Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

Carbon dioxide posted:

How do you cheat the toll? Are there places where you can go around the booths or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBHhdd9uaAc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

unknown posted:

Cover your plate (usually with some kind of plate "protector" that is polarised and not visible from above).

In a lot of places that just means you're ramming your car into a bar that wasn't raised yet, even when electronic collection is normally used.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

I'm ontario - our toll roads are camera based, so there's no gates, just pictures of plates as you drive on/off the highway at full speed.

Best I've seen so far are motorcycles with a plate on a hinge and a string/wire to lift it.

Lots of people with the plastic covers (which are technically illegal - but license renewal offices sell them..), and cops don't do anything about it unless you piss them off.

For autos, plates issued a few years ago are peeling, so you can't even see the numbers any more. No cover needed!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mine GO BOOM posted:

If in the US people started to get tickets for speeding based upon toll data, I'd bet you'd get a ton of toll cheaters overnight. The revenue lost from toll cheaters would probably be more than revenue gained from speeding tickets issued.
A few of the articles said that even the agencies that send warnings out about speeding through flying toll booths very rarely actually ban someone from the electronic tolling system because they worry it might reduce usage. If they were actually enforcing speed laws across the entire stretch they'd really lose a bunch.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

unknown posted:

For autos, plates issued a few years ago are peeling, so you can't even see the numbers any more. No cover needed!

In Minnesota we're required to get new plates every five years to combat that.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Your maximum speed can be higher than the limit while your average is lower, but your maximum speed can't be lower than the limit if the average is higher. There's definitely a risk of not tagging some speeders, but everyone ticketed was definitely speeding.

One of my favorite math classes was during Calc I in college where we got the professor talking on a tangent about a speeding ticket he got out of.

He turned it into a supplementary lesson about this exact topic. There's always at least one point where both your instantaneous speed and your average speed are the same for any given trip. If your average speed is above the limit, so was your instantaneous speed at some point. The less your speed changes, the closer your highest instantaneous speed is to your average speed.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

About people using a driveway as a road ... https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/d2ubd8/private_driveway_being_used_as_public_roadway_and/

quote:

Purchased 30 acres of land and built a house several years back in central Florida, had a driveway installed that cuts across the center of my property allowing me to exit on either of two main roads.

I now have traffic using my driveway as a shortcut between the two roads up to and including 18 wheelers and other large vehicles since using my driveway cuts off nearly half an hour of travel time between two cities.

I installed pillars and gates on both ends of the driveway and marked it private property but the gates were torn down and the pillars knocked over.

I have contacted the county about it and they sent out a guy from code compliance who looked around for a few minutes and left.

i have now received a notice about not keeping the roadway to state standards and that the county will be out to perform maintenance bringing the roadway up to standards, ie. widening it and repaving which i will be personally responsible for paying for.

Ive told them if they want it to be a public road then fine buy me out and ill move elsewhere but they refuse to do so.

As of right now i have removed half the driveway past my house and put up signs and markers stating dead end road and now the county is threatening to have me arrested for destruction of public property.

before anyone asks, no, there are no easements on this property anywhere near the area the driveway goes through and no easements in any form that travel in that direction on the property, closest thing is a power company easement along the southern edge of the land.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Interesting case. The update indicates that he was able to resolve the issue with the county by closing down the private road, and now he's mostly focused on preventing random locals from using the shortcut they discovered. Making your own road is all fun and games until Google Maps discovers it and sends the area's freight trucks through your front yard.

quote:

Raised hell with the county commissioner for my district, showed them video and threatened to lawyer up, he pulled in the director for the road and bridge department then pulled in the director of zoning and planning.

My driveway is no longer a road and i am no longer being assessed for repairs and i am legally allowed to do what is necessary to stop traffic from crossing my property so both sides of the property have been ditched and bermed and a steel pole gate across the side i plan on keeping open. sheriffs dept has been out multiple times dealing with people trying to enter the property but they are starting to get the hint that road is closed.

we are currently in negotiations for a portion of my property to be purchased and turned into a road but not 10 feet from my house, there is a county commissioners meeting next Tuesday and it is on the docket to be brought up.

my driveway is no longer on google maps as a road, signage posted private property no trespassing, dead end road, etc etc etc. several people are angry about it as they are used to the pass-through but with the cameras i have installed i've been able to get clear images of vehicles and license plates of the worst offenders and they will be cited according to the sheriffs dept.

I have contacted amazon and UPS about their trucks crossing my property, UPS has instructed their drivers to no longer use that route, haven't heard a thing back from amazon yet but i have stopped two of their trucks so far,both of which were ticketed by the sheriffs dept and the one needing a tow to get pulled off the berm it got stuck on.

thank you all of you for the suggestions, hopefully soon this will all be over and i can get on with my life.

https://reddit.app.link/earnU7Xn4Z

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

xergm posted:

One of my favorite math classes was during Calc I in college where we got the professor talking on a tangent about a speeding ticket he got out of.

He turned it into a supplementary lesson about this exact topic. There's always at least one point where both your instantaneous speed and your average speed are the same for any given trip. If your average speed is above the limit, so was your instantaneous speed at some point. The less your speed changes, the closer your highest instantaneous speed is to your average speed.

Yeah, this is either the statement of the mean value theorem or an immediate consequence of the mean value theorem.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The mode value theorem was less well regarded by history.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Flip Mode is the greatest

NinjaPablo
Nov 20, 2003

Ewww it's all sticky...
Grimey Drawer
Any obvious reason why would the lanes for 131 cross over each other at this interchange? Seems like there was enough room to keep NB131 on the right and SB131 on the left.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

NinjaPablo posted:

Any obvious reason why would the lanes for 131 cross over each other at this interchange? Seems like there was enough room to keep NB131 on the right and SB131 on the left.

My guess would be a solution to provide ramps for all the turning movements in a constrained right of way, shifted to the east. All the spaghetti stuff happens in the middle or to the right - a normal full movement interchange would be spreading out towards all the quadrants

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

NinjaPablo posted:

Similar in concept to a grade-separated diverging diamond, except the ramps are aligned to merge from both left and right instead of only right.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Pretty suspicious about that private road story having that many updates in such a short time.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Anyone have any experience with roadside mirrors? I've seen some tiny ones that are placed a really long way away from driveways/side roads, and doubt that you can process the distorted image in time for it to be relevant, if you can see the road at all.
On the other hand, they're not bad in a parking building on the blind ramps, because it's so much closer to your eye.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Lobsterpillar posted:

Anyone have any experience with roadside mirrors? I've seen some tiny ones that are placed a really long way away from driveways/side roads, and doubt that you can process the distorted image in time for it to be relevant, if you can see the road at all.
On the other hand, they're not bad in a parking building on the blind ramps, because it's so much closer to your eye.

The correct use case is to install at the mouth of an urban alley or driveway where the buildings inherently reduce your sight distance, so that you can see pedestrians while you inch out

Less good use case is rural driveway installed by the owner so he can see if there’s oncoming traffic

If the driver has to rely on a mirror to avoid cars, it’s an unsafe entrance.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

smackfu posted:

Pretty suspicious about that private road story having that many updates in such a short time.

i'm also skeptical of the story, mostly because of this line

quote:

i have now received a notice about not keeping the roadway to state standards and that the county will be out to perform maintenance bringing the roadway up to standards, ie. widening it and repaving which i will be personally responsible for paying for.

it should be immediately obvious that some guy's driveway is not up to ASTM standards and therefore not an actual roadway. i can believe google adding it as a road, i'm not really buying the "it cuts a half hour off travel times" because central florida has a shitload of roads everywhere, but the county threatening the guy with destruction of property sounds fake to me since it should be trivial to determine the driveway is on private land - smells like the author is trying to rely on an audience who accepts governmental incompetence to make the story work

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

luxury handset posted:

i'm also skeptical of the story, mostly because of this line

it should be immediately obvious that some guy's driveway is not up to ASTM standards and therefore not an actual roadway. i can believe google adding it as a road, i'm not really buying the "it cuts a half hour off travel times" because central florida has a shitload of roads everywhere, but the county threatening the guy with destruction of property sounds fake to me since it should be trivial to determine the driveway is on private land - smells like the author is trying to rely on an audience who accepts governmental incompetence to make the story work

Assuming he’s on the level, someone in government flagged it in an inventory as a developer road that had been conveyed to the local authority for ownership.

Driveways typically don’t bisect a property creating a huge shortcut, so it wouldn’t be too unreasonable for the first maintenance dudes to give him a standard brush off for complaining about traffic on “his road”

I would guess that the first few interactions had him saying road or street before he learned the magic words Private Driveway.

Still easily made up - but someone building a house in the middle of an enormous lot that takes 30 minutes to circumnavigate is just weird enough to throw a rural county DOT for a loop.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

kefkafloyd posted:

US 7 Bypass in the Berkshires. But I have a bias.

I'm assuming by this, you mean a US-7 bypass of Pittsfield? That makes sense.

quote:

Route 57 needs to be finished as well.

This, on the other hand, makes absolutely no sense to me at all. What could the AADT possibly be from Southwick to warrant the 57 extension? West Springfield Industrial Park is already served by the built portion of the highway and I can't see any reason you'd need to plow another Super 2 or a limited-access or whatever was originally envisioned through the hills out there. Is there a massive convoy of trucks that roll up on 202 from like, Granby or something?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
There will be, once that road gets built!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

This, on the other hand, makes absolutely no sense to me at all. What could the AADT possibly be from Southwick to warrant the 57 extension? West Springfield Industrial Park is already served by the built portion of the highway and I can't see any reason you'd need to plow another Super 2 or a limited-access or whatever was originally envisioned through the hills out there. Is there a massive convoy of trucks that roll up on 202 from like, Granby or something?

What we really need is a highway from Granby, CT to Mrs. Murphy's Donuts in Southwick

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
This is an odd question but what are the most used excel functions by traffic engineers / planners?

I’d love a list please. Gotta study for a job interview exam.

Vlookup?
Index and match?
Switch?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

This is an odd question but what are the most used excel functions by traffic engineers / planners?

I’d love a list please. Gotta study for a job interview exam.

Vlookup?
Index and match?
Switch?

Concatenate, as a highway engineer

I take raw outputs from other sources to turn into Microstation commands, and have to assemble lots of parentheses and commas along with the variables.

Or take raw page counts and titles for a sheet index to automatically format them into:

3-11
12-20
21-25

and automatically update if I insert a sheet in the middle, so I can just re-copy and paste

I also used concatenate to assemble a giant list of MS-DOS commands to automatically rename 400 PDFs, and run them from a .bat file

I would be pretty surprised if they expected traffic engineers to know Real Complicated Excel Functions, since you'll just be using spreadsheets that were set up once and validated. They're probably testing core excel competency like the difference between A1 and $A1 and A$1 and $A$1 and copying/working with worksheets and making graphs.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Thank you for the response!

Yeah they said it is a “beginner” excel exam. The thing is, “beginner” varies wildly based on the audience.

Like, I’ve got SUMPRODUCT, solver, index and match, etc. I consider that beginner. But to a boomer manager “beginner” might be like, moving averages and percent change.

It’s a really cool job and so I’m dedicating myself to preparation.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

what an amazing user name

good luck on the Excel, I bet you're overqualified

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

oystertoadfish posted:

what an amazing user name

good luck on the Excel, I bet you're overqualified

If you say the phrase 'pivot tables' I bet they let you skip the test

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Devor posted:

Concatenate, as a highway engineer

I take raw outputs from other sources to turn into Microstation commands, and have to assemble lots of parentheses and commas along with the variables.

Or take raw page counts and titles for a sheet index to automatically format them into:

3-11
12-20
21-25

and automatically update if I insert a sheet in the middle, so I can just re-copy and paste

I also used concatenate to assemble a giant list of MS-DOS commands to automatically rename 400 PDFs, and run them from a .bat file

Wait, are you saying there’s a way to automatically populate the sheet index (on the title sheet in microstation, I assume) using excel? Because that’s a huge pain in my rear end when it comes to putting together plan sets.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

pkells posted:

Wait, are you saying there’s a way to automatically populate the sheet index (on the title sheet in microstation, I assume) using excel? Because that’s a huge pain in my rear end when it comes to putting together plan sets.

Column A - Sheet Name
Column B - Formatted Numbering (e.g. "10-15") - this is what we're making
Column C - How many sheets in this designation (just a number, e.g. 6)
Column E - Number Start (Title Sheet is 1, otherwise formula is previous Number End + 1)
Column F - Number End (E + C - 1)

Then the only tricky part is the formula that detects if you have one sheet or many sheets (I don't want it to say 10-10 if there's one detail sheet)

Column B=IF(E3=F3,E3,CONCATENATE(TEXT(E3,0),"-",TEXT(F3,0)))

If Number Start and Number End are the same, returns Number Start. If they're different, returns "Number Start-Number End"

You could omit some columns by making the formula more complicated if you wanted to.

To get it from Excel into uStation, copy-paste the column of Sheet Names from Excel into Notepad or some other program that doesn't accept rich text to strip out the formatting, then copy paste it from Notepad into a text editor window in uStation. Repeat for your Formatted Numbering column.

There's also third party software that really does it ~automatically~ and updates it on the fly, but how often do you really want to update your sheet index. And copy/pasting is pretty fast.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/21/traffic_lights_changed/

The Register posted:

Järlström, who studied electrical engineering in Sweden, challenged the ticket, arguing the timing interval for yellow lights fails to account for scenarios like a driver entering an intersection and slowing to make a turn. A slightly longer interval, he argued, would allow drivers making turns on a yellow light to exit intersections before the light turned red. Even a small timing increase would help – the automatically generated ticket in this case was issued 0.12 seconds after the light turned red.

When Järlström brought the issue to the Oregon State Board of Examiners for Engineering and Land Surveying, the state board opened an investigation in 2015 and fined him $500 the following year for practicing engineering without a professional license.

In summary, they're changing the formula for yellow light timing because this guy did his homework. The formula was not permitting for drivers slowing down before a turning manouver.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/21/traffic_lights_changed/

In summary, they're changing the formula for yellow light timing because this guy did his homework. The formula was not permitting for drivers slowing down before a turning manouver.

I don't do signal timing design, but I work with the guys who do, and I foresee this getting revised or ignored if it does result in minimum yellows going from 3.2s to 4.5s

His problem was not a safety problem, just a regulatory one - an actual cop probably wouldn't give a turning vehicle a ticket if they were slowing to turn and tagged the tail end of the yellow, this was an automated system. And drivers slowing to make turns occupying the intersection during the all-red interval are not a safety problem.

And at the same time, giving 1.5s more yellow time to every phase means adding 2-4s of dead time to each cycle, assuming no change in driver stopping behavior

But it probably WILL have an effect on driver behavior, because they're going to know that yellows stay yellow for longer than they need to, and cause more people to run a fresh yellow (or what they think is a fresh yellow), which will make things less safe.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I hear this is the thread for it so I demand an explanation for this nightmare.

https://goo.gl/maps/kgwc9SmTcqMvmj5K6

I know everyone is stoned, but cmon

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

That doesn't make any sense to me? Do they not measure infractions at the stop line in other countries? That is crazy. What if you get blocked by another vehicle from leaving the intersection although it was green when you entered it, you get a red light ticket?

Here the red light cameras are aimed at the stop bar, and thats what you're not allowed to cross when it's red. Now it makes more sense why people in other countries are complaining about red light cameras so much...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Entropist posted:

That doesn't make any sense to me? Do they not measure infractions at the stop line in other countries? That is crazy. What if you get blocked by another vehicle from leaving the intersection although it was green when you entered it, you get a red light ticket?

Here the red light cameras are aimed at the stop bar, and thats what you're not allowed to cross when it's red. Now it makes more sense why people in other countries are complaining about red light cameras so much...

I always learned to pull into the intersection in that situation so you could go after it turned red, but I wouldn't trust technology to make that judgement call on if I was legit.

One of the reasons I am against traffic cameras of all varieties, they can't judge the situation. it would be better if every infraction was reviewed by a human, but that kinda eliminates the attraction of them.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/WRALSarah/status/1186346096068567042

Wasn't this The Bridge That Cannot Be Raised Because Reasons?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
it could be raised but it'd be very expensive due to railroad grades, the road couldn't be lowered

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It's going from 11'8" to 12'4" if I'm reading it right, so plenty of normal height trucks are still gonna get impaled on it probably

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Why didn't they ever put a large bar at bridge height right at the lights?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Carbon dioxide posted:

https://twitter.com/WRALSarah/status/1186346096068567042

Wasn't this The Bridge That Cannot Be Raised Because Reasons?

The reasons are railroads not giving an absolute gently caress about anyone else. I’m honestly curious who’s paying for this and how long it took the railroad to finally approve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The reasons are railroads not giving an absolute gently caress about anyone else. I’m honestly curious who’s paying for this and how long it took the railroad to finally approve.

Apparently it's all being paid for by the North Carolina Railroad Company.

https://www.wral.com/durham-s-can-opener-bridge-being-raised/18712577/