely refused to do the crossing. It took a lot of convincing to get them on those ships... What if years earlier, Caligula faced the very same problem? He tried to invade britain but his troops mutinied? Everything I know about Caligula makes me think he wasn't a patient man and would probably be more inclined to give up than to risk getting himself murdered by his troops.

So what if once they mutinied, he brought them to the sea and had them collect seashells as a way to humiliate them? Considering the length of time, it's quite possible that these were the very same troops that Claudius had to deal with a few years later. They would remember Caligula's humiliation and possibly get on the boats?

twoday
May 4, 2005

How Sertorius came to be worshiped as a demi-god by his ragtag army of Berbers and Iberians after being exiled in North Africa:

Plutarch posted:

However, at the time of which I speak he set out from Africa on the invitation of the Lusitanians. These he proceeded to organize at once, acting as their general with full powers, and he brought the neighbouring parts of Spain into subjection. Most p29 of the people joined him of their own accord, owing chiefly to his mildness and efficiency; but sometimes he also betook himself to cunning devices of his own for deceiving and charming them. The chief one of these, certainly, was the device of the doe, which was as follows.

2 Spanus, a plebeian who lived in the country, came upon a doe which had newly yeaned and was trying to escape the hunters. The mother he could not overtake, but the fawn — and he was struck with its unusual colour, for it was entirely white — he pursued and caught. And since, as it chanced, Sertorius had taken up his quarters in that region, and gladly received everything in the way of game or produce that was brought him as a gift, and made kindly returns to those who did him such favours, Spanus brought the fawn and gave it to him. 3 Sertorius accepted it, and at the moment felt only the ordinary pleasure in a gift; but in time, after he had made the animal so tame and gentle that it obeyed his call, accompanied him on his walks, and did not mind the crowds and all the uproar of camp life, he gradually tried to give the doe a religious importance by declaring that she was a gift of Diana, and solemnly alleged that she revealed many hidden things to him, knowing that the Barbarians were naturally an easy prey to superstition. 4 He also added such devices as these. Whenever he had secret intelligence that the enemy had made an incursion into the territory which he commanded, or were trying to bring a city to revolt from him, he would pretend that the doe had conversed with him in his dreams, bidding him hold his forces in readiness. Again, when he got tidings of some victory won by his generals, he would hide the p31 messenger, and bring forth the doe wearing garlands for the receipt of glad tidings, exhorting his men to be of good cheer and to sacrifice to the gods, assured that they were to learn of some good fortune.

12 1 By these devices he made the people tractable, and so found them more serviceable for all his plans; they believed that they were led, not by the mortal wisdom of a foreigner, but by a god. At the same time events also brought witness to this belief by reason of the extraordinary growth of the power of Sertorius. 2 For with the twenty-six hundred men whom he called Romans, and a motley band of seven hundred Libyans who crossed over into Lusitania with him, to whom he added four thousand Lusitanian targeteers and seven hundred horsemen, he waged war with four Roman generals, under whom were a hundred and twenty thousand footmen, six thousand horsemen, two thousand bowmen and slingers, and an untold number of cities, while he himself had at first only twenty all told. 3 But nevertheless, from so weak and slender a beginning, he not only subdued great nations and took many cities, but was also victorious over the generals sent against him: Cotta he defeated in a sea-fight in the straits near Mellaria;c Fufidius, the governor of Baetica, he routed on the banks of the Baetis with the slaughter of two thousand Roman soldiers; Lucius Domitius, who was pro-consul of the other Spain,23 was defeated at the hands of his quaestor; 4 Thoranius, another of the commanders sent out by Metellus with an army, he slew; and on Metellus himself, the greatest Roman p33 of the time and held in highest repute, he inflicted many defeats and reduced him to so great straits that Lucius Manlius came from Gallia Narbonensis to help him, and Pompey the Great was hurriedly dispatched from Rome with an army.

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Plutarch/Lives/Sertorius*.html

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

twoday posted:

Sertorius was cool as hell

:hai:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dalael posted:

My pet peeve when it comes to Caligula is the Seashells story. People act like he just marched an army to the sea and asked them to collect seashells but.. What if that was a giant gently caress you to his troops? Think about this:

We know that Caligula's successor, Claudius eventually conquered britain. What plenty of people either do not know or forget, is that his army first mutinied and absolutely refused to do the crossing. It took a lot of convincing to get them on those ships... What if years earlier, Caligula faced the very same problem? He tried to invade britain but his troops mutinied? Everything I know about Caligula makes me think he wasn't a patient man and would probably be more inclined to give up than to risk getting himself murdered by his troops.

So what if once they mutinied, he brought them to the sea and had them collect seashells as a way to humiliate them? Considering the length of time, it's quite possible that these were the very same troops that Claudius had to deal with a few years later. They would remember Caligula's humiliation and possibly get on the boats?

Uh, that's exactly what every reputable historian thinks really happened.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Uh, that's exactly what every reputable historian thinks really happened.

That's possible. I'm pretty sure i heard this version in the history of rome podcast.

But every documentary i've ever seen just portray him as some dumb rear end who was just crazy and had his army do this for the heck of it.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

twoday posted:

How Sertorius came to be worshiped as a demi-god by his ragtag army of Berbers and Iberians after being exiled in North Africa:

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Plutarch/Lives/Sertorius*.html

the original Big Boss

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

apocalypse nunc

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Squalid posted:

The Last King of Scotland is very good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

btw if you are interested in modern scholars desperate to make a name for themselves, google rehabilitating nero. about 3 years ago a bunch of pop history pieces were published by nat geo et al. discussing how its a new frontier in research. nothing ive seen has come from it yet. the flavian propaganda game is too on point. thank you blessed Martial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

shout out to all the forensics experts out there who are diligently working to create reconstructions of ancient people that don't look like they could possibly be accurate

Julius Caesar:

Medieval man of Aberdeen:

2,000 year old Scottish woman: