Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

sit on my Facebook posted:

Emrakul and copter are near-guaranteed bans at the first opportunity imo

copter? copter is just a really efficient card. if that's the level that's bannable this format is gonna have to ban half the cards available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Cards banned in their respective standards since RTR:
Emerakul, the Promised End
Smuggler's Copter
Reflector Mage
Felidar Guardian (instead of Saheeli Rai)
Aetherworks Marvel
Attune with Aether
Rogue Refiner
Ramunap Ruins (instead of Hazoret the Fervent)
Rampaging Ferocidon (instead of Chandra, Torch of Defiance)
Field of the Dead

Energy might not be as overpowering in a larger card pool, but Marvel would definitely be on my watch list. The Saheeli combo is probably fine. Unless mono-red is extremely overwhelming Ruin is probably fine too, but we'll see.

So yeah, Emerakul, Copter, and Marvel is my short list.

A big flaming stink posted:

copter? copter is just a really efficient card. if that's the level that's bannable this format is gonna have to ban half the cards available.
A two mana evasive 3/3 that draws a card every turn is really strong and fits in most decks. It really sucked in Standard at the time.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 22, 2019

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
lmbo forever that a rando red 3-drop was banned instead of Hazoret

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Marvel getting Ugin is enough for it to get the axe. When Marvel got banned, Emrakul had already gotten banned, so its hits were Ulamog and, what, World Breaker? Chandra? Some other medium sized planeswalker? In this new format there's a whole hell of a lot of immediate game ending threats, and there'll always be more printed, so it's probably gotta go.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

whydirt posted:

lmbo forever that a rando red 3-drop was banned instead of Hazoret

An uncommon land was too.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The delve cards will surely be on a shortlist as well. DRS? Probably not since there's no fetches. I bet there'll be some sort of rock deck with tireless tracker and thoughtseize.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Marvel getting Ugin is enough for it to get the axe. When Marvel got banned, Emrakul had already gotten banned, so its hits were Ulamog and, what, World Breaker? Chandra? Some other medium sized planeswalker? In this new format there's a whole hell of a lot of immediate game ending threats, and there'll always be more printed, so it's probably gotta go.

think there's a G/x devotion + golos list?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Also tcgplayer or whomever should out whichever addresses bought up all the poo poo last week. gently caress their privacy policy you're part of a conspiracy.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Reflector Mage was banned for being really annoying in the Flash deck, not as a dodge for some other mythic like Ramunap Ruins, right?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Cactrot posted:

An uncommon land was too.
I could see the need to ban Ruins, honestly, but Ferocidon ban was loving bullshit.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
How many cards does Saheeli go infinite with in this pool? It can't just be the one.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Waiting for banned format. You can play any two banned cards in your deck no more no less.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'm not sold on standard format. Cards rotate out within a year (?), lots of money to spend, requires friends have comparable amount/value of cards, your deck can be greatly inferior to someone else's as a consequence. What's the appeal?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I'm not sold on standard format. Cards rotate out within a year (?), lots of money to spend, requires friends have comparable amount/value of cards, your deck can be greatly inferior to someone else's as a consequence. What's the appeal?

It's really two years other than Core sets.

The appeal for me is it's not as competitive, the rotation means it's a bit more balanced without a bunch of bans, and while probably not cheaper in the long run, its costs are spread out.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Standard is typically slower and less powerful, which makes it easier to brew and do your own thing, you fun thing in modern would get crushed by the raw dog efficiency in that format.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The whole point of formats is that you can go to a card shop and play with strangers, and know what you're getting in for. Rotation makes sure those games against strangers stay interesting, as the format shifts over time.

If you're just playing with friends at the kitchen table then you don't really need to worry about it.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It's a competitive format. It constrains the game such that you can play with strangers when both of you are trying hard to win, and both of you have something of an idea of what power level things are at going in.

Compared to other competitive constructed formats, it stays fresh, because cards rotate after ~1.5 years on average (it's every year, but it's the cards from the year before that rotate out). It's also full of more interactive games and metagames than Modern, while not costing as much as Legacy so there's actually people playing it.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 22, 2019

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

It's really two years other than Core sets.

Can you explain this? I don't understand core sets or sets in general and their rotation.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Can you explain this? I don't understand core sets or sets in general and their rotation.

Core sets rotate every fall on the release of a new non-core set. Non-core sets rotate at the second fall set release after their printing

For example, GoR released last fall. Eldraine released this fall. Next fall everything between Guilds and Eldraine will rotate out. The fall after that, Eldraine and whatever comes before next fall rotates

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Perry Mason Jar posted:

https://whatsinstandard.com/

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Feels like people are preemptively banning cards in their mind that were oppressive in their standard formats, but will likely not be a problem in what is closer to Modern 1.5 than Standard 2.0. A lot of the more abusable cards are before RTR anyway.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

I think it's more the ubiquity problem than the power-level problem. Every deck that plays creatures immediately slams 4 Copters and that sucks. It's better for any format if cross-archetype staples are minimized, especially at the outset

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Hellsau posted:

Teferi stops the combo tho

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

think there's a G/x devotion + golos list?

only if like 30 cards get banned, there's a whole lot of consistent turn 3/4 kill combo decks.

born on a buy you posted:

Teferi stops the combo tho

You know what Teferi is really bad against? Whirler Virtuoso.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 22, 2019

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I think it's more the ubiquity problem than the power-level problem. Every deck that plays creatures immediately slams 4 Copters and that sucks. It's better for any format if cross-archetype staples are minimized, especially at the outset

I'm not at all convinced about this. Copter was banned before Fatal Push and Abrade were printed, at a time when there weren't any good answers to it at all. I think it will see a good amount of play but I don't think it will be ubiquitous.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

I will say that I appreciate WotC basically doing an open beta test on the format instead of pre-banning cards.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Perfect. Cheers all, standard seems much better now.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'd like to think that Invoke Prejudice is a $300+ card (higher than Mana Drain?!?) because so many have been destroyed due to having literal hooded klansmen in the art, but I'm fearful the real answer isn't as heartwarming.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 22, 2019

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

whydirt posted:

I'd like to think that Invoke Prejudice is a $300+ card (higher than Mana Drain?!?) because so many have been destroyed due to having literal hooded klansmen in the art, but I'm fearful the real answer isn't as heartwarming.

I mean, it has the Hitler number in Gatherer and WotC pinky swear's that it was random, but keep on keeping the faith.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Toshimo posted:

I mean, it has the Hitler number in Gatherer and WotC pinky swear's that it was random, but keep on keeping the faith.
Nominally, for this to be a wacky non-shadowy coincidence, would mean it was the one thousand four-hundred and eighty-eighth unique Magic: The Gathering card to exist? Juxtapose comes immediately after.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think it is a coincidence myself

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Tibalt posted:

Reflector Mage was banned for being really annoying in the Flash deck, not as a dodge for some other mythic like Ramunap Ruins, right?

Kind of, yeah. When they banned Copter and Emrakul, for their various reasons involving both, the Blue/White Flash deck that would have been left around would have likely been the de facto best deck without anything coming close, especially with other major players, like RW/Mardu Vehicles and GB Delirium taking big hits at the same time. The threat of that was enough for them to make a targeted ban, coupled with Reflector Mage having generally been an unfun card to play against(Collected Company was legal with it after all!), and things such as memory issues, etc lead to Mage being the perfect target.

EDIT: Also worth noting, had Reflector Mage not been banned, it would have been legal, if only for a little bit, with Saheeli and Felidar Guardian in Standard(it had already been legal with Saheeli, but she was weak enough on her own that it doesn't matter much).

FrozenPhoenix71 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 22, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

I'm about as concerned about Copter as I am about the explore package. this format is going to be much stronger than standard and Copter can be hit with a Kolaghan's Command or Fatal Push or a billion other things.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

They don't because they're busy slamming 4 CoCo instead.

Which also sucks but for different reasons.

(Bant Coco really good guys)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

TheKingofSprings posted:

They don't because they're busy slamming 4 CoCo instead.

Which also sucks but for different reasons.

(Bant Coco really good guys)

Is Bant Coco really better than Aetherworks Marvel or Copy Cat?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Tubgoat posted:

Nominally, for this to be a wacky non-shadowy coincidence, would mean it was the one thousand four-hundred and eighty-eighth unique Magic: The Gathering card to exist? Juxtapose comes immediately after.

Not unique, they're numbered alphabetically by set. This one really is a wacky coincidence (or someone had some amazing foresight back in the day).

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AnEdgelord posted:

Is Bant Coco really better than Aetherworks Marvel or Copy Cat?

Depends.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2399761#paper

I like this. And I don't need to buy cards to play it. Give me more of this.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

ItBreathes posted:

Not unique, they're numbered alphabetically by set. This one really is a wacky coincidence (or someone had some amazing foresight back in the day).

Yeah, that's a considerably better phrasing of what I wanted to convey, as though every card printed is part of one unmanageably large set.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

Depends.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2399761#paper

I like this. And I don't need to buy cards to play it. Give me more of this.

This deck seems like it'd get dominated by various Company value piles and redundant combo decks, and also Autumn's Veil.

are they going to need to ban autumn's veil lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hellsau posted:

This deck seems like it'd get dominated by various Company value piles and redundant combo decks, and also Autumn's Veil.

are they going to need to ban autumn's veil lol

If you kill my dreams before I get to play a game I will get angry.

I just don't want to have to actually re-buy cards again, let me play GBx in every format.

edit: Also Nissa or Vivian seems better than Amonket Lili anyway.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 22, 2019