Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mogg is :actually: personified this is genuinely sickening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Rarity posted:

Read through the last 6 pages of the thread in one go and it was a proper buttock clencher

i was completely making GBS threads it, when the first vote came through i left to go cook in despair and my friend messaged me with

quote:

IT WAS A TRICK
WE WON!!!!
mAJORITY OF 14
aipwegof'bg
boris deal is pulled (by boris)

and i nearly burnt all my food

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol dan jarvis

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1186724655639486466?s=20

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Bardeh posted:

who is this idiot referencing loving Harry Potter

HELLOO. I AM FRANCES TWEETMANS. I AM VERY PRECOCIOUS FOR MY AGE, YOU KNOW. I HAVE LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF FRIENDS WHO THINK I AM AWFULLY CLEVER :shrek:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Seems to me that if the 19 Labour rebels had voted with the Labour Party, then the WA Bill would have been voted down.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Carborundum posted:

In this thread's opinion, what Brexit outcome will actually help Labour?
There is no brexit outcome short of revocation that will help Labour.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
So who will have the saltiest headline tomorrow, the Daily Telegraph or The Daily Mail?

Edit: Oh, gently caress, right, The Express.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 22, 2019

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Rincewinds posted:

So who will have the saltiest headline tomorrow, the Telegraph or The Daily Mail?

The Express.

WHY CANT WW LEEEEEEEEEAVE :negative:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

jBrereton posted:

There is no brexit outcome short of revocation that will help Labour.

lexit though

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Rincewinds posted:

So who will have the saltiest headline tomorrow, the Telegraph or The Daily Mail?

The Express

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Pesmerga posted:

Seems to me that if the 19 Labour rebels had voted with the Labour Party, then the WA Bill would have been voted down.

Yeah? Aren't we now stuck with this lovely deal? How is voting for a delay a big victory?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The deal does not pass until it passes its third reading, and the primary effort has always been to secure an extension from the EU so that the government can be safely no confidenced without us crashing out in the middle of the election. Which means the critical thing to do is delay long enough for the EU to respond to the extension request.

If an election is called that completely resets parliament, any in-progress legislation gets canceled and has to start again from the beginning, and the idea is to get a labour majority or at the very least, to reduce the conservative majority so far that they can't get brexit through.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 22, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

alphabettitouretti posted:

Yeah? Aren't we now stuck with this lovely deal? How is voting for a delay a big victory?
Because you can amend it with anything from Customs Union to second referendum to "From the first instance of 'A' to end, remove and replace with "Boris a dick."

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Pesmerga posted:

And if the fourteen MPs who rebelled on the WA Bill then voted against the timetable had instead rebelled on both, say because they were already being kicked out of the party so who cares what the whip says, then both would have passed.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
And all this is better than getting it off the table completely because?

Seriously, by this logic you should have been supporting May’s deal going through.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pesmerga posted:

And all this is better than getting it off the table completely because?

Seriously, by this logic you should have been supporting May’s deal going through.

They aren't going to vote it off the table and there is nothing you can do to make them do that.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

OwlFancier posted:

They aren't going to vote it off the table and there is nothing you can do to make them do that.

If the rebels had voted with labour they would have. And again - everyone should have supported May’s deal and then tried to customs union it, on this reasoning.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pesmerga posted:

If the rebels had voted with labour they would have. And again - everyone should have supported May’s deal and then tried to customs union it, on this reasoning.

They aren't going to vote with labour to vote the deal down unconditionally.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

OwlFancier posted:

They aren't going to vote with labour to vote the deal down unconditionally.

A substantial number voted down May’s deal repeatedly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pesmerga posted:

A substantial number voted down May’s deal repeatedly.

Right, but they aren't going to vote this one down, they've made that eminently clear.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

jabby posted:

Voting down the Queen's speech doesn't bring down the government any more. It has to be a two-thirds majority or a confidence vote.

Yeah, but we're in this for the perfect historic moment where the queens speech gets voted down for the first time in almost a hundred years and then Corbyn gently inserts the cherry by putting a bangin' VONC on it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

josh04 posted:

And if the fourteen MPs who rebelled on the WA Bill then voted against the timetable had instead rebelled on both, say because they were already being kicked out of the party so who cares what the whip says, then both would have passed.

oh come on.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
This isn’t some victory, at this rate, it’s just delaying defeat as Labour go from rearguard action to rearguard action, and unless something changes, the deal is going to get through at the third stage. All this talk of the wreckers somehow coming around between now and then is hubristic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If it gets to the third stage. There is a very good chance it will not because it may well get pulled, amended, or cancelled due to a vote of no confidence before then.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The #fbpe is coming from inside the thread

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

OwlFancier posted:

If it gets to the third stage. There is a very good chance it will not because it may well get pulled, amended, or cancelled due to a vote of no confidence before then.

Possibly even all three!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Saying if all the rebels would have voted against it would be dead is pointless because they're not going to vote against it. The options are what you do about that, and providing every alternative opportunity for the bill to fail is a very sensible approach.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Saying if all the rebels would have voted against it would be dead is pointless because they're not going to vote against it. The options are what you do about that, and providing every alternative opportunity for the bill to fail is a very sensible approach.

No, but if Labour just used their magic powers it would be 2012 again and everything would be great

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

If you disagree, feel free to explain why.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally I think Boris missing his dead in a ditch deadline, failing to pass a queen's speech, being no confidenced, and labour blasting into an election campaign with a shitload of good policies while boris can only waffle about his lovely brexit deal is probably the best chance we're going to get.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

The #fbpe is coming from inside the thread

:rolleyes: I see any disagreement is now FBPE.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Pesmerga posted:

No, specifically your disagreements are FBPE.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Pesmerga posted:

Well you want Corbyn to magic Brexit away as the opposition, which is peak loving FBPE

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Firos posted:

No, specifically your disagreements are FBPE.

Why, to say that Labour wreckers are loving this, and if there were a time for Corbyn to start laying down party discipline it would be now? I think that the thread is too optimistic about all this somehow leading to a Labour government, rather than an amendment to have a customs union being voted down because it doesn’t end up with the support of the house, and you have people like Flint, Nandy, Fitzpatrick and Orr potentially voting against it for various reasons.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
So much of the appeal of Brexit at this point is the feeling that you’re moving somewhere and not just stuck in some bureaucratic limbo, right?

Can the Lib Dems and other organizations start selling “Remain” now as the best way to get over all this crap and move on?

“You got conned. Everyone makes mistakes. There’s no shame in backing out of a bad deal.”

I guess you still get stuck in the anti-democratic trap without the second referendum.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

OwlFancier posted:

Personally I think Boris missing his dead in a ditch deadline, failing to pass a queen's speech, being no confidenced, and labour blasting into an election campaign with a shitload of good policies while boris can only waffle about his lovely brexit deal is probably the best chance we're going to get.

Having the Lib Dems caught waffling between revoke or second ref could also be pretty useful tbh. They still scoop up the hard-remain tories in those marginals but the obviously undemocratic revoke is decent ammo to use against them in Lib/Lab marginals.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Well you want Corbyn to magic Brexit away as the opposition, which is peak loving FBPE

He voted against the second reading, but said he just hoped people like Flint would too. They all voted against May’s version. Which everyone approved of, but now voting for this one is good politics despite Corbyn voting against because it’s a terrible Bill worse than the last one? Again, by the reasoning of ‘but we can amend it at third reading’, then that should have happened with May’s version, which was not as terrible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pesmerga posted:

Why, to say that Labour wreckers are loving this, and if there were a time for Corbyn to start laying down party discipline it would be now? I think that the thread is too optimistic about all this somehow leading to a Labour government, rather than an amendment to have a customs union being voted down because it doesn’t end up with the support of the house, and you have people like Flint, Nandy, Fitzpatrick and Orr potentially voting against it for various reasons.

You are assuming that corbyn can "lay down party discipline" in such a way as to make people do what he says, which isn't how MPs work.

You can't fire an MP. It's like if you boss couldn't actually fire you but came in threatening to stop telling you what to do, how would you react?

Pesmerga posted:

He voted against the second reading, but said he just hoped people like Flint would too. They all voted against May’s version. Which everyone approved of, but now voting for this one is good politics despite Corbyn voting against because it’s a terrible Bill worse than the last one? Again, by the reasoning of ‘but we can amend it at third reading’, then that should have happened with May’s version, which was not as terrible.

They're voting for it for a variety of reasons, some of them have likely been paid off, some of them are quitting anyway, some of them are worried they'll look too remainy to their constituents, some of them are worried that it's this or no deal. None of that is likely to be solved by threats.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

OwlFancier posted:

You are assuming that corbyn can "lay down party discipline" in such a way as to make people do what he says, which isn't how MPs work.

You can't fire an MP. It's like if you boss couldn't actually fire you but came in threatening to stop telling you what to do, how would you react?

In which case the whip system is largely pointless, as is the idea of political parties, if anyone just votes whichever way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
politely, what would turfing them from the party accomplish save forcing a split the Corbyn project has made every effort to avoid? it sure didn’t make boris seem stronger, and he has the press onside, loving imagine the headlines about Stalinism that would generate.

deselection must come from the membership to be legitimate at all, it’s why they keep jumping rather than being pushed. this time not that long ago you’d be bemoaning how woodcock, field and hoey should be kicked out.