Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

user accounts are hardcoded into the kernel. in order to add a new user, you have to edit the kernel source and recompile.

literally all config files for anything replaced by one monolithic .h file full of #defines. extremely performant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
there is an upper limit to the number of user accounts YOSOS will support, but this is not mentioned or defined in the documentation. exceeding this limit will result in unpredictable behavior.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
do NOT post the number in this thread, or anywhere!!!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

jimmyjams posted:

all ui elements are written in javascript. and max out the cpu at 100% any time they are resized or adjusted

gnome 3 already exists, we’re trying to make something original here

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
you can use either / or \ as path separators

// and \\ are escape sequences that let you include a / or a \ in a filename or directory name

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
/etc replaced by /etsy

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
pressing the power button closes all programs and displays "it is now safe to turn off your computer". to complete the shutdown process, you must unplug the cord from the wall

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
the monitor automatically turns itself off whenever you type a phrase that could be humorously interpreted as referring to your reflection

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

do NOT post the number in this thread, or anywhere!!!

Changing User variable in the login defines can change this number and it no longer hardlocks

However going past 3 or less than 1 causes some strange behavior

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

jimmyjams posted:

pressing the power button closes all programs and displays "its not safe to turn of you’re computer". to complete the shutdown process, you must unplug the cord from the wall

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
supports multiprocessing by running the OS simultaneously on each CPU in a multiprocessor machine

keystrokes let you switch I/O between CPUs, but they switch all I/O (peripherals are entirely shared), anything trying to do I/O without being the current CPU might time out and get an error

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Soricidus posted:

the monitor automatically turns itself off whenever you type a phrase that could be humorously interpreted as referring to your reflection

the screen comes in extra glossy glass so the users dour and fat visage is omnipresent

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

rotor posted:

/etc replaced by /etsy

in-app purchases of handcrafted, artisinal config files. each one is a labor of love and thus, is not editable by the end user.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also most of the conf files are drop shipped from china

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
a change to a config requires finding a suitable artisan and having an honest discussion about vision, goals, budget, and timetable. the prized config files of a tortured soul, product of a laudanum-fueled binge, carefully husbanded to allow you to use a static ip address

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

single HP-IB port also used for local network

all peripherals are shared among all systems

hope nobody else is using that plotter

hope the filesystem is properly transactional

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

it is because the filesystem is actually an mssql server in azure shared by all installations

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

clicking with the mouse requires standing up and yelling McDonalds

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

"what if i want to remove a user?"

user account removal is not supported by YOSOS

changing the name of a user actually just makes a new user with the new name, keeping the old one

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neslepaks posted:

it is because the filesystem is actually an mssql server in azure shared by all installations

further to this, much like there is only one conscioussness, there is actually only one filesystem, shared by every user. different users are sandboxed sure, but one giant cloud based filesystem for all

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
the cloud filesystem in question is a thread on yospos with posts containing the data in base64

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the file system browser is based on minesweeper, and does the solitaire end animation when you delete a file

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zlodo posted:

the cloud filesystem in question is a thread on yospos with posts containing the data in base64

:argh: lowtax :argh:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

the screen comes in extra glossy glass so the users dour and fat visage is omnipresent

the curved screen on the flagship accidentally acted like a lens in one case, concentrating all the glare from one users greasy chest into a point in his left retina and how that person can only see from one eye

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the high price of the cloud subscription largely goes toward keeping the air force one style cloud server literally in the clouds 24/7

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
only one printer driver for an old epson dot matrix is included and if you try to install a new printer driver, you are derided at every turn by an imitation samuel l jackson calling you a mother father at every new prompt

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
the os bootloader is stored in a PCI card option PROM (for security)

you load the OS via the sound card like a C64 except it comes on a LP4 minidisc, the format of the future

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the filesystem murders your wife

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the hard drive contains platters that spin

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
there's an integrated ide with an application creation wizard with a bunch of super useful options, then it says "I'll start the project" and creates an empty project with an automatically generated todo list

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
the cloud in question is actually just another computer running yosos

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
everything in the os is distributed by default, more computer more dakka

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

plan9 is still the only good OS

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

power botton posted:

plan9 is still the only good OS

AHEM

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Bloody posted:

the hard drive contains platters that spin

imac already does this

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

with YOSOS, the platters are fixed in place and the rest of the computer spins around them

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
yosos ships with the ability to boot into "1990's mode". while in "1990's mode", all program actions are delayed by 10 seconds while the hard drive is thrashed

edit: also all network devices are limited to 56kbps

jimmyjams fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 22, 2019

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
ok team let's get some synergy

i'll set up the bzr server for our source control

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

theres also a 1980s mode where the os boots in 0.3 seconds but loading a program takes 25 minutes while the screen flashes randomly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

YOSOS BIOS: POST POST POST