Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nighteye has a weird fetish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, as a manga reader, there are a few things I was curious as to how they'd end up handling them in the anime, and Magne's death and Shigaraki disintegrating that guy were two of them. (Or rather, that whole scene was one of them, I guess.) As someone stated, they toned it down a bit by skipping over most of the latter guy melting, but the former getting drawn out was pretty brutal; in the manga it just happened, though the anime had the actual explosion still be pretty dang sudden, so I imagine that it was still a big surprise for those who didn't know about it.

RIP Magne. You deserved better.

Other moments I'm wondering how the anime will handle are probably going to be at the end of the season, meanwhile, unless they go through content faster than I'm expecting. One of them is among my favorite moments in the series though, so that'll be fun.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 19, 2019

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Kind of expected, but that sure was a setup episode. Perfectly fine but I'm anxious to see the meat and potatoes.

Also,

Waffleman_ posted:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
me: Weird, I don't remember this Magne character- ohhhh

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sindai posted:

me: Weird, I don't remember this Magne character- ohhhh

Magne was fairly notable in season 3.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ijyt posted:

Apparently if Kaminari and Ojiro are in the same room, the tail fluff must be played with.

That was goddamn adorable.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Did some of the league get captured during season 3? I didn't see Dabi, Kurogiri or the lizard guy in this episode.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Starsnostars posted:

Did some of the league get captured during season 3? I didn't see Dabi, Kurogiri or the lizard guy in this episode.

Just kurogiri of those 3.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente
Just killing Mag off like that sure puts a damper on my enthusiasm for this season. I don't know what I expected from this show looking back, but Mag just casually being a thing was one of those nice aspects.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Starsnostars posted:

They were just not hanging out with them at the moment.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
The league is currently recruiting. So I guess they are out scouting/burning new talent.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dabi doesn't do the whole "hang out with the team" thing. He's kind of a prick.

Also him being there probably would have tipped that fight more in the League's favor. Same with Kurogiri.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
If I was Shigaraki I would have sent the magician guy out recruiting, he seems like the best salesman out of all the league members.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Starsnostars posted:

If I was Shigaraki I would have sent the magician guy out recruiting, he seems like the best salesman out of all the league members.

Saves on transportation costs, too!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Magne and Compress were tough matchups for the kids in the woods, so Overhaul showing up and immediately owning the both of them was a nice way to set up his danger level

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Late to the party, but throw me in the 'Deku's devotion to Bakugo is making him look bad.' camp.

Also that's what Magne gets for cheapshotting Pixiebob.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Deku continuing to respect and admire bakugo is an interesting expression of his personal neuorsies and values, and I think he is a richer character for it

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Deku thinks everyone is more amazing than himself because he has low self-esteem.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I hope when they grow up, they work towards a healthier relationship.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

I hope when they grow up, they work towards a healthier relationship.

They are currently in the process of doing this

It's still not very healthy but they are both actively growing

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah I think they're setting up for a longterm future moment where Bakugo finally sees Deku as a peer.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
As much as I love me some Deku, he'd instantly become my all time favorite character if this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2GtLltry24&t=33s

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

This was even more uncomfortable for me watching it in the anime than it was reading it in the manga. Or maybe it's just because this time around I had my partner with me.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
No, yeah, I totally agree. That scene was way more uncomfortable animated.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
It went on a little overlong. Also probably wouldn't have been as weird if Bubble Girl wasn't The Underboob Heroine

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bubble Girl was Hori and probably his editor being horny because she was a fan-made character from a contest.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is a random question that has nothing to do with the new season which I'm just starting to watch now.

Is there nobody in MHA with a super regeneration Quirk that AfO could steal?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

NikkolasKing posted:

This is a random question that has nothing to do with the new season which I'm just starting to watch now.

Is there nobody in MHA with a super regeneration Quirk that AfO could steal?

This is addressed last season I think. He did get one, but it couldn't regen any damage he had before he stole the quirk, so he gave it to the first Noumu we see at the end of season 1.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Rohan Kishibe posted:

This is addressed last season I think. He did get one, but it couldn't regen any damage he had before he stole the quirk, so he gave it to the first Noumu we see at the end of season 1.

It was specifically that he got it too late to heal himself, because his natural healing and scarification had already occurred. So the super regen would only set him back to his scarred state, if he’d gotten it in a few months after the fight it probably would have worked.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah he needs some kind of repairing quirk that would heal his scar tissue and those are apparently nonexistent or super rare.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

So does he not have eyeballs or is that just a weird artistic choice?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Doctor Reynolds posted:

So does he not have eyeballs or is that just a weird artistic choice?

If you’re asking about All for One he does not have eyeballs, most guesses are that All Might actually caved his skull in entirely in the first fight.

The potato look is presumably from advanced medical technology and treatment saving his life from having his skull caved in.

Basically imagine United States of Smash but All Might actually flattening All for One’s head instead of merely messing it up..

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 23, 2019

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, AfO literally had his head smashed in by by All Might (or something functionally equivalent) during their prior encounter, the same one where he tore out half of All Might's organs in return, probably in some suitably dramatic simultaneous strike. The specifics haven't really been said outright, but it's obvious enough from their various conversations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Asimo posted:

Yeah, AfO literally had his head smashed in by by All Might (or something functionally equivalent) during their prior encounter, the same one where he tore out half of All Might's organs in return, probably in some suitably dramatic simultaneous strike. The specifics haven't really been said outright, but it's obvious enough from their various conversations.

All for One mentioned All Might coming at him with his guts literally hanging out at one point I think.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Isn't there a still shot of AFO laying out with what appears to be gore in a cone coming out from where his head should be? But ya know all shadowed.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TheKingslayer posted:

Isn't there a still shot of AFO laying out with what appears to be gore in a cone coming out from where his head should be? But ya know all shadowed.

Yup, even has All Might kneeling/standing/crouching over him and everything so you know exactly what happened. They've been pretty consistent on this front, All Might thought All for One is dead, and by all accounts he should be given the fight ended with All Might physically caving his skull into the pavement at full power whilst All Might himself was bleeding out with a massive gut wound that left him with no stomach and one lung.

The fact either of them survived is a miracle, the fact that both did is some sort of ludicrous impossibility.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 23, 2019

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

That detail that there's one guy All Might used all that power, that even diminished as we see it but still way beyond anyone else to try and kill one guy who still lived really puts over how dangerous the main villain is.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I always assumed that even if All for One doesn't have powerful regeneration quirks available, he is extremely durable beyond normal quirks. Just stacking various hardening and absorption quirks with life supporting ones, etc. Enough to be able to survive whatever All Might did to his head.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s interesting that 3 different superhero tv series have had power-swapping/stealing villains (MHA, Heroes, and Misfits).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

That detail that there's one guy All Might used all that power, that even diminished as we see it but still way beyond anyone else to try and kill one guy who still lived really puts over how dangerous the main villain is.

He’s in prison though so it’s fine now.