Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kesper North posted:

Oyyy. If we start shooting at Turkey I don't think we're gonna get our nukes back.

The security around those nukes is ridiculous. And the best part? Even if somehow all the security measures to keep the weapons out of the wrong hands fails, the bombs are completely useless without the codes. The codes that are in the football that travels with POTUS.

The more head loving thing is trump talking about being willing to start shooting Turkey, a NATO ally, if he needs to.

Putin had to be loving thrilled to hear that tidbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Woodchip posted:

Dien Bien Phu went well

Idk if Incirlik is the set piece battle that will break the back of Erdogan's forces, but okay

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

The security around those nukes is ridiculous. And the best part? Even if somehow all the security measures to keep the weapons out of the wrong hands fails, the bombs are completely useless without the codes. The codes that are in the football that travels with POTUS.

The wrong hands in this case is the countries of Turkey and Russia. How fast do you think they'd have those physics packages rebuilt into something else?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em

When news like this comes out it really does make me want to pick up smoking again.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

EBB posted:

When news like this comes out it really does make me want to pick up smoking again.
Crack

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The more head loving thing is trump talking about being willing to start shooting Turkey, a NATO ally, if he needs to.

Locks keep honest men honest.

They're bombs. They're nuclear bombs in the hands of an unstable fascist country.

In 2016, I would joke all the time, "do you want Trump to have the nuclear football?"

Because now he's literally fumbled it.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

I have no doubt that Erdogan couldn't do poo poo with them, if they even tried you'd land half the marines on their head. I'm not worried about that, I'm worried that Erdogan even thought it was a reasonable thing to do to threaten their integrity, it's well up there with the dumbest, most short sighted political things I've seen even evil bastard dictators do over my life.

How do you go from 0 to WAR in 60 seconds? Err, that basically.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Is a bitch.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hexyflexy posted:

I have no doubt that Erdogan couldn't do poo poo with them, if they even tried you'd land half the marines on their head. I'm not worried about that, I'm worried that Erdogan even thought it was a reasonable thing to do to threaten their integrity, it's well up there with the dumbest, most short sighted political things I've seen even evil bastard dictators do over my life.

How do you go from 0 to WAR in 60 seconds? Err, that basically.

This administration epitomizes the “shoot your shot” mentality. Might as well try your dumb loving plans because the chances are better than usual you’ll get away with them.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Wasabi the J posted:

They're bombs. They're nuclear bombs in the hands of an unstable fascist country.
So who would we give them to?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yeah, even threatening a base like that is a bad idea. You might take it but you're not keeping it and the consequences will range from dire to world-ending.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Erdogan's leash isn't that long and he knows it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

joat mon posted:

So who would we give them to?

Uhhhh (spins globe).... idk Canada?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Erdrogan's leash isn't that long and he knows it

I suspect its significantly longer than we all hope it is.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The idea that PALs would stop a state level actor from making functional weapons out of 50 B61s worth of weapons grade fissile material is laughable on its face. Even if they have to detonate the chemical explosives in a blast chamber and recover what's left it's still an engineering problem and a massive shortcut around building an enrichment program.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
May Allah bless this mess.

https://twitter.com/BrandyZadrozny/status/1186398345029443584

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

The idea that PALs would stop a state level actor from making functional weapons out of 50 B61s worth of weapons grade fissile material is laughable on its face. Even if they have to detonate the chemical explosives in a blast chamber and recover what's left it's still an engineering problem and a massive shortcut around building an enrichment program.

Yeh that's true, but it isn't what I'm worried about. If you gave a bunch of us goons a chunk of plutonium we could probably build a fairly crappy nuke, the physics isn't that hard in the scheme of things. It's the threat - "do what we want or we're going to grab these B61s off you and what're you going to do about it?".

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I would be more worried about Turkey passing fissile material on to non-state actors who could at the very least build cheap dirty bombs.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Hexyflexy posted:

Yeh that's true, but it isn't what I'm worried about. If you gave a bunch of us goons a chunk of plutonium we could probably build a fairly crappy nuke, the physics isn't that hard in the scheme of things. It's the threat - "do what we want or we're going to grab these B61s off you and what're you going to do about it?".

Probably give the 75th Ranger Regiment a new home base with the 82nd airborne and 2ACR (or whoever the hell has that mission now) to follow shortly.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hexyflexy posted:

Uh, yes it is. Do you have any idea how precisely that poo poo has to be machined, or what plutonium likes to do while being machined, not to mention how spot-on the explosives have to be to trigger it? Get it wrong and it wont work, full stop.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

Just going to leave this piece of history here.

https://gizmodo.com/for-20-years-the-nuclear-launch-code-at-us-minuteman-si-1473483587

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Uh, yes it is. Do you have any idea how precisely that poo poo has to be machined, or what plutonium likes to do while being machined, not to mention how spot-on the explosives have to be to trigger it? Get it wrong and it wont work, full stop.

How much do you think policymakers would be willing to bet against Turkish PMEL?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Somebody in the milhist thread made a big effort post about the B61 will probably brick itself when tampered with a few days ago:

LatwPIAT posted:

There are some half-declassified documents that strongly imply that the decision to fit PALs to nuclear bombs were strongly influenced by the tensions between Turkey and Greece and the fears that one or both sides would seize the US warheads.

This is almost certainly not the case for all nuclear warheads, particularly not the B61. The B61 architecture simply doesn't support it. The way the B61 is design has the nuclear bomb as an isolated device that will detonate once an internal capacitor has been charged. The PAL is mounted to the charging leads of the capacitor and mainly ensures that the battery can't leak charge to the capacitors unless the correct PAL code is entered. It was a security concern with the B61 bomb (IIRC) that it was possible to separate the PAL from the bomb, at which point you could detonate it by, essentially, connecting a car battery to the capacitors. The B61 PAL seems to work primarily by mechanical links, which serve to either rotate the carefully timed explosives into or out of the correct position, or rotating the electrical connection between the battery and capacitors out of the way.

I can go into more detail on the design of US PAL systems if you want!

LatwPIAT posted:

Basically the system I know the most about is the D-cat PAL fitted to the B61 nuclear bomb, so I'll talk about it:

The basic idea of the Permissive Action Link is that if you accidentally drop a nuclear bomb out of a plane, you don't want it to detonate by itself. This poses a problem, since if you intentionally drop a nuclear bomb out of a plane, you very definitely want it to detonate by itself. This is the same problem faced by all bombs - you want them to explode on something you want to kill and definitely not explode at any other time - but while someone dropping two tons of TNT by accident will at worst kill a city block, someone dropping two megatons of nuclear warhead by accident will destroy a city. And while the loss of the city block is regrettable, it's not the same as accidentally killing an entire city and/or setting off WWIII.

There's also two more factors to consider:
a) You don't want a nuclear bomb to explode while it's sitting in storage. Again, bad enough when regular bombs explode by accident, but a nuclear warhead is far worse.
b) You don't want anyone to steal your nuclear bomb and use it for nefarious purposes.

This creates two broad requirements for the Permissive Action Link - the system that tells the nuclear bomb when it is and isn't OK to detonate.
1) There has to be an intent to use the bomb: no accidental detonations
2) There has to be authorization to use the bomb: no nuclear terrorist, fanatical Greeks and Turks, or rogue generals planning to win WWIII by preemptive strike

In the B61, this is solved by numerous safety systems in the Permissive Action Link:
1) The B61 will only explode if it has been dropped from an airplane
2) The B61 will only explode if the correct code has been input
3) The B61 will not explode if you try to guess the code
4) The B61 will not explode if subjected to extreme conditions, such as e.g. falling off a shelf, being inside a crashed plane as it burns, etc.
5) The B61 will not explode if anyone tries to disable the safety systems

This is achieved through two processes called "stronglinks" and "weaklinks". Stronglinks ensure that the bomb will detonate only if certain conditions have been met, such as a correct code or having been dropped out of a plane: they're strong, permitting detonation only if met and never failing. Weaklinks ensure that the bomb will disable itself if involved in an accident or tinkered with: they're weak, failing easily in a way that disables the bomb.

The publicly known PAL subsystems of the B61 bomb are:
1) A Trajectory Safety stronglink that measures whether the bomb has experienced acceleration and rotation that would indicate it'd been chucked out the back of a plane
2) An Intent Safety stronglink that only arms when someone enters the correct code
3) An Arming Safety stronglink that ensures the battery doesn't have power to detonate the nuclear warhead until someone's intentionally recharged the battery
4) A weaklink that disables the bomb if the B61 is subjected too much heat, electrical discharges, etc.
5) A weaklink that disables the bomb if someone tries to open it
6) A weaklink that resets the Intent Safety to 'safe' if the bomb loses electrical power for more than seven seconds
7) A Command Disable feature that allows an operator to disable the bomb permanently
8) A weaklink that prevents brute forcing of the Intent Safety

To understand how all this fits together, I think it's best to work backwards from the bomb:

The Exclusion Unit
The exclusion unit, or X-unit, is an isolated and sealed package that contains the primary working components of the nuclear bomb: there's a hydrogen 'secondary' that's activated by a 'primary' of uranium and plutonium that's in turn activated by conventional explosive 'lenses'. The difficult part of nuclear bomb making is making the explosive lenses detonate exactly when they're supposed to. In the B61 bomb, this careful orchestration is done by "neutron generator timing circuitry". The neutron generator timing circuitry activates automatically when given electrical power. So once you give electrical power to the X-unit, the bomb goes off. (Second-generation PAL, which I'm not entirely sure if is the B, D, or F version, would add a second safety feature: until intentionally armed, the explosive lenses point in the wrong direction. When armed, servos rotate the explosive lenses into position.)

The X-unit also contains the dial-a-yield feature that determines exactly how destructive the bomb will be.

There may or may not be "disablement loads" inside the X-unit that through some means or another will permanently disable the X-unit. Exactly how this works isn't publicly known, but may involve locking a switch between the neutron generator timing circuity and the battery in the open position, destroying the explosive lenses with more explosives, or using a small shaped charge to destroy the uranium/plutonium core so it doesn't explode properly when the lenses fire.

In any case, the X-unit detonates when fed electrical power.

The MC2969 Intent Safety Switch
To ensure that the X-unit only receives electrical power when we actually want the bomb to detonate, the MC2969 Intent Safety Switch is a mechanical switch that has three modes: by default it's in the open position, feeding it a specific code - the TUQS - will rotate it to the closed position, and feeding it an incorrect code will lock it in an open position where even the TUQS won't work. (There's another code to unlock it again, putting it in the regular open position.) Once the MC2969 is closed, it completes the circuit between the battery and the X-unit.

Hence, to cause a detonation, we need to provide the Intent Safety Switch with the TUQS and electrical power and provide the X-unit with electrical power.

The Trajectory Switch, Part 1
To ensure that the TUQS is only transmitted to the Intent Safety Switch when the B61 has been dropped out of a plane, the TUQS has to pass through three accelerometers. These work by rolamites. There are two rolamites that will lock in the closed position when the B61 is spinning at a specific rate, and one that locks in the closed position when the B61 is accelerating as if dropped from a high altitude. When the rolamites lock in the closed position, the TUQS can pass through to the Intent Safety Switch.

Hence, to cause a detonation, we need to close the Trajectory Switches, provide the Intent Safety Switch with the TUQS and electrical power, and provide the X-unit with electrical power.

The MC4137 TSSG
The TUQS will only transmit if the MC4137 TSSG receives electrical power. When the TSSG receives electrical power, it will generate the TUQS by encoding a 24-bit pulse train stored in ROM (the IUQS). This ensures that the TUQS can't be read by anyone breaking open a B61, and ensures that the B61 can't be detonated without an IUQS.

Hence, to cause a detonation, we need to provide the TSSG with electrical power and IUQS, close the Trajectory Switches, provide the Intent Safety Switch with the TUQS and electrical power, and provide the X-unit with electrical power.

The Trajectory Switch, Part 2
To ensure that the TSSG only encodes the IUQS into the TUQS when the B61 has been dropped out of a plane, power to the TSSR also passes through the rolamites mentioned above.

The ROM
To ensure that activating the trajectory switches doesn't cause the TSSG to generate the TUQS, the IUQS is not stored permanently in the B61. Instead, it is stored in a 24-bit chip of read-only memory on a temporary basis. This ROM will erase the IUQS after seven seconds of not receiving power or when subjected to too much heat. This ensures that the IUQS will only be stored in the B61 for as long as necessary. If the plane crashes and the bomb loses power, the IUQS will be erased. If an armed B61 is subject to a fire, the IUQS will be erased.

Hence, to cause a detonation, we need to provide the ROM with electrical power and an IUQS, close the trajectory switches, provide the TSSG with electrical power, provide the Intent Safety Switch with the TUQS, and provide the X-unit with electrical power.

The IUQS
When it's time to actually use a B61 bomb, the IQUS can either be manually entered into the B61, to be stored in the ROM for as long as the B61 has electrical power, or it can be entered in flight through an electronic connection from a device called an AMAC.

This isn't what a real AMAC looks like, but it's going to look a bit like this. Six wheels to write in an IUQS, and a button to send the IUQS to the B61's RAM. This can also be used to send the Command Detonate code to the B61 or the codes to unlock the Intent Safety Switch.

The MC4136 Preflight Controller: this allows the IQUS to be entered into the B61 before a plane takes off, which is useful if it doesn't have an AMAC advanced enough to transmit IUQSes mid-flight.

As yet another safety, the AMAC can't transmit the IUQS unless the MC4142 Strike Enable Plug has been screwed in: this completes a circuit between the cable that connects the B61 to the AMAC and the IUQS entry panel above.

Electrical Power
The B61 has an onboard battery. This battery is not normally charged, but instead charges up when connected to a plane's electrical system. If the B61 is disconnected from the plane's electrical system for too long, there won't be any electrical power to activate the TSSG, drive the electrical switches, or power up the X-unit.

All Together
You connect a plane's AMAC or an MC4137 Preflight Controller, and a plane's electrical system to a B61 nuclear bomb. Then you enter the IUQS into into the B61's ROM. Then, when you drop the bomb, rolamites in the Trajectory Safety complete a circuit that gives electrical power to the MC4137 TSSG circuit board. When the bomb decides it has fallen far enough that it's time to detonate, the TSSG encodes the IQUS into a TUQS. The TUQS is sent through the Trajectory Safety to the Intent Safety Switch, which activates servos that connect the B61's battery to the X-unit. Inside the X-unit, the power is used to detonate the explosive lenses that start the nuclear explosion.

Here, electrical power and the IUQS is used to show intent: when the bomb has both of these things, someone's definitely and purposefully planning to use the bomb for its intended purpose. Someone who doesn't have the IUQS can provide the B61 with power, but they cannot brute force the IUQS without disabling the bomb. The Trajectory Safety ensures that, even with the intent to use it and the IUQS, the B61 cannot be used unless it's been dropped from the air: this ensures that the bomb can only be used as an air-delivered munition. Even with an IUQS and a B61, you can't just blow up New York City willy-nilly, you're going to need a USAF/USN plane.

The Final Safety
The IUQS is stored in a safe at some Air Force or Navy base. The commander of the base is only supposed to unlock this safe when he receives an authorization code from the US President. For a long time, the USAF were afraid this would take too long and set the IUQS to 000000.

The US President tells the base command that it's time to use the nuclear weapons. The base command unlocks a safe and hands the crews or pilots the IUQS, which they use to tell the B61 that they're definitely on purpose planning to use the nuclear weapon. If someone tries to tamper with a B61 such as by cracking it open to poke around inside, or try to guess the IUQS, it'll disable itself. If you fear an enemy that could tamper with the bomb without disabling it, the Command Detonate can be used to disable the bomb on a much more permanent basis. This is supposed to ensure the safety of the nuclear bombs.

You know, unless someone steals an USAF jet and enters 000000, or extracts the X-unit and connects it to a car battery. That'd make it explode when it shouldn't...

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

For a fusion bomb yes, the timing is down to fractions of a nanosecond, for an atom bomb not so much, we did it in the 40s, that's 75 years ago. Plutionium having different allotropes is the first bit of material science I read that scared the poo poo out of me, heat it up a bit much when you're machining it, the crystaline structure changes and you can be turbo hosed if it suddenly decides to increase density.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I didn't read all that but I do like the implication that the possibility that Greece would invade Turkey and capture US nuclear weapons was part of the decision.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Smiling Jack posted:

Probably give the 75th Ranger Regiment a new home base with the 82nd airborne and 2ACR (or whoever the hell has that mission now) to follow shortly.

Last I read it was a special unit within JSOC itself.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Last I read it was a special unit within JSOC itself.

I meant more along the "seize hostile airfield and establish a airhead" not "secure the nukes". I would hope all that noise about being able to put a shitload of troops on the ground in a hurry isn't just a fantasy. Suddenly dumping an airborne regiment or two into a friendly airbase on a "training exercise" would hopefully shut the Turks up.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 22, 2019

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I feel like seal worship has kind of died off. It’s gonna be insufferable if they go in and take back like 50 nukes.

The future conservatives want.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Smiling Jack posted:

I meant more along the "seize hostile airfield and establish a airhead" not "secure the nukes". I would hope all that noise about being able to put a shitload of troops on the ground in a hurry isn't just a fantasy.

Ah yeah. And good point.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

colachute posted:

I feel like seal worship has kind of died off. It’s gonna be insufferable if they go in and take back like 50 nukes.

Us thinking they're dweebs isn't a reflection of what the rest of America thinks.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

colachute posted:

SEAL worship will die down even further if they recover 49 nukes.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Pretty much. At most you'd have a dirty bomb and even then, it's debatable how bad it'd be.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hexyflexy posted:

For a fusion bomb yes, the timing is down to fractions of a nanosecond, for an atom bomb not so much, we did it in the 40s, that's 75 years ago. Plutionium having different allotropes is the first bit of material science I read that scared the poo poo out of me, heat it up a bit much when you're machining it, the crystaline structure changes and you can be turbo hosed if it suddenly decides to increase density.

...............yes, you did it in the 40s, with one of the largest projects in human history and the intellectual might of the worlds largest superpower behind it.
If you're referring to a gun-type bomb, well,

quote:

Since it is a relatively slow method of assembly, plutonium cannot be used unless it is purely the 239 isotope. 

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

pantslesswithwolves posted:

lol

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
What did the tweet say? It's gone now

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Just finished the first episode of Watchmen and the right wing backlash against it is what I’m looking forward to as much the rest of the season. :stare:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

pantslesswithwolves posted:

man this marketing campaign for the new Modern Warfare is wild

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008

The security around those nukes is ridiculous.

Heh remember the time in Belgium the protesters walked into the airbase (with nukes) to get arrested had a hard time doing that and eventually wondered around until they found an unarmed guard who got people to deal with them.

In the press event in response to this incident they reported on how the protesters did not get into the area of the base that houses the nukes. So in response to that more protesters broke in found there way to the hard shelters and found one with a door open and took some photos of the inside of the bomb shelters.

Granted the security at the site in Turkey is hopefully in better hands and has recently gotten upgrades.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Just finished the first episode of Watchmen and the right wing backlash against it is what I’m looking forward to as much the rest of the season. :stare:

The best part has been woke white people outwardly expressing their shock at not knowing about the Tulsa Race Riots until a superhero show told them about it

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Like come on it's not even a cover up Wikipedia has had a full fledged article on it for over a decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A few times during the late 80s my dad had to investigate missile silos that Plowshares had broken into and splashed blood everywhere.