Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

FBS posted:

What do I need to know about dealing with a pinlock insert?

I've never dealt with this sort of thing before but my HJC RPHA 70 came with one and I'd like to get it sorted before re-taking the MSF course this weekend.

I just installed my first pinlock lens last night. Instructions were clear and it was easy to follow them. Took about 2 minutes. The guy in the shop said it was "fiddly, like a phone screen protector" but it just snapped right in with nearly zero effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Only annoyance I find with my pinlock is that when I'm tucked on the hwy or at speed my line of sight naturally lines up with the top of my pinlock which forces me either to look over it or under it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Next time you're helmet shopping, look for one that can mount a pinlock Evo. It's a much bigger insert that runs closer to the edges of the visor.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
So for 2 piece leather suits, like for example Fieldsheer Supersport/Rider Pants, or like A* Missile or whatever, can they generally be mixed and matched? Or are the zippers all weird proprietary poo poo, and if you get A* you have to stay A*?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Zippers are generally not a match from brand to brand. You can get new ones sewn in though. Not really a hard thing to do. Just about any tailoring/clothes alteration shop can handle it.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Angryboot posted:

Zippers are generally not a match from brand to brand. You can get new ones sewn in though. Not really a hard thing to do. Just about any tailoring/clothes alteration shop can handle it.

Is there a way to get half a zipper? Most pants and jackets I’ve bought come with both halves so you can take it to a tailor like you said. But the Dainese jacket I bought this spring didn’t, which is annoying. Seems like an obvious ploy to lock you into buying more of their expensive gear. But if there was zipper matching technology...

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

ought ten posted:

Is there a way to get half a zipper? Most pants and jackets I’ve bought come with both halves so you can take it to a tailor like you said. But the Dainese jacket I bought this spring didn’t, which is annoying. Seems like an obvious ploy to lock you into buying more of their expensive gear. But if there was zipper matching technology...

Well if you're getting stuff altered anyway might as well take the half that's on the jacket out.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Good point

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nah I haven't seen any half-zippers from vendors. They don't cost much though and a lot of times the replacements are better than the garbage Dainese uses on a lot of their stuff.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Not sure if this is really the thread for it, but I can't figure a better place to put so:

I've been riding for about 2 years, 10k miles on my bike.

I'm starting to think I need to do more classes/trackdays/training. Any recommendations for track day orgs or good intermediate classes in the mid-atlantic area? I'm in Baltimore, bike is my only transportation, so ideally I'd want something within a couple of hours' riding.

Presumably everyone's closing down for the winter, but I've gotta save up some money for it anyway, so I'm aiming to go for it sometime in spring.

I'm looking at N2 and Xcitement right now, casual googling suggests that there isn't a huge difference between them, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Mirconium posted:

Not sure if this is really the thread for it, but I can't figure a better place to put so:

I've been riding for about 2 years, 10k miles on my bike.

I'm starting to think I need to do more classes/trackdays/training. Any recommendations for track day orgs or good intermediate classes in the mid-atlantic area? I'm in Baltimore, bike is my only transportation, so ideally I'd want something within a couple of hours' riding.

Presumably everyone's closing down for the winter, but I've gotta save up some money for it anyway, so I'm aiming to go for it sometime in spring.

I'm looking at N2 and Xcitement right now, casual googling suggests that there isn't a huge difference between them, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

I enjoyed cornerspin - it’s in NC but you can ride down or you can fly to Charlotte and rent a car for relatively cheap.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Will Shoei send me whatever I need to fix this thing coming unstuck from the back spoiler on my RF1200?

Alternatively how should I fix it?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MetaJew posted:

Will Shoei send me whatever I need to fix this thing coming unstuck from the back spoiler on my RF1200?

Alternatively how should I fix it?

Check that the shell hasn't been damaged when it came off, then just stick it back on with VHB tape.

Shoei might be willing to repair/replace if it's still under warranty though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"glue"

mewse
May 2, 2006

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Check that the shell hasn't been damaged when it came off, then just stick it back on with VHB tape.

Shoei might be willing to repair/replace if it's still under warranty though.

I've never dropped it. I've hardly worn it since I've been remodeling my house. Its been stored in doors with no extreme temps. I guess I can try to remove the old tape and use some fresh automotive tape like you suggest

I wish I could find the roll that I know I have.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

On that subject, what's the best thing to do with old used helmets? I actually have two HJC, one a large in near new condition I bought and rode for a few weeks when I first started before realizing it was wayy too big, then a Medium I wore for a couple years that has some dings and scratches but was never dropped or crashed.

I know the used helmet market doesn't really exist as it's a really bad idea. They've both just been in my closet, I could probably use the one that fits as a backup, but I definitely don't need the large.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

give em to kids as astronaut helmets

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Ohhh good idea. I've got a niece who is still too little but in a year or so she'd probably get a kick out of that.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

give em to kids as astronaut helmets

:hellyeah:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I've only got two so far but I want to put em on a wall like tacky animal head trophies

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Play conkers with them.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

What kind of insoles do you guys like for motorcycle boots?

I broke in my SMX-6's today and they were fantastic on the bike and generally very comfortable they really need more cushion under my feet for standing and walking. I've never actually bought insoles before so idk what to look for.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

FBS posted:

I broke in my SMX-6's today and they were fantastic on the bike and generally very comfortable they really need more cushion under my feet for standing and walking. I've never actually bought insoles before so idk what to look for.

I use some gel Dr Scholl’s.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

FBS posted:

I have a pair of these in basically every pair of boots I own.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I have green superfeet insoles in my ski boots that involves standing for several hours a day. They seem pretty good. If they weren't on the pricier side I might buy them for all my shoes.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Super feet tend to be the standard insert for hockey, skiing etc, typically the green ones but it depends on your feet.

Also, orthotic insoles are usually covered under most health insurance programs ... Especially with FSA/HSA accounts.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

RightClickSaveAs posted:

On that subject, what's the best thing to do with old used helmets? I actually have two HJC, one a large in near new condition I bought and rode for a few weeks when I first started before realizing it was wayy too big, then a Medium I wore for a couple years that has some dings and scratches but was never dropped or crashed.

I know the used helmet market doesn't really exist as it's a really bad idea. They've both just been in my closet, I could probably use the one that fits as a backup, but I definitely don't need the large.

I enjoy shooting them with firearms.

They'll protect you from buckshot at about 40'!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elviscat posted:

This is genuinely fascinating. Is it true that a mere .22 will simply ping right off owing to a lack of ballistic manliness?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nah, .22 has pretty good penetrating power, even 9mm will go right through from as far away as I can hit it with a pistol, .45 knocks a decent hole, and 7.62 fired from a long arm will blast the back half of the helmet clean off.

That was a crappy old AFX though, I have a mid range HJC, and good Shoei that have aged out of usefulness, and I just lawn-darted my dirtbike, loving up my knee, and probably destroying my G-max dirt bike helmet in the process since I hit my head pretty good. I also found some good shooting pits near me while I was out trail riding on that trip, so it's time to go blasting again.

If anyone wants me to perform any other destructive helmet tests I'm open to suggestions.

It's my civic duty and all, rendering them unusable.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Do we have our own Fort9?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

This is genuinely fascinating. Is it true that a mere .22 will simply ping right off owing to a lack of ballistic manliness?

I think people get confused because the former BSI standard for eye PPE, including visors (which got integrated into the CE standard and hence into the standard for just about every visor on the planet), was that it could stop a .22 air rifle round at 600 feet per second. Obviously a .22 air rifle round and a .22 rifle round are very different beasts.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

MetaJew posted:

Do we have our own Fort9?

Oh man, I guess I have something to do this weekend. I have a lovely Fly helmet that I bought when I first passed the MSF, and a Shoei RF-1200 that I can put some bullets to.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

I just lawn-darted my dirtbike, loving up my knee, and probably destroying my G-max dirt bike helmet in the process since I hit my head pretty good.

Go on...

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think people get confused because the former BSI standard for eye PPE, including visors (which got integrated into the CE standard and hence into the standard for just about every visor on the planet), was that it could stop a .22 air rifle round at 600 feet per second. Obviously a .22 air rifle round and a .22 rifle round are very different beasts.
Woah, I never critically thought about this but I have absolutely heard the "it'll stop a .22!" thing. Thanks for the clarification.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Elviscat posted:

Shooting them with a shotgun is fun. They hold up surprisingly well to birdshot, buckshot and slugs not so much.
.22 will skim off if you dont hit the shell square on too.

I want to redo this video when i'm retiring my current helmet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncyl_uJp-SU

echomadman fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 29, 2019

mewse
May 2, 2006

echomadman posted:

Shooting them with a shotgun is fun. They hold up surprisingly well to birdshot, buckshot and slugs not so much.
.22 will skim off if you dont hit the shell square on too.

I want to redo this video when i'm retiring my current helmet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncyl_uJp-SU

:five:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Guns look like so much fun :sigh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is Arlen Ness any kind of reputable brand? I saw someone wearing a jacket today and it looked good enough to break my misguided quest to only ever own Dainese gear. FC-moto also has really good prices on ‘em.

E: guns ARE fun. Too bad about all the .. ehh

E2: actually, I haven’t heard of like 95% of the brands fc-moto sells. I guess we just don’t typically see them in North America?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
There is a ton of local motorcycle gear brands that you only see in like one country and maybe the neighbors. The quality of the gear is also hard to get a grasp on as you might only find reviews in Slovenian. An example is nordic brands like Jofama, Halvarsson, Sinisalo and Lindstrands. They are rarely seen outside of scandinavia.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 30, 2019