Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Made what might have been my best chili ever last night,

3 onions
4 thin carrots
2 celery stalks
2 deseeded habs
4 poblanos

Sweated that, took it out the brown pieces of chuck, maybe a pound? cut into planks. Took that out after a sear and cubed it, added the veg back, then

Worcester sauce and white wine to deglaze, thyme, a bunch of cumin, chile de arbol
1 pound kidney beans

All in the pressure cooker for 55 minutes

The added in tomato paste, like half a can, then simmered down for 10 minutes or so.

Man idk what popped, maybe just good onions? But it's pretty fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
carrots and celery

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Are you from Europe?

Like, it sounds like it would taste good, but that's not chili, son.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

carrots and celery

Do you not know how to make soups and stews? A mire poix is always the base.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tezcatlipoca posted:

No, it's not. Especially in the case of chili.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

celery is a natural source of nitrates which helps build flavour, not sure why everyone is going "ew its green"

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

No, it's not. Especially in the case of chili.

I'll gladly ignore your bad opinion.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
It's used when you make your own beef stock and not retained. Otherwise if you're adding carrot and celery to the finished product, you've made a spicy beef stew

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

All the world is not France, my son.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
That sounds good and idk why people are objecting. Flavor is flavor. Who cares if it's not a Texas bowl of red. Chili is just a stew anyway.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

gwrtheyrn posted:

It's used when you make your own beef stock and not retained. Otherwise if you're adding carrot and celery to the finished product, you've made a spicy beef stew

Well put.

It's not a question about whether it tastes good. While people will argue about things like beans and tomatoes, there are several elements which differentiate chili from other beef stews. A lack of vegetables in the final dish is definitely one of them.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That sounds good and idk why people are objecting. Flavor is flavor. Who cares if it's not a Texas bowl of red. Chili is just a stew anyway.
Why call it chili if all you're making is a spicy stew.

Like I'm all for loving with recipes and I'm not super invested in this particular change, but there's a point when a change becomes something else entirely. Like, if I'm making gumbo, but I make it a bit more watery, and I throw in a bunch of rice while cooking instead of waiting after, I've made jambalaya. Not gumbo.

This isn't like a ONE TRUE HUMMUS deal; chili has a fuckload of variants, and they're all real good. It's just that the first point I'd say you can make a change that changes the nature of the recipe is whether or not you used a mirepoix - if you did, congrats on your delicious stew, but it's no more chili than a menemen is a shakshuka

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well put.

It's not a question about whether it tastes good. While people will argue about things like beans and tomatoes, there are several elements which differentiate chili from other beef stews. A lack of vegetables in the final dish is definitely one of them.

That isn't true and you sound like you got all your ideas about chili from a white dude. First of all, you aren't making a roux with chili so that separates it already. Then there's all those chilis.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That isn't true and you sound like you got all your ideas about chili from a white dude.

The gently caress is this?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

The gently caress is this?

Every Mexican I've seen making chili adds a mire poix of some kind so their stew doesn't taste bland and flat. I live in Texas and have been subjected to many terrible chilis made by middle aged white dudes who couldn't layer flavors if their lives depended on it. Sounds like y'all are part of the latter group.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 22, 2019

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Every Mexican I've seen making chili adds a mire poix of some kind so their stew doesn't taste bland and flat. I live in Texas and have been subjected to many terrible chilis made by middle aged white dudes who couldn't layer flavors if their lives depended on it. Sounds like y'all are part of the latter group.

You have absolutely no idea what the gently caress you are talking about. Like, I don't even know where to start.

Edit: Sorry, in a lovely mood due to some pain management issues, so being shittier than I intend to. My apologies for not being more constructive.

Skipping right past the fact that chili as we know it was invented by a white dude who traveled to the southwest...

Yes, lovely chili is lovely. I can't speak to what you have had and explain why those were lovely. You can quite easily get depth of flavor without mire poix. You get depth of flavor through browned meat(s), onions, garlic, a variety of toasted chilies, Mexican oregano, toasted cumin, and flavorful liquid.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 22, 2019

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

Skipping right past the fact that chili as we know it was invented by a white dude who traveled to the southwest...

This is just laughable.

Like, mindnumbingly racist and stupid.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This is just laughable.

Like, mindnumbingly racist and stupid.

I am sorry that literal recorded history upsets you. I assume that we are not going to see eye to eye on this one ever, so I'mma let people get back to hopefully posting chili that they made.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

I am sorry that literal recorded history upsets you. I assume that we are not going to see eye to eye on this one ever, so I'mma let people get back to hopefully posting chili that they made.
recorded where?
Chili originated in southern Texas, circa 1731.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This is just laughable.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
please dont poo poo up this thread it's a good thread i dont want it to get gassed

here's an old album I put together. carrot/celery goes into my stock, not the chili itself. https://imgur.com/a/TBhxJhO

I won again this year using similar recipe but with pork bones added to the stock and sans tomato

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 22, 2019

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Whelp, I was just excited I made something I thought was delicious and had been called chili all my life, my mom definitely had carrots in the one she made for us growing up, so take it up with her.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Carillon posted:

Whelp, I was just excited I made something I thought was delicious and had been called chili all my life, my mom definitely had carrots in the one she made for us growing up, so take it up with her.

never mind the peanut gallery, if it's got meat and chili peppers in it it counts.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ranter posted:

please dont poo poo up this thread it's a good thread i dont want it to get gassed

here's an old album I put together. carrot/celery goes into my stock, not the chili itself. https://imgur.com/a/TBhxJhO

I won again this year using similar recipe but with pork bones added to the stock and sans tomato

That looks delicious. Did you cook finish it off in the Instapot?

Carillon posted:

I apologize for my part in the derail. You made good food and you're happy about it. Take some pictures next time!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

I bet you also think Columbus discovered America and breakfast tacos were invented in San Antonio.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Can you just drop it? I would go read dnd or r/politics if i wanted to go watch people call each other racists or whatever. Call whatever you make whatever you want, but I'm not obligated to agree with you and neither are you obligated to agree with me.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

gwrtheyrn posted:

Can you just drop it? I would go read dnd or r/politics if i wanted to go watch people call each other racists or whatever. Call whatever you make whatever you want, but I'm not obligated to agree with you and neither are you obligated to agree with me.

Stop perpetuating racist myths about white people inventing everything and I won't call it out. It's very simple.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Is chili a sandwich?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Junkie Disease posted:

Is chili a sandwich?

It's a condiment for sandwiches.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Stop perpetuating racist myths about white people inventing everything and I won't call it out. It's very simple.

I did nothing of the sort and i still don't want to read you argue about especially since you were already beaten to the punch in a much more reasonable manner

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Aren't you the same guy who was insisting earlier that all soups and stews start with mirepoix?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

marshalljim posted:

Aren't you the same guy who was insisting earlier that all soups and stews start with mirepoix?

Not all, just the good ones. Creole food uses onions, celery and bell pepper; parts of Asia use garlic, onions and ginger; for chili I've seen people do onions, celery and chilis or onions celery and tomatoes. It is the base for so many dishes, not just stews and soups, that I'm baffled so many of you are clueless about it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
mirepoix != holy trinity

please stfu

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That looks delicious. Did you cook finish it off in the Instapot?

Nah I always make competition chili in the enameled dutch oven. If I'm making a small enough batch, I'll do stock in the IP but even the big IP is too small for my meaty stock purposes.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 22, 2019

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Ranter posted:

mirepoix != holy trinity

Yes, it does. Sorry there are regional differences? Oh my bad can I only call certain things sofrito?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

How do people use canned chipotle in adobo? I assume it's a fools errand to try to get rid of the seeds and usually just toss the entire can into a blender. I certainly wouldn't mind being able to get rid of the seeds if there was a way to do so easily, but usually the seeds are already out of the peppers themselves and inside the sauce. Maybe put it through a strainer or something?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Are they making your chili bitter? You'd have to use a lot for that to happen. I'd say don't bother with it since the seeds aren't spicy and won't be a huge part of the dish.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I forget which brand, but there are some that are already de-seeded. I posted about it a couple pages back. Let me dig it up.

Ranter posted:

I think it's San Marcos that don't de-seed theirs, though. Whereas the orange brand with the senorita are de-seeded. Not saying this is good or bad, but the lazy in me prefers the latter.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Main reason I want to get rid of it is because of texture. Sounds like I should just buy a different brand because yes I too am lazy

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Making an all-bean chili later today, pretty excited.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yes, it does. Sorry there are regional differences? Oh my bad can I only call certain things sofrito?

To most of us, mirepoix specifically means onion, celery and carrot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Making an all-bean chili later today, pretty excited.

What kinda beans are you using?