Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I'm doing a Pure Black (world and character) melee run in Demons Souls and it is hard as hell. I would say this is harder then my SL1 run in some ways (No Soul Ray, for one)

Right now I'm getting stopped by Flamelurker who has regained his beastly essence and tears thru my 30 VIT and Fluted Set in 2 hits.

I tried to get the Crescent Falchion from 4-1 to gain a slight edge but Black Phantom Satsuki is even deadlier. One mistake and you're pwned. Plus he is carrying plenty of Full Moon grass that he won't hesitate to use. If you sprint past him, the skeleton squad stop you before you've finished climbing the stairs.

Also, I've been invaded a few times on the private server which was unexpected and quite cool.

I wanted to clear an Archstone to get to 1-3 as quick as possible to buy the Knight Sword and used all the greystone I've farmed in my 2-2 runs to make it Crushing. And that fucker Flamelurker is standing in my way!!!

Big Bizness fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Sticky white stuff fucks Flamelurker

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

skasion posted:

Sticky white stuff fucks Flamelurker

Oh I know, but I burned the two you pick up in 2-1 and the guy who sells it I. 4-1 is behind all those skelly bois

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Dupe everything.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Bogart posted:

Dupe everything.

I am an honorable Knight and will not resort to Cowardly Methods

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Midir is dust! Finally! :haw:

Heavy Lothric Greatsword, gold pine resin and popping an ember when the second phase starts. Got near several times, but missed the stagger/riposte before.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is there a list of approximately what levels most people get to the various areas? I haven't seen many summon signs/gotten many summons in Farron, and I'm thinking I overleveled.

I've beaten the Watchers, and also gotten to the first bonfire on the Cathedral of the Deep tab, and I'm about level 50?

I was out of practice so I co-opped in the undead settlement until I got enough HP and stamina to be comfortable... But now I'm not seeing signs.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Annath posted:

Is there a list of approximately what levels most people get to the various areas? I haven't seen many summon signs/gotten many summons in Farron, and I'm thinking I overleveled.

I've beaten the Watchers, and also gotten to the first bonfire on the Cathedral of the Deep tab, and I'm about level 50?

I was out of practice so I co-opped in the undead settlement until I got enough HP and stamina to be comfortable... But now I'm not seeing signs.

Yeah you’re overleveled. Abyss Watchers should be like SL30, Cathedral SL40 or so

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

skasion posted:

Yeah you’re overleveled. Abyss Watchers should be like SL30, Cathedral SL40 or so

Or vice versa since you can do them in either order. But yeah 50 is where you'd usually be reaching near the end of the next area past the Watchers.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Well if anyone wants to hop in and help me with Cathedral, I'm down.

My Steam ID is Annath918

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Just started my first NG cycle, and decided to try the path where you fight the Dancer as the second boss. Any other fun things to do? I know about some unique items that only appear in NG.

I play offline, and not into PvP. Maybe I should pay for Playstation Plus?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

axolotl farmer posted:

Just started my first NG cycle, and decided to try the path where you fight the Dancer as the second boss. Any other fun things to do? I know about some unique items that only appear in NG.

I play offline, and not into PvP. Maybe I should pay for Playstation Plus?

Definitely worth trying. I ran into a host in the upper level non poisonous swamp using Knight class starter weapons and gear that was only available before that area - raw gem from high wall on the starting sword, fire gem as a starting gift on a dagger from the haindmaiden for ripostes. He was churning through twink invaders just using the starting gear and a solid rustic play style. I hope my fellow losing invaders enjoyed the schooling in the basics this guy was dealing out. My point is the easiest pvp style is also the most effective so it's worth at least whatever the cheapest ps plus deal is to check it out.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So years ago I had forgotten that the souls games don't cloud save and lost my char data after a reinstall, which meant I couldn't insta dive into the dlc and had to replay a lot of game. Few days ago I resumed that playthrough and apparantly I stopped just before Champ Gundyr. That was one hell of a refresher.

What level do they recommend to start Ashes on? And what are some good Dex things? Im kinda spoilt for choice. So much cool stuff and not enough money to upgrade it all. The crow weapons are neat and flashy but idk if they're worth investing into.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Or vice versa since you can do them in either order. But yeah 50 is where you'd usually be reaching near the end of the next area past the Watchers.

Annath posted:

Well if anyone wants to hop in and help me with Cathedral, I'm down.

My Steam ID is Annath918

You’re still on my list bro invite me anytime. Mandggaming

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Mindblast posted:

What level do they recommend to start Ashes on? And what are some good Dex things? Im kinda spoilt for choice. So much cool stuff and not enough money to upgrade it all. The crow weapons are neat and flashy but idk if they're worth investing into.

I just started my first run through a month or so ago so bag of salt, but I think I started dipping into Ashes around SL 80 and it was way harder than The Ringed City/base game areas have been so far, but doable.

My build's more quality than pure dex, but I've been rocking the Farron Greatsword/Crow Claws and between those two feel like I can shred every boss I've seen. Like 90% of them just cannot deal with the Farron's 2H L1 at all, and the ones that can are generally slow enough to mangle safely. Downside: absolute trash pairing for pvp against anyone who can parry, idk what to do about that without going to UGS or spells. Maybe it's just because I'm coming to this one so late, or maybe Bloodborne trained us all to love it more, but it feels like people across the board parry successfully way more often than they ever even attempted in the original.

The weapon you'll get from finishing Ashes' harder boss is also really cool and fun and hybrid dex-y.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

You can do the start of Ashes around like SL60-70 I’d say. At least you can sprint through to the church bonfire and see if you feel comfortable with it. It’s in a kind of odd place where the start is pretty tricky with large crowds of enemies, but most of the rest of the zone is less stressful, except for the end boss who is hard as nails again. This is as opposed to Ringed City which is very much postgame difficulty from start to finish.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Irony.or.Death posted:

I just started my first run through a month or so ago so bag of salt, but I think I started dipping into Ashes around SL 80 and it was way harder than The Ringed City/base game areas have been so far, but doable.

My build's more quality than pure dex, but I've been rocking the Farron Greatsword/Crow Claws and between those two feel like I can shred every boss I've seen. Like 90% of them just cannot deal with the Farron's 2H L1 at all, and the ones that can are generally slow enough to mangle safely. Downside: absolute trash pairing for pvp against anyone who can parry, idk what to do about that without going to UGS or spells. Maybe it's just because I'm coming to this one so late, or maybe Bloodborne trained us all to love it more, but it feels like people across the board parry successfully way more often than they ever even attempted in the original.

The weapon you'll get from finishing Ashes' harder boss is also really cool and fun and hybrid dex-y.

The little dagger is way easier to parry than the big sword so r1-l1 instead of opening with l1. L1-r2 is good if l1 connects because if they are spamming roll the r2 will often roll catch. Try and bait a trade with the r1 and use the l1 to catch the confusion afterwards. Be brave and go for backstabs if people try and practise their parries on you. Let the dagger attack on the l1 whiff and use the range to win on spacing. Plenty of ways to use farron gs in pvp, you just gotta play the head game, because most users are lazy and just spam l1 in ganks to put an invader into hitstun, so in a one on one the opponent is usually just looking for the parry. This is the same as the ringed knight paired UGS, once you stop pressing l1 many times in a row the mix up game makes up for the slow attack speed.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Mindblast posted:

And what are some good Dex things? Im kinda spoilt for choice.

The Irithyll rapier is fun, even if it’s more of a quality than a dex weapon.

One of very few frost weapons, has decent reach and a fast moveset. Hearing the frostbite ping during a tough fight is very satisfying. Possible to get relatively early in the game if you decide to cut Emma and fight the Dancer before you need to.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I just started out (I'm still exploring the Undead Settlement) and I've had a few titanite drops from regular enemies. Is it worth it in the early game to grind out some more of it, or am I going to find a vendor relatively soon?

Also some dude put me in a cage and I woke up in a cave and now I collect pelvises? I'm going to assume covenants just require you to equip whatever the covenant item is and then put down signs. Are there penalties for switching back and forth between covenants this time around?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

OzFactor posted:

I just started out (I'm still exploring the Undead Settlement) and I've had a few titanite drops from regular enemies. Is it worth it in the early game to grind out some more of it, or am I going to find a vendor relatively soon?

Also some dude put me in a cage and I woke up in a cave and now I collect pelvises? I'm going to assume covenants just require you to equip whatever the covenant item is and then put down signs. Are there penalties for switching back and forth between covenants this time around?

You don’t really need to grind upgrade materials in this one, just clearing areas will give you loads and loads of titanite drops throughout the game. In a couple zones you’ll be able to buy them as well, as long as you explore well and remember to bring the shrine handmaiden any ashes you find.

There’s no penalties for switching covenants. Moundmakers are like the “I hate everyone” covenant. They can either put down a sign or use an invasion orb. If they put down a sign, they can help the host kill enemies or alternatively attack the host and any white/gold phantoms he’s summoned, but they can’t assist with the boss. If they invade, they can’t attack enemies, but are hostile to everyone else. A fun thing to do with this covenant is to get summoned, act friendly, help the host out, and then kick him off a cliff when his guard is down.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
What is with the guy "drawing out my power" and giving me free levels? I'm assuming there's a catch.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

OzFactor posted:

What is with the guy "drawing out my power" and giving me free levels? I'm assuming there's a catch.

Don't worry about it, you'll be fine.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Beware of darkness, but heavenly chest

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

skasion posted:

You don’t really need to grind upgrade materials in this one, just clearing areas will give you loads and loads of titanite drops throughout the game. In a couple zones you’ll be able to buy them as well, as long as you explore well and remember to bring the shrine handmaiden any ashes you find.

There’s no penalties for switching covenants. Moundmakers are like the “I hate everyone” covenant. They can either put down a sign or use an invasion orb. If they put down a sign, they can help the host kill enemies or alternatively attack the host and any white/gold phantoms he’s summoned, but they can’t assist with the boss. If they invade, they can’t attack enemies, but are hostile to everyone else. A fun thing to do with this covenant is to get summoned, act friendly, help the host out, and then kick him off a cliff when his guard is down.

Uhh, there kind of is a penalty for one specific covenant a bit later on. Just equipping it will fail out of an NPC's questline (trying not to be too spoiler-y here for OzFactor, but this annoyed me my first playthrough)

There is no penalty at all for only receiving the equipable covenant items, and with the one exception just mentioned you can swap between them whenever you wish.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

OzFactor posted:

Mayyyyybe?

There IS something related to having your power drawn out. Some paths can open, and some paths can close. You'll be fine either way.

Totally unrelated question, but... whatcha wearing? Your character, that is.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
The starting armor for Warrior (Northern, I think?) with the chest piece from the knights on the high wall.

I feel like you're all not telling me something important! Like the time I saw a sign that said "Treasure below" with 50+ approval and I jumped off a cliff and died!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

OzFactor posted:

I feel like you're all not telling me something important! Like the time I saw a sign that said "Treasure below" with 50+ approval and I jumped off a cliff and died!

Iirc unless you're using seek guidance that number is just how many people rated it, not the net +/-.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

OzFactor posted:

The starting armor for Warrior (Northern, I think?) with the chest piece from the knights on the high wall.

Take a good look at yourself. Are you... remembering to moisturize?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

OzFactor posted:

It's the starting path to a fairly complicated ending option quest, which you might not figure out 100% on a blind playthrough, but you can probably bump into enough stuff to keep you entertained. It also makes you ugly but that's purely an aesthetic thing. If you want to opt out of that stuff, the Firekeeper can help you if you bring her the right item but that will lock you out of that ending on your current playthrough. You can fix the hollowing by eating purging stones or donating to a shrine you'll be able to find soonish.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I do look pretty rough, it's true. I got cursed by a big scary evil cat-dog-muppet (Animal, to be specific) in the Cathedral but it doesn't appear to work like old curse--did it just make me hollower? Not that I've figured out what that means, although I'm guessing it's tied in to what you're all NOT talking about.

Technical question (that I might have to just take to sh/sc but I'll check here first): the game runs very smooth on max settings for me, but at some point after playing, sometimes just five minutes and sometimes it doesn't happen at all, there's a hitch and then the game runs at basically half the fps until I exit out of the game and go back in--not impossible to play but certainly not ideal. I've only had this laptop for two weeks and it hasn't happened with any other games (although the only other game I've spent more than a few hours in are DS2 which is old at this point and Destiny 2, which also runs great at max). By any chance is this a known issue? I've looked to see if anything is starting up in the background and can't see anything obvious. Lowering the settings does not get the fps back up, only restarting the application. Notably, I don't have to reboot, just restart DS3.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, I'll partially explain.

You don't go Hollow when you die in this game, as I'm sure you've noticed. You're either "regular" or "Enkindled, and you lose Enkindled status when you die.

When Yoel "draws out your power" and gives you levels, he puts a Dark Sigil in your inventory. The more of these you have, the more hollow you get.

It's possible to have them removed, and their presence or absence can affect things.

You'll be fine regardless.

\/\/\/\/ He really is.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 15, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yoel is a good buddy and he is genuinely trying to help you.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
You can see your level of hollowing in the stats menu, it should be the first stat, in the top left. Tbh what are u even doing if all of your characters aren't level 99 hollow.

But that reminds me of how much I love a good wedding, if they choose to continue that path. Although it's sort of hard to trigger, like I don't know why it hasn't happened in the current run I'm doing, Yuria says that she's waiting for me, or whatever and I was confused and she wasn't in the Church of Yorshka, so I went back to the Catacombs and told her I couldn't find Horace (which is true, I incinerated him alive when I cast chaos storm as I said 'I will not scatter your sorrow to the smouldering lake' and ate his ashes

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

skasion posted:

Moundmakers are like the “I hate everyone” covenant. They can either put down a sign or use an invasion orb. If they put down a sign, they can help the host kill enemies or alternatively attack the host and any white/gold phantoms he’s summoned, but they can’t assist with the boss. If they invade, they can’t attack enemies, but are hostile to everyone else. A fun thing to do with this covenant is to get summoned, act friendly, help the host out, and then kick him off a cliff when his guard is down.

This is a sucky thing to do because it's so obvious. EVERYONE expects the Moundmaker to turn on them. Which is why almost everyone will murder Moundmakers the moment they get summoned. There are more interesting things to do, though they're much harder (especially as they require the host to play along):

1) Get summoned and actually help the host - mostly. The most direct way to do this is if you get summoned. You'll need to be careful because your attacks can hurt the host too. Help pick off enemies, take out invaders, show them secrets, etc etc. But once they've lit their last bonfire and are heading towards the fog door, stand in front of them and make it clear that you're the last challenge before the boss. Duel them.

2) Invade and help the host. This works best in an invader-heavy area. Focus entirely on red phantoms/invaders, since you can't hurt creatures. You'll almost never 'win' these because the host rarely trust a Moundmaker enough so everyone is against you, but it's a fun challenge. If there are no invaders, you can still 'help' by pointing out secrets and so on. Good luck trying to be helpful while the host is trying to kill you!

It almost never works out but it's fun when it does!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Soul Reaver posted:

This is a sucky thing to do because it's so obvious. EVERYONE expects the Moundmaker to turn on them. Which is why almost everyone will murder Moundmakers the moment they get summoned. There are more interesting things to do, though they're much harder (especially as they require the host to play along):

1) Get summoned and actually help the host - mostly. The most direct way to do this is if you get summoned. You'll need to be careful because your attacks can hurt the host too. Help pick off enemies, take out invaders, show them secrets, etc etc. But once they've lit their last bonfire and are heading towards the fog door, stand in front of them and make it clear that you're the last challenge before the boss. Duel them.

2) Invade and help the host. This works best in an invader-heavy area. Focus entirely on red phantoms/invaders, since you can't hurt creatures. You'll almost never 'win' these because the host rarely trust a Moundmaker enough so everyone is against you, but it's a fun challenge. If there are no invaders, you can still 'help' by pointing out secrets and so on. Good luck trying to be helpful while the host is trying to kill you!

It almost never works out but it's fun when it does!

The Moundmakers really needed some special item for getting the host to the fog door, some reward for the host if a moundmaker helps you kill X number of enemies, or some other fun incentive that gives everyone a reason to treat them as something besides grape-flavored PKers, but then a lot of the covenants feel like they're missing some extra kick that pushes them beyond being roughly interchangeable PvP options.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I played summon sign purple by literally never betraying the host, just accepting that I'd get nothing if they made it to the boss door, and still got to 30 vertebrae very quickly on several characters because they'll die over half the time anyway when you have reds and poo poo getting prioritized into the world by your presence

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kicking people off ledges loses its novelty very quickly. I'd much rather actually do something that involves combat.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Woah, this Spears of the Church covenant is actually pretty fun! When I got to the boss fight in PvE I just got the NPC summon, so I was confused as gently caress why it was so easy. But it's actually great being the one who's summoned.

I'm getting a lot of hits on my lvl90 character on PS4. I hope most of the people I'm fighting against have no idea how the fight works, and they're wondering why the hell this NPC invader isn't giving them a window to heal.

Finally I get to become the annoyingass boss!

Edit: Also Gael's Greatsword was a good choice to upgrade before trying this.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
So, I've got about ten tries at the Abyss Watchers and I feel like I'm not really learning anything. When I summon one of the NPC friends I can pretty consistently get through the first phase, but without them I can't make it happen, and both of them just melt as soon as the second phase starts. I haven't had much trouble with anything so far in the game as a big burly dude with big heavy weapons, but they/he/it just doesn't seem to stagger enough to actually matter. I can bait and punish all I want but I'm the one that can't recover fast enough after a swing, not they/he/it. I dodge, he gets to the end of his combo, I hit him, then he flinches and turns around and hits me before I can pull back away.

Like I said, I don't feel like I'm getting any closer. I thought I'd check to see if there's anything I'm missing here. I don't want to waste any more embers but I feel like the first part of the fight is almost random as to whether I win or lose--it mainly depends on if the third Watcher holds the aggro of the second one for any amount of time, and that seems almost random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Upgrade a straight sword, they swing and recover faster than most other weapons