Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

*Extremely dramatic luke trailer voice* rich evans was right... about everything

I just remembered that he avowedly not just liked but loved solo. Rich evans too should be put to the sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Please just let this movie be an entertaining two hours and change with no nasty gently caress poo poo so Star Wars can be put to rest and I can be free from this nightmare.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Preston Waters posted:

It will never end. Star Wars will continue on way after we are all dead and gone. The Mouse must feed.

I'm glad they keep loving it up because it's such a useful tool for explaining why we need copyright reform

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

When Disney released their next few years of film release dates this past summer, they had a 2021 release date for a Star Wars film. Reportedly that is going to be the first film in a new trilogy but we'll see.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm still not convinced that this will be a successful Star Wars movie. The Last Jedi made 50% less than Force Awakens, and then Solo made 50% less than that. People are burned out on Star Wars.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
so kylo ren is going to end up being redeemed because the emperor says "no, kylo, i killed your grandfather" and he will shout "no" and throw him into a pit

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ungulateman posted:

so kylo ren is going to end up being redeemed because the emperor says "no, kylo, i killed your grandfather" and he will shout "no" and throw him into a pit

Rey and Kylo kill the emperor together, and then they get married and continue the Skywalker line.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So in those leaks it said that Palpatine willed Rey into existence somehow, the same way that it was done with Anakin

I think that's worse than Luke being her dad or whatever

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think they're flirting with turning it into a transformers-esque 'brain off look at explosions and toys you recognize' deal with the 10 trillion ships shooting 10 trillion ships poo poo. That can still make money I'm sure but it's not necessarily something with the same broad appeal as star wars up to now. I'll give it to rian, he wrote them into such a corner that they felt this was the only recourse

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

I said come in! posted:

I'm still not convinced that this will be a successful Star Wars movie. The Last Jedi made 50% less than Force Awakens, and then Solo made 50% less than that. People are burned out on Star Wars.

Eh? where are you getting your numbers from

TLJ cleared 65% of TFA worldwide

edit: that percent actually goes up to 66% for domestic

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
What the gently caress is with the horses? There are horses in Star Wars?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

rawillkill posted:

Eh? where are you getting your numbers from

TLJ cleared 65% of TFA worldwide

edit: that percent actually goes up to 66% for domestic

Fair enough! I remember it being more in the 50% range, but that still doesn't seem like a good number. Like there should be an expected increase in profits with a sequel for such a massive movie.

Chuka Umana posted:

What the gently caress is with the horses? There are horses in Star Wars?

Man, the horses didn't even register with me as a problem, I mean the entire trailer was a boring mess, but this is what a lot of the internet seems to be focusing on.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The space horses ran out of canto blight, secured passage off world, and singlehoofedly procured a fleet of 10 trillion ships for the rebellion. Bet you feel pretty stupid making fun of rose for saving them

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

I said come in! posted:

Fair enough! I remember it being more in the 50% range, but that still doesn't seem like a good number. Like there should be an expected increase in profits with a sequel for such a massive movie.

Man, the horses didn't even register with me as a problem, I mean the entire trailer was a boring mess, but this is what a lot of the internet seems to be focusing on.

Because it's not. For something as big as Star Wars and with the amount of build-up and years of people waiting, those are panic button numbers. There can be any number of reasons for those numbers, but no, they aren't very good.

As an aside, is it ok to link to the leaks?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Its Coke posted:

what were the leaks

Rey in Palpatine's granddaughter/manifestation. The leaks say that she had parents but they got sniped by an assassin who subsequently lost track of her or let her go.
Rey and Kylo are "force dyads" who can get stronger if they combine their powers, Palpatine wants them to do that and then steal their powers.
The Mcguffin is some Sith lore poo poo that requires both the Resistance and the First Order to retrace Vader's steps from in between the movies/comic book stuff, C-3P0 gets his mind wiped in order to do the Sith translations (this is the red eye thing).
Kylo and Rey fight, then make up, then Kylo turns to the light after Han's ghost talks to him and then sacrifices himself to save Rey/give her his power/redeem himself.
Rey fights Palpatine, wins with the help of Luke & Leia's ghosts and then takes up the name "Skywalker" to honor them.

Oh and they use the horse things to board a Starship and take it down. Not kidding.

Some of this is obviously subject to change.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I said come in! posted:

Like there should be an expected increase in profits with a sequel for such a massive movie.

While true, the standard that TFA set in terms of hype generated was unparalleled. Not even Endgame could top it. It's likely no other franchise is going to break TFA's total US domestic box office gross for a long, long time. There cultural awareness of "the return of Star Wars to cinema" surrounding the movie was pretty insane.

[edit]

doomrider7 posted:

Because it's not. For something as big as Star Wars and with the amount of build-up and years of people waiting, those are panic button numbers. There can be any number of reasons for those numbers, but no, they aren't very good.

TLJ clearing 1.3 billion is not a panic button number.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 22, 2019

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The space horses being secret space horse royalty and paying back the rebellion with 10 trillion ships is so so old EU I wouldn't be surprised if it was literally a plot point from glove of darth vader or a kevin j anderson book

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

I said come in! posted:

Like there should be an expected increase in profits with a sequel for such a massive movie.

Before release people were predicting about 1.5-1.6B for TLJ, which is more than it got but still almost half a billion under TFA.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

teagone posted:

While true, the standard that TFA set in terms of hype generated was unparalleled. Not even Endgame could top it. It's likely no other franchise is going to break TFA's total US domestic box office gross for a long, long time. There cultural awareness of "the return of Star Wars to cinema" surrounding the movie was pretty insane.

[edit]

Given that people expected/projected far above that into the 750 million dollars domestically and 1.5 to 1.7 billion dollars worldwide, yeah the numbers were not good. It was still successful, but not close to what everyone expected or wanted.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
In the brief glimpse, I just assumed the horses were tantans. Cause they have to bring back everything from the OT.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Papercut posted:

In the brief glimpse, I just assumed the horses were tantans. Cause they have to bring back everything from the OT.

They go back to Hoth to find the Wampa, and he says to Rey, "haven't I suffered enough from these star wars?"

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The space horse royalty theory would also explain broom kid's bizarre reaction to the whole fiasco- he took care of them, so he knew the truth about the sporses and that they were more important to the future of the galaxy than he was, and genuinely got some hope from knowing they were free. Bravo JJ for condescending to try to save rian's insane plot points

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

RLM are dumb shits running out of steam - who gives a gently caress what they say.

This looks alright thought - visually way more interesting than TLJ.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
We are approximately 1 movie away from Star Peace.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The last Death Star is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace...

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
It kind of owns how little respect JJ and Rian have for each other

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The back half of the trailer music was this guy, not Williams.

https://twitter.com/getblake/status/1186473797739614208

Dude is talented. He did this a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POxH_gHnBEA

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just watched the trailer and boy, it seems like it could be a satisfying trilogy conclusion if the previous 2 films had set it up at all.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I said come in! posted:

They go back to Hoth to find the Wampa, and he says to Rey, "haven't I suffered enough from these star wars?"

Nah, Rey will give it back it's arm so Luke will have accomplished nothing at all during his entire life.

Barudak posted:

Just watched the trailer and boy, it seems like it could be a satisfying trilogy conclusion if the previous 2 films had set it up at all.

I think the trailer looks great, there seems to be a lot of spectacle but I have 0 expectations for the story because of the lack of setup.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope at one point both Kylo taps into Vader's powers and transform into a scorpion and a wampa like in the game version of ESB.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
what the gently caress was that trailer

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Barudak posted:

Well you can't just make Vader everyone's dad.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Argas posted:

You don't know, he could've been a midichlorian donor.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Argas posted:

Unless... unless we construct some kind of Dad Star...

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Argas posted:

No, but he can be everyone's daddy.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

teagone posted:

[edit]

Obviously the domestic number was going to drop, but the overseas numbers? The overseas market reliably turns out in similar or greater numbers for blockbuster movies. Every single MCU direct sequel has earned more overseas then previous entries. It's easy money and Star Wars has not been able to capture it. To drop $400 million overseas, that is a panic number.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ironically enough the ST would probably have turned out better if they kept the chinese audience in mind from day 1 because then it wouldn't have been so wrapped up in the previous films that it's as vacuous as it is as a standalone series

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

kilus aof posted:

Obviously the domestic number was going to drop, but the overseas numbers? The overseas market reliably turns out in similar or greater numbers for blockbuster movies. Every single MCU direct sequel has earned more overseas then previous entries. It's easy money and Star Wars has not been able to capture it. To drop $400 million overseas, that is a panic number.

Counter-point: a sizable chunk of overseas box office for big blockbusters typically comes from China, and well, gently caress China.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

kilus aof posted:

Obviously the domestic number was going to drop, but the overseas numbers?

People expected the overseas figures would drop significantly too, just not by quite as much as they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Martman posted:

Unless... unless we construct some kind of Dad Star...

Vader: The power to gently caress a planet, however...