Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Yeah I remember growing up as a kid and when the other kids got into fights, the teacher would let them tucker out before giving the victorious kid the genocided kid's house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

When he gets stuck on an analogy he likes he repeats it 672 times, I swear

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

When he gets stuck on an analogy he likes he repeats it 672 times, I swear

He probably heard all the criticism of that analogy, so like a stubborn child, he’s going to keep repeating it over and over.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

DaveWoo posted:

He probably heard all the criticism of that analogy, so like a stubborn child, he’s going to keep repeating it over and over.

It reminds me of a piece of basic jazz advice I read a long while back, “If something doesn’t sound musical keep repeating it until it does.”

Edit: Note, I believe the spirit of the advice is to keep practicing an idea until you figure out how to make it sound good, not to just keep beating people over the head with it.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I really really hate how Trump talks about everything as a deal. "Make a deal." Jesus.

Yes, I would like a side of fries with that, thanks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Canada had their elections tonight and the news networks up there seem to be showing that Justin Trudeau stays in office.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Good(?) News from the North: Andrew Scheer is not going to be Prime Minister of Canada. So you're all gonna have to put up with at least a few more months of Canada having a Sexy PM compared to your overgrown orange toddler.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

It reminds me of a piece of basic jazz advice I read a long while back, “If something doesn’t sound musical keep repeating it until it does.”

Edit: Note, I believe the spirit of the advice is to keep practicing an idea until you figure out how to make it sound good, not to just keep beating people over the head with it.

No the spirit of the advice is a dig at jazz, and it’s a pretty hilarious analogy, thank you.

“Do it once, it’s a mistake. Do it twice, it’s jazz”

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Bucky Fullminster posted:

No the spirit of the advice is a dig at jazz, and it’s a pretty hilarious analogy, thank you.

“Do it once, it’s a mistake. Do it twice, it’s jazz”

It’s also an improv adage...keep repeating a mistake over and over again and It’ll eventually be funny.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1186416640327606274

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
It’s also a part of making music that repetition helps the ear establish context and lends importance to something. If you make a mistake twice it starts establishing a new context. If it just occurs once it can feel much more “wrong”

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Otteration fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 22, 2019

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

PhazonLink posted:

galaxy bean Donnie thinks paper boys and milk men are still things.

We definitely still have paper delivery where I live, but the average resident age in my town is like 50+

Is that not a thing everywhere?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It’s real cool how a conspiracy theory about a shadow government controlled by (((those people))) has become a standard GOP talking point by now

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It’s real cool how a conspiracy theory about a shadow government controlled by (((those people))) has become a standard GOP talking point by now

Rand Paul isn’t exactly standard.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

FlamingLiberal posted:

Canada had their elections tonight and the news networks up there seem to be showing that Justin Trudeau stays in office.

Yes, but his party did not get a majority it appears, so he will have to try to form a coalition with one of the other minority parties.

Not the worst result though. But there was a real nationalist / xenophobic wave in Quebec, probably because they didn’t want to vote for a party with a Sikh leader.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

nine-gear crow posted:

Good(?) News from the North: Andrew Scheer is not going to be Prime Minister of Canada. So you're all gonna have to put up with at least a few more months of Canada having a Sexy PM compared to your overgrown orange toddler.
Is that sexy when he's dressed up in his Arabian Nights outfit or?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
A Liberal-NDP coalition is probably better than a Liberal majority anyway.

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1186467910593712128

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Ripoff posted:

Yeah I remember growing up as a kid and when the other kids got into fights, the teacher would let them tucker out before giving the victorious kid the genocided kid's house.

Of course, these fight always started when the teacher took one kid aside and gave them permission to shoot the other kid.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Abner Assington posted:

Is that sexy when he's dressed up in his Arabian Nights outfit or?

Double blackface cancels itself out and brownface isn’t mainstream enough I guess

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/1186325549402263552

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

PhazonLink posted:

galaxy bean Donnie thinks paper boys and milk men are still things.

Well somebody delivers my copy of the Post every Sunday. :colbert:

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
https://twitter.com/HelenResists/status/1186454298688921600?s=19

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

irpoweroutlet posted:

We definitely still have paper delivery where I live, but the average resident age in my town is like 50+

Is that not a thing everywhere?

My retired aunt is out of town visiting relatives so I've been picking the paper off her porch this week.

It's a formerly daily paper that now only publishes a couple of days a week. The deliverers' pay must suck which is extra ironic because I know the paper decided against allowing minors to deliver almost twenty years ago so any adult doing it is definitely as a desperation side hustle at this point.

...I probably should be delivering papers.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Rand Paul isn’t exactly standard.

and a constant reminder that libertarians don't actually care about the things they purport to care about.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

kinda find it hard to give a poo poo about any sex scandal at all in this era

Ghost Captain
Apr 22, 2008

I did it wit my lil hatchet

One of the reasons the GOP gets poked at for sex scandals is that they're constantly finger wagging at people (or removing their legal protections) over their private lives. It's not so much that liberals are immune, it's that everyone hates a hypocrite.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

nine-gear crow posted:

So did they wrap that whole shebang up in 6 weeks? I know the US system is long comparatively, but other countries get this poo poo over with in like 11 Scaramuccis. Why do we prolong the pain so long? I mean, I know the answer is money. But still, I want to be dramatic and plaintive about how dumb the 2 year national nightmare is. :negative:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Ershalim posted:

So did they wrap that whole shebang up in 6 weeks? I know the US system is long comparatively, but other countries get this poo poo over with in like 11 Scaramuccis. Why do we prolong the pain so long? I mean, I know the answer is money. But still, I want to be dramatic and plaintive about how dumb the 2 year national nightmare is. :negative:

The best and worst thing about American democracy is that the next election is never more than two years away.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Ershalim posted:

I mean part of it is size. Canada is a small country if you factor out the sparsely populated regions. You can hit all the campaign stops in a much shorter timeframe compared to the US.

The other part is the US is really weird. Elections are like tribalism. I couldn’t imagine anyone in my family not voting Republican other than me.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ershalim posted:

the US tends to rip the bandaid off of elections once every two years, as opposed to Parliamentary systems ripping off chunks of flesh every few months and getting numb to the pain

Slowpoke! posted:

I mean part of it is size. Canada is a small country if you factor out the sparsely populated regions. You can hit all the campaign stops in a much shorter timeframe compared to the US.

The other part is the US is really weird. Elections are like tribalism. I couldn’t imagine anyone in my family not voting Republican other than me.

canada is a parliamentary system

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

Unless there's some claim of assault or using her office/funds inappropriately who gives a gently caress.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
Anything happen yet? Or still lots of talk?

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Slowpoke! posted:

The other part is the US is really weird. Elections are like tribalism.

This is not unique to the US, in fact you could say it's a core component of democracy.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1186456927175348224

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1186462184328564737

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

That seems less sinister and more 'idiot from Queens'

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i mean. i am sorta surprised he hasnt just called for obama to be arrested/killed/impeached on twitter of late. like yeah nothing would happen(hopefully) but gently caress.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
My sources say the death penalty, for guns getting lost, being considered for @BarackObama. I am pro-life and take no pleasure in reporting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean. i am sorta surprised he hasnt just called for obama to be arrested/killed/impeached on twitter of late. like yeah nothing would happen(hopefully) but gently caress.

He means "killed" in the sense of like how a business gets killed by a scandal. He's usually more indirect when calling for people to be murdered, like, "second amendment people can handle that" or the like. I don't know why DD thinks it's a slip; Trump talks like that all the time.