Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

DickStatkus posted:

Concerning the boy becoming Hooded Justice; a black Hooded Justice being whitewashed runs parallel to Bass Reeves, the lawman in the film at the beginning, being whitewashed into The Lone Ranger irl. This is immediately reinforced by the staging of an all black Oklahoma play. To me this is a very interesting route to take concerning the neoliberal admiration of something like Hamilton where we applaud an all POC cast for performing a white story, which amounts to a modern minstrel show (If it was really subversive Mike Pence wouldn’t be trying to get a ticket). The suggestion that America’s future lies in a dystopian fascist state whether under a conservative or neoliberal regime is very tantalizing and I think if this show swerves the way it’s going to swerve it’s going to break brains from every political persuasion.

The fact he was gay as well is a huge holy poo poo if the first masked vigilante was gay AND black(and possibly a communist) but it was all white washed and covered up for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DickStatkus posted:

Concerning the boy becoming Hooded Justice; a black Hooded Justice being whitewashed runs parallel to Bass Reeves, the lawman in the film at the beginning, being whitewashed into The Lone Ranger irl. This is immediately reinforced by the staging of an all black Oklahoma play. To me this is a very interesting route to take concerning the neoliberal admiration of something like Hamilton where we applaud an all POC cast for performing a white story, which amounts to a modern minstrel show (If it was really subversive Mike Pence wouldn’t be trying to get a ticket). The suggestion that America’s future lies in a dystopian fascist state whether under a conservative or neoliberal regime is very tantalizing and I think if this show swerves the way it’s going to swerve it’s going to break brains from every political persuasion.

Right but the only source for him being white is the actual art of Watchmen, which isn't in-universe material like Under the Hood or the New Frontiersman etc.

In the end though, his role in the original comic is minor and not significant so if it makes a better story, retcon away.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I wonder if the reason there's no smartphones is because they can't use lithium batteries.

Then again the cars appear to be electric so who knows?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If anyone wants to dive into the show's lore, there's a companion website, breakdown on BMD here.

e: According to that site, it sounds like people became tech-phobic in response to Dr. Manhattan's presence.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 21, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
For those who have read everything, are Before Watchmen and/or Doomsday Clock worthwhile? I avoided Before Watchmen just because of fear it would tarnish the original, but I'm open to other opinions on it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
General consensus is that the Darwyn Cooke Minutemen comic is fun and solid if unnecessary, and that the others are all varying degrees of disappointing.

The Doomsday Clock stuff is pretty well done from what I've seen of it (rather, watched YouTube videos about it) but it's a Justice League story, not a Watchmen story. If you like standard superhero fare, it'll be up your alley. If you're expecting something with the sensibilities of Watchmen, you're not going to find what you're hoping for.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 21, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Before Watchmen is extremely forgetable but the Ozymandias one is redeemed by its art.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

For those who have read everything, are Before Watchmen and/or Doomsday Clock worthwhile? I avoided Before Watchmen just because of fear it would tarnish the original, but I'm open to other opinions on it.

They are both embarrassingly terrible. Especially Doomsday clock. Avoid avoid avoid.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Necrothatcher posted:

They are both embarrassingly terrible. Especially Doomsday clock. Avoid avoid avoid.

Looks like there's a pretty solid consensus here. Thanks all.

After the trash that was the most recent Sandman book I didn't really want to touch the poop. I'll just read the original comic and all the supplemental stuff within again.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

Doomsday Clock is a standard Justice League story with Dr. Manhattan and Ozymandias, which is funny, but it's not remotely as actually good as the original comics. Still kinda funny to see more wholesome and simple comics characters go :psyduck: at the weirdo perverts from Watchmen

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 21, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is this show why Jean Smart was barely in the last season of Legion?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I loves me some Tim Blake Nelson so I’m glad he gets a decent spot here.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Aphrodite posted:

Right but the only source for him being white is the actual art of Watchmen, which isn't in-universe material like Under the Hood or the New Frontiersman etc.

In the end though, his role in the original comic is minor and not significant so if it makes a better story, retcon away.

but the scene in which it is depicted is not the objective reality of the comic world, it's the (very fallible) memory of an old woman. The moment we see his eyes are as he's tearing The Comedian off of Silk Spectre I in her memory of the event. It would be very easy to say "her memory was wrong" in the canon of the comic and that she had whitewashed him just like everyone else, because the defining characteristic of that memory was the assault itself.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

That or maybe he just wore eye makeup under the mask, like Batman

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

feedmyleg posted:

If anyone wants to dive into the show's lore, there's a companion website, breakdown on BMD here.

e: According to that site, it sounds like people became tech-phobic in response to Dr. Manhattan's presence.

Wow, the companion site is well worth checking out. It's filling in a lot of backstory - notably, the publication and reaction to Rorschach's journal.

Also :lol: Dr. Oz is the Surgeon General and Ezra Klein is Redford's press secretary.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

General Dog posted:

That or maybe he just wore eye makeup under the mask, like Batman

please don't make more sensible alternatives to my very brilliant idea about the fallibility of human memory

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The idea of Hooded Justice putting big rings of white concealer around his eyes and always talking in the Dave Chapelle “generic white man” voice is extremely funny to me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The problem with that is Under the Hood mentions that Captain Metropolis was pretty racist while a different supplemental part reveals he was secretly in a relationship with Hooded Justice.

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing

i'm sorry, what do you call a police force that requires firearms authorization but has appropriated the use of vigilante masks and has no external accountability?

what do you call a government that has issued reparations to descendants of slaves but has no presidential term limits?

the contradictions are what makes this show good

Ross DaouThot fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 21, 2019

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The old man is going to turn out to be Hooded Justice

The comics strongly suggested who Hooded Justice was. And it made a lot of sense given what we saw of him with the Minutemen. It's hard to imagine the show ret-conning all of that.

But on another level, it does make sense - the old man has a whole Superman thing going on, and his costume literally has a noose around his neck. He admired Bass Reeves in the same way the old Nite Owl took his inspiration from Hooded Justice and policemen. It's not that far-fetched, but it feels like they need to address the previous theory from the comics or it'll feel lazy.

Edit: e;fb so bad, ok let's not restart what was already said ignore me.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 21, 2019

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

The problem with that is Under the Hood mentions that Captain Metropolis was pretty racist while a different supplemental part reveals he was secretly in a relationship with Hooded Justice.

Yeah there's a lot of things in there that make a black Hooded Justice in the comic unlikely, so hopefully if they do it they acknowledge that stuff and don't just ignore it all.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Yeah, I can buy a baby squid rain shower, but a hypocritical racist? That's just too drat crazy for this show.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

gently caress yes

https://mobile.twitter.com/pitchfork/status/1186323775505211392

39 tracks total

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This was a lot better than I was expecting. Though they telegraphed Don Johnson's death pretty hard.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

This was a lot better than I was expecting. Though they telegraphed Don Johnson's death pretty hard.

I was expecting him to get his head blown when he was standing on top of the airship after the rough landing.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Only watching to make sure Veidt gets his comeuppance

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

On a second watch, I found my favourite bit of the 'pod' interrogation imagery

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Racists gently caress poc all the time tho

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

There was a post in the relationships thread a few days ago of a man married to a black woman while being super casually racist in his basic thought processes, he was only even posting because he wasn't sure if he was an rear end in a top hat for telling his wife to be his dishwasher over a spat of him never hiring a black employee. He, of course, didn't acknowledge his own biases in the least and presumably his being married to a black woman is used to excuse a lot of his bigotry.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Harlock posted:

Only watching to make sure Veidt gets his comeuppance

At age 80 it wouldn't be that cathartic IMO.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Nail Rat posted:

At age 80 it wouldn't be that cathartic IMO.

Murdered by his Westworld Sex Robots seems pretty satisfying to me

DickStatkus
Oct 25, 2006

Something that’s funny I noticed on my second watch related to this whole Hooded Justice white eyes thing is in the “American Hero Story” commercial that plays on Jud’s television the animation zooms into Hooded Justice’s white eye for the logo lockup of the fictional show. Haha they have to know that’s what people would fixate on.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Anyone else get the distinct impression Panda is less than enthused about the current state of the police force. A panda head that he's clearly given no care + regular office wear for a costume. "Panda" for a code name. A refusal to step out of line of what very very few limitations have been put on officers in his role as rule enforcement.

Someone, to me, seems to clearly not like the direction in which things have gone over the past three years.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 21, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

OK, so here's a question I have regarding the whole Hooded Justice thing:

In the second look at Under the Hood we get (after issue 2 of the comic), Hollis Mason mentions that Hooded Justice expressed admiration for Hitler's third reich, but then he posits a theory about the strongman that died supposedly being Hooded Justice, who would have been on the run to avoid giving his real identity because he was an east german/communist agent? Those two things don't seem to jibe (unless there's something I'm missing).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

OK, so here's a question I have regarding the whole Hooded Justice thing:

In the second look at Under the Hood we get (after issue 2 of the comic), Hollis Mason mentions that Hooded Justice expressed admiration for Hitler's third reich, but then he posits a theory about the strongman that died supposedly being Hooded Justice, who would have been on the run to avoid giving his real identity because he was an east german/communist agent? Those two things don't seem to jibe (unless there's something I'm missing).

He said that’s what the crazy anticommunist newspaper said, the one that later prints the super antisemitic cartoon. All that’s certain is his body washed up with a bullet to the back of the head.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Rappaport posted:

On a second watch, I found my favourite bit of the 'pod' interrogation imagery

It's my favourite part. Mostly because Tim Blake Nelson rules, the score rules, and I like the remix of Rorschach imagery in it. It helps that Looking Glass is incredibly distinct looking. I thought the reflective mask thing looked goofy in stills, but it works really well in practice.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

LG's mask is my favorite costuming bit from the show so far. Then Sister Night's whole getup. poo poo owns.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
What was up with the focus on the picture frame as Don Johnson was leaving the house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I enjoyed it but it has that same fanficcy vibe that accompanies all expansions on Alan Moore's work. I think I'll enjoy it more if I disassociate it from the comic and think of it more as a 'what if' story.