Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Johnny Truant posted:

And yeah, international is amazing. Give it 5 minutes once you land and it just works!
I went to Australia, New Zealand, and Honolulu this summer and was the only person with service for most of the trip. My son, on T-Mobile, would show a connection but couldn't place a call or use data; I made a hot-spot and he connected through me the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We just went to Munich, Venice, and a layover in London for 7 hours and I had service the entire time. I was amazed at how good it was. Even in the middle of Oktoberfest with the huge crowds I didn't have any issues with poor connection like I usually have in the states.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

couldcareless posted:

We just went to Munich, Venice, and a layover in London for 7 hours and I had service the entire time. I was amazed at how good it was. Even in the middle of Oktoberfest with the huge crowds I didn't have any issues with poor connection like I usually have in the states.

Just to add on, I'm routinely in London, Frankfurt, Copenhagen/Malmo, and Tallinn (Estonia) and Fi just works.

I would be on some cheap prepay plan otherwise. And I will be as soon as I'm not traveling like this for work anymore.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It was great in Canada too. Fi via T-Mobile was better than when I went to a place south of San Diego on actual T-Mobile and it kept popping up a thing about how I'd entered Mexico and didn't have data access; in Canada and even bumfuck BC it just worked.

Fi definitely sucks, but them introducing the unlimited plan has pulled me back from bailing for vzn yet.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

Javid posted:

It was great in Canada too. Fi via T-Mobile was better than when I went to a place south of San Diego on actual T-Mobile and it kept popping up a thing about how I'd entered Mexico and didn't have data access; in Canada and even bumfuck BC it just worked.

Fi definitely sucks, but them introducing the unlimited plan has pulled me back from bailing for vzn yet.

Why does Fi suck? I've been on it from the beginning, must be a couple years now, and I've never had a single issue. Except when I work in the boonies sometimes and ATT or Verizon are the only companies with signal but hey

Honestly the thing I like most is how brutally simple account management and the app are. Big carriers are just too full of bullshit and I love the simplicity of everything.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Is hangouts dying for regular people this month? What do I switch to? I'm old and can't keep up with this poo poo.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

torturemyballs posted:

Why does Fi suck? I've been on it from the beginning, must be a couple years now, and I've never had a single issue. Except when I work in the boonies sometimes and ATT or Verizon are the only companies with signal but hey

Honestly the thing I like most is how brutally simple account management and the app are. Big carriers are just too full of bullshit and I love the simplicity of everything.

Mostly their actively terrible support. If things are working and you don't mess with them you're usually safe, but if anything breaks and you have to get human eyes on it, expect to lose days in their anti-user cycle of scripts and "the department that does that isn't reachable by [method you're using to talk to them]" and them flat out lying and saying they fixed a thing to get you to go away. I have had these idiots make claims that violate the laws of relativity, and stand by them when that was pointed out. They don't give a single poo poo about helping you at all.

The best way to get actual support on anything involves filing a ticket with a dude on Reddit (who doesn't even work for Google), who is tight with somebody higher up in the support department who MIGHT actually help you, maybe

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

fknlo posted:

Is hangouts dying for regular people this month? What do I switch to? I'm old and can't keep up with this poo poo.

poo poo, forgot about that. How am I going to leave my Gmail window open at work and talk to my friends all day?

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

Javid posted:

Mostly their actively terrible support. If things are working and you don't mess with them you're usually safe, but if anything breaks and you have to get human eyes on it, expect to lose days in their anti-user cycle of scripts and "the department that does that isn't reachable by [method you're using to talk to them]" and them flat out lying and saying they fixed a thing to get you to go away. I have had these idiots make claims that violate the laws of relativity, and stand by them when that was pointed out. They don't give a single poo poo about helping you at all.

The best way to get actual support on anything involves filing a ticket with a dude on Reddit (who doesn't even work for Google), who is tight with somebody higher up in the support department who MIGHT actually help you, maybe

Oh I didn't know their customer service sucked so much.....drat.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

poo poo, forgot about that. How am I going to leave my Gmail window open at work and talk to my friends all day?

It's apparently not being killed until sometime next year. So maybe there will be a replacement? I'm giving Messages a try right now. Being able to text people in 30 different ways on all my computers and devices is by far my favorite thing about hangouts though.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Javid posted:

Yeah, as long as it works its great, but if something doesn't work and can't be easily fixed you're hosed. Like I went to iceland recently and everything worked fine for the first day and after that I couldn't make any calls to local numbers, only numbers not in Iceland worked, after spending days with support and never getting anywhere, I was pretty much told I was hosed and they couldn't fix it so sucks to be me.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

fknlo posted:

It's apparently not being killed until sometime next year. So maybe there will be a replacement? I'm giving Messages a try right now. Being able to text people in 30 different ways on all my computers and devices is by far my favorite thing about hangouts though.
They're not retiring Hangouts for Fi, right? Just for the people who haven't turned their entire life over to Google?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I swapped to the $70/mo plan because I'm around 4-5GB/mo anyway and I'm looking at picking up a few more devices that I would want to use my phone as a hotspot for.

I don't do much video streaming, but it'll be nice to be able to be able to work on the road or while I'm at camp.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

fknlo posted:

try https://messages.google.com

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thanatosian posted:

They're not retiring Hangouts for Fi, right? Just for the people who haven't turned their entire life over to Google?

The apparent plan is to kill it for everyone and maybe have some sort of replacement for it? It was supposed to be dead for non-GSuite customers this month but they pushed it back.

I'm giving this a try now. It's nowhere near as good on my desktop as hangouts, but it works.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
How easy is it to leave Fi, grab a different phone and keep my number I've had forever? I've been doing a lot of traveling and driving and streaming music and maps has been tripling my bill. I like how easy Fi is for billing and stuff but the data is so expensive.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
There's a porting procedure that I didn't know about, but was a snap once I learned. It's a couple of clicks.

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6079398?hl=en

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Awesome thanks!

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

BrownieVK posted:

Awesome thanks!

You know there is an "unlimited" plan for 70 a month now right? Just checking!!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

torturemyballs posted:

You know there is an "unlimited" plan for 70 a month now right? Just checking!!

Honestly unless you are doing a lot of international travel the spectrum / cox whatever unlimited plans for $45 a month are a much better deal.

For international though FI absolutely wins.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Does Fi do deprioritization/throttling of data when there’s network congestion right from the start? I’d be using it with an iPhone if it makes a difference.

I’ve had Visible for a few months, and while I love the price and the ease of billing, it is endlessly frustrating when I’m in an area with full bars and still can’t get any service just cause it’s crowded. Probably doesn’t help that I’m in NYC.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Does Fi do deprioritization/throttling of data when there’s network congestion right from the start? I’d be using it with an iPhone if it makes a difference.

You're not gonna want to do that.

If it's not a fi compatible phone you're just stuck on tmo, unless something has changed since I last checked.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Motronic posted:

You're not gonna want to do that.

If it's not a fi compatible phone you're just stuck on tmo, unless something has changed since I last checked.

Yeah, I know this. I’m basically looking at it as an MVNO that uses T-Mobile’s network. In theory, I’m ok with this, as long as they don’t deprioritize you from day one. If they DO, I’ll probably just call it quits and switch back to regular old Verizon. It’ll be more expensive, but at least I’ll know I’ll be able to count on having a connection wherever/whenever I need it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yeah, I know this. I’m basically looking at it as an MVNO that uses T-Mobile’s network. In theory, I’m ok with this, as long as they don’t deprioritize you from day one. If they DO, I’ll probably just call it quits and switch back to regular old Verizon. It’ll be more expensive, but at least I’ll know I’ll be able to count on having a connection wherever/whenever I need it.

If you're just looking for a T-Mo MVNO, you should just get Mint Mobile.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Takoluka posted:

If you're just looking for a T-Mo MVNO, you should just get Mint Mobile.

I’m not specifically looking for a T-Mo MVNO. I’m interested in Google Fi because I’m not a super heavy data user AND I like the flexibility/ease it offers for international travel. But I don’t want that flexibility to come at the expense of my day to day usage.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’m not specifically looking for a T-Mo MVNO. I’m interested in Google Fi because I’m not a super heavy data user AND I like the flexibility/ease it offers for international travel. But I don’t want that flexibility to come at the expense of my day to day usage.

Similar use case here (though I'm living near Seattle). The only thing I really miss from T-Mo is music streaming not counting towards my data. I'm still saving money, but there's that split second hesitation when I go to listen to music in the car.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Using a Pixel 3a with dual SIMS and it's freaking awesome. My Malaysian SIM ran out of roaming data and I didn't feel like topping up for the 5 more hours I'd be in Singapore. Flipped over to Fi data in thirty seconds. Magic! Then once back in Malaysia I was able to use my Fi data to buy more Malaysian credit. Seems silly to go back and forth, but it's about $1-2/GB with a local SIM.

Related, it sounds like Google is experimenting with dualing Fi SIMS so it can fast switch between Fi carriers seamlessly without momentary loss.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/10/google-fi-will-soon-connect-you-to-two-lte-networks-at-once/

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It'd be cool if fi charged you local rates for international data, perhaps with a small premium for the day that google has to do international billing. I was in Singapore this year and was definitely jealous of the local data rates.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It'd be cool if fi charged you local rates for international data, perhaps with a small premium for the day that google has to do international billing. I was in Singapore this year and was definitely jealous of the local data rates.

That's not super realistic. They are offering a blended rate that is likely based on their average costs + profit margin. Just because they work on SingTel doesn't mean they even have a direct relationship with them, and likely are just paying another carrier that has a roaming agreement with them.

International roaming gets very complicated very quickly, and then you have to start discussing who's paying for the IPX/GRX backhaul, who's doing the internet breakout, etc.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Honestly the fact that it just works whenever I go abroad, and I have the same phone number, and am paying the same prices I would be at home anyway, is the coolest and goodest thing about Fi. If I wanted local rates I'd just pop a local SIM into my (currently empty) physical SIM slot.

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost
Started having problems with the Google fi VPN recently. I'm on a pixel 2 and Android 10, and everything was working fine until yesterday. Now it seems like the vpn isn't working. Most sites are ok but ones blocked by the wifi I'm on are still blocked when I enable vpn, while they loaded fine through the vpn last week. Searched and I don't have data saver on, and I tried clearing the fi settings and cache. Any thoughts?

The Vikings fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 29, 2019

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone else having like, default app opening issues? I swear I've told my phone ten times to loving open Instagram links in Instagram.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Johnny Truant posted:

Anyone else having like, default app opening issues? I swear I've told my phone ten times to loving open Instagram links in Instagram.

I think it resets those every time the app updates, but Yes, Motherfucker, I Want To Open Instagram Links In Instagram, God drat.

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");
starting sometime today, messages is now my default SMS app, and it doesn't look like i can change this in settings anymore. anyone else see this?

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

nine16thsdago posted:

starting sometime today, messages is now my default SMS app, and it doesn't look like i can change this in settings anymore. anyone else see this?

It's not settings/apps and notifications>>advanced? Or is there no option to pick a default sms app after home and phone?

MajesticTrout
Apr 23, 2006

nine16thsdago posted:

I had the same thing this afternoon. New messages were getting delivered into Messenger, but I could still send from Hangouts. Cycling in and out of airplane mode fixed it.

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");

Tanith posted:

It's not settings/apps and notifications>>advanced? Or is there no option to pick a default sms app after home and phone?

that option appeared to have gone away on my pixel 3. this thread has some info:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GoogleFi/comments/dsl706/hangouts_no_longer_available_as_default_sms_app/

the steps listed by /u/networkm0nkey in that thread brought the option back.

ETA:

here's another goofy thing. i had homeassistant emailing certain messages to the fi sms gateway for almost a year. that previously always went to messages, no matter what i tried. after completing the above steps, they're now going to hangouts.

nine16thsdago fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 7, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My stepdaughter's phone has suddenly stopped receiving group messages and picture messages. She can send just fine but when I send her a picture, nothing shows up, not even the download icon. We use MMGuardian as the default messages app and it hasn't had a problem before. I've checked every setting I can and it's getting pretty frustating. Storage has 27% free, auto download MMS is on, auto download while roaming is on, cleared the cache on the messaging app, powered off and on again.

Edit: Alright disabling the MMGuardian messaging app worked but that's obviously not ideal.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 11, 2019

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Sounds like a crap app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, that app is gross.