Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Gooncar season round 2 in ~90 minutes, remember to :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zaphod42 posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, let me try that out. I also just uninstalled Revive and Oculus because I never use them, and there's a solid shot they were interfering somehow.

E: Recreated settings file, forced SPS on and oculus off and openVR on, and performance is 90fps when solo but drops into 60s and even 50s when there's a traffic jam in a race replay. Not good.

Then after going through all the settings one by one, I found it. The game keeps turning dynamic cubemaps to 1. I change it to 0, and instantly I get perfect 90fps even if I start cranking up all the other settings.

But when I close the game and open it back up, it changes dynamic cubemaps back to 1 and my performance tanks again! Going to have to make the settings file read-only or something :v:

I found a recent .ini from the iracing page and it's working great for me and my 1080ti and ryzen 2700.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KtdcpBcrH3uqa7h54L7oMwQA2PZBq3xQ

On a side note, my rear view mirror and the sky are kinda funky, like some stuff is appearing closer and farther than it should. Anyone know if there is a setting to fix this ? Like, I'll notice clouds and they seem closer than the track, yet still appearing behind the track and trees etc, if that makes sense. Alsmost like looking at one of those magic eye posters from the 90's.

Also I joined the gooncar league. I'll be able to play sometimes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah I got it all sorted finally. Playing on fairly high settings in VR and still getting good frames in multi. Feels good, and I'm getting back into iRacing again now that I can play it comfortably and reliably.

Did gooncar again last Sunday but realized I haven't driven a skip in awhile, and it showed. Not that I was ever fast. Okayama is always good times.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

jonathan posted:

I found a recent .ini from the iracing page and it's working great for me and my 1080ti and ryzen 2700.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KtdcpBcrH3uqa7h54L7oMwQA2PZBq3xQ

On a side note, my rear view mirror and the sky are kinda funky, like some stuff is appearing closer and farther than it should. Anyone know if there is a setting to fix this ? Like, I'll notice clouds and they seem closer than the track, yet still appearing behind the track and trees etc, if that makes sense. Alsmost like looking at one of those magic eye posters from the 90's.

Also I joined the gooncar league. I'll be able to play sometimes.

What headset? You may need to use AlignmentFix and if WMR, you may need to use NoInterEyeRotation (a WMR setting, not iRacing). I spent months using revive for iRacing because of this problem, but for me NoInterEyeRotation solved it (along with one of the AlignmentFix settings)

E: my basic understanding is that iRacing is one of a few games that doesn't pay any attention to the headset alignment parameters. If your headset doesn't have perfect alignment, there are parameters that can be used to render correctly still. iRacing has somehow messed this up to the point where there's a setting with 4 values (1 off, 3 different types) to try to fix it. The claim is that this is related to SPS on Nvidia cards, but I still had problems even with SPS off. For me, I had to go to the WMR settings and enable NoInterEyeRotation which I assume tells the API that the game does not perform inter-eye rotation, but tbh, I have not found any documentation for what this actually does or means. This set of issues seems to be specific to the OpenVR implementation, as using Revive and the Oculus implementation is fine except for the performance hit.

Basically, I have little faith in the graphics engine devs, between this whole thing and the incredibly poor performance on certain maps in certain sections.

E: vvvv here is a reference on the iRacing forums: https://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3657475.page#11660018

carticket fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 23, 2019

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks. I think I have that SPS enabled. I'll try turning that off first. If that doesn't work I'll investigate the other two. I'm using a wmr Lenovo headset currently. But I'm considering going with either the HP reverb pro or doing the triple ultrawides. I can hit well over 300fps in non VR mode on assetto Corsa on a single 1080p ultrawide so with triples I still might be ok.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there a gooncar today ?

Edit: there is a gooncar today. I can't figure out how to register for the event.

EditEdit: Cancel that, work called

jonathan fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 27, 2019

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

jonathan posted:

Is there a gooncar today ?

Edit: there is a gooncar today. I can't figure out how to register for the event.

EditEdit: Cancel that, work called

for future reference you register once the session goes live, the blue list icon turns to a green wheel icon

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NtotheTC posted:

for future reference you register once the session goes live, the blue list icon turns to a green wheel icon

Ok cool. Next Sunday maybe.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok new question: what's the best way to record a vr race so that I can post it on YouTube ? I tried the Xbox overlay record feature but frame rates tanked to 55ish while on tsukuba in a Miata race.

System specs are
Ryzen 2700
16gb ram
Iracing and windows installed on a 970evo sad
GTX 1080 ti

I was under the impression if I had unused threads or cores on the cpu that recording video wouldn't have any effect on gameplay.

Maybe it's that Xbox overlay thing ? Should I use steam.overlah instead, or maybe the iracing built in recorder ? Or does OBS allow a format that I can later compress ?

If iracing recorded head tracking from VR, I could just save the replay and render it out to video afterward.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The simplest way I found was to just stream directly to YT through OBS then publish the stream broadcast as a video afterwards.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do you have oculus? Run oculus mirror (https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/dg-compositor-mirror/?locale=en_US). There are a ton of switches, so read that doc to see what to set based on how you want your video to look.

Then set OBS to use oculusmirror.exe as a source. Either record that to disk or stream it to YT/Twitch as appropriate.

If you’re on Vive/Index/WMR then :iiam:, I guess just set the iracing output window to source.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
+1 on the OBS Youtube setup. I run triples rather than VR, but I've been using OBS and Youtube for a month or two now with no real issues or significant performance impact.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks! Yeah I'll mess with OBS. Because we need more D Class Miata Races at Tsukuba

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Indy fixed at Daytona is such a meme race I love it

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Indy fixed at Daytona is such a meme race I love it

Is that official?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

tater_salad posted:

Is that official?

YUP

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Might have to give it a spin

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wow I always thought that was week 13 kind of shenanigans. Guess I know what I'm racing today on my day off.

Edit: So it's been awhile since I sat down and raced and I didn't realize that windows will now show notifications on your Head mounted display... FUUUUCK nothing says fun like going full send down the front stretch and having the latest office depot deals pop up TAKING UP THE loving WINDSHIELD.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 31, 2019

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I think they run Talladega or Daytona every season in fixed

e: did I mention it's a night race?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is a stupid race... So much Carnage.

I also hosed my green flag stop but also ended up with only 1 front wheel

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
It's the only Indy oval race i've managed to get more than 4x in, i crashed out on the second to last lap (because someone in front of me thought 3 wide on the apron for the lead in turn 3 sounded GREAT), with 13x. Even wheel to wheel was 4x for some reason.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
that always happens there: while I admit I haven't done it for a while generally from my experience Indycars at Daytona/Dega were basically a sit on the white line and hope for wrecks that didn't involve you and luck with pit stops race; it took coordinated effort to pass on the outside and with 2 to go that's incredibly unlikely in iracing. What some people do, either through frustration or because it works is try to go onto the apron off of turn 2 and hope they get a run down the back straight to get clear into 3 so they can come back up to take the inside line. It either ends in three ways: the person passed passed hears "car low" on the entrance of turn 3 and gives space to allow the pass (what generally happens early in the race with an added moan about it on the radio in most cases since its an awful move); the car on the apron backs off and gets back in line when they can (very rare since the sort of person making that move isn't one to be conservative) or a wreck when the car doesn't give space. I think its protestable - running the apron on most tracks is technically legal with the assumption being that no one would ever try since its stupid but I think advancing position on the apron at those tracks in particular is illegal.

Its also a place where tyres aren't a factor really (especially at night) so unless things have changed the strategy is always to pit for tyres and fuel the first yellow after you can make it to the end of the race without saving fuel and then not stop again - perhaps a stop before that if you're towards the back anyway to extend the window and try to get track position that way.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Causing a wreck coming off the apron (usually when a car still on the actual racing surface doesn't give the apron car any room to come back on) is considered an unsafe reentry and you should protest it whenever you see one.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
For the next 3 weeks, Gooncar is being replaced with goonrushing the final 3 weeks of the official GT1 series in the 2145GMT timeslot. It doesn't split so we can all race together, and means we can maybe race something meaningful even if only handful of people show up.

Regular Gooncar resumes after Thanksgiving.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
In case any of you aren't on discord https://irbg.net

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am back to playing iRacing again after a like 4 year hiatus. Are the scheduled Sunday goon races still going on? I applied to the Goon league and will join the Discord.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

I said come in! posted:

I am back to playing iRacing again after a like 4 year hiatus. Are the scheduled Sunday goon races still going on? I applied to the Goon league and will join the Discord.

Yarp. Scroll up a few posts.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Am I at fault for this? I had been reeling the guy in for a lap or two and finally got a run on him and outbraked him into the bus stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lc1qOiixtQ

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Other driver is at fault, he ran into you way before the apex, and that dive wasn't so late that he couldn't have done anything about it.

With that said, your angle and speed going in there were such that if he didn't hit you there, you probably would have slammed him not long after. Neither one of you were leaving each other any usable room.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

Neither one of you were leaving each other any usable room.

simracing.txt

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Other driver is at fault, he ran into you way before the apex, and that dive wasn't so late that he couldn't have done anything about it.

With that said, your angle and speed going in there were such that if he didn't hit you there, you probably would have slammed him not long after. Neither one of you were leaving each other any usable room.

Yeah that's just what I wonder. I have done this move several times and the outside driver backed off. The angle of attack almost invites this.

When I run practice, I run the bus stop this way to make sure I can handle it.

I'm not saying I could have handled this bus stop as is - we'll never know - but I was confident I could make it stick.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's not that I don't think you would have made the bus stop solo. You weren't going to make it side by side.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd say both were at fault,

Him for not holding a defensive line. He should have compromised his line going in slightly to discourage you from thinking it was an opening. He shouldn't be blocking, but there is a bit of position dominance that he can set.

You for knowing its a sim game and that he likely isn't fully aware that you're going to dive in. These are Pro level cars and pro level racing environments with sim racing situational awareness.

So it's both of your faults and neither of your faults because That's Racing(tm)

At the end of the day you both likely required a pit and were down a lap by the end of the race.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

jonathan posted:

I'd say both were at fault,

Him for not holding a defensive line. He should have compromised his line going in slightly to discourage you from thinking it was an opening. He shouldn't be blocking, but there is a bit of position dominance that he can set.

You for knowing its a sim game and that he likely isn't fully aware that you're going to dive in. These are Pro level cars and pro level racing environments with sim racing situational awareness.

So it's both of your faults and neither of your faults because That's Racing(tm)

At the end of the day you both likely required a pit and were down a lap by the end of the race.

I'm fully fine with a racing incident. They were a solid driverr.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah I'd say racing incident. Probably would have been better to get a little closer and make a move on the next lap or a little later on in that lap, but I wouldn't put the blame wholly on either party there.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
:siren: GOONCAR RETURNS :siren:

We a Mazda league now* so free car and 6/8 tracks are free content :sun:

*for 2 months

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vando posted:

:siren: GOONCAR RETURNS :siren:

We a Mazda league now* so free car and 6/8 tracks are free content :sun:

*for 2 months

:hellyeah:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I really need to make a quick wheel stand/chair retainer.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

anyone try out AI with the porsche?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wait, AI is finally here?