Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

MedicineHut posted:

That does not sound right. 500 million Km is hardly the limit of a 64b precision positioning engine. If I am not mistaken Elite Dangerous has been using the 64b maths for their 1:1 scale systems without major issues. For reference the solar system is around 290 billion km in diameter. And that does not even count the actual in game position of the Voyager probes well outside the limits of that diameter.

The CIG 64b "engine" is hosed up from the ground up.

I have had a few wines and beers and calmed down. You are correct I have not done any real math, the numbers are made up to embelish my point..though embelished my point remains

This is based on my experience with professional engineering products, even with "double procsecion" 64bit architecture they start to fall apart measuresing distances on earth, yes they may be trying to measure it to 6 decimal places but that's it. Computing at 64 bit only gives you so many digits to play with.

Say Cig can calculate accurately to 3 digits or X digits with math with their new 64 but engine.

CIG. poo poo still dosent fit..

CIG scale everything down by 100...camandos can move to 99.42794736. stayed under 100 we need gold medals for our new tech, and amazing vision.

Engine all comandos = 99.5

Camandos = why did (X) clip through (y) like it should clearly be .0000467 above the floor!!!!

Floor = it's only 98

I don't claim understand the wizzardy that went into ED. I was under the impression super cruise and normal space were seperate spaces. What ever they did it worked smoothly and I did not notice it what they were doing.

On every serious engineering project the cordinate system or how it's been truncated to fit the project needs is an extremely basic and boring subject. We all need to work to a cordinate system just tell us which one.

Chris bless his dreamy heart could literally not be paid enough to even understamd or comprehend the scale of his nothing project and yet it drives chirs project,somehow It alwways with worse

DigitalPenny fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Strangler 42 posted:

Some of Star Citizen could work if they toned down the "Fidelity" that is choking everyone's networking and servers and graphics cards. But no, Chris had to make it super realistic, spend almost 300 million to figure out why it was a bad idea, and scale it back some to maybe get a working mmo out of an engine built for a single player game. Any other company would have this sorted out on day one but Chris has been out of gaming for so long he has no clue what modern games are capable of and what the limitations are. You have to learn what the limitations are before you break them you loving clod!

the ironic part of this is they've taken so long to make the game the so called amazing graphics they have will looked dated. I never thought they looked that great to begin with. Especially how the people walk and move. Everything feels and looks so fake. It's hilarious.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
Hey does anybody have an info dump about this 4mil mansion the guy bought? I'd like to watch star citizen faithful try to defend it as the light in their eyes flickers and dies.

I also wonder how they feel/justify hiring these famous people to be in this video game nobody really wants or cares about?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

The_E posted:

I was honestly just speculating based on what I think is a sensible solution to the problem of making interplanetary scale things work. If FDEV has chosen a different solution, more power to them (given that it seems to work acceptably well).

You were right in one thing though. When you fly in Elite, be it in supercruise or normal flight your location reference changes constantly. The ship coordinates reference seems to be the nearest planet or star or station etc. And that planet and star in turn has its reference towards other objects it may be orbiting and those in turn a reference to the actual zero in the star system (probably its main "A" star). But it all seems to happen within the 1:1 64b real scale. I.e. Pluto is actually around 6 billion Km from the Sun as it should be.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 22, 2019

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

YOURFRIEND posted:

Hey does anybody have an info dump about this 4mil mansion the guy bought? I'd like to watch star citizen faithful try to defend it as the light in their eyes flickers and dies.

I also wonder how they feel/justify hiring these famous people to be in this video game nobody really wants or cares about?

Should get Chris and strangli on cribs ! They would so do it...

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

Answer the Call In 2020+14™

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

The_E posted:

Simple answer: They don't.

ED, for example, uses heavy instancing and scaling tricks to create the illusion of scale. When you are in the "system" scale, i.e. puttering around a system in FSD, you're not in the same coordinate system that you're in when flying around in "real space".

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Except you are, which players were able to test because of a bug that allowed for thruster engineering stacking, leading to supercruise speeds in normal space:

(watch the planet on the right)
VIDEO

The instancing is there to cover loading assets and instancing multiplayer (i.e. not run at 20 FPS like SC), but I believe the coordinate system is universal.

The_E posted:

I was honestly just speculating based on what I think is a sensible solution to the problem of making interplanetary scale things work. If FDEV has chosen a different solution, more power to them (given that it seems to work acceptably well).

:laffo:

:v: This is what definitely happens

:eng101: No it isn't, here's proof why you are wrong

:v: I was only speculating

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Scruffpuff posted:

His transcripts were some of my favorite reads on this site. Alas; he fell, staring into the abyss for our amusement.

what happened to that poor soul? flip out and selfban? literally went insane and got committed?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's almost like if you pay actors, they'll be in your thing!!!

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol I love that Mark Hamill's oblivious comment is sending the fanboys into a frenzy of "OMG MARK HAMILL SAID IT'S COMING OUT NEXT YEAR!!!". He doesn't know dudes, he just did a voice in a game and thinks that's neat.

But its ok that they are taking their time to make the best game they can.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quavers posted:

:laffo:

:v: This is what definitely happens

:eng101: No it isn't, here's proof why you are wrong

:v: I was only speculating

To be fair, I don't blame them, the bug was kinda obscure and by now is about two years old. And aside of that, you usually wouldn't spend hundred hours (with a fuel tank filled ship and boost macro) to fly towards a planet / star checking whether it's there or not (and that to load its textures properly you have to supercruise anyway).

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

YOURFRIEND posted:

When Keanu Reeves appeared in Cyberpunk trailer, someone made this photoshop of him in SQ42

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Creating a massive online space sim is a lot of work. The Elite devs are still doing a better job at it then Star Citizen is. Elite also still has significantly more content.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

You're gonna love restarting the game every 20 minutes then.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yes, Star Citizen, a game known for its working implementation of fleet carriers

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol I love that Mark Hamill's oblivious comment is sending the fanboys into a frenzy of "OMG MARK HAMILL SAID IT'S COMING OUT NEXT YEAR!!!". He doesn't know dudes, he just did a voice in a game and thinks that's neat.

You pay for subscriptions, read the newsletters, the forum posts, watch weekly shows, for the most open game development ever. Where else will you get the latest scoop about Squabron 54 but at Hamill's twitter?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

YOURFRIEND posted:

You don't understand. Chris was already rich before Star Citizen. It was just pure coincidence he bought himself a mansion after getting a bucketload of money from backers and investors.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
*sinks to the bottom of the thread*

I'm glad Star Citizen is everything I ever wanted it to be and more!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's almost like if you pay actors, they'll be in your thing!!!

You have to wonder, how many millions of that budget that was for development went on paying so many actors. Pretty sure the likes of Hamill and Cavil don't come cheap.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bugger.

On the other hand, LOL at everyone who was grinding like crazy to get a fleet carrier :D

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Players.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

The Titanic posted:

*sinks to the bottom of the thread*

I'm glad Star Citizen is everything I ever wanted it to be and more!

This is the squadron 54+ thread it's only upwards and onwards in here...I think you may find sq42 thread a better place for all you "sinking" needs

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lmao of course derek would :goonsay: a tired old man who probably hasn't paid attention to Star Citizen since he was on the cover of gameinformer or whatever that fuckin magazine was

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

You have to wonder, how many millions of that budget that was for development went on paying so many actors. Pretty sure the likes of Hamill and Cavil don't come cheap.

Do you think that Sandi would act in just any old thing?

No, they would have paid her top dollar.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Beet Wagon posted:

lmao of course derek would :goonsay: a tired old man who probably hasn't paid attention to Star Citizen since he was on the cover of gameinformer or whatever that fuckin magazine was

Derek Smart lives for winning internet points. Little else matters to him, let alone shame.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
My idiot coworker just bought into Star Citizen. He wants to "haul cargo in space", so I tried to suggest he look at Elite Dangerous instead, but no he claims that looked too difficult.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
they don't call him derek dumb, now do they? :useyournoggin:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Nemo2342 posted:

My idiot coworker just bought into Star Citizen. He wants to "haul cargo in space", so I tried to suggest he look at Elite Dangerous instead, but no he claims that looked too difficult.

No, no, you need to talk him into buying MORE ships, it'll be WAY funnier that way.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/EncryptedAfro/status/1186501387514974208
https://twitter.com/EncryptedAfro/status/1186636792352653313
https://twitter.com/humanevil51/status/1186530904564469761

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

So, you're regular voice?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yes, Star Citizen, a game known for its working implementation

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

*In a clown's voice*

But actually it didn't even enter pre-production until late 2016 after the developer finished the giant expansion for their world-renowned previous game. In just 3 years they've taken it from concept to completion including multiple demos of actual vertical slices and it is looking on track for release next year.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Preproduction is generally not counted when people talk about dev times for games but I'd understand a star citizen fan not knowing what that is.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Sarsapariller posted:

*In a clown's voice*

But actually it didn't even enter pre-production until late 2016 after the developer finished the giant expansion for their world-renowned previous game. In just 3 years they've taken it from concept to completion including multiple demos of actual vertical slices and it is looking on track for release next year.

Yeah well, you will find that CIG is actually developing two AAAAA games at the same time. So check mate FUDDY goonie :smuggo:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sankis posted:

Preproduction is generally not counted when people talk about dev times for games but I'd understand a star citizen fan not knowing what that is.

Citizens always count pre-production in dev times, all the way back to when games are just gleams in some director’s eye. There was a thread a while ago in which they were talking about Starfield and they came up with some insanely long dev time for it like 15 years, because Todd Howard once said they had been discussing making a space game since the around the time of the release of Oblivion. So therefore Star Citizen still being a broken pre-alpha tech demo with less than 1% of its promised content entering year 8 of development is normal and good.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Martout posted:

what happened to that poor soul? flip out and selfban? literally went insane and got committed?

Stared so long into the abyss he started defending velicovsky's 'science' and disappeared after getting dunked on for it