Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I never played SotFS and felt a bit ripped off when it came out. I got DS2 on release, devoured it and paid for all the DLC only for a *shiny new* version to drop not much later. I should really try it out some time. Will it end up feeling like a weird mod of the game or will it make more sense than the original?

IMO the length of DS2 is a bit of a weakness - just plotting out the game in my head I feel like there's a lot of mandatory stuff/areas you need to go to but that might just be foggy memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Calico Heart posted:

I never played SotFS and felt a bit ripped off when it came out. I got DS2 on release, devoured it and paid for all the DLC only for a *shiny new* version to drop not much later. I should really try it out some time. Will it end up feeling like a weird mod of the game or will it make more sense than the original?

IMO the length of DS2 is a bit of a weakness - just plotting out the game in my head I feel like there's a lot of mandatory stuff/areas you need to go to but that might just be foggy memory.
That really depends on what you mean with "more sense". No, they didn't reverse the Iron Keep Elevator. However, they did add some enemies on "zone borders" that make areas seem a little more interconnected, like they just wandered off from their home zone. The level geometry is mostly the same, but they changed a lot of encounters that gives a new context to a lot of corners.

Some changes in geometry are also there to actually change level progression: there is now an actual shortcut in No Man's Wharf from end to beginning, which looks like it was always meant to be there. A lot more Branches are needed to unlock a few corners, for example in the starting area. And you can skip Dragon Aerie now if you want to!

A lot of item placements were also changed, giving you for example the option to have an early Whip - or Greatlance! There's new minibosses that carry items you previously just found, new NPC invaders that can drop poo poo, and so on - it's a great update and experience for someone who played vanilla before, imo. In fact, some changes are obviously made as a wink to people who played the original.

The DLCs are unchanged, in case you ask.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Iron Keep Elevator is good and important.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blaziken386 posted:

Fallout 3 is terrible and you should feel bad for liking it

It is good and I do not

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Calico Heart posted:

SotFS is really good, a lot of areas are way more padded out. A minor complaint people have is that there are actually too many enemies in some areas, but I like it! The enemy placement also makes a lot more sense. SotFS is especially good if you have some memories of the original game, because it really fucks with you in some places in a good way.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Okay I made it to Fume Knight

I have two questions:

#1 Where is Sir Allant? I haven't found him or Blue Smelter Demon

#2 Don't tell me that the smelter wedges I was suppose to use those six stakes for were for the ones in Fume Knight's lair. I thought it was for those wedges found throughout the area?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 22, 2019

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I have two questions:

#2 Don't tell me that the smelter wedges I was suppose to use those six stakes for were for the ones in Fume Knight's lair. I thought it was for those wedges found throughout the area?

Blue Smelter Demon is in the iron passage. As for Sir Alonne, there's a suit of samurai armor off in a side passage somewhere that you can't do anything with before beating Fume Knight and also being pretty much at the end of the main story.

There's 12 smelter wedges around the area and 1 more from beating Sir Alonne.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I have two questions:

1: Do you mean Sir Alonne? If so his area is by the Smelter Throne bonfire, near the top of the tower. (You also need the Ashen Mist Heart to access it.) The blue Smelter Demon is instead in the Iron Passage, on a side path in the lower area of the tower.
2: You can get more wedges than your original six - 11 in total. Do some exploring with the elevator that travels up from the Foyer bonfire. Also make sure that you keep enough spare to fully deal with the Fume Knight's arena; the last is in Sir Alonne's area and I dunno if you can get it yet.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ok, more elevators exploring. And I can't fight Sir Alonne until I beat Fume Knight?

Also, so I have to use kill all of the smelter wedges in the area to stop Fume Knight from healing himself? Or does it work by Fume Knight is only able to heal the same amount of smelter wedges there are powering his tower?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 22, 2019

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You need to beat Fume Knight and have the Ashen Mist Heart to get into Sir Alonne's area.

Fume Knight doesn't heal himself but the statues outside his boss room buff his damage and heal him if he's near the walls.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Use the smelter wedges on the idols around FK's boss arena and they won't heal him.

I think you can get to all of the ashen mist idols before getting the last smelter wedge from Alonne, which requires you to beat Fume Knight. Meaning it's possible to be forced to fight Fume Knight with one of the ashen mist idols alive. It's definitely doable cause it's a pretty big arena and he doesn't usually do a lot of jumping all over the place. But you have to be extra careful.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Think I'll try SotFS. One of the things I remember really really enjoying about DS2 is the amount of magic there was in the game - there were some really specific, weird things that were quite fun to use and the magic of DS3 felt like a massive leap backwards.

I think when I think about the first game I get excited about different builds I want to try and how I'd make them - DS2 is just long enough that getting to the part where a build comes together seems like a bit more of a chore.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

SotFS can still be easily done with a magic build if you want, but the DLC's SUCK for magic users: most enemies have really high resistances against elemental damage. However, you don't need to really invest a lot of stats to get good damage output with weapons, you can just upgrade a physical one to +10 and do well, even with the minimal stat requirements.

SotFS does give you quick access to a lot more diverse weapons right out of the gate. I would recommended thinking about what build/weapon you mainly want to go for and rush the path you'll find your main gear on. For instance, there is a great lance in the forest of fallen giants now, the great club is down at the start of the black gulch and easily reached once you have the cat ring, you can go powerstance estoc/rapier once you've activated the blacksmith, and bows are also great and you can get a +7 one at the start of the shulva DLC, or go with the dragonrider bow once you unlock straid for boss-soul usage.

The DLC's are accessed by keys that take some effort to find, they're really well hidden actually. Again, I'd recommend looking up where to get the keys. The right time to look for the DLC keys is when you encounter the DLC warp altars (after the rotten, after the old iron king, after the shrine of winter), not the other way around. It really pays off to go enter every DLC and do the first part of each DLC to grab some good gear. You can also easily rush the DLC by sprinting past most enemies for good gear if you're doing a certain build or want to get some upgrade materials.

Hex-magic is still pretty good, as are sorceries and pyromancies. Miracles are quite poo poo damage-wise, but have lots of utility.

There are a -ton- of petrified dudes around blocking acces to chests and doors, I'd recommend looking up what each one gets you as it's easy to block off areas for a while if you use your first set of branches on the wrong statues.

Remember that DS2 has two of the best systems in the series for getting the build you want: soul vessels (reset stats) and bonfire ascetics (respawn everything and increase NG level by 1). You can look up what changes when you ascetic some places, and you can get insane amounts of souls or really good gear by using this system.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I have two questions:

#1 Where is Sir Allant?

In Demon's Souls :haw:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Samopsa posted:

SotFS can still be easily done with a magic build if you want, but the DLC's SUCK for magic users: most enemies have really high resistances against elemental damage. However, you don't need to really invest a lot of stats to get good damage output with weapons, you can just upgrade a physical one to +10 and do well, even with the minimal stat requirements.
Oddly enough those DLC enemies have high resistance against elemental damage from spells. Elemental damage from weapons, on the other hand, is for the most part fine. (I had a run on Scholar where I rushed the Moonlight Greatsword and noticed little to no change in damage numbers on the blade itself.)

That said, if you have enough patience and herbs (or you rush for the Old Iron Crown) you can still Dark Orb everything to death. It's not the most powerful spell in the game but it's far and away the most efficient.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Man, it really is a shame that DS3 didn't learn from DS2. Hexes were awesome in this game - pumping Int and Faith made you a weenie but it was a really cool trade-off system. Bonfire Ascetic's are an absolutely amazing mechanic.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Calico Heart posted:

Man, it really is a shame that DS3 didn't learn from DS2. Hexes were awesome in this game - pumping Int and Faith made you a weenie but it was a really cool trade-off system. Bonfire Ascetic's are an absolutely amazing mechanic.
I'm hoping for the equivalent of bonfire ascetics in Elden Ring, if that's even possible with how the game plays. I just really, really love that mechanic.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

DS2 had the most straight-up big improvement of all souls games imo. DS1 and Bloodborne really improved upon the foundations laid by demon souls, but DS2 had way more experimental and big changes but lacked a bit in polish and game-feel. DS3 was a step back imo, both mechanics-wise and gamefeel-wise. It's just too bad From basically ignored everything they did in DS2.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
DS3 keeps the vast majority of quality of life changes that DS2 made though

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Maybe it's controversial but I really liked DS2's expiring enemy respawns and I wish DS3 had them. There are several areas I've never really fully explored in DS3 because the enemies are just too annoying to deal with over and over, but I'd have been willing to farm them for a bit to lighten the load.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Volte posted:

Maybe it's controversial but I really liked DS2's expiring enemy respawns and I wish DS3 had them. There are several areas I've never really fully explored in DS3 because the enemies are just too annoying to deal with over and over, but I'd have been willing to farm them for a bit to lighten the load.

If I was dev at FROM I'd make the suggestion of adding a feature that lets the player turn off enemy respawning temporarily for a modest cost.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
IMO a cool way to do it would be with a semi-rare consumable that lets you kill an enemy and prevent it from respawning. Like you throw something at an enemy to apply the effect(like a lloyd's talisman), and then you kill them and they don't respawn. Maybe they leave behind something kinda like the NPC graves in ds2, and interacting with it reverses the effect and lets them respawn again.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

skasion posted:

DS3 keeps the vast majority of quality of life changes that DS2 made though

things lacking/implemented worse in ds3:

poise
bonfire ascetics
lifegems
depleting enemies (and a covenant that prevents this)
neat single player covenants (darkdivers, champions)
build variety
easy stat resets (coupling it to pvp rewards/punishing players suuuucks)
lack of cool invasions and npc's to summon (there are a few but sotfs is FULL of them and they're awesome, emoting and poo poo)
hub-and-spoke structure
aldia
anything that happens in ds2 plotwise really
reasons to come back to earlier areas (king's ring, ashen mist heart, darkdivers, lighting torches, dlc acces)
npc questlines that can be finished without a guide
summons for the levels instead of just for the boss
small white soapstone
things reacting to light/torches
pharros' lockstones & branches
pursuer following you around
non-hostile mobs that you can interact with in a meaningful way (barrel dregs in the iron king dlc, torch hollows in some places)

e:

WaltherFeng posted:

If I was dev at FROM I'd make the suggestion of adding a feature that lets the player turn off enemy respawning temporarily for a modest cost.

they already did this in ds2, join the covenant of champions and poof enemies no longer despawn

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Samopsa posted:

they already did this in ds2, join the covenant of champions and poof enemies no longer despawn

That's the opposite of what they were wishing for

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

oh oops, misread that, sorrry.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Samopsa posted:

poise
bonfire ascetics
lifegems
neat single player covenants (darkdivers, champions)
build variety
easy stat resets (coupling it to pvp rewards/punishing players suuuucks)
lack of cool invasions and npc's to summon (there are a few but sotfs is FULL of them and they're awesome, emoting and poo poo)
hub-and-spoke structure
aldia
anything that happens in ds2 plotwise really
reasons to come back to earlier areas (king's ring, ashen mist heart, darkdivers, lighting torches, dlc acces)
npc questlines that can be finished without a guide
summons for the levels instead of just for the boss
small white soapstone
non-hostile mobs that you can interact with in a meaningful way (barrel dregs in the iron king dlc, torch hollows in some places)
:hmmyes:

This poo poo is why I feel confident in calling DS2 my favorite Dark Souls. So many of the changes felt like they were done to make a better game experience, and half of them got rejected by the Souls community for DS3 because it wasn't, I guess, the first game but with better graphics? Having reasons to return to early areas was cool. Pointlessly keeping torch hollows alive was fun. The pursuer was a loving great addition to the game, and added a feel of hopeless terror the first time it happened, then some serious excitement after that because hell yeah I get to fight this rear end in a top hat again.

God I love DS2 (SotFS specifically).

One thing I'd love that I don't think any Souls has done, though, is make a 'new play' coop feature. I've played through DS3 with a group of friends and it started to get really tiring like, alternating back and forth between either me or my friend being the 'first' to go through an area, then we go through again so the other person can also get progress and pick up items. Literally make a Dark Souls 4 and put all this poo poo in, but make casual, password-locked coop with friends less punishing, and you've made my favorite Dark Souls.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Samopsa posted:

Sorry that you don’t like how respec/torches/whatever were handled, but they were definitely in the game, along with a host of other things from DS2, like the upgrade and infusion system, the estus system, grid menus, immediate warp to every bonfire, covenant switching without penalty, expanded weapon/ring/quick item slots, dark as its own elements rather than a kludge, service NPCs being collected at the hub rather than scattered all over the map, bonfires automatically saving as your spawn point when you light them for the first time, multiple item use. Saying that DS3 ignored DS2 is complete bullshit. They obviously looked at DS2’s design for their game based on DS1, and chose what from DS2 they wanted to add.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Samopsa posted:

lifegems

hub-and-spoke structure
aldia

All these things were bad.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 22, 2019

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

Use the smelter wedges on the idols around FK's boss arena and they won't heal him.

I think you can get to all of the ashen mist idols before getting the last smelter wedge from Alonne, which requires you to beat Fume Knight. Meaning it's possible to be forced to fight Fume Knight with one of the ashen mist idols alive. It's definitely doable cause it's a pretty big arena and he doesn't usually do a lot of jumping all over the place. But you have to be extra careful.

Wait, so I used all of the original six smelter wedges but one on previous idols. Does this mean that I have to fight Fume Knight with one of the walls still active?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wait, so I used all of the original six smelter wedges but one on previous idols. Does this mean that I have to fight Fume Knight with one of the walls still active?

Maybe not, but possibly. There’s four more you can find in a chest accessible by taking elevators up from near the Foyer bonfire. If you already used those too you’re SOL, there is one more wedge in the game but you need to beat Fume to access it.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

punk rebel ecks posted:

You find 6 early in the DLC. There are 4 more to be found. Then the last one you can't get until after Fume -> Alonne. So if you've only used 6, you can go find 4 more. Ride some elevators to find them.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

All these things were bad.

Still not over being stabbed in the back by Maldron?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

build variety

Bloodborne and DS3 were just so boring for this. DS3 especially with how linear the first half is.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

You should have ten at this point.

darksouls.wikidot posted:

Six near the beginning.
Four close to the third bonfire, take the elevator to the left up twice and go right at the top of the second elevator, follow the path and at the end is a chest with four Smelter Wedges

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Thanks for the wedge responses.

Rubellavator posted:

Still not over being stabbed in the back by Maldron?

That guy was so avoidable. Just run right past him on both the descent and back up.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks for the wedge responses.

That guy was so avoidable. Just run right past him on both the descent and back up.

Oh lol you're still playing through it. Hold your opinions please.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I just used a giant tree seed for that guy. Whack him a couple times, wait for him to run down the tower, then use the seed and wait a minute or two.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The amount of secrets in 2 is another thing that's just staggering. I still find poo poo to this day that I hadn't discovered before. There's multiple types of hidden walls (pharos, illusory , breakable) and multiple types of secret loot enemies (crystal lizards, the sprinting hollows, the invisible hollows, the secret butterflies) There's pretty much always a secret unlocked by lighting all the torches in an area and there's so many miscellaneous little secrets spread around areas. 2 is chock full of so many little details and small secrets that you'll never really run out of poo poo to discover until like your 10th playthrough or so.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The red crystal lizards are diabolical. I always miss those skittery little things, so when I saw a red one I was like "ooh haven't seen THAT one before, it must have something amazing!" and successfully chased it down.

:darksouls:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

LobosJR is doing a playthrough of a SOTFS mod called Augur of Darkness that, for once, actually changes environments, not just drops and enemy locations. It makes me actually really interested in getting this game on PC just to be able to play it.

Timestamped when he gets to Heide's Tower, there's a whole secondary area that has some Shrine of Amana spellcasters in what seems to be a really well laid out secondary area/shortcut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I399ojLh3zk&t=1481s