Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Staring at Cindy's art that I just set on fire, my character loudly screams into the night: "YOU HAVE BEEN POLICED, MARTINAISE!"

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ytlaya posted:

Going to start playing this tonight. I usually read the negative reviews about a game to get a good feel for how it might be, and the negative reviews for this make me optimistic (they seem to frequently consist of people complaining about not being able to control failure and save-scumming, which implies that the negative reviews are from people who just expected a more traditional isometric RPG game).

Or people with 13 hour playtimes claiming your decisions don't make much of a difference when they've obviously only played it once at the most (hint, they make a whole lot of a difference).

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm not terribly far in but I know the developers have made claims that you'd need something like a 60 hour playtime to do a completionist runthrough of the game and then 3 total runthroughs to see most of what the game has to offer.

Even if they're exaggerating thats still a heck of alot of ground to cover and I'm v excited to see it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Agent355 posted:

I'm not terribly far in but I know the developers have made claims that you'd need something like a 60 hour playtime to do a completionist runthrough of the game and then 3 total runthroughs to see most of what the game has to offer.

Even if they're exaggerating thats still a heck of alot of ground to cover and I'm v excited to see it.

I feel like that was a generous overassessment, I think "60 hours between multiple playthroughs to see everything" is probably the most accurate. The first playthrough can take anywhere from 12 hours to 30 hours depending on how much you explore and linger. I'm a quick reader and still staring down the barrel of a 28 hour first run lol

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ytlaya posted:

Going to start playing this tonight. I usually read the negative reviews about a game to get a good feel for how it might be, and the negative reviews for this make me optimistic (they seem to frequently consist of people complaining about not being able to control failure and save-scumming, which implies that the negative reviews are from people who just expected a more traditional isometric RPG game).
All negative reviews of this game I read were idiotic. Don't get me wrong, the game can be criticized. It's just that 100% of the reviews I read are either complaining the game isn't a real RPG or that if a game starts with an amnesia trope then the writing can not be considered good no matter what happens afterwards, them's the rules. One review complained that at 25+ hours the game is too short for an RPG and therefore not worth buying.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Harrow posted:

I'm really glad I had high Conceptualization, Inland Empire, and Shivers on my first run. All of those skills piped up with so many great passives that added so much flavor and atmosphere.

But my favorite part of those is that as far as I can tell, Inland Empire and Shivers don't lie to you. They can be cryptic, but they always seem to tell the truth. This applies even very early in the game, when, if you shoot down the corpse, he can tell you that (to paraphrase) love did him in, but communism pulled the trigger. And that's... actually kind of true. I like that, early on, it's easy to see Inland Empire and Shivers as "meaningful hallucinations" but the way things bear out I think they're definitely more on the side of "actual supernatural visions and perception" than hallucination.

Inland Empire is the voice of all the social cues you pick up on a subconscious level- empathy for something you do not know, the awareness that that something feels wrong (or right) and you do not know why. We call it supernatural because we cannot nail down what the hell our mirror neurons are reflecting, but we know it's a reflection we're picking up.

Shivers, on the other hand, is Ancient Lizard Brain shouting THIS BIT'S IMPORTANT, MONKEY up your spine and picking up a couple of weird echoes along the way.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I continue to be amazed at anyone who thinks this game is too cynical.

This game absolutely drips with humanity and pathos.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Palpek posted:

All negative reviews of this game I read were idiotic. Don't get me wrong, the game can be criticized. It's just that 100% of the reviews I read are either complaining the game isn't a real RPG or that if a game starts with an amnesia trope then the writing can not be considered good no matter what happens afterwards, them's the rules. One review complained that at 25+ hours the game is too short for an RPG and therefore not worth buying.

Or that it's not a real "game" and just a visual novel,

Basically the only ones worth paying attention to are people complaining about the bugs, because those are numerous.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Palpek posted:

Ugh. Whenever someone points to game length as a negative I immediately disqualify their opinion in my mind.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

The game gives you the option to be gross and disgusting but it isn't necessary to choose them to progress at all. Much like how you can choose to say your detective is a racist fascist it's role-playing in the truest sense of the word as you have to actively choose it.

I have a feeling lots of reviewers are just clicking every option in the dialogue trees and are surprised when the gross options have actual consequences in the world.

Zikan fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 21, 2019

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Some reviewers have said that the political attitude of the game is too flippant or cynical; I think what those folks are missing is that is the inbuilt attitude of your character. Like, this dude wakes up from an alcoholic bender so titanic he has erased all knowledge of his own past and reality, of course any ideology this person discovers-and-embraces is going to be the dumbest, loudest, most snarling version of that thing, because they are an awful perpetual garbage fire of a human being. The rest of the game is very carefully human, I feel.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

This game more than most punishes the people who pick every dialogue options regardless of whether thats what their character 'would' say or not. I'm trying to play the smart by the book boring cop just to see how it plays out so I'm skipping every silly dialogue option and the game actively calls me on it. My inner voices complain that I never have any fun.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I think its also that way too many people on the Internet have such absolutely negligible media analysis skills and have to absolutely have everything spelled out to them or else they scream PLOT HOLE.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Idk, I think there's enough Lisa in there in how raw and frank some of the darker stuff is, especially if you delve deeper into characters like Cuno.

Harrow posted:

A nice little touch I enjoy is how, if you mouse over Thought Cabinet ideas or clothes and look at the skill bonuses and penalties they give, there's always a little blurb that contextualizes/explains why each bonus/penalty exists. Those little blurbs are often pretty fun.

I enjoy how evocative some of them are despite being little pieces of disconnected prose. Like, I just "solved" the Precarious World one and in other games it could almost be some end-game motivational speech excerpt. In Disco Elysium, it's just another mid-week thought you can have.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
I've been running through a few runs and trying bits to find out where you get all the thoughts from, but I'm having trouble tracking a few down.

Does anyone know where to get "Homo Sexual Underground" from?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Stupid kids :argh:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

OscarDiggs posted:

I've been running through a few runs and trying bits to find out where you get all the thoughts from, but I'm having trouble tracking a few down.

Does anyone know where to get "Homo Sexual Underground" from?
The smoking man on the balcony eventually turns up at the Whirling-in-Rags, and you can ask him about it there. Possibly you need to pass your check to meet him later the first time you see him, I didn't fail so I'm not positive there.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Hogama posted:

The smoking man on the balcony eventually turns up at the Whirling-in-Rags, and you can ask him about it there. Possibly you need to pass your check to meet him later the first time you see him, I didn't fail so I'm not positive there.

Hum. I didn't get a check when I met him on the balcony to talk to his Sunday friend. I just got a thing that said I'd not see him again.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What happens if you turn in Klassje to the spy guy in the smoking man's apartment?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Ah I loaded back and checked.

It said "We're never going to meet someone this cool again" and he did promise we'd speak later. No check to pass though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I know it's been said a lot, but Kim is a great example of a foil who still has a distinct character of his own.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Nothingtoseehere posted:

You don't need to mess with cheat engine or anything to break the game, old fashioned save editing does the trick. The saves are in Appdata/Locallow under the studios name, saved as zip files. Open one up, take the .JSON file out, edit in notepad++ (skill points/stats is about line 1000), put JSON back in zip, and load save. Tada, one OP character.

The thing about this game, though, is that it's actually meant to be played where you fail some checks and it's a superior experience that way - tons of funny, important, and even more valuable info and gameplay is behind failed checks. I started an OP char and it's interesting to see some of the things that were hidden behind failed passive checks but it's clearly not how it's intended to be played and, as far as I'm concerned, a flat-out inferior experience. 1111 might be more fun than 9999

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

chaosapiant posted:

Also, I have a feeling that this game is going to leave me feeling kind of empty when it's over,

Hello from the future.
Yes.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I don't want to hit spoilers but I think I've locked myself in right at the beginning? I'm on the docks and talking to Evrart Claire and he hits me with two Morale Decreases right after the other - I can heal after the first one, but the second one I don't have anything for? (and both answers cause the morale to decrease) I also can't figure out how to actually LEAVE the docks, the place I jumped down to get my coat from is inaccessible, and there aren't any other exits that I can find?

If I've gotta reload an old save, I gotta do it, but I'd rather not, you know?

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Deathlove posted:

I don't want to hit spoilers but I think I've locked myself in right at the beginning? I'm on the docks and talking to Evrart Claire and he hits me with two Morale Decreases right after the other - I can heal after the first one, but the second one I don't have anything for? (and both answers cause the morale to decrease) I also can't figure out how to actually LEAVE the docks, the place I jumped down to get my coat from is inaccessible, and there aren't any other exits that I can find?

I had a hard time with that as well. You have to enter the building you jumped from to get your coat; the other door to that building is the locked one at the top of the stairs outside the docks, but you can open it from the inside.

e: just realised you were probably trying to leave without talking to Evrart. In that case I don't that's possible.

lost in postation fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 21, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

regulargonzalez posted:

The thing about this game, though, is that it's actually meant to be played where you fail some checks and it's a superior experience that way - tons of funny, important, and even more valuable info and gameplay is behind failed checks. I started an OP char and it's interesting to see some of the things that were hidden behind failed passive checks but it's clearly not how it's intended to be played and, as far as I'm concerned, a flat-out inferior experience. 1111 might be more fun than 9999
Yo, could you link a download to a day 1 hour 1 save game for a 9999 character? I'm rather interested in how that plays out.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Btw, you will need Kim for extra dialogue options when talking to certain people for some of the quest progression.

I don't think I saw anyone running 2/4/2/4. It was a very fun run especially with like 11 perception and volition.

poe meater fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 21, 2019

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Just finished the game. I only heard about Disco Elysium a few weeks before release and thought that it sounded cool but will probably end up disappointing on some level. Boy was I wrong on the second part, this is one of those very rare games that not only didn't disappoint but far exceeded my expectations. Didn't ever think a computer game could be as well-written as DE. It manages to be absurdly funny one moment and poignant or tragic the next without ever feeling like it skipped a beat. The game looks great too with the style of everything looking like a painting. It's also about as bug-free as an RPG has ever been, especially one of this depth. There were a handful of typos hidden in the mountains of text and there was an issue where sometimes shirts would be invisible until I restarted the program. Usually in these kind of RPGs it feels like navigating a minefield of game-breaking glitches.

Insanely good game, game of the century. Only problem is that it's one of those rare games that's so good that every other game is going to seem quite a bit duller now.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Honestly it's more of a second person novella than a game.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

Shivers, on the other hand, is Ancient Lizard Brain shouting THIS BIT'S IMPORTANT, MONKEY up your spine and picking up a couple of weird echoes along the way.

i think of shivers as more of the "hard boiled noir detective who's always talking about *the city*" skill, which is why it fits in with the strength category because that whole category is made for the beefy punchy noir guy kind of detective trope

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Gobblecoque posted:

It's also about as bug-free as an RPG has ever been, especially one of this depth. There were a handful of typos hidden in the mountains of text and there was an issue where sometimes shirts would be invisible until I restarted the program. Usually in these kind of RPGs it feels like navigating a minefield of game-breaking glitches.

Insanely good game, game of the century. Only problem is that it's one of those rare games that's so good that every other game is going to seem quite a bit duller now.

I dunno man there is a pretty big bug right at the end

:rimshot:

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.

Dunno if anybody has mentioned this bc I can't ever keep up with threads.

Was just staring at this painting but I realized something about it that makes me wonder if it's intentional: this is basically the perspective of the shooter.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Professor Cthulhu posted:

Dunno if anybody has mentioned this bc I can't ever keep up with threads.

Was just staring at this painting but I realized something about it that makes me wonder if it's intentional: this is basically the perspective of the shooter.

Looking at the map I don't think the sniper could see the church or the feld building from the shooting position
https://i.imgur.com/7roKlah.jpg

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

can't really call it bug free when bugs locked me out of 3 quests...

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Accordion Man posted:

I found Pathologic 2 too much of a poorly designed slog when I really wanted a version of Pathologic that wasn't that. Ice Pick can claim its their vision all they want, they just have always sucked at making decent game design.

Disco Elysium does a much better job about having themes around failure without you easily running into an unwinnable state twenty hours in.

at uhh, what point did you find the game 'unwinnable'

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Early game sorta spoilers I guess.

I'm finding myself working with evrart as doing poo poo for him seems to directly advance my goals but it feels skeezy as all hell. It also feels like I don't have many options besides this but that seems weird. This doesn't seem like the sort of thing th game would force you to do but I can't seem to see any alternatives. I'm just going to roll with it for this playthrough but I'm missing something right?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Your shining moral beacon, the protagonist, skeezy?

Ok I give up how do I check the boardwalk for bullet traces? Can't find an interact.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Agent355 posted:

Early game sorta spoilers I guess.

I'm finding myself working with evrart as doing poo poo for him seems to directly advance my goals but it feels skeezy as all hell. It also feels like I don't have many options besides this but that seems weird. This doesn't seem like the sort of thing th game would force you to do but I can't seem to see any alternatives. I'm just going to roll with it for this playthrough but I'm missing something right?

I finished the game without ever doing anything for evrart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Oh my god this failed karaoke check. Haven't heard this level of commitment since Commander's song in Ghost of a Tale.