Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

That is a story for another time [waves hands mystically]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Palpatine changes his web shooters from shock webs (purple) to swinging webs (blue).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhDtFnpNOfE

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I really am insanely tired of all these Star Wars

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Justin Godscock posted:

I honestly wonder if they are going to explain how Palpatine survived getting blown up in a Death Star reactor then having the entire Death Star blow up. I mean, if all we see is the remains of his body in a mechwalker (and nothing more) or whatever then I will just laugh.

I mean, I'm still waiting for an explanation as to how Luke's old lightsabre was recovered from Bespin and ended up with Rey.

See you all there opening day.

Force magic

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Film's ocean and space palette is gorgeous.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Bobcats posted:

Film's ocean and space palette is gorgeous.

‘colours pretty’ was about all I got from it too.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Why do I hate these so much, I’m trying to figure it out. I don’t hate 1-3: they’re poo poo, but I don’t actually hate them.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Torquemada posted:

Why do I hate these so much, I’m trying to figure it out. I don’t hate 1-3: they’re poo poo, but I don’t actually hate them.

TheIncredulousHulk this seems like a post for you

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
1-3 have their hearts in the right place. Even if you think the movies suck it’s hard to be too mad about blockbusters that openly say “rich people hate everything good and love war and will use their riches to destroy democracy because they’re evil”. Like, compare that poo poo to the message that Avengers movies send.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Torquemada posted:

i think it's the general unfocused badness mixed with technical competence.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Saint Drogo posted:

i think it's the general unfocused badness mixed with technical competence.

Reminds me of the Bill Hicks bit about having the knowledge of the ages at our fingertips, but we still use our resources preserving Debbie Gibson songs. They could give us literally anything, but what we get is whatever this is.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

This movie is going to be so dumb.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It is a star wars duh

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Palpatine survived the Death Star cuz of Sith genes or something and he got picked up and turned in CYBER PALPATINE. He's gonna show up and try to blow up a planet and then Kylo's going to cut him in half with a light saber.

Meanwhile there's some rogue Empire scientist who's been cloning all the characters and made a big goop monster and then it's gonna kill C-3PO and Rey's gonna get pissed and turned SUPER JEDI LEVEL 2

And if you critique the movie for actual issues people will say "Oh you didn't get the metaphor, the goop monster represents your nostalgia for the franchise." And if you point out that they stole plot points from Dragonball Z they'll say that's part of the nostalgia goop monster.

Also a lot of people will hate the movie for the wrong reasons which will therefore shield the movie from any actual criticism.

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga
they have a ridiculous amount of ground to cover. some of the fights in the trailer look cool but like who is fighting and why? who cares? the emperor is the final boss - ok but poo poo they gotta introduce him and defeat him and hopefully make it not feel rushed all within the span of like 2.5 hours?

like the trailer frames this as an epic conclusion to the whole star wars saga and like, ok objectively it is the conclusion but i bet they wish they actually had some interesting plot threads in progress and hadn't spent all of tlj dicking around not moving the plot forward

but i'm gonna get stoned and see it

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Maybe make pal patine like a giant cyber transformer, who turns into a giant Jedi and just stabs planets with a giant sword. I can see it in my mind's eye, star destroyers forming slender but powerful limbs, death star becoming a head...

Blank McBlankerson
Feb 21, 2013
Palpatine turns his throne into a Penitent Engine, Rey does some cool flips and poo poo and Kylo Ren turns out to have split personality disorder and his other other OTHER identity comes out.

Also, in terms of continuity did disney even WATCH Episode 4&6? There were no pieces left of the death star(s) when they exploded.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The emperor had a secret hyperspace engine built into his robes, he flew away under cover from explosions.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Maybe make pal patine like a giant cyber transformer, who turns into a giant Jedi and just stabs planets with a giant sword. I can see it in my mind's eye, star destroyers forming slender but powerful limbs, death star becoming a head...

...how about the dick? What makes the huge metal dong?? Please...I need to know...

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Wow that last trailer did loving nothing for me.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Idk the water planet was pretty. Very reminiscent of dune, a far superior scifi property.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Palpatine was a force projection the whole time! He was never on the Death Star!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

...how about the dick? What makes the huge metal dong?? Please...I need to know...

That bigass cannon from the end of TLJ. Nobody got it at the time but the whole film was an elaborate backstory for the nuemperor's metal weiner.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Lol the horses

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Alright, I have a confession to make. I didn't hate that trailer. what is wrong with me.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4z4vtJpt4E

I haven't been this happy in a long time

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

b-minus1 posted:

Alright, I have a confession to make. I didn't hate that trailer. what is wrong with me.

Nothing. It’s a fine trailer, plenty better than what we’ve gotten before. Nothing in it really convinced me that I absolutely must see this movie but it didn’t need to either because

get me HQ! posted:

i'm gonna get stoned and see it

independent of quality.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

In this exciting installment, we learn of the ancient Force Teleport without Error spell...

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Star Wars: The Pies of Skywalker: An XXX Parody

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Palpatine had levelled up enough to tank the hit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Justin Godscock posted:

I honestly wonder if they are going to explain how Palpatine survived getting blown up in a Death Star reactor then having the entire Death Star blow up. I mean, if all we see is the remains of his body in a mechwalker (and nothing more) or whatever then I will just laugh.

I mean, I'm still waiting for an explanation as to how Luke's old lightsabre was recovered from Bespin and ended up with Rey.

See you all there opening day.

Maybe the reactor had a stargate

Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

My favorite part of the new trailer is when Poe yells "Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride to ruin, and the worlds ending!"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*Ep 9 begins with a flashback, like in the start of The Two Towers*

"Father, please!"

*Vader turns and grabs Palpatine, throws him down the shaft*

*As Luke goes towards Vader, the camera pans away and instead follows Palpatine as he hurtles down the Death Star shaft*

*As he falls, we hear a metallic singing sound, it's his magic force wand, hurtling down towards its master!*

*Palpatine grabs the wand, then looks directly towards the camera*

"You've activated my trap card!"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

My favorite part of the new trailer is when Poe yells "Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride to ruin, and the worlds ending!"

That was pretty good - I'd say the second-best moment is when Palpatine groans and says 'With you Skywalkers, every day is a Tums festival!'

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

What if Palpatine never existed as a person but was a projection of the republics deep set insecurity and racism?! You can't, like, blow up an idea man!

Aug 3, 2014

Mozi posted:

That was pretty good - I'd say the second-best moment is when Palpatine groans and says 'With you Skywalkers, every day is a Tums festival!'

"Rey! What do your Jedi eyes see?"

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Much like the prequels, this movie looks like its where they should have started the story. Rather than 2 movies that ultimately contribute nothing.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

We only get a sampling of Palpatines monologue, "Star War was always here. Before man was, Star War waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting it's ultimate practitioner." but I can already tell its gonna clean up at the awards

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Maybe we should have a sequel series that's focused more on individuals as opposed to interstellar war scales.... I think we could call it Star Warriors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Colonel Cancer posted:

Idk the water planet was pretty. Very reminiscent of dune, a far superior scifi property.

Luckily there's a Dune adaptation coming out and spearheaded by an actually good director, so when Episode IX: The Dark Jedi Rises inevitably shits into theatres we all have a real sci-fi epic to look forward to