Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ken chan and the duck ended. definitely my newcomer award of 2019, or whenever it was written

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A new cute-girls-doing-cute-things slice-of-life thingy has been added to baka-updates, in case anyone's interested?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new Watamote. remember when this series was all about intense cringe comedy?

well, it's back. and it brought friends.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Ah. My decision to not push through the cringe has paid off!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Actually, it's fantastic and you're really missing out.

And I was being literal with the friends thing. Now she doesn't have to be a cringefest all by herself, her friends can join in too! :3:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Because I'm Not Popular, I'm Literally Surrounded By Friends and People Who Love Me

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Ah. My decision to not push through the cringe has paid off!

it's literally just some mildly awkward jokes among her friends, it's not returning to the format of "tomoko walks outside one day and screams for four hours"

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Cringe is good, when you have friends to share it with.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Ucchi yelling about Tomoko being a gross pervert from three rows back and everyone shrugging it off is great.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
THE ULTIMATE FINAL CHAPTER OF THE LOAN SHARK MANGA JUST WENT UP

https://mangadex.org/chapter/732890/1

💕

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Seven Seas Entertainment just announced that they've licensed Love Me for What I Am (Fukakai na Boku no Subete o) by Kata Konayama; it probably counts as slice-of-life, or at least I wouldn't know where else to post about it. In any case, it's really good; certainly one of the most thoughtful explorations of queer identities I've encountered in manga (yes yes I know, not a high bar, but it's not just good about it by manga standards).

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 27, 2019

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

verbal enema posted:

THE ULTIMATE FINAL CHAPTER OF THE LOAN SHARK MANGA JUST WENT UP

https://mangadex.org/chapter/732890/1

💕

For a moment I thought you meant Yamikin Ushijima-kun and was like whoa is that what counts as SoL these days

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Carpator Diei posted:

Seven Seas Entertainment just announced that they've licensed Love Me for What I Am (Fukakai na Boku no Subete o) by Kata Konayama; it probably counts as slice-of-life, or at least I wouldn't know where else to post about it. In any case, it's really good; certainly one of the most thougtful explorations of queer identities that I've encountered in manga (yes yes I know, not a high bar, but it's not just good about it by manga standards).

It comes up in the Shoujo/Josei/Romance thread. For anyone here that hasn't checked it out, agreed that it is really good.

If you want another good queer manga, The Woman You Are And Me is great too.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Finished catching up all the way with Grand Blue Dreaming and it was loving hilarious.

Though I'm not really sure how I feel about the incredibly heavy Iori x Chisa foreshadow shipping and some of the more subtle Aina x Kouhei. It really just doesn't mesh for me well as it feels wrong. Like it's the kind of obvious sell of "First/Firstish Girl Wins". The sort of addition of romance has actually kind of soured things for me a bit because of this.

cergos
Apr 23, 2019

The hush of the night sky is the silence of a graveyard.
Do you consider Monogatari a SoL?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If we're talking about My Love Story, not really? If we're talking about Koyomi Araragi and the shenanigans that come about with him and the women in his life dabbling on the supernatural aberrations, while it does have a lot of "dicking around" that you'd associate with SoL shows, it still kinda has a lot of focus on things happening to truly feel like that.

cergos
Apr 23, 2019

Wark Say posted:

If we're talking about My Love Story, not really? If we're talking about Koyomi Araragi and the shenanigans that come about with him and the women in his life dabbling on the supernatural aberrations, while it does have a lot of "dicking around" that you'd associate with SoL shows, it still kinda has a lot of focus on things happening to truly feel like that.

That’s a pretty interesting viewpoint. I think that the type of SoL you’re mentioning is ‘iyashikei’ where there’s no focus and characters are just going about on their daily business. But imo I feel that SoL encompasses a larger subset of anime. I would categorize romcoms as technically SoL as well.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I disagree. Iyashikei translates as therapeutic, healing, or rejuvinating.
Slice of life, on the other hand, is something that depicts everyday life - in the case of Monogatari I feel like too much is happening for it to be slice of life.
A few examples: slice of life is the sort of thing you find in a lot of shoujo and josei romance like Love Com, Emma, or Bonnouji - whereas a manga like Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is the epitome of iyashikei.

EDIT: I feel like this can easily become a question of definitions, so can we at least agree that we're talking about supersets vs subsets?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 27, 2019

cergos
Apr 23, 2019

D. Ebdrup posted:

I disagree. Iyashikei translates as therapeutic, healing, or rejuvinating.
Slice of life, on the other hand, is something that depicts everyday life - in the case of Monogatari I feel like too much is happening for it to be slice of life.
A few examples: slice of life is the sort of thing you find in a lot of shoujo and josei romance like Love Com, Emma, or Bonnouji - whereas a manga like Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is the epitome of iyashikei.

EDIT: I feel like this can easily become a question of definitions, so can we at least agree that we're talking about supersets vs subsets?

Would you consider Konosuba a fantasy SoL?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Iyashikei is definitely reserved for those shows that give you them warm and fuzzy feels with uplifting stuff and whatnot.

cergos posted:

Would you consider Konosuba a fantasy SoL?
Again, kinda like with Monogatari, a lot of what the Konosuba crew gets to do feels like they're just dicking around, so I get what you say wrt feeling like "Fantasy Slice of Life", but both Kazuma and Aqua do have an objective, even if they constantly pester the poo poo out of each other.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
See You at the Food Court Tomorrow is about two highschool girls talking in the food court.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
That was pretty good! I like the "gyaru is smart and competent, just likes the style" thing you see sometimes.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Two new chapters of Watamote

167: https://mangadex.org/chapter/753127

168: https://mangadex.org/chapter/753158/1

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
The study chapter was great! Loved the Asobi Asobase reference.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Tomoki's locked into the Yoshida route now.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
I can't remember if someone mentioned this in another thread, but :shrug:
It could also go in the food thread.

Afterschool Embankment Journal

quote:

Hina is an indoor-oriented girl who likes crafts and moves to a seaside town to continue with her high school education.
She meets upperclassman Kuroiwa as she walks along an embankment and joins the mysterious "Embankment Club." Hina dislikes sea creatures, but she fishes with her fellow club members and eats their catches.

7 chapters have been uploaded in the past few weeks and there are 5 volumes so far.

This kills the octopus

Please read the manga about catching, cooking and eating sea life.

sinky fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 21, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Some idiot tagged that as ecchi and I avoided it for a while because of that. It’s good tho.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

doga kobo's doing an anime of it next year too

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Edit: wrong thread.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 22, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A small bird whispered to me that Aiura has finished being scanlated!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It was good.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
The jokes in the latest Watamote pop a little better in the World Three translation:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/755227/1

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Agronox posted:

The jokes in the latest Watamote pop a little better in the World Three translation:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/755227/1

Wonder how much eroge at this point Nemo's ended up buying because of Kuroki.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://mangadex.org/chapter/769979/1

A new Bocchi appears! ft. little snippets of all Bocchi's friends. Kakeru and Kou are my favorites.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

A new Bocchi appears! ft. little snippets of all Bocchi's friends. Kakeru and Kou are my favorites.

Nako barely gets a line, who's unfortunate now nako??

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
in today's Watamote, Kuroki does her hair.

Shenanigans threaten to ensue. Maybe they do, a little bit.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I still can't believe watamote turned into a Yuri manga

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's definitely impossible to guess, based on the seven years of doujinshi.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

kidcoelacanth posted:

I enjoy watching Bocchi's friends become more powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

D. Ebdrup posted:

It's definitely impossible to guess, based on the seven years of doujinshi.

Okay but you can see that the number of those absolutely exploded in late 2018 into 2019, right?