Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Oil of Paris posted:

In good news however I managed to finally get a specimen I have coveted for a long time: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklinia

extinct in the wild, extremely rare and hard to find potted even at high end nurseries. Has incredible fall color, very cool flowers, and interesting growth habit.

Local nursery was going out of business and when I asked about whether they had a hookup to find any, dude went into the back and brought out two 2-3 year saplings for me in little quart pots, no charge (probably didn’t hurt that I’ve dropped like 200 bucks total on other poo poo). I was elated

Now, gotta try to figure out how to keep these fuckers alive. Repotted into gallons with high end potting soil, but they need hyper specific conditions to flourish in ground. Pretty sure they went extinct for a reason, but Super hoping that I can pull this off once I get soil tested where I think at least one will go

Have any efforts been made to repopulate it in the wild again? The article didn't say anything about that, just that the cause(s) of its extinction is/are uncertain. I'm guessing no one has tried because it's already hard enough to care for them in "captivity," but you'd think there's gotta be a way. Careful study of all the conditions where they were known to grow, for starters? It just seems like something that would be someone's passion project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Have any efforts been made to repopulate it in the wild again? The article didn't say anything about that, just that the cause(s) of its extinction is/are uncertain. I'm guessing no one has tried because it's already hard enough to care for them in "captivity," but you'd think there's gotta be a way. Careful study of all the conditions where they were known to grow, for starters? It just seems like something that would be someone's passion project.

As far as I can tell there's never been a real push to reestablish, cool though that would be. I think it would be insanely hard to pull off; even when it was discovered, they only found it in like 2-3 acres and then nowhere else, gone when they returned in 30 years. Could've been all manner of things really that really led up to the final extinction, but I'd bet $5 that piss poor adaptability played a clutch role. I honestly think the rarity of them for commercial sale alone would be a big stumbling block for a repopulation campaign, much less with each individual tree's extremely scant chance of survival

All that said I would join that crew in a heartbeat

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Careful study of all the conditions where they were known to grow, for starters? It just seems like something that would be someone's passion project.

It could also be that the environment where they were known to grow simply doesn't exist anymore. For example, most of the Appalachian forests in the US were at one point almost entirely populated by chestnut trees that could be six stories tall. They more or less all died as a result of a blight. If this was an understory plant for something like those, there's really nowhere for them to grow.

Also, they could just have insane growing conditions. Truffles would be a good example of those: the fungus that grows truffles has to grow on the living roots of a few species of mature trees, and only fruit under certain conditions. There have been passion projects by people who wanted to cultivate them, but it's just not viable to do commercially due to needing to first grow or find a mature, 30-year-old orchard, inoculate it with mycelium, and then wait for the exact right conditions (wetness-combined-with-cold) for the fungi to grow fruit.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s an extinct‐in‐the‐wild plant I want to cultivate, Moringa hildebrandtii. It’s not on IUCN’s list of thirty‐seven EW plants because supposedly a wild population has since been discovered, but it’s close. People cultivate it as a multipurpose tree, same as the other members of its genus (and family; it’s monotypic).

Wollemia nobilis is in a similar situation. There is a very small wild population of them and far more in cultivation, though still not a grat number. I got one from the first group sold publicly, but in my inexperience, I failed to keep it alive and now it’s impossible to get another.

Something that I think should be on IUCN’s list but isn’t is Hyophorbe amaricaulis. It exists as a single specimen in a botanical garden in Mauritius. If the last specimen is in a botanical garden, why is it not considered extinct in the wild?

Well, here’s the thing: documentation is lacking and we don’t know if it was planted in the garden by human hands or if the garden happened to be established around a specimen that took root in the wild.

I say: does it matter? It can no longer meaningfully be considered in the wild. It makes little difference if it was plucked from the wild or if the wild was stamped out around it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

vonnegutt posted:

Truffles would be a good example of those: the fungus that grows truffles has to grow on the living roots of a few species of mature trees, and only fruit under certain conditions. There have been passion projects by people who wanted to cultivate them, but it's just not viable to do commercially due to needing to first grow or find a mature, 30-year-old orchard, inoculate it with mycelium, and then wait for the exact right conditions (wetness-combined-with-cold) for the fungi to grow fruit.

Wait what? People absolutely grow truffles commercially, there are truffle farms in the south-west of my state. You have to find the right conditions and hope for the best but it's definitely done.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Organza Quiz posted:

Wait what? People absolutely grow truffles commercially, there are truffle farms in the south-west of my state. You have to find the right conditions and hope for the best but it's definitely done.
I know it has become a decent sideline business for some pecan growers in pecan orchards in south Georgia/Alabama/N Florida.

https://gardenandgun.com/articles/harvest-georgia-pecan-truffles/

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Organza Quiz posted:

Oh, I didn't realize. TIL. Thanks!

Aule
Oct 16, 2019
My peace lily started flowering, finally!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Aule posted:

My peace lily started flowering, finally!
Yay! Enjoy it. Mine is happy but very shy about flowering.

Aule
Oct 16, 2019

Hirayuki posted:

Yay! Enjoy it. Mine is happy but very shy about flowering.

I’ll be sure to post another few of the progress :)

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Going to dig up the grass in the back few feet of my yard where my utility easement is and plant wildflowers. Anyone have any experience with any online seed places? I might try a local nursery instead.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ReapersTouch posted:

Going to dig up the grass in the back few feet of my yard where my utility easement is and plant wildflowers. Anyone have any experience with any online seed places? I might try a local nursery instead.

I just got my orders from Park Seed and Seed Savers and they were both awesome, complete and incredibly inexpensive.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

ReapersTouch posted:

I've only used burpees and rare seeds but it was fine. Careful digging if you dont know what's below you

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I've only used burpees and rare seeds but it was fine. Careful digging if you dont know what's below you

Yea, all my utilities are below there, but all the videos I have watched dont mention any digging, just removal of any turf grass you have.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I ordered a bunch of wildflower seeds from ebay user `zellajake_farm_and_garden` and was very happy.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

ReapersTouch posted:

I've used JL Hudson before. His website looks like it's from 20 years ago, but that's because he's been around that long. They have a surprisingly deep list of seeds. http://jlhudsonseeds.net/

ReapersTouch posted:

Yea, all my utilities are below there, but all the videos I have watched dont mention any digging, just removal of any turf grass you have.

You know that you can always call 811, right?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Local council still haven’t gotten detailed plans for my house nearly 3 months after settlement so I basically just have a giant triangle of no plants between my water tank my house and my septic tank. Everything else is overhead out here but I’m super sketchy about going down anywhere in that triangle, even if I had plans.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

kid sinister posted:

I've used JL Hudson before. His website looks like it's from 20 years ago, but that's because he's been around that long. They have a surprisingly deep list of seeds. http://jlhudsonseeds.net/

You know that you can always call 811, right?

Yes, thank you.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Anyone know their way around Orchids?

So I've got this one and it got some crown rot a while back :(

I cut most of that out (there's a bit more and I should probably cut deeper, but I'm writing it off) and just hoping for a keiki so I can propagate it

Too bad because the roots are quite strong

However, what's this down there? It looks like a new leaf, but that seems way too low by my basic understanding of orchid biology

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
I don’t know anything specific about orchids but that looks like a healthy plant to me with new growth

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

My understanding from videos is that when an orchid has crown rot like that one does:

-you have to cut out the rot to keep it from spreading,
-however, this permanently destroys the ability of the plant to make new leaves, because the growth nodes are just in the top

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

The growth you see near the bottom is probably a runner root being pushed out to make a new plant

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

ReapersTouch posted:

For bonus points, see if you can find a seed mix that's exclusively (or mainly) wildflowers that are actually indigenous to your region. "Wildflowers" are often considered "weeds" and are liable to spread. It's good if you're spreading things that are supposed to be there.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

For bonus points, see if you can find a seed mix that's exclusively (or mainly) wildflowers that are actually indigenous to your region. "Wildflowers" are often considered "weeds" and are liable to spread. It's good if you're spreading things that are supposed to be there.

American Meadows has a wildflower mix that is supposed to be for the southwest, but I compared the ingredient list to a list of pollinators for my area and most weren't listed. I'll visit a few local places to see if they offer something better.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I wanted to do specific local wildflowers, and it is pretty easy to locate docs about what types are near me. But it turned out I just couldn't find any seeds to buy to match them correctly. I was just using them for a wild flower garden so I decided it wasn't worth going crazy trying to match the native flowers.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Your state / county, or whoever does the highway maitnence, will probably have seed mix for wildflowers if they do high mowing wildflowers in the medians. They'll tell you where they get their mix.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
You could always throw some more milkweed down. Here’s a doc that lists the varieties that are native to OK if you’re super worried about non-natives:

https://kerrcenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/milkweed-guidebook-for-web.pdf

I’m with the guy above in that, while I really have a fondness for native plants, I’m not going to shy away from non-natives as long as they’re not invasive, especially if they’re at least native to *somewhere* in North America

Also, for the guy who mentioned the roadside plantings, that’s a real good idea and ideally your extension office will have a document that lists all of those plants. I know the one here in NC has their own little fancy colored book about all the flowers they use, for free

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

I have one butterfly milkweed in my front flowerbed that we got from some farmers market OSU had on. Currently, it has about 20 seed pods on it, which contain about 15 or so seeds in each pod, so milkweed shouldn't be a problem.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Your state / county, or whoever does the highway maintenance, will probably have seed mix for wildflowers if they do high mowing wildflowers in the medians. They'll tell you where they get their mix.

This is great advice and I found the website with this info. http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/beauty/wildflower/seed.htm

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

ReapersTouch posted:

This is great advice and I found the website with this info. http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/beauty/wildflower/seed.htm

Haha, glad it was of some help. I went on a deep dive of all that stuff when I was trying to set up a wildflower meadow at the park I was working at. Unfortunately, the people contracted to mow were complete boneheads, and even mowed over SAPLINGS we planted, and couldn't be trusted to not gently caress everything up. So we never did that. Pitty. But I plan on wildflower planting as soon as I have a bit of property to myself.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
found online, not mine

Aule
Oct 16, 2019
My Alocasia also seems to be flowering. Good season my dudes, never seen it before so I can’t wait

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

That70sHeidi posted:

found online, not mine

drat that is reallllly good

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Really feeling the thread title right now. Finally working on my front yard, and the previous owner had a fondness for English ivy, privet hedge, and liriope. Throw in some blackberry volunteers, and I'm going to have to nuke the front bed to get it clear. So I took a day off from that and planted 45 daffodil bulbs around a giant rosemary bush off to the side. At least I'll have something pretty to look at in spring while the rest of the yard is in transition.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Sounds great. I'll be making a flowerbed in the backyard soon and I'd love to plant some alliums soon.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Can anyone school me on fluorescent grow lights? I have some citrus trees, pepper plants and a range of natives that are getting shelved for the winter and I have extra lamp fixtures in my shop.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Behold my mighty banana plant.

It’s actually pretty big by mail order standards.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 26, 2019

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Atticus_1354 posted:

Can anyone school me on fluorescent grow lights? I have some citrus trees, pepper plants and a range of natives that are getting shelved for the winter and I have extra lamp fixtures in my shop.

You might want to check the Hydroponics thread

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

there wolf posted:

Really feeling the thread title right now. Finally working on my front yard, and the previous owner had a fondness for English ivy, privet hedge, and liriope. Throw in some blackberry volunteers, and I'm going to have to nuke the front bed to get it clear. So I took a day off from that and planted 45 daffodil bulbs around a giant rosemary bush off to the side. At least I'll have something pretty to look at in spring while the rest of the yard is in transition.

loving English ivy. I've pulled so much of it out at the place I'm at.

Planted a good number of bulbs, though. Maybe not a shameful amount, considering the landlord's paying and the property is 10000 sqft, but I've also been putting in a lot of perennials. I should really go around and do some before/after photos of the property.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Any treeborists able to identify this tree? I'm guessing Austrian Pine based on it being one of the recommended types of trees to be planted in this area based on soil and climate (northern nevada, full sun, clayey soil) and whatnot but it's mostly just a guess. I think the needles are in clumps of 2 but that's based off the photos, not an in person examination.

I really only need to know the approximate mature height of it, for a project I'm working on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright, so not quite sure what plant thread to post this in. Please let me know if there's a better one.

I'm looking at redoing our house plant setup for winter and was wanting to try to convert a glass curio cabinet type of thing into a home for plants. Something like one of these.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/fabrikoer-glass-door-cabinet-blue-00409032/
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/klingsbo-glass-door-cabinet-black-clear-glass-60128562/
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/milsbo-glass-door-cabinet-white-00396416/

The problem is that we don't have great places for natural light, especially in the winter. I'm trying to figure out the lighting situation and I know that most lights need to be at least a couple of feet off the plant for it to get proper light. Additionally, if I have plants on each level of the shelf I imagine I'll need to put lights on top of each plant so it's not getting blocked from the plant above it. Lastly, I'm not sure exactly what plants would work well in this type of setup.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a project like this? I'm not a great gardener but I feel like this is something I could do with a little guidance and it sure would be nice to have some green stuff around during winter.