Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Little do you know once they hit zero they underflow and it turns out we brexited several decades ago.

This is why they should switch to a moon-based Brexit proximity indicator

E: back at it again with the terrible snipes - time to log off for the night boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

CoolCab posted:

brexit is a super emotive issue, particularly for those with eg EU nationals as family members or similar. I think people can get a little frayed around it.

My partner's a Finnish national so yeah, all the garbage since 2016 has been loving awful for us.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1186745910841270274
I think if Boris calls an election on a one-line bill Labour will have to go for it. Would be a bad look for the opposition to vote against an election and lose.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The problem with a general election is I cant see it ending in anything other than a massive Tory majority.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
been having a nice long bath this evening what’d I miss

hmm looks like Parliament passed another vote to prevent Johnson loving us over and now it looks like we’ve got an extension and an election coming up

who could have possibly predicted that all the doomsaying ITT was ill-founded, I wonder

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

PriorMarcus posted:

The problem with a general election is I cant see it ending in anything other than a massive Tory majority.

You guys like women, right? Hillary Clinton is available and looking for work.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
I actually think it'd be good to run an election whilst this deal is set but in limbo - it's not a great deal. If it gets dissected and dragged over the curse of an election campaign i don't think it'll stand up at all. It certainly isn't the all things to all people brexit promised.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

You know. Earlier this year it looked like Therese May was balancing on the knives edge to avoid a no-deal Brexit. But Boris has been ploughing head first towards no deal and it's like the world contorts its way around him to make him hit a brick wall. The system itself will get itself an extension.

Makes me wonder if May ever had the power to cause or avoid no deal in the first place.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

jabby posted:

Voting down the Queen's speech doesn't bring down the government any more. It has to be a two-thirds majority or a confidence vote.

Which...is almost certainly still a confidence vote, according to every time it's come up in committees and others.

https://skwawkbox.org/2019/09/01/johnsons-queens-speech-will-be-a-confidence-vote-heres-why/

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Julio Cruz posted:

been having a nice long bath this evening what’d I miss

hmm looks like Parliament passed another vote to prevent Johnson loving us over and now it looks like we’ve got an extension and an election coming up

who could have possibly predicted that all the doomsaying ITT was ill-founded, I wonder

I'm convinced it's at least in part because the press was in a full-on this time we're definitely brexitting mode.

I don't think it was as blatant with May's deal, possibly because the RWM monsters weren't quite as onboard with her as they are with Boris. Or maybe I'm just misremembering.

Anyway gently caress Tories, gently caress Brexit.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Brony Car posted:

And she's in London in just the right timeframe!

https://twitter.com/policyatkings/status/1186656419917029377

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Apparently my gammon father-in-law is doing his nut on Facebook about the delays, which is at least minor schadenfreude to counterbalance the constant, depressing uncertainty. There might be something in the brexit fatigue after all, I imagine that a lot of the less insane raving ones might be swayed by the argument that leaving means at least a year more (probably more like five) of this poo poo, and remaining means the EU returns to being a fringe issue for lunatics.

OwlFancier posted:

You can't fire an MP. It's like if you boss couldn't actually fire you but came in threatening to stop telling you what to do, how would you react?
It's more like if you were doing contract work, and your boss threatened not to pay for your next application in a marketplace where everyone else is hiring pr firms and professional design teams for their application. Sure if you're absolutely certain that you're great at your job and you know for a fact that the majority of the comittee want you personally back (and not just whoever your boss' pr team are promoting), it's not much of a threat, but for anyone else it probably is.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 22, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

josh04 posted:

And she's in London in just the right timeframe!

https://twitter.com/policyatkings/status/1186656419917029377
The whole establishment loves The Policy Institute, a loveable institute that makes policies. *5 seconds later* We regret to inform you the policies are racist.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Apparently my gammon father-in-law is doing his nut on Facebook about the delays, which is at least minor schadenfreude to counterbalance the constant, depressing uncertainty. There might be something in the brexit fatigue after all, I imagine that a lot of the less insane raving ones might be swayed by the argument that leaving means at least a year more (probably more like five) of this poo poo, and remaining means the EU returns to being a fringe issue for lunatics.

It's more like if you were doing contract work, and your boss threatened not to pay for your next application in a marketplace where everyone else is hiring pr firms and professional design teams for their application. Sure if you're absolutely certain that you're great at your job and you know for a fact that the majority of the comittee want you personally back (and not just whoever your boss' pr team are promoting), it's not much of a threat, but for anyone else it probably is.

Except in this case they have a job offer to do gently caress all for minimum 5 figures a year. Like we're talking 30 hours a month chatting poo poo on a golf course type "job".

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The positive side of the bill getting to 2nd reading is that it wasn't outright rejected by parliament, whereas putting it on hold is all on the government. If they genuinely wanted to Get Brexit Done they'd still be moving ahead with the process, even if the timetable wasn't what they wanted. Instead they're the ones actively frustrating the passage of the bill. Corbyn even asked them to meet and agree on a timetable for moving forward, so even though Labour mostly voted against the bill it looks like the Tories are the ones undermining THE DEAL

also for everyone saying it should have been whipped and destroyed, that's fbpe because it assumes Corbyn has the magic brexit-ending stick he just chooses not to use. Look at the context - Johnson brings a deal back and tries to rush it through at the last minute with a lot of media momentum. The overall narrative is one of Getting It Done, People vs Parliament, Traitors, A Test Of Democracy Itself etc - this is intentional pressure being exerted by the Tories, in an extremely short timeframe, on an explosive issue. Nobody's had time to really examine the deal, get any analysis of its outcomes, anything at all - it dropped the night before the vote

in that context, this close to the deadline, some MPs were obviously gonna be wary about just rejecting it at the first opportunity. The process is multiple votes in both houses along with debates and amendments, meaning more time to look at the deal, make changes and an informed decision. I can totally see some people wanting to basically act in good faith, not be rushed into that final decision, or signal to their Leave constituents that they at least gave it a fair shot instead of blocking it immediately. Like, this was all intentional, that's why the Tories created this pressure cooker with all the delays and prorogation and arbitrary deadlines and drum beating about betrayal

why do you assume Corbyn would even have the power to coerce people in that situation? What if he tried and failed (because those people felt they needed to give it a shot) and lost the chance to influence other votes like the timetable, or amendments, or the final reading (where it really is the end of the road, nothing more to do but make a decision)? These are all tactical decisions, and unfortunately doing the thing that makes you feel good isn't always the best move to get the outcome you want

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I was reading through this Lord Ashcroft Polls summary of how and why people voted in the referendum and this stat from the end jumped out at me:

quote:

The impact

More than three quarters (77%) of those who voted to remain thought “the decision we make in the referendum could have disastrous consequences for us as a country if we get it wrong”. More than two thirds (69%) of leavers, by contrast, thought the decision “might make us a bit better or worse off as a country, but there probably isn’t much in it either way”.

If a plurality of brexit voters truely believe there isn't much in it either way, no wonder they're fine with no-deal as long as it's over and see cancelling it as subverting democracy. Hopefully the last three years has convinced some of them otherwise but that doesn't really seem to be the case.

Odd though that despite it not making much difference either way it'll definitely solve these forces of ill:

sigh, though 50% of each group at least thinks capitalism is bad I guess.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I mean

https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1186733216251691009

I can relate

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

PriorMarcus posted:

didn’t get this far by being scared of elections. Tories want a fight we’ll give them one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All these werido reply guys in the comments of the EU dudes really makes me want to brexit tbh.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

where IS eu supergirl anyway

where's the album

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Can we just let the brexiteers leave? Like give them a chunk of the cumbrian coast and then blast it free into the atlantic. I guarantee this is not as dumb as half of the solutions being thrown around Lib Dem HQ.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My political position is that I really want guy verhofstadt to notice my politeness in his twitter feed and then do me up the arse bent over the EU parliament benches.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

baka kaba posted:

where IS eu supergirl anyway

where's the album

off fighting george soros

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

jabby posted:

Are you posting from the future?

Labour has a Brexit policy, it's to have another referendum.

I didn’t say we don’t have a policy, merely that we don’t have a viable policy; one which, under some imaginable circumstances, could lead to gaining seats compared to 2017.

In order to win seats that were lost in 2017, then in a single-issue Brexit election you would have to have a Brexit policy that some people prefer to the 2017 policy.

To prove me wrong, find me those people.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

blunt posted:

I was reading through this Lord Ashcroft Polls summary of how and why people voted in the referendum and this stat from the end jumped out at me:

If a plurality of brexit voters truely believe there isn't much in it either way, no wonder they're fine with no-deal as long as it's over and see cancelling it as subverting democracy. Hopefully the last three years has convinced some of them otherwise but that doesn't really seem to be the case.

Odd though that despite it not making much difference either way it'll definitely solve these forces of ill:

sigh, though 50% of each group at least thinks capitalism is bad I guess.

Love/hate of capitalism shall heal UK.

Edit: It does not say what % of people were negative, so I wonder if people were more positive to some issues in general, such as feminism, etc. Though if it follows the elections, its pretty much 50-50 anyhow.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 22, 2019

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

CoolCab posted:

didn’t get this far by being scared of elections. Tories want a fight we’ll give them one.

yeah I don’t see how an immediate election is anything but a good thing for Labour

some of the Brexit lunatics are going to vote BXP and the rest Tory but there aren’t really all that many of them

Brexit isn’t the main issue for nearly as many people as the Tory press would have you believe

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

My political position is that I really want guy verhofstadt to notice my politeness in his twitter feed and then do me up the arse bent over the EU parliament benches.
*I put on my glasses and Elton John wig*

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

yeah I don’t see how an immediate election is anything but a good thing for Labour

some of the Brexit lunatics are going to vote BXP and the rest Tory but there aren’t really all that many of them

Brexit isn’t the main issue for nearly as many people as the Tory press would have you believe

Yeah. Get the extension in the bag, vote down the queen's speech and VONC. The DUP don't hold the balance of power any more and they've been betrayed so they may well go along with the VONC.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Do you think, even in the back of their lovely brains, that the lib-dem labour right types that have spent 4 years smearing corbs and the labour left acknowledge that without the historical swing we achieved by not being poo poo neolibs for the 2017 election we would have brexited long ago? That without us it would have been a nu-lab robot and the tories would have had a comfortable majority for this whole episode?

Like the lib dems should be respecting that the labour left pulled off the shock upset we did but not a word even recognising why the parliamentary arithmetic is the way it is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lol if you think liberals are that introspective or give that much of a poo poo about reality.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vitamin P posted:

Do you think, even in the back of their lovely brains, that the lib-dem labour right types that have spent 4 years smearing corbs and the labour left acknowledge that without the historical swing we achieved by not being poo poo neolibs for the 2017 election we would have brexited long ago? That without us it would have been a nu-lab robot and the tories would have had a comfortable majority for this whole episode?

Like the lib dems should be respecting that the labour left pulled off the shock upset we did but not a word even recognising why the parliamentary arithmetic is the way it is.

You fool, if it wasn't for Corbyn, leave wouldn't have won in the first place.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah but you're pessimistic as gently caress so your predictions don't hold much value

Brony Car posted:

HIRE MORE WOMEN DETENTION CENTRE GUARDS

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

BBC News and Keunnsberg just uncritically repeating the spin that parliament 'approved' and 'voted for' Johnson's Brexit deal.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Can someone explain to me why a new brexit bill is being heard?

I understand that Joris can't put forward the withdrawal agreement motion as per Section 13 of the EU Withdrawal act as per Bercow's ruling but what I don't understand is what the new bill does differently to the 2018 act?

Is it quite simply trying to do Boris' deal in a very longwinded way or is there something materially different about the new bill?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Vitamin P posted:

These people seem to believe that May was a uniquely bad candidate and that literally anyone else would have won a majority and that policies had nothing to do with it, which to be fair is neoliberal as gently caress because they all just want New Improved Tony Blair with extra racism and down punching action to run the country forever.

Julio Cruz posted:

Mildly concerned that a good number of previously apparently normal people have the same opinion as about half of my office, which is that although remaining would be better we have to brexit because the prime minister said so and it's basically illegal to not do what the prime minister says, parliament only exists to help the prime minister do the things they want to do and therefore all of the MPs voting against "brexit right now as fast as possible" are breaking the rules and should be punished.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

OwlFancier posted:

Lol if you think liberals are that introspective or give that much of a poo poo about reality.

But they do tacitly acknowledge it, thats what the whole 'corbyn didn't campaign hard enough for remain' angle was, they do understand on some level that he's a strong campaigner.

I think the root is that they are deeply incapable of understanding that manifestos/ideology/inspiring activism actually matters, their entire world-view is predicated on the establishment structural stuff, so they are trying to square a circle. They don't believe that the British working class could actually be lions rising after slumber, so his success was obviously some weird hypnosis power, so why he not use that to help us too :( ????

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Nick Cohen (not a fan but this article is ok) in the Spectator.

Paywall: https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/10/meet-dominic-slack-oxley-the-biggest-source-of-fake-news-in-britain/

Covers similar ground to the Peter Oborne article link I posted earlier:
https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/british-journalists-have-become-part-of-johnsons-fake-news-machine/

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

lmao peston is very loving salty about it

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1186749078408970247?s=20

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

lol go on Robert, tell us how you really feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He's supposed to do the loving analysis