Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this galaxy brain idea is a february election that labour are sure to win so can then get their soft brexit

https://twitter.com/skwawkbox/status/1186683337387266048?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Bape Culture posted:

Oh I thought the amendment meant running the clock down didn’t result in default no deal. Doh

the amendment basically forced Johnson to request an extension - he was trying to get around it by presenting a deal (so no need to extend according to the Benn act) but the motion got amended and passed as "we've seen it but we're not accepting it until the actual implementing legislation is passed" so he still had to request one, and the deadline was that night. By getting an extension the Oct 31 deadline (and any crash out) would be pushed back

They tried to hold that vote again on Monday so they could cancel the letter, but Bercow said nope it's done with, can't just re-run the same vote

What's at stake now is that if this deal passes, that's just the Withdrawal Agreement - we still need to agree a deal on the future relationship, and the deadline for that is December next year. If we don't agree a deal (and that is a real tight deadline for a free-trade agreement they usually take several years) then oopsie looks like we have "No Deal" uwu

So there are amendments in the pipeline to do things like get us in a customs union instead of negotiating a free trade agreement, and I think trying to push the deadline back. People want assurances that we won't just crash out without a deal next year and Johnson is saying "I can assure you we won't crash out because we'll get a great deal by then", SOUND FAMILIAR?!

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

BBC News depressing as always. Loads and loads on the political drama of 'will we Brexit on the 31st?!'

Absolutely zero about Johnson's deal and what it will mean for the country.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

jabby posted:

BBC News depressing as always. Loads and loads on the political drama of 'will we Brexit on the 31st?!'

Absolutely zero about Johnson's deal and what it will mean for the country.

Peter O'Hanraha hanrahan was a documentary

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

At this point I'm thinking Labour should just push for an election, and run on second referendum versus Boris' deal.

He's asked for an extension, he's going to miss his deadline, and trying to force through a referendum while forcing him to remain PM is just a ridiculous idea for so many reasons.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/labourwhips/status/1186684679396745216

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

slightly garish imo, I think a comic sans toggle next to caps lock would be enough

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
So does the EU just want the UK fully out at this point? I imagine uncertainty is unhelpful, but you'd think they'd be slyly trying to help any Remainers get one over on any Brexiters.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
So if this vote fails tonight does that clear the floor for a VONC and GE safe from no deal?

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

slightly garish imo, I think a comic sans toggle next to caps lock would be enough

Don’t share pictures of my sweet gaming keyboard

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

jabby posted:

At this point I'm thinking Labour should just push for an election, and run on second referendum versus Boris' deal.

He's asked for an extension, he's going to miss his deadline, and trying to force through a referendum while forcing him to remain PM is just a ridiculous idea for so many reasons.

Corbyn is incapable of committing to remain (or anything really ?) and that renders labour irrelevant as any GE will be all about Brexit. Or they would be irrelevant if they were not hogging the opposition benches preventing anyone genuinely opposing the Tories at the weakest and most factional they've ever been.

They are calling him the man who could have been king in Europe.

Without his utter uselessness the Tories would have been out on their ear years ago. Back when the labour party did nothing but try to topple him I thought they should get behind him and present a united front against the Tories, once that stopped he was revealed as having absolutely no front to get behind.

The perfect storm of incompetence on both sides of the house.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yvette Cooper would have got a 200 majority and we'd all be laughing on our way to the camps.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

So if this vote fails tonight does that clear the floor for a VONC and GE safe from no deal?

Not until the EU actually agrees to the January extension, or offers a counter extensiont hat's then accepted.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

jabby posted:

But still, I fear, less ridiculous than having an election in order to restart negotiations in order to have another referendum...

If Labour can’t agree on a electorally viable Brexit policy, then the only alternative is to sort out Brexit before the election. Which means not Brexiting, which means a referendum.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Corbyn is incapable of committing to remain (or anything really ?) and that renders labour irrelevant as any GE will be all about Brexit. Or they would be irrelevant if they were not hogging the opposition benches preventing anyone genuinely opposing the Tories at the weakest and most factional they've ever been.

Without his utter uselessness the Tories would have been out on their ear years ago. Back when the labour party did nothing but try to topple him I thought they should get behind him and present a united front against the Tories, once that stopped he was revealed as having absolutely no front to get behind.

How very original and refreshing. Have you met my good friend Dr. Robert (Rob) Zands, PhD?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Sourcing your quotes should be a thread rule

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

mehall posted:

Not until the EU actually agrees to the January extension, or offers a counter extensiont hat's then accepted.

I see, so Parliament has to accept the extension from the eu?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/BBCScotlandNews/status/1186666133539213318

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Brony Car posted:

So does the EU just want the UK fully out at this point? I imagine uncertainty is unhelpful, but you'd think they'd be slyly trying to help any Remainers get one over on any Brexiters.

even if there were, how d'you think "unelected eu officials seek to betray the will of our people with traitors etc" would play out in the brexit narrative? if anything it's the sort of thing might deliver the glorious independent clean break brexit

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

"This week on Who Do You Think You Are?: Charlie Kirk"

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Back when the labour party did nothing but try to topple him I thought they should get behind him and present a united front against the Tories, once that stopped

Are you posting from the future?

radmonger posted:

But still, I fear, less ridiculous than having an election in order to restart negotiations in order to have another referendum...

If Labour can’t agree on a electorally viable Brexit policy, then the only alternative is to sort out Brexit before the election. Which means not Brexiting, which means a referendum.

Labour has a Brexit policy, it's to have another referendum.

There aren't the votes to have another referendum in this parliament. Labour already did the whole 'force Johnson to remain PM' thing, it served it's purpose of forcing him to request an extension. If they try and keep him in place any longer he'll get his deal through and that'll be it. And it's a worse deal than May's.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jedit posted:

If the Withdrawal Agreement passes then we move from EU membership into the transition period. Once that happens there is literally nothing Parliament can do to stop No Deal, especially not if the Tories win a majority on the back of Getting Brexit Done.

so if a deal passes then No Deal could happen? do you even understand what words mean?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Brony Car posted:

The EU wants whatever it takes to not make this unholy mess their fault, first and foremost.

There will be extensions, as a result.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Julio Cruz posted:

so if a deal passes then No Deal could happen? do you even understand what words mean?

this deal is the withdrawal agreement, that's how we leave the EU
the next deal would be the future relationship, and Johnson wants a FTA
if we don't get one before the transition period runs out, welp

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1186629904240128000
Labour MP's, one of whom asked Corbyn to please not withdraw the whip from him today, delivering planted questions for Boris.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Julio Cruz posted:

the transition period is until december 2020. there's nothing in this prospective deal for after that, outside of the NI stuff

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

"Corbyn's so weak and useless!"

*Corbyn effortlessly sees off challengers from inside his party and not one but two Tory Prime Ministers*
*Corbyn steers the Labour party towards having a popular, exciting, forward-looking set of leftist policies*
*Corbyn helps Johnson set new records for Parliamentary vote losses*

"Ah. Well, nevertheless."

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
This thread gets very defensive whenever there is criticism of Corbyn, but despite having so many great policies, he’s also made some substantial blunders, and has been disappointing in some respects. Particularly with regard to how he’s handling Labour rebels on this issue, as well as not getting idiots like Barry ‘Modi is my BFF’ Gardiner out of the shadow cabinet.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yes but Corbyn won't make Brexit go away, which is definitely possible and not the stupidest loving concept on Earth right now.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

He's by no means perfect and has definitely made some mistakes! But acting like he's hosed up everything he's touched is even more wild than if I were to act like he's the other JC, reincarnate.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
A large part of the American Jewish community seems to think he's an anti-semite, unfortunately. I don't know if there was a better way to handle those allegations, but they have taken quite a damaging and long-lasting life of their own.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Pesmerga posted:

This thread gets very defensive whenever there is criticism of Corbyn, but despite having so many great policies, he’s also made some substantial blunders, and has been disappointing in some respects. Particularly with regard to how he’s handling Labour rebels on this issue, as well as not getting idiots like Barry ‘Modi is my BFF’ Gardiner out of the shadow cabinet.

"this issue" is literally happening right now, how can the approach be disappointing before we see the actual effect of it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

This is a terrible post.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesmerga posted:

He's made some missteps, but I'm not sure how they would have been best handled at the wheel of a broad tent that keeps shouting "we're being oppressed, this used to be a broad tent."

Brony Car posted:

A large part of the American Jewish community seems to think he's an anti-semite, unfortunately. I don't know if there was a better way to handle those allegations, but they have taken quite a damaging and long-lasting life of their own.
Fortunately the American Jewish community aren't voting in the UK elections, and contrary to what actual antisemites believe, they don't control the media with their brain beards.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lmao shut up dumbass

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Guavanaut posted:

He's made some missteps, but I'm not sure how they would have been best handled at the wheel of a broad tent that keeps shouting "we're being oppressed, this used to be a broad tent."

Fortunately the American Jewish community aren't voting in the UK elections, and contrary to what actual antisemites believe, they don't control the media with their brain beards.

I was just using that as an example of how widespread the belief that Corbyn is an anti-semite is. Jeez.

Plus, from what I've read, it looks like that's something disturbing the Labour party ranks so I wouldn't call it a non-issue.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
loving lib dem

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

He does seem unelectable because of the job the big media outlets in this country have done on him and just from seeing and listening to things people in my social circles say and that’s pretty sad. Starmer would win because he “looks professional” and everyone one over the age of 40 is thick as gently caress lol. Cool country

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brony Car posted:

I was just using that as an example of how widespread the belief that Corbyn is an anti-semite is. Jeez.

Plus, from what I've read, it looks like that's something disturbing the Labour party ranks so I wouldn't call it a non-issue.
That doesn't mean it's the case in the UK though. The USA is BFFs with Israel as long as it can sell them arms, and the right wing media will use any dirty trick to smear anyone to the left of Bush Sr., so AOC saying hello to Corbyn becomes an easy "leftist in talks with hardline antisemite"

People on the UK streets don't seem to have paid it much attention unless they both ideologically hate Labour and aren't an antisemite themselves.

^^ Anyone with his policies would be called unelectable by the UK press.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
As I said, the main criticism I have right now is with how he’s handling the wreckers in the Labour Party. That and continuing to listen to people like Ian Lavery. There are better people in the Labour Party to be advised by than him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
the noes didn't sound very robust.