Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really think you could re-edit season 2 Daredevil and the Defenders into one pretty good seasons of TV instead of 1.5 bad seasons of TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I'd say all the series' had something likable and/or worthwhile about them, just each suffered with variable writing and plot quality in their own way.

I liked JJ the most when she was shown actually just being a detective who gets by with some super power poo poo to get her out of jams. I'd say it was the most consistent of the Netflix shows, but not necessarily the best overall, meaning running on all cylinders at any given point. That would probably go to Daredevil or maybe Punisher S1.

If you could combine the first half of Luke Cage S1 and the second half of S2 you'd have one amazing season of television.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

just got around to JJ s3.

Cops seemed remarkably chill about 7 dead bodies and a missing arm from their own morgue.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Vishass posted:

just got around to JJ s3.

Cops seemed remarkably chill about 7 dead bodies and a missing arm from their own morgue.
IMO they never really figured out how to write cops on any of these shows, especially since 90% of the episodes took place in Manhattan where a single small explosion ends up being national news and the actual loving army shows up any time anything major happens. Individual police were either dangerously incompetent, super corrupt or "good guys" who still committed a continuous string of felonies [but it's ok because they're helping the heroes].

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

At first I thought each first season having a corrupt cop was like some plot thread they were trying to plant throughout but nope, Iron Fist had cops as Super Good guys and I don't think we had a Bad Cop ever again after that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

notthegoatseguy posted:

At first I thought each first season having a corrupt cop was like some plot thread they were trying to plant throughout but nope, Iron Fist had cops as Super Good guys and I don't think we had a Bad Cop ever again after that.

Like every cop but one is bad in DD S3, what are you talking about.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

That one cop who spilled the beans on Fisk just happened to know all the crooked cops in the NYPD.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Hint: it’s all cops, even him.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I dunno about you folks but I'd just like to be overtly under some warlord's control.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Iron Fist's problem was taking it seriously. Every fight scene should have been ridiculous impossible Kung Fu poo poo like Pai Mai jumping on to a sword in Kill Bill. And everyone else is dumbfounded at this guy effectively using ridiculous martial arts moves in real life.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Iron Fist's problem was taking it seriously. Every fight scene should have been ridiculous impossible Kung Fu poo poo like Pai Mai jumping on to a sword in Kill Bill. And everyone else is dumbfounded at this guy effectively using ridiculous martial arts moves in real life.

Yeah, they didn't set him apart well enough. I made a dumb post that no one cares about back during defenders.

Scenario: Everyone needs to get onto a roof how do?

DD: Parkour to a ladder and run up a fire escape/ LC throws him up there.
JJ: Fly/Jump really hard onto the roof.
LC: Climb the wall by punching into it like rock climbing
IF: It should've been wire-fu or double jumping or something bizarre compared to everyone else.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They did not give a poo poo about IF and thought all you needed was a color filter to differentiate it. Rush production and you have a white doughy martial artist and that’s what you end up with.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Hopefully the Shang-Chi film will be what Iron Fist wasn't.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Cinemax's Warrior, though a period piece, does fight scenes exactly how Iron Fist should have.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hiring an actor who had never done any martial arts in his life 12 weeks before shooting to play literally the best martial artist on earth was a core cause of Iron Fist being terrible but it’s just one of dozens of bad decisions.

I agree an over the top wuxia style like Into the Badlands would have gone a long way. Also Daniel Wu should have played Danny.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I thought there was a big debate about whether IF should have been wuxia with wires or more grounded and that was why we had the initial delays?

It frustrates me so much that all they had to do to fix Iron Fist was put a mask on Danny and let the stunt actors go wild.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

But then that might be a good idea.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Now I'm a little sadder about how awful IF was. Only a little though.

I still intend to slap on JJ3 on as background noise eventually. I was able to do it with TWD, so I can proudly also ignore JJ for less time and remember to look up when she's drunk and punching stuff.

Oh god.. please tell me she at least still gets drunk and punches holes in things while yelling.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

qirex posted:

Also Daniel Wu should have played Danny.

They literally already had Lewis Tan on a shortlist for the lead. He was extremely interested, and then they cast him as a Drunken Master type for one episode. The lack of ambition or clarity on behalf of the showrunner and producers is pretty striking for Iron Fist. They honestly had no idea what they wanted the show to be, and quarter-assed their way through 13 episodes like they were a factory building a compliance car.

For all the flaws of the other Defenders series, you can't question that the creators cared about the characters or setting. But Iron Fist is a kung fu fantasy story about a white guy who doesn't know martial arts, shot like a joyless crime procedural, with a long B-plot that boils down to "inept Succession." Say what you will about the CW DC shows, but at least they understand the genre they're working in.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Jeph Loeb is apparently expected to announce he's leaving Marvel TV within the next month or so per Variety and Hollywood Reporter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I will say that the fight scenes in Iron Fist S2 were a marked improvement over season one, it just didn't quite improve enough. Even if you must keep Iron Fist grounded, he could be more entertaining to watch, a la DD's various one-take scenes. The character work also improved quite a bit, even if the villains sucked.

The tag at the end of S2 showed another way the show could've been entertaining, by having the kung fu be some hilarious cheesy CW-looking nonsense and having everyone act goofy.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Teek posted:

Jeph Loeb is apparently expected to announce he's leaving Marvel TV within the next month or so per Variety and Hollywood Reporter.

Seems pretty set. Given that he and feige don't like each other this is hardly surprising now that Kevin is his boss.

The worst part is that Loeb is also rumored to have a new top of the food chain job lined up, hopefully not in charge of some other property I care about

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/outmagazine/status/1186401212356349952

Night Nurse is bad.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hope she didn’t endorse Bernie yet this time.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I feel bad because I hear great things about Daredevil season 3 (and I even liked season 2 and parts of Defenders!)... but every time I try to start I forget how loving slow these shows are.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It's kind of funny how predictably screwed every witness against the season villain is if they come forward before the finale.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I just got around to watching a couple of these. I'm not attuned to the comics at all, but I have enjoyed Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, but the last sessons of both were definitely weaker for me.

From reading some of this thread, Iron Fist is dumb. How are the other shows? Defenders?

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 19, 2020

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I didn’t mind defenders but Sigorney Weaver is criminally underused. Punisher is pretty good for the most part. Second season of JJ is whatever. Luke Cage is alright, it has its ups and downs. DD is probably the best show. Stay away from IF god it’s bad.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Glass of Milk posted:

I just got around to watching a couple of these. I'm not attuned to the comics at all, but I have enjoyed Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, but the last sessons of both were definitely weaker for me.

From reading some of this thread, Iron Fist is dumb. How are the other shows? Defenders?

Iron Fist is REALLY bad. Insultingly so. It's second season was a lot better than it's first, which isn't saying much, but it mixed up the status quo and then got cancelled right after.

Daredevil has the best second season, I think?

Defenders.. wasn't good. It's cute, to see interact, but your mileage may vary on that one. But, a lot of it is just shot way too dark, and just so many interchangeable un-dead ninja dorks, but it never felt enough that it may overwhelm super powered people. Defenders wasn't as bad as Iron Fist though, I think? It's been a while since I've watched it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PicklePants posted:

Daredevil has the best second season, I think?

I really like the other two Jessica Jones seasons, and the Luke Cage second season, even though both are loving flawed. They're slow and there are bits where the characters are just stalling for time talking about real world bullshit like AA meetings instead of using their loving amazing super powers to thwack grunting thugs into brick walls, but then there are bits where those AA meetings end up being a hosed up drama thing that's really ridiculous but actually kind of compelling. Comic book stories are always kind of pulpy and extraordinary anyway, so this works.

The final season of Jessica Jones goes really mean in a way that can be really offputting if you have affection for a certain Patsy. I think it's so mean it's kind of amazing and compelling, but I can see why someone would absolutely not enjoy that. I did though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I will say this for all the seasons of JJ, it was committed to the exploration of the effect of trauma, and specifically abuse, on people, and how some people can rise above it, and others get subsumed by it.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

howe_sam posted:

I will say this for all the seasons of JJ, it was committed to the exploration of the effect of trauma, and specifically abuse, on people, and how some people can rise above it, and others get subsumed by it.

That's a great way to put it. I just think LC and JJ suffered from being cancelled and trying to wrap everything up at the end quickly.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
The only real iron fist action we saw was some old grainy film for 5 seconds

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Glass of Milk posted:

That's a great way to put it. I just think LC and JJ suffered from being cancelled and trying to wrap everything up at the end quickly.

Iirc, none of the shows knew they were going to be cancelled when they were making their ultimately final seasons, though my recollection of the timeline of what came out when and what got cancelled when is fuzzy. And I certainly wouldn't say LC wrapped everything up quickly, that was definitely a show that was expecting a third season. I believe Melissa Rosenberg said she was leaving JJ after the third season, so that sort of naturally had a concluding feel to it, but even there it was left fairly open to more stories.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Daredevil is probably best overall across seasons.

Iron Fist is only good if you're into watching garbage and laughing at it.

For me Defenders is even worse than Iron Fist, because it's just good enough to be a worthless fart instead of a joke.

JJ and Punisher both have terrific first seasons and letdown second seasons but never become true poo poo.

Both seasons of Luke Cage have some really goofy moments and some good moments, I think Luke Cage feels most like a comic book with writers just throwing wild poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks instead of fulfilling an overall vision like JJ.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Daredevil is the best show overall, for sure. The second season has some loving questionably low dips in quality, but even the dumb poo poo in that is still pretty fun. The first season is an incredibly good season of television that imho wastes the least time of any of the Marvel Netflix stuff. The third season was much closer to the first in terms of quality and consistency.

DD and the first season of Punisher are p much the only Marvel Netflix shows I look back fondly on to this day. Everything else I either outright disliked, or had such a wild turn in quality for me personally, or was just incredibly mediocre overall. DD I think stands the test of time as a good TV show to recommend to people devoid of its source material.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I still haven't finished the last season of Punisher.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

howe_sam posted:

I still haven't finished the last season of Punisher.

The Marvel Netflix set of shows is a rarity for me, in that I stopped watching like 3 of them. I almost always finish what I start even if it's a terrible show I hate, especially things with so few seasons lmao

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
All of the shows were way longer than they needed to be and it wasn't subtle about how badly they were padded out. Still haven't watched JJ S3, and probably never will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Andrigaar posted:

All of the shows were way longer than they needed to be and it wasn't subtle about how badly they were padded out. Still haven't watched JJ S3, and probably never will.

I think this is a charge that could be leveled at most Netflix shows in general. Rarely do I find there is enough content for thirteen one-hour (or thereabouts) episodes.