Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

redleader posted:

[TORNADO AGAIN?!?]

are tornados normal/expected at this time of year?

cold front season is storm season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

TehSaurus posted:

Does this map say that there were literally 20 tornadoes up there?

Circle is just a thunderstorm, circle with little lines means rotating mesocyclone thunderstorm (which are fairly common), the little tornado means uh tornado

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

before goons start celebrating at the tornado whisking up the wine-and-cheese crowd, if you look at the path though, it went through some (largely hispanic) working- and middle-class parts of north dallas west of preston hollow (webb chapel & walnut hill), then blew through preston hollow where the rich people live, then over into garland / richardson

DSA NPC member:

https://twitter.com/kksteffany/status/1186119356280950785

Somebody got an aerial photo as well. Super fascinating.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
yeah kind of amazing no one died, from what i can tell. can't remember a tornado tearing through a built-up part of DFW like this since that one hit downtown fort worth when i was a babby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obKV5nhMloE

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
^ that was an EF3 too

i mean, smaller ones will touch down in a suburb for 30 seconds here and there and do damage here and there, but the area is so vast that it's nothing really. don't usually see one decide to get on the ground, and stay on the ground while chewing through the burbs for 30 miles

a year ago some straight-line winds coming off a lake blew up a few houses. i think they were like "snout houses" and once the garage door in the front gave way, the winds got into the house and they imploded from the pressure. kind of a weird fluke

also hail storms. there was a bad one in fort worth in the 1990s when some freak baseball hail storm of death hit an outdoor concert and bludgeoned hundreds of people and killed some others when they went to cover in a structure (that collapsed)

it's fun when californians move here and hear really loud prairie thunder for the first time that goes like craaaaaaaaack-BOOM and the house shakes like an airburst artillery shell went off in the sky and your animals go to ground. that's why oklahoma city's basketball team is named the thunder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3Q8APBmY7k

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 09:08 on Oct 22, 2019

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

it's fun when californians move here and hear really loud prairie thunder for the first time that goes like craaaaaaaaack-BOOM and the house shakes like an airburst artillery shell went off in the sky and your animals go to ground. that's why oklahoma city's basketball team is named the thunder

love love LOVE several-hour furious prairie thunderstorms and we actually got a few this year after like a decade of piddlers

like to sit on my patio and holler at the storm gods until they toss a bolt somewhere within a half mile and I spill my drink everywhere

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

PG&E is cutting power to a big chunk of Northern California again, including areas with "sustained winds of 6 mph or greater." Lmfao.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

There really aren't that many places like the great plains in the world. Thunderstorms here have freaked out friends from Korea, central Europe and west Africa

I set up a lawn chair and ice chest in the garage

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Vox Nihili posted:

PG&E is cutting power to a big chunk of Northern California again, including areas with "sustained winds of 6 mph or greater." Lmfao.

6!?! lmao

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

i say swears online posted:

There really aren't that many places like the great plains in the world. Thunderstorms here have freaked out friends from Korea, central Europe and west Africa

I honestly say that the thing I miss about Kansas is the fact that there were thunderstorms that just go all night long out there.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

god i miss huge apocalyptic thunderstorms

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I honestly say that the thing I miss about Kansas is the fact that there were thunderstorms that just go all night long out there.

I lived in overland park one autumn and it was easily the only good thing. the suburbanites, food, music, everything else was bad

Wichita is probably way better

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

The Gary England Drinking Game

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there are a few good storm chasers on twitch

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Gary is long gone but I still occasionally steam the Oklahoma news during tornado weather bc it’s a good way to keep tabs on friends and family while getting day drunk.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Firenado is back, folks:

Helpfully, PG&E is cutting power to the area!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Vox Nihili posted:

Firenado is back, folks:

Well, yeah; it would be downright negligent to allow a firelectricnado form, after all!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Vox Nihili posted:

Firenado is back, folks:

Crossposting

The Glumslinger posted:

In the continuing saga of PG&E attempts to burn down all of northern California, we have a new entry

https://twitter.com/TarynLuna/status/1187511155960336389

But whats that you ask? Didn't PG&E turn off power to 100s of thousands to prevent these kind of issues? And wasn't the area where this fire started in that range?

Why yes, it was. They turned off all of the low voltage distribution lines in the area. AND KEPT THE loving HIGH VOLTAGE POWERLINES GOING

https://www.sfchronicle.com/california-wildfires/article/PG-E-says-high-voltage-lines-were-still-on-when-14560113.php

quote:

Hours before the fire broke out east of Geyserville, PG&E had shut off its low-voltage distribution lines in that area as it put nearly 28,000 Sonoma County homes and businesses in the dark in order to prevent its equipment from starting a fire in extreme winds.

But PG&E did not turn off its 230,000-volt and 115,000-volt transmission lines in the area, the company said. Transmission lines carry electricity at high voltages across long distances before the power is stepped down at a substation and delivered to homes via distribution lines.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

PG&E only cut power to the distribution lines, they left the transmission lines running, and the transmission lines started the fire this time. So no one in the area had power and PG&E still started a fire anyway

https://www.sfchronicle.com/california-wildfires/article/PG-E-says-high-voltage-lines-were-still-on-when-14560113.php

Because PG&E is currently in bankruptcy, all liability for this fire has to be paid out before the bankruptcy claims can be paid out. So the people who are suing over the loss of life and property in the 2017 PG&E fires and 2018 PG&E fires that caused PG&E to declare bankruptcy in the first place may wind up screwed

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

owns

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
There's video of it starting, too.
https://www.sfgate.com/california-wildfires/article/Kincade-Fire-ignition-point-sonoma-wildfire-14559989.php
The instant it happened, everyone in the county lost power for less than a second.
This weekend is supposed to have ever worse winds, and I'm gathering my rakes.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

There's video of it starting, too.
https://www.sfgate.com/california-wildfires/article/Kincade-Fire-ignition-point-sonoma-wildfire-14559989.php
The instant it happened, everyone in the county lost power for less than a second.
This weekend is supposed to have ever worse winds, and I'm gathering my rakes.

ya it was pretty creepy.

i think my exact words were, "loving PG&E, here we go again"

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I hope this doesn't harm poor innocent Alabama :ohdear:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
s -> d

hehehe

large oblate cat
Jul 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/SonomaScanner/status/1188276129016082433?s=19

Horrifying

Edit; fire car
https://twitter.com/LALATE/status/1188532433529950208?s=19

large oblate cat has issued a correction as of 22:00 on Oct 27, 2019

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Guillotine every PG&E employee.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Close to 200,000 Northern California residents, many of them left in the dark by a third power shutdown in a month, have been ordered to leave their homes as historic winds fueled an explosion of wildfires in the San Francisco Bay Area.

The state’s largest utility, Pacific Gas & Electric, shut off power to an estimated 2.3 million people across 38 counties starting Saturday evening in an effort to avoid having its equipment spark fires amid dry conditions and powerful winds.

A similar precautionary move did not prevent the Kincade Fire from igniting late Wednesday, and early indications point to malfunctioning PG&E equipment as the cause of it.

On Sunday afternoon, PG&E announced it's monitoring another dry-wind event that could trigger yet another power outage Tuesday and Wednesday, the third such blackout in a week and fourth in October. Up to 32 counties in Northern California could be affected.

The blaze has now grown to 30,000 acres and was only 10% contained as of Sunday morning, forcing authorities to impose mandatory evacuations for 180,000 residents in Sonoma County, best known for its wine production.

Flames also flared on both sides of Interstate 80 near the Carquinez Bridge in Vallejo, 20 miles north of Oakland, forcing the freeway to be shut down in both directions and the nearby California State University Maritime Academy to be evacuated.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Lol there always has to be some lady saying poo poo like "oh my gawwwwwwd. There's a fire. Oh no. It's a fire. Wow!"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Close to 200,000 Northern California residents, many of them left in the dark by a third power shutdown in a month, have been ordered to leave their homes as historic winds fueled an explosion of wildfires in the San Francisco Bay Area.

lmao when you leave on PGE equipment it starts fires.

When they turned it off in a half-rear end way it also started fires.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PG&E: Ok our high voltage lines cause fires, lets shut off all the low voltage lines
*high voltage lines start more fires*

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/Millicentsomer/status/1188596257029120000
vallejo is a town of 120,000 people and PG&E has turned off power to their water treatment and pumping station and due to wildfires, firefighters have used up most of the water stored in the water towers so the city has prohibited all outdoor use of water and asked people not to bathe or flush their toilets until the power returns.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
now's the time to start making noise about nationalizing pg&e, if you're that way inclined

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

fermun posted:

https://twitter.com/Millicentsomer/status/1188596257029120000
vallejo is a town of 120,000 people and PG&E has turned off power to their water treatment and pumping station and due to wildfires, firefighters have used up most of the water stored in the water towers so the city has prohibited all outdoor use of water and asked people not to bathe or flush their toilets until the power returns.

PG&E: Let's see you try to fight fires without any water lol!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
PG&E are led by a doomsday cult trying to summon the Firelord there's no other explanation for such thoroughly effective incompetence

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I want a wildfire to burn down the owl statue at bohemian grove.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Marx Headroom posted:

PG&E are led by a doomsday cult trying to summon the Firelord there's no other explanation for such thoroughly effective incompetence

Maybe they just liked the ending of Thor Ragnarok?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also this was all do shareholders and executives could fleece the company of every dollar they could instead of doing maintenance or anything else that might have prevented these fires

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

also this was all do shareholders and executives could fleece the company of every dollar they could instead of doing maintenance or anything else that might have prevented these fires

They're going to get charged with every crime in the book and then use the parable of the scorpion and the frog as a criminal defense.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Spergin Morlock posted:

I want a wildfire to burn down the owl statue at bohemian grove.

it will be the only thing that survives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

wtf :tinfoil:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggie_Q

Q