Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So does Scheer stay on or do the knives come out tomorrow?

*Scheer practicing his smile in a mirror, tears streaming down his cheeks*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Kale posted:

I still love that the NDP and the Bloc Quebecois get roughly equal seats despite the Bloc getting far less of the popular vote because Quebec. I know when you look at it really doesn't matter cause it's all decided by riding and FTPT but still. The NDP just deserves better than this I feel, they're a lot more popular than their current representation makes apparent.

FPTP is the best for regional, single-issue parties.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Madkal posted:

As a newish Canadian should I be worried that a federal party that has won a few seats is talking a lot about sovereignty?

The Bloc has shifting from "No one understands us and we want to leave Canada" to "No one understands us and we now have the power to force concessions within the framework of Federation"

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Although the far right influence on the conservatives is worrying in and of itself, it is nice to see the 'People's' Party get crushed to the point that they aren't even enough of a presence to say they caused any sort of a meaningful vote split.

The risk I was worried about was always them getting enough of a vote share that the Conservatives swallow them up later. Then you end up with the more far right guys sitting at the Conservative party table. They got smacked down enough that, it anything, it'll be a lesson against pushing too hard that direction. I don't think it'll make the Conservatives reconsider their rightward push, but it may slow it down a little more to see that there aren't more easy votes [i[just[/i] from pandering in that direction.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Coxswain Balls posted:

Yeaaaah, get hosed RFO

As someone who's new to Manitoba, what's the story with this guy? Does he suck?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kale posted:

I still love that the NDP and the Bloc Quebecois get roughly equal seats despite the Bloc getting far less of the popular vote because Quebec. I know when you look at it really doesn't matter cause it's all decided by riding and FTPT but still. The NDP just deserves better than this I feel, they're a lot more popular than their current representation makes apparent.

Yeah it's honestly kind of insane that the NDP have almost double the popular vote of the BQ but fewer seats.

Although if the current popular vote trend continues, it looks like the CPC might end up with slightly more votes than the Libs and probably the worst thing about this night is how smugly justified Trudeau will feel about abandoning electoral reform if that ends up being the case.

T.C. posted:

Although the far right influence on the conservatives is worrying in and of itself, it is nice to see the 'People's' Party get crushed to the point that they aren't even enough of a presence to say they caused any sort of a meaningful vote split.

The risk I was worried about was always them getting enough of a vote share that the Conservatives swallow them up later. Then you end up with the more far right guys sitting at the Conservative party table. They got smacked down enough that, it anything, it'll be a lesson against pushing too hard that direction. I don't think it'll make the Conservatives reconsider their rightward push, but it may slow it down a little more to see that there aren't more easy votes [i[just[/i] from pandering in that direction.

Yeah the worst case scenario was never that they were going to overtake the CPC or get anywhere near forming government, but that they would prove to be enough of a thorn in the CPC's side that they could pull a Reform and merge back into the party and then we'd get Maxime Bernier's Conservative Party next election.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/stphnmaher/status/1186498162816700416

sure why not

Québec sovereigntists have this weird emotional attachment to Scotland and Catalonia that just doesn't make sense but :shrug:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
How did toronto's ridings flip from all ndp to mostly liberal from the 2018 provincial to the 2019 federal election?

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

He gone. Dude is an American citizen and conveniently left that out, flubbed badly in the debates and never really had a lot of confidence from his party. If he's pushed out, who takes over? Bernier is done now; it sort of leaves a vacuum.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

mila kunis posted:

How did toronto's ridings flip from all ndp to mostly liberal from the 2018 provincial to the 2019 federal election?

A lot of ridings don't necessarily hold the same between provincial and federal elections. Waterloo is consistently NDP provincially but a liberal/PC battleground federally for instance.

I'm not actually sure why this is though

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

he ded

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

former glory posted:

He gone. Dude is an American citizen and conveniently left that out, flubbed badly in the debates and never really had a lot of confidence from his party. If he's pushed out, who takes over? Bernier is done now; it sort of leaves a vacuum.

Peter McKay is getting ready to ride to the rescue on a shining white Sea King.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

DetoxP posted:

As someone who's new to Manitoba, what's the story with this guy? Does he suck?

yes.

Also Gazan is pretty left wing and probably the closest the NDP has to an AOC an excited a lot of people.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

The Bloc has shifting from "No one understands us and we want to leave Canada" to "No one understands us and we now have the power to force concessions within the framework of Federation"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pinterest Mom posted:

https://twitter.com/stphnmaher/status/1186498162816700416

sure why not

Québec sovereigntists have this weird emotional attachment to Scotland and Catalonia that just doesn't make sense but :shrug:

They're the only countries with accents as incomprehensible as their own.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Kenney is the next cpc leader. He's so loving hungry for it and scheer is toast

Kale
May 14, 2010

former glory posted:

With Raitt gone what shitlord of a leader do they get next to try to bait out the racist and paranoid vote?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Though, the question is, in PR, how many people would vote NDP/Liberal/Conservative or Liberal/NDP/Conservative rather than the Con/Lib/NDP or Lib/Con/NDP divide.

Either way, the Liberals would probably still take the biggest chunk, if only for the blind hatred Cons have for the NDP and the slightly less blind (if still equal) hatred we have for the Cons (man, I keep instinctively typing PC), but it would at least be far more representative for the NDP overall.

When the CBC pundits are literally out-loud just acknowledging that the conservative campaign planning requires the NDP to get a certain share of the vote, it means acknowledging just how broken the system is (not that we all don't know that already).

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I mean, he's the same type of effete urbane elite fancy lad as Trudeau but apparently hypocrisy counts for nothing now, so he's coming for scheer, count on it

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Kale posted:

With Raitt gone what shitlord of a leader do they get next to try to bait out the racist and paranoid vote?

Peter MacKay :suicide:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Though, the question is, in PR, how many people would vote NDP/Liberal/Conservative or Liberal/NDP/Conservative rather than the Con/Lib/NDP or Lib/Con/NDP divide.

Either way, the Liberals would probably still take the biggest chunk, if only for the blind hatred Cons have for the NDP and the slightly less blind (if still equal) hatred we have for the Cons (man, I keep instinctively typing PC), but it would at least be far more representative for the NDP overall.

When the CBC pundits are literally out-loud just acknowledging that the conservative campaign planning requires the NDP to get a certain share of the vote, it means acknowledging just how broken the system is (not that we all don't know that already).

Yeah and this is always the frustration with results like this. Trudeau is going to see them and go "I was right to abandon electoral reform - we would have lost to the conservatives under PR", when like, the way people vote is going to be different if they know their vote will be counted differently. People don't vote strategically in non-FPTP systems because there's no reason to, but you don't get to see the vote counts of "the way people would have voted in an alternate universe"

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Kale posted:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah and this is always the frustration with results like this. Trudeau is going to see them and go "I was right to abandon electoral reform - we would have lost to the conservatives under PR", when like, the way people vote is going to be different if they know their vote will be counted differently. People don't vote strategically in non-FPTP systems because there's no reason to, but you don't get to see the vote counts of "the way people would have voted in an alternate universe"

Under PR they would have had near identical number of seats (with the libs slightly less) but guess who the NDP and Greens are gonna form government with. It's not gonna be the cons

Basically with PR the conservatives are shut out of government pretty much forever

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Oh god no. This is a fate far too terrible to contemplate.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I can't believe canada is literially ruined for another 4 years

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Kenney is the next cpc leader. He's so loving hungry for it and scheer is toast

I don't know that he'd abandon his power in Alberta so quickly and with the next election so far out. However I'm sure that was always his endgame so who knows.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

former glory posted:

Kenney would likely have been in a good place if he hadn't gone to Alberta. I actually wonder if Scheer sticks around and maybe has a shot at passing through the leadership review he'll face, because there's really no obvious person to form a base and challenge him. There might just be a mob free for all, though, and knives from everywhere. It's not clear that he really has a power base either though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Blaikie crushed Toet this time. Thank gently caress.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Mad Max might be out but what's his pension? 250k/ year since he was a cabinet minister? Do you think he really gives a poo poo?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Seconds after I hit submit reply on my post, the CBC focused on how the Greens got a million votes across the country and 1/10th of the seats the BQ got, despite the BQ only getting 1.2 million votes.

So...yeah...fuckin' Trudeau, one more reason I feel so guilty in feeling like I'm rewarding his bad behavior by voting strategically for a liberal candidate who didn't win (even if she came closer than anyone else in Calgary).

Ah...well. Not like it feels any worse than any other election in my lifetime as a lifelong Atypical Albertan.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
They've called it for Jody Wilson-Raybould

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

half cocaine posted:

Mad Max might be out but what's his pension? 250k/ year since he was a cabinet minister? Do you think he really gives a poo poo?

I'm pretty sure he was in it for the racism way more than he was in it for the money.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Ah...well. Not like it feels any worse than any other election in my lifetime as a lifelong Atypical Albertan.

:yeah:

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm pretty sure he was in it for his weird grudge against milk producers way more than he was in it for the money.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Seconds after I hit submit reply on my post, the CBC focused on how the Greens got a million votes across the country and 1/10th of the seats the BQ got, despite the BQ only getting 1.2 million votes.

So...yeah...fuckin' Trudeau, one more reason I feel so guilty in feeling like I'm rewarding his bad behavior by voting strategically for a liberal candidate who didn't win (even if she came closer than anyone else in Calgary).

vote ndp next time lmao

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm pretty sure he was in it for the racism way more than he was in it for the money.

He was in it because he was mad he lost to a milk drinking adult dip poo poo and an anime convention.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

T.C. posted:

They've called it for Jody Wilson-Raybould

My wife is relieved (I was rooting for another NDP seat but I am relieved too)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Jagmeet stop stealing my heart

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Madkal posted:

My wife is relieved (I was rooting for another NDP seat but I am relieved too)

The NDP candidate was neat and I hope she stays involved, but I lost hope on that a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Alctel posted:

Under PR they would have had near identical number of seats (with the libs slightly less) but guess who the NDP and Greens are gonna form government with. It's not gonna be the cons

Basically with PR the conservatives are shut out of government pretty much forever

The Libs aren't going to implement PR because the ever present threat of a CPC government is useful to them.