Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mr.Radar posted:

And who decided the best place for a floor vent was right in front of the sink? Better hope it never springs a leak...

Right exactly in the one spot in that whole room you'd want to put a rug.

Not to mention that you now get to rust out your ductwork by mopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

lovely photos probably help realtors more than it hurts them.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I mean, that can't really be a floor vent, can it? Would anyone really be that stupid? It has to just be a really ugly floor drain... right?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I wonder if it's like Nigerian Prince scams where the emails are full of spelling and grammar errors because they want to quickly eliminate people smart enough to see through the scam.

(looks at lovely low res photo of lovely house) "Honey, this looks gorgeous! Let's set up an appointment right away!"

null_pointer fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 22, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

One of the "photos" on the listing for the house I bought was literally drawn in MS Paint.

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Thanks to google images search:

1426 Springbrook Drive, Kenova, WV 25530 Listed for $589,900

I like the kitchen, nice and roomy.

After 6 months of living in this house, I would never live in or even near anything circular ever again. Square house on a square block driving a squared off car. Maybe one of those little Cube cars. Ugh. Just looking at it is irritating.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I can just imagine the expression on the kitchen contractor who first came in to take a look at where the cabinets and counters were supposed to go.

Take all your regular rates and multiply by 3.14

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

canyoneer posted:

This ^^^^ This is good.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I like to imagine the countertop is one single piece and they had to figure out a way to get it in place by twisting it back and forth around every single doorway and window in the entire house.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

canyoneer posted:

I can just imagine the expression on the kitchen contractor who first came in to take a look at where the cabinets and counters were supposed to go.

:eyepop:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Infamous and much beloved terrible bridge is going to be retrofitted to be less dangerous, deeply saddening much of the internet

https://twitter.com/movesafedurham/status/1185299121030217729?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvxDhgDjVCA

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
11 foot 8, I will remember you.

deoju fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 22, 2019

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

This is so perfect. My tear ducts salute you sir.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Infamous and much beloved terrible bridge is going to be retrofitted to be less dangerous, deeply saddening much of the internet

The part that shocks me is that project is only $500k. Meanwhile LA Metro can't seem to add a light rail track for under $50million/mile along existing rail right of way.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I volunteer at this cat shelter that was previously a Knights of Columbus dance hall. There are all these weird little closets and oddly shaped rooms, and a number of crappy constructions, but this is my favorite. Sure, I'll stick my whole arm in a hole to switch the lights off. It's just so loving stupid.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
"actually these architectural flourishes are perfect" - cat

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
That pussy likes it with the lights on :quagmire:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I volunteer at this cat shelter that was previously a Knights of Columbus dance hall. There are all these weird little closets and oddly shaped rooms, and a number of crappy constructions, but this is my favorite. Sure, I'll stick my whole arm in a hole to switch the lights off. It's just so loving stupid.

I used to work in a cell phone store that was in an odd round building, and the basement had several weirdly shaped small rooms/closets.

Apparently, at one point it was a strip club, and those little rooms were part of why it got shut down.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

wesleywillis posted:

Continuous heat treatment.

I like the part where you reach for a knife, it burns your hand, you drop it reflexively, then it cuts off your toes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

TVs Ian posted:

I used to work in a cell phone store that was in an odd round building, and the basement had several weirdly shaped small rooms/closets.

Apparently, at one point it was a strip club, and those little rooms were part of why it got shut down.

Sex dungeons?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Indiana Jones and the temple of Maine Coons

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Fig.1 Drugs are missing.
Fig.2 Cat guards the drugs.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Glumslinger posted:

Yes!

Now 3m80cm bridge will reign supreme!
https://howmanydayssincebayswaterbridgehasbeenhit.com

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

By popular demand posted:

Fig.1 Drugs are missing.

:catdrugs:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

By popular demand posted:

Fig.1 Drugs are missing.

:catdrugs:

efb

If you did it on purpose the cats would never go into it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wall cat is watching you trip.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

So wait, what's it look like on the other side? Is the whole thing a hollow pillar just to make space for that one reach-in, rather than just making a ceiling-to-floor gap, or is there just a lump sticking into the next room to provide access for it?

My best guess as to the "why" of this is that it was originally one large room split into two, and the one room still needed access to the old light switches.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I think the other side may be part of the men's bathroom? Or maybe just another storage room. If I remember, I'll check when I go in on Saturday.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The door opens into a broom closet lit by a bare bulb with swinging chain that's completely empty and featureless except for an angular protrusion in the wall. A cat is sitting on the protrusion.

HelloIAmYourHeart: well I don't know what I expected.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://www.reddit.com/r/gardening/comments/cxk31q/built_a_greenhouse/

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

hang on is that open at the top

is there just... a gap between the .. corrugated clear plastic sheeting? and the walls? Wouldn't that be bad for a greenhouse?

edit: more gaps

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
:siren: New challenger approaching!

https://www.reddit.com/r/gardening/comments/cinhfu/converted_my_old_shed_into_a_greenhouse/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

that one seems fine?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Zereth posted:

is there just... a gap between the .. corrugated clear plastic sheeting? and the walls? Wouldn't that be bad for a greenhouse?

edit: more gaps

Are there even any nails or screws in that thing? It looks like the whole thing is just stacked on top of each other in an incredibly rickety way. What the gently caress.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Synthbuttrange posted:

that one seems fine?

Without solid walls, it lacks lateral support.

The wood is rotten to the point where feet go through the floor, but OP knows that.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 24, 2019

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

quote:

Long term that's the plan, but as I said elsewhere in the thread, the entire structure is rotten all along the bottom, so I'm not going to put in a ton of effort right now to make it perfect. I'm just going to use it like this until it inevitably collapses (I'm thinking 2-3 years tops) and then rebuild a proper greenhouse on the foundation.

The reason it's so rotten is that the previous owner had poured a concrete foundation around the base of the shed, and everywhere the wood touched the concrete it rotted. My foot goes through the floor in places.

may want to take care of the floor issues before you start building dude.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zereth posted:

Not necessarily, it depends what you're doing. If you're using to hold your seedlings for a few weeks before they go in the ground a leaky cold frame is fine -- even a leaky glass box will stay a few degrees warmer than outside. If you use it all summer the ventilation would actually be good and necessary to prevent it getting too hot and humid in midsummer. OTOH if you're trying to grow hothouse tomatoes in winter it could be real bad.

Also depends on where. A leaky greenhouse may be able to keep daytime temps 5-10 degrees above ambient. If you're in the pacific northwest that could be a very useful greenhouse shanty, assuming it doesn't fall over. But if you're in places like Minnesota or most of Canada it's going to be dang near useless at least half the year.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The OP lives in Tulsa.

Maybe it’s useful as a season extender.

I don’t know that it’ll help overwinter any plants. Are there many that balk at negative fifteen Celsius that don’t at negative ten?

It’ll get warm enough to bake anything in the summer and the accidental ventilation doesn’t change that.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

*raids "FREE WOOD SCRAPS bin outside of lumber yard*

:catstare:

I'm the lone 2x4 stud, sitting straight in the dirt.

This is, comparatively, a paragon of structural integrity.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

loadbearing windows