Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
No-one has a political solution for sustaining high decentralisation combined with high redistribution between regions of vastly different levels of wealth. If the Center redistributes, it also asks for oversight over its largesse

(If you do have any ideas, please fix Europe)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Plank Sanction posted:

I've heard similar before but I can't get my head around the idea that it's a cynical dig at Star Trek, which is incredibly goofy but is something I've always loved. YMMV on an episode by episode basis but Trek's heart is in the right place.

Never actually seen The Orville since it seems to be only available on Sky.

Its more of a well executed and very fond tribute than a cynical dig.

The entire discovery tardigrade story arc plus all the season one main character ideas were straight up pinched wholesale from an early access video game and paramount got sued. No idea what happened about that, but the tardigrade isn't really in it anymore.

Edit : CBS not paramount, and the little guy got hosed over in court apparently

Morningwoodpecker fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 22, 2019

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Lisa Nandy :rolleyes:

Caroline Flint on behalf of Propserity UK :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pesmerga fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 22, 2019

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Pesmerga posted:

I think at this point Labour's best hope is to vote down the programme motion, and go for an election. Johnson has announced that if he doesn't get exactly what he wants, he's pulling the Bill.

Yeah there's really no reason not to vote it down if you're a lab MP. Vote it down and we get an election, done.

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Its more of a well executed and very fond tribute than a cynical dig.

The entire discovery tardigrade story arc plus all the season one main character ideas were straight up pinched wholesale from an early access video game and paramount got sued. No idea what happened about that, but the tardigrade isn't really in it anymore.

This was actually dismissed in court last month but the tardigrade thing was only in at most a couple of early episodes. No-one was sued (and CBS were taken to court, not Paramount).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aphex- posted:

Yeah there's really no reason not to vote it down if you're a lab MP. Vote it down and we get an election, done.

Unless you're an idiot centrist or that ghoul Hoey. More accurate to say there's no reason to not vote it down and remain a Labour MP.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Jedit posted:

Unless you're an idiot centrist or that ghoul Hoey. More accurate to say there's no reason to not vote it down and remain a Labour MP.

Pity Corbyn won't consider that as an option.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

gh0stpinballa posted:

why are so many mushrooms so poisonous, thats hosed up man

Half a billion people rely on Cassava root for their staple diet which is full of bloody cyanide and fucks you up right proper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassava

Plants are dicks.

Saros fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 22, 2019

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Is CUK still a thing or are they all lib dems now?

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Is CUK still a thing or are they all lib dems now?

Isn't Mike Gapes still in CUK?

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Plank Sanction posted:

This was actually dismissed in court last month but the tardigrade thing was only in at most a couple of early episodes. No-one was sued (and CBS were taken to court, not Paramount).

I'm sure all the characters being the same and the six foot blue tardigrade that could instantly travel through space were just a coincidence. Its such an overused sci-fi trope after all.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The Orville is loving offensive. Seth McFarlane was handed millions of dollars to make a sci-fi TV show and he decided to make a slavish recreation of something that already existed instead, plus some poo poo jokes. If you want to watch something like TNG there are already 178 episodes of it (although more accurately, there are 172 episodes of Voyager, as warmed over rehashes of TNG is much closer to that show). Say what you like about Discovery, at least it’s trying something new with Star Trek.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 22, 2019

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

A spicy burn on IBS

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

E: yes, free of the English the oppressed peoples must surely create the egalitarian utopia we dream of, just like *checks notes* Ireland!

Not to keep stirring when the thread has moved on, but this feels like a massive self-own because Ireland is, in fact, miles better than the UK by pretty much any metric, even before Brexit hell began. And that's despite a millennium of colonialism, so lol

(I'm actually lol'ing, not mad and crying. Don't tell them I cried)

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

The Orville is loving offensive. Seth McFarlane was handed millions of dollars to make a sci-fi TV show and he decided to make a slavish recreation of something that already existed instead, plus some poo poo jokes. If you want to watch something like TNG there are already 178 episodes of it (although more accurately, there are 172 episodes of Voyager, as that warmed over rehashes of TNG is much closer to that show). Say what you like about Discovery, at least it’s trying something new with Star Trek.

I saw one episode of the orville and it was about seth mcfarlane trying to get laid and some dude trying to piss. It was mediocre. I liked discovery.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Looke posted:

A spicy burn on IBS

Yeah I quite enjoyed that.

Anyone noticed that tom watson is yet again loving miles from the spotlight? I get the feeling he is deliberately keeping out of brexit because he thinks this positions him better to run for PM at some point.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I'm sure all the characters being the same and the six foot blue tardigrade that could instantly travel through space were just a coincidence. Its such an overused sci-fi trope after all.

Aahaha holy poo poo you were't kidding what the actual gently caress.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not to keep stirring when the thread has moved on, but this feels like a massive self-own because Ireland is, in fact, miles better than the UK by pretty much any metric, even before Brexit hell began. And that's despite a millennium of colonialism, so lol

(I'm actually lol'ing, not mad and crying. Don't tell them I cried)

Ireland is actually what most English seem to aspire to, a land run by centrist melts.

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?

I haven't played the game, but the judge seemed to think so.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Ireland is actually what most English seem to aspire to, a land run by centrist melts.

Corrupt centrists melts, thankyouverymuch

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
So does the UK have “swing” districts that regularly switch between Tory and Labour? I’m still tryig to get my head around how the Tories still seem to be favored in the next general election.

Trek Derail:

I thought Trek fans still hated Brannon Braga for the damp squib named Star Trek: Voyager.

Making Star Trek a primetime show is the worst thing you can do if you otherwise want to keep its hokey, optimistic appeal. Being a viable primetime show usually involves lots of un-Trekkie sexiness and action and also engaging in lots of risk-aversion when it comes to storyline and new characters.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Basically yeah, but also there's property development crime

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Brony Car posted:

I thought Trek fans still hated Brannon Braga for the damp squib named Star Trek: Voyager.

Making Star Trek a primetime show is the worst thing you can do if you otherwise want to keep its hokey, optimistic appeal. Being a viable primetime show usually involves lots of un-Trekkie sexiness and action and also engaging in lots of risk-aversion when it comes to storyline and new characters.

Voyager had the best intro music.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Fitzpatrick asked for assurances that Corbyn wouldn't remove the whip from MPs who vote in favour, and he basically gave that assurance, FFS.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Brony Car posted:

So does the UK have “swing” districts that regularly switch between Tory and Labour? I’m still tryig to get my head around how the Tories still seem to be favored in the next general election.

Yes, very much so. We call those marginal constituencies.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CyberPingu posted:

Voyager had the best intro music.

Spoken like someone who doesn't have faith, of the heart

(The actual best music by far is DS9. in my bachelor youth I recall being in the throes of the physical expression of love with a young lady when her roommate put on DS9 very loudly downstairs. It was a powerful feeling)

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Does everyone forget about Enterprise? Voyager wasn't great and had to follow the best Trek but Enterprise is just terrible in every way.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Basically yeah, but also there's property development crime
And diesel smuggling.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Patel just got fuckin' called out by Yvette Cooper. That was pretty hilarious.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Spoken like someone who doesn't have faith, of the heart

(The actual best music by far is DS9. in my bachelor youth I recall being in the throes of the physical expression of love with a young lady when her roommate put on DS9 very loudly downstairs. It was a powerful feeling)

Im a big fan of the planet suite and the voyager music sounds a lot like Jupiter so :shrug:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
^^^^ykno I love Holst but never made that connection so I'll have to revisit and assess

Guavanaut posted:

And diesel smuggling.

Oh yeah,but only the first one has been definitively shown to be the government itself.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yes, very much so. We call those marginal constituencies.

And are a lot of the “Leave” constituencies marginal ones? Does that explain a lot of the pro-deal Labour MPs doing what they’re doing?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Does everyone forget about Enterprise? Voyager wasn't great and had to follow the best Trek but Enterprise is just terrible in every way.

Prequels are bad. I wish that concept would just die out, but they seem to make enough money that we’ll never be rid of them.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Brony Car posted:

And are a lot of the “Leave” constituencies marginal ones? Does that explain a lot of the pro-deal Labour MPs doing what they’re doing?

That, idiocy, and possible outside interests. Caroline Flint is in one of those constituencies, for example, but is stepping down at the next election. She is, however, involved with a body called Propserity UK, which is part-funded by a hedge-fund manager that seems to be very much in favour of a hard Brexit.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Brony Car posted:

Prequels are bad. I wish that concept would just die out, but they seem to make enough money that we’ll never be rid of them.

I'd watch a prequel show of James Cromwell as Zephram Cochrane, just whooping it up with his primitive warp drive, offending Vulcans and being a belligerent alcoholic

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Enterprise is better than Voyager. At least Enterprise gave its basic premise a bit of a go. Voyager just abandoned everything interesting after the pilot and quickly settled into episode after episode of beige.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
IDS saying westminsiter is covered in MP's skidmarks and I threw up a little

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Comrade Fakename posted:

Enterprise is better than Voyager. At least Enterprise gave its basic premise a bit of a go. Voyager just abandoned everything interesting after the pilot and quickly settled into episode after episode of beige.

But then you have the episodes with Irish racism, and the one where lizard Janeway gets impregnated by lizard Tom (IIRC?)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

Enterprise only really started to get going in it's last series, Voyager had the occasional dip into something interesting prior to season 4, though it only really hit the ground running when the interactions between 7 of 9 and the Doctor started in earnest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Today is going to be make or break for the Labour Party. I see this going through, on Labour support, and then no election for the foreseeable future.