Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rickety Cricket: “Did you just see a real bright light?”

*gets pants stolen*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Terminator 1 is fundamentally about a waitress being chased by a psychotic junkie. Terminator 2 is about a kid and his quasi-imaginary friend being chased by a maniac cop. The films have never been about literal robot combat.

To be really specific: the T-1000 is introduced in a scene where this random cop has an ecstatic vision in which a nude man ‘falls from the sky’ and stabs him through the belly. At that point, the cop is overcome by this evil spirit, this demonic impulse. In literal terms, he’s killed and replaced. In metaphorical terms, he’s possessed.

The presentation is important, because the audience is of course (initially) led to believe that this is the new Kyle Reese - which brings the implication that this guy arrived here to serve Sarah. A lot had been written about how the T-1000 serves as a contrast to Arnold: lithe and androgynous, literally fluid, switching genders with ease. The T-1000 seemingly aligns with Sarah’s odd rants about how masculinity is the gravest threat to the Mother Earth. John dismisses those rants and sticks with a father figure that is literally his own invention.

So there’s a very elaborate psychodrama going on here, and none of it makes sense as the work of a literal hyperintelligent tactical AI.

I always wondered why Skynet wouldn't just wrap a nuclear bomb in some tissue and send it back.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Apparently, some promo event where they said they were going to show T2 and ten minutes of Dark Fate had them show all of Dark Fate. As far as spoilers and that leak go: there are some minor changes, but it's all true.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://twitter.com/GermainLussier/status/1186099838040981504

suck on that, idiots

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"Easily the best T3 yet" lol.

If it's really T:TFA, then I guess Sarah is Han and dies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
"The best parts of poo poo you've seen before", awesome.

Caros
May 14, 2008

porfiria posted:

I always wondered why Skynet wouldn't just wrap a nuclear bomb in some tissue and send it back.

Risk of loving itself up is the most likely reason.

You send a nuke to LA to kill Sarah Conner and you probably do get her. But at the same time you also get hundreds of thousands of other humans, any one of which might be instrumental in your creation.

It also runs more tangential risks. LA gets nuked in the 80's, maybe Reagan snaps back and destroys the Soviet Union leading to judgment day without the robots. Maybe the horror of it goes full watchmen and provokes world peace and a drawdown of the nuclear stockpiles you need for judgement day. Hell, maybe it just makes humans think twice before putting an AI in charge of the nuclear stockpile.

The point of killing conner is that he isn't important to the world before judgement day. You kill him and ideally, Skynet thinks it wins. Sending a bomb back in time makes things far too chaotic to predict.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

I don't think there's a worse genre of tweet than "suckup reviewer at digital outlet shares blandly positive first impressions."

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Prince Myshkin posted:

I don't think there's a worse genre of tweet than "suckup reviewer at digital outlet shares blandly positive first impressions."

Five bags of popcorn and two bags of soda.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
I have to disagree with you there, Greg. It's f.f..four bags of popcorn and thr.....THREE sodas.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

https://twitter.com/benmekler/status/1186102094400409600

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That doesn't sound like an upgrade

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I can't tell if they're intentionally sarcastic or accidentally sarcastic, but I love their tone either way.

Let's give it a try.

Terminator: BPB is literally the Hobbs & Shaw of the
Terminator universe. An explosive mix of blue and
purple plasma beams that put the future... in the
present! Ed Furlong teaches the T-800 all new
amazing swear words and catch phrases. #TBPB

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 21, 2019

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I had no intention to see this movie, but that recent trailer showing the terminator kill like a dozen members of the CBP makes me mildly hopeful that there will be some entertaining scenes.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Way too many early reviews are mentioning "The Force Awakens". It seems like they were all given a list of talking points.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

The Human Crouton posted:

Way too many early reviews are mentioning "The Force Awakens". It seems like they were all given a list of talking points.

Nah, it's probably even simpler: the audience got a promo with the producers/directors/stars and were told "we're attempting to make the Force Awakens of Terminator" and when the 'critics' liked the movie they stuck with that.

I found the Collider article that collects the reactions (https://ew.com/movies/2019/10/20/terminator-dark-fate-reactions/) and it sounds like this is going to be a perfectly acceptable movie that fails to capture the lightning in a bottle of T1 and T2, which isn't surprising.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 21, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The Terminator has human bones

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's real, all of it. Except half the franchise. And half the movies in the half that's real, because the timeline changed.

And the part about Skynet.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Godzilla vs King Ghidorah (1991) is the best non-Cameron Terminator movie. Change my mind.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Apparently, some promo event where they said they were going to show T2 and ten minutes of Dark Fate had them show all of Dark Fate. As far as spoilers and that leak go: there are some minor changes, but it's all true.

Aaaahahahahahaha fantastic

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I didn’t like Force Awakens, it was bad. So that to me is not a positive. Let’s see about the rest.

These reviews sound horrible. I hated the Star Trek reboot except the casting. I don’t want a rehash bullshit of what came before. I want to tread and explore new ground

Well Abrams is responsible for Trek and Force Awakens poo poo so maybe Tim Miller can do better

Gatts fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 21, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tim Miller is the shittiest director of our time. Deadpool is an incredibly ugly film with one good action sequence that he didn't even come up with. Hopefully this leads to him never directing a film again.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Rhyno posted:

Tim Miller is the shittiest director of our time. Deadpool is an incredibly ugly film with one good action sequence that he didn't even come up with. Hopefully this leads to him never directing a film again.

Hoping that a movie is bad so a guy you don't like doesn't get work anymore is reddit-level poo poo. If I accepted your framing, I would much rather he redeem himself and add an interesting sci-fi film into the lexicon than flop out and poo poo the bed again.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
my new Terminator concept: promises to tie the entire series together satisfactorily then proceeds to rehash plot points, contradict each installment, contradict itself, treat characters a little too interchangeably, occasionally forget what film franchise it's part of, discard any sense of continuity, churn through half-baked ideas faster than any best-hits-of-sci-fi series, and concludes with a Terminator time traveling back into Skynet's core chamber an hour before Judgement Day, approaching the main console and typing in: "my new Terminator concept:"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I think humanity is ready for a terminator movie where skynet is right

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

At this point they might as well explore the post-post apocalyptic world where humanity just defeated Skynet/Legion/AI and has begun to rebuild. The Terminator angle would be about the remaining sentient Terminators like Carl who are trying to blend in just to live out their lives. Basically Terminator meets Bladerunner but in a completely wrecked planet and slightly different set of philosophical existential issues. John Connor effectively becomes the narrative's antagonist as the humans are hard-liners to destroy the last of the machines who just want to hold on to their sentient existence.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

so salvation 2? Actually I haven’t seen salvation, should
I bother!?

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

On the other side of the coin I can never get enough of these types of parodies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

well why not posted:

I bother!?

It's a movie that's incredibly bad but in fascinating and gobsmacking ways so I'd strongly recommend it. Also definitely worth it for Terry Crews though, incredible work in there.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

well why not posted:

I bother!?

Nah. It is very bland.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hoping that a movie is bad so a guy you don't like doesn't get work anymore is reddit-level poo poo. If I accepted your framing, I would much rather he redeem himself and add an interesting sci-fi film into the lexicon than flop out and poo poo the bed again.

Most people wish Michael Bay and Zack Snyder would stop making movies.

But I liked Deadpool.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

tylersayten posted:

Most people wish Michael Bay and Zack Snyder would stop making movies.

Most people absolutely do not, you insane person. Most people have no opinion on them at all. Get offline.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

The United States posted:

I think humanity is ready for a terminator movie where skynet is right

Was Skynet ever not?

Neo Rasa posted:

Also definitely worth it for Terry Crews though, incredible work in there.

Cruel.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Most people absolutely do not, you insane person. Most people have no opinion on them at all. Get offline.

I can’t tell if you’re being serious here.

But in his defense, I don’t see how Tim Miller can be stereotypically lumped in with bad filmmakers like those two yet. I guess Dark Fate will set the trajectory?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

tylersayten posted:

I can’t tell if you’re being serious here.

LMAO then your brain has truly been hosed by the internet.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LMAO then your brain has truly been hosed by the internet.

The internet thinks Michael Bay is a good filmmaker now? Guess I need to go internet some more.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

tylersayten posted:

The internet thinks Michael Bay is a good filmmaker now? Guess I need to go internet some more.

Normal people usually don't know who directs most films, or they don't care.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The Human Crouton posted:

Normal people usually don't know who directs most films, or they don't care.

While I think this is true, of the few "famous" directors that people know about, I actually believe Michael Bay to be among that select few. Verizon even made him their spokesmen for a campaign some years ago based on his reputation for explosions.

A quick google search actually just taught me that he did the original "Got Milk?" commercial with the who shot Alexander Hamilton radio contest, which I think is among the best ads of all time and has given me a bit more respect for him.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Bay is a decent director, he's just climbed up his own rear end like most directors do when they don't have to worry about money or success any more.

https://twitter.com/joeylinn_/status/1186674786811834369?s=19

I actually laughed at this, interesting advertising choice but the execution worked better than you might think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Bay also did Pain & Gain which was great.