Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
He's getting owned in the comments at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Look analysis and context is your job, I'm just a journalist, it's my job to repeat things that the government says to me, but do NOT accuse me of being a spokesperson for the government.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Full article below

quote:

Allow me to introduce Dominic Slack-Oxley. Never heard of him, I hear you cry. Oh but you have. You hear from him every time you pick up a newspaper or turn on the TV news. Slack-Oxley is everywhere. More than Facebook or Vladimir Putin, he is the most reliable source of fake news in Britain.

When you read about ‘Downing Street sources’ saying with absolute authority that Boris Johnson would never send a letter to Brussels to extend the Article 50 deadline, only for him to do just that, Slack-Oxley is to blame. When political correspondents boast of their exclusive access to ‘Number 10 sources,’ ‘Government sources’ and the ‘Prime Minister’s official spokesman,’ they mean Dominic Slack-Oxley is using them to push out the latest propaganda line.

Like many fantastical fictions, Dominic Slack-Oxley is not one man but many. A part of him is Robert Oxley, Boris Johnson’s press secretary, and a former spin-doctor for Vote Leave. Here is how he operates. On 24 August, the Observer revealed that Johnson was considering closing Parliament to avoid scrutiny of his Brexit plans. Oxley told political correspondents attending the G7 summit the story could not be more wrong. They dutifully reported a ‘government spokesman’ as saying the ‘claim that the government is considering proroguing Parliament in September in order to stop MPs debating Brexit is entirely false.’

I phoned those correspondents up and they told me that Oxley was the ‘government spokesman’ in question. I passed the information on to Observer readers, and it was not denied. A few days later Jacob Rees-Mogg persuaded the Queen to suspend Parliament on Johnson’s behalf.

When you hear ‘the Prime Minister’s official spokesman’ promise that X will happen, only for Y to happen within hours of his announcement, you are usually hearing the voice of the unimprovably-named James Slack. Any sensible Conservative politician would run a mile from him. While he was working at the Daily Mail, he wrote the copy for its ‘Enemies of the People’ attack on the judiciary of November 2016, before being appointed as the Prime Minister’s Official Spokesperson by Theresa May. Nothing did more to radicalise liberal opinion and turn moderate conservatives against the Brexit right. As a result, most people on my side of the argument believe Brexit is no longer just a fight about membership of the European Union but a defence of the British constitution against its enemies. But then Johnson has to appeal to the portion of the electorate lost in raging conspiracy theories about the ‘Remainer elite’ and I suppose it isn’t a surprise that he didn’t sack Slack or cut out the Slack, but kept him in the job instead.

Behind them both lies Dominic Cummings. The Downing Street press operation fears him as a loose cannon but dares not contradict him. I suppose it is to the credit of Westminster journalists that they actually acknowledge Cummings exists. And for this chink of transparency – this one glimmer of light amid the murk – their readers and viewers are doubtlessly grateful. I doubt, however, if one reader or viewer in a 100,000 knows the names of Oxley or Slack.

And that’s just the way Dominic Slack-Oxley likes it. By extending the protections afforded to whistleblowers (whose jobs would be at risk if they were identified) to official government spokesmen who take no risks and whose actual job, paid for by the taxpayer, is to speak out for their employer, journalists create a propagandist’s paradise.

Paragraph 14 of the Special Advisers Code of Conduct says: ‘Special advisers must not take public part in political controversy… They must observe discretion’ and ‘express comment with moderation’. It accepts that special advisers charged with dealing with the press are allowed ‘a degree of political commitment’. However, ‘briefing on purely party political matters must be handled by the Party machine’.

It forgets to note that, as long as journalists are the eager conduits for unattributed spin, the code is unenforceable.

Here are two newspaper stories that make the point for me. The first appeared in the Mail on Sunday at the end of September. Number 10 ‘sources’ claimed Remain MPs were engaged in ‘foreign collusion’ with the French government and the EU in a ‘plot to allow John Bercow to send a “surrender letter” to Brussels asking for a delay to Brexit’. The second story should have appeared but didn’t. It reported that Oxley, Slack or Cummings or a Dominic Slack-Oxley combination of the above ‘claimed’ that a plot was afoot.

Between the two stories lies the difference between a free press and a courtier press. Openness allows politicians and their sidekicks to be held to account when the story is revealed to be ‘party political’ garbage. It was always likely that it would in this case. The Mail on Sunday piece even admitted that ‘No 10 declined to discuss what evidence they had’. And as a point of fact, Johnson forgot his promise to ‘die in a ditch’ rather than ask for an extension and sent the ‘surrender letter’ himself.

Reform should begin at the editorial level. Reporters would not dare stand up to Downing Street on their own, so editors, particularly editors at the TV stations, must take two steps. They must insist that when the Prime Minister’s official spokesman (or his counterparts in the opposition parties) gives a briefing he must be named – as he is in virtually every other modern democracy. Editors would then have to decide whether to blow the whistle when a ‘Downing Street source’ consistently fed them fake news, or quietly ban their reporters from speaking to him or her again.

You may retort that the pack of Lobby correspondents contains some of the best journalists in the country – and you would be right. You could say that Westminster journalism has always offered the protection of anonymity to ‘sources’ who don’t need it. And you would be right again. The trouble with the Johnson administration is that it has taken existing conventions and pushed them to the point where political correspondents are complicit in disinformation campaigns. In the end, their viewers and readers will lose trust in them. Indeed, many already are. As Robert Harris said recently: ‘the quality of Brexit coverage would be vastly improved if Dominic Cummings was named as the source each time he briefs a journalist. In 40 years I’ve never seen so much hyperbolic garbage treated as serious news.’

The Lobby has allowed Dominic Slack-Oxley to become Westminster’s equivalent of Macavity the Mystery Cat, who can never be caught or held to account for his crimes. If T.S. Eliot were covering the Brexit debacle, he could update Cats and write:

‘Slack-Oxley, Slack-Oxley, there’s no one like Slack-Oxley

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.

He always has an alibi, and one or two to spare:

At whatever time the deed took place – SLACK-OXLEY

WASN’T THERE!’

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
General election now, let's just have it out.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
General election when the extension has actually been offered and accepted.

I'm nervous about Labour's chances but it's gotta be done.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

CGI Stardust posted:

Full article below

The biggest issue I have with this sort of poo poo is that it's all a question of semantics. If you call it "fake news", there's something apparently deservedly sneaky about putting news out there that isn't true.
But if they bit the bullet and called it propaganda - which it is - you'd get the grimy proto-fascist undertones coming through nice and strong, and there's nothing smirk-worthy about using a word that invokes Himmler's name.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
did we brexsit the brexit or what friends

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

blunt posted:

sigh, though 50% of each group at least thinks capitalism is bad I guess.

You're misreading the graph. 51% of anticapitalists voted leave, not 51% of leave voters were anticapitalists.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
https://twitter.com/OGMurphy1/status/1186725438753779718

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You're misreading the graph. 51% of anticapitalists voted leave, not 51% of leave voters were anticapitalists.

You're right, my bad!

And a little more hope was lost.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Maugrim posted:

I'm nervous about Labour's chances but it's gotta be done.

If you're nervous about Labours chances then best remedy is knock on some doors yourself to tip the dial in your local area and encourage others to do the same.

And btw Labour lefts chances will always feel shaky, if they don't feel shaky it's because we're cucking. The right-wing press will always say old women should die in pools of their own poo poo if it allows tax cuts for the rich, the Guardian will always say young women should turn to prostitution to pay rent if their landlord is a woke vegan. There will never, ever be a perfect moment where the powers that be will allow us a fair shake, so let's just take the nearest opportunity for electoral change and fight the loving campaign.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

Yeah but you're pessimistic as gently caress so your predictions don't hold much value

Pessimists are people too y'know :(

Anyway I am fully pessimism now about an election in the next 2 months resulting in anything buy Tories as the largest party but I'm also fine with that because I have enough wrestling to watch to help me ignore that reality for the next several years. So long as the power doesn't go out anyway

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Vitamin P posted:

If you're nervous about Labours chances then best remedy is knock on some doors yourself to tip the dial in your local area and encourage others to do the same.

And btw Labour lefts chances will always feel shaky, if they don't feel shaky it's because we're cucking. The right-wing press will always say old women should die in pools of their own poo poo if it allows tax cuts for the rich, the Guardian will always say young women should turn to prostitution to pay rent if their landlord is a woke vegan. There will never, ever be a perfect moment where the powers that be will allow us a fair shake, so let's just take the nearest opportunity for electoral change and fight the loving campaign.

but pete buttegieg is gay AND a troop

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

bump_fn posted:

did we brexsit the brexit or what friends

If you watch BBC news one of their guest analysts has construed the vote for the bill on a second reading as

"securing a majority in the house for the deal"

and went on to say

"I think [a general election] will be quite good for the tories. I think Labour were hoping to be able to go into the election campaign warning if you vote for Boris Johnson there's a risk of No Deal and actually what he has managed to do by getting that deal is take No Deal off the table."

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Azza Bamboo posted:

If you watch BBC news one of their guest analysts has construed the vote for the bill on a second reading as "securing a majority in the house for the deal" and went on to say "I think [a general election] will be quite good for the tories. I think Labour were hoping to be able to go into the election campaign warning if you vote for Boris Johnson there's a risk of No Deal and actually what he has managed to do by getting that deal is take No Deal off the table."

:thunk:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Really, really not seeing why people are fully convinced Labour's absolutely doomed in the election.

It'd be bollocks to argue that we've got it in the bag and there's nothing to worry about etc. etc.. There's risks and dangers and threats that need to be managed.

But the Tories are in massive disarray, Farage is already howling and BXP will eat a bunch of rabid Brexiteer votes, Johnson's about to have his claims about how he's totally going to Brexit on October 31st come hell or high water thrown out of the window, they've lost the DUP, and once election reporting rules kick in it's going to be a gently caress of a lot harder for the media to chat poo poo about the whole situation. Last time around May was, supposedly, an historically popular PM who had courage and vision and all that shite and we were doomsaying until the very second the first BBC exit poll dropped. We need to fight and fight hard, and take nothing for granted, but there's no reason at this stage to be talking about how the Tories are on the cusp of some kind of absolutely massive majority.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i feel so completely detached from brexit news while im out of town but also im terrified of getting sick or injured cause im not sure i set up our work travel insurance properly and what if i have to deal with the american healthcare system again

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
My main concern about Labour is just from listening to people and talking to people around me. While I obviously haven't gathered enough people for a poll, the mood seems to be that Corbyn is unfashionable. He's not cool. Labour is a dirty word.

There is a lot of Tory hate around but voicing it isn't as acceptable out in public. I'm curious really because this seat (Lincoln) is consistently Con/Lab marginal with about 1500 votes in it usually.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 23, 2019

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

My political position is that I really want guy verhofstadt to notice my politeness in his twitter feed and then do me up the arse bent over the EU parliament benches.

well gotta respect that when you go for ugly, you don't accept a half-measure. though if you want to look him in the eyes during, that position's not good for your back

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Azza Bamboo posted:

My main concern about Labour is just from listening to people and talking to people around me. While I obviously haven't gathered enough people for a poll, the mood seems to be that Corbyn is unfashionable. He's not cool. Labour is a dirty word.

There is a lot of Tory hate around but voicing it isn't as acceptable out in public. I'm curious really because this seat (Lincoln) is consistently Con/Lab marginal with about 1500 votes in it usually.

On the other hand, Jezza can appear on stage at a music festival and have the entire crowd chanting his name. I do think Labour's star has faded in the last few months though, I hope there's a way to revive it when they can start really bringing the messages to the public at large.

Do we actually know when we're going to hear back from the EU on extension matters?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azza Bamboo posted:

If you watch BBC news one of their guest analysts has construed the vote for the bill on a second reading as

"securing a majority in the house for the deal"

and went on to say

"I think [a general election] will be quite good for the tories. I think Labour were hoping to be able to go into the election campaign warning if you vote for Boris Johnson there's a risk of No Deal and actually what he has managed to do by getting that deal is take No Deal off the table."

Wh...

OK so these people do know that if we have a general election the bill gets reset right, they do know how legislation works in this country?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Azza Bamboo posted:

If your main concern is that Labour isn't cool then congrats on being a dumb baby I guess? The trick is think about the issues that matter to you and then start fighting a little for them, you might be pleasantly surprised at how much cut-through you get when people experience an actually engaged person rather than passive news and you might be surprised when listening to them ends inspiring you too.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
It's just the noes to the left
And then the yeas to the right
With the votes on your deal
You whip your MPs in tight
But it's the dither and delay
That really drives you insane
Let's do the Brexit again
Let's do the Brexit again

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
so when people ask me "why does thing happening seem to cause you crippling depression" I just look at them with an expression of slightly more crippling depression

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Really, really not seeing why people are fully convinced Labour's absolutely doomed in the election.

It'd be bollocks to argue that we've got it in the bag and there's nothing to worry about etc. etc.. There's risks and dangers and threats that need to be managed.

But the Tories are in massive disarray, Farage is already howling and BXP will eat a bunch of rabid Brexiteer votes, Johnson's about to have his claims about how he's totally going to Brexit on October 31st come hell or high water thrown out of the window, they've lost the DUP, and once election reporting rules kick in it's going to be a gently caress of a lot harder for the media to chat poo poo about the whole situation. Last time around May was, supposedly, an historically popular PM who had courage and vision and all that shite and we were doomsaying until the very second the first BBC exit poll dropped. We need to fight and fight hard, and take nothing for granted, but there's no reason at this stage to be talking about how the Tories are on the cusp of some kind of absolutely massive majority.

Fuckin this. Labour have a great ground game that will kick into high gear the second a GE is announced. We should all be getting involved when that happens.

e: Even if you're super introverted and you're not quite ready to open your front door, you can tweet about Labour all day/every day, offer to be a social media officer for your local Labour branch.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 23, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Vitamin P posted:

If your main concern is that Labour isn't cool then congrats on being a dumb baby I guess? The trick is think about the issues that matter to you and then start fighting a little for them, you might be pleasantly surprised at how much cut-through you get when people experience an actually engaged person rather than passive news and you might be surprised when listening to them ends inspiring you too.

I talk about workers rights, the welfare state, housing, scrapping tuition fees, jobs in green energy and public sector jobs. This area has huge exploitative warehouses, factories, has seen its housing stock dumped into the private market, has a thriving university, has one of the nation's largest engineering facilities for wind turbine components (which it relies on exporting to the EU) and its NHS trusts are struggling, its councils are struggling and it has a huge amount of military influence by means of being surrounded by no fewer than 3 RAF airbases. My passions don't come from reading a manifesto, they come from listening to people around me. I don't just shy away when someone tells me who they are and that they don't like Jeremy. I don't preach, either. I just try to be honest in whatever conversation comes up, or maybe bring up a conversation if there's nothing else to talk about. I do sense, though, that I am perceived as an outsider and once the other person cottons on that I'm favouring a political party they simply want to put me in the jezz bin. That's what has me worried. I only see a handful of the people around me talking kindly of Labour, and the Lib Dems seem to be getting positive words although one of the veteran pissbirds I know says she wants rid of Jo Swinson.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 23, 2019

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I don't think we're doomed or anything, I feel really positive about the actual socialist policies that are going to be in the manifesto, and the fact that the public genuinely liked those policies last time around. What I worry about is that Labour were held back in 2017 by the wreckers in the PLP, and while many of them are gone now or standing down, there are still some left. The Lib Dems were also more or less a nonentity in 2017 whereas now they are specifically targeting Labour as a route back to relevancy (and the press are desperate to push this) even if it enables an overall Tory win. There's also zero sign of any improvement for Scottish Labour (although any gains there would probably be against the SNP so it doesn't affect kicking out the Tories). Those popular socialist policies also might not be worth as much if this election is framed as a a Brexit election, which both the Tories and the Lib Dems are going to be pushing at every possible opportunity.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You might just be speaking to a lot of assholes.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Lol labour. Lol corbyn. Lol Britain. Hell(o) brexit.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's just an anecdotal example, but here's how a conversation with a coworker went last week. We were chatting about Brexit, and he told me that he doesn't follow politics and doesn't have much interest in it BUT immediately afterwards, he told me about his 'lifelong Labour voter' uncle who has told him that Corbyn is a 'weasel oval office' who only wants to stop Brexit and has tried to stop it every step of the way. He just accepted that as fact. I would once upon a time have decided not to engage on the topic when someone so vehemently holds the opposite opinion to me, especially a coworker, but I decided to see what he actually knew about the Parliamentary arithmetic etc. Like how the ERG were the ones who originally wrecked the government's majority and how it's a bit ridiculous to suggest Corbyn's at fault when he's never actually been in charge of the process. He listened mostly in silence, just telling me how he doesn't pay any attention to any of that stuff and how he just listens to his Dad and Uncle 'cos they know more than him etc. Then, just like every time I get talking to someone who has this irrational hatred of Corbyn, I started telling him about Labour policy - and that's when he started actually getting interested. Asking me questions, genuinely taking it in.

And that's what gives me some hope - it doesn't take much to cut through the bullshit and the lies if you actually engage with people. Labour's policies are surefire winners for the VAST majority of this country, if only they can just be persuaded to actually listen to what they are.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Bardeh posted:

It's just an anecdotal example, but here's how a conversation with a coworker went last week. We were chatting about Brexit, and he told me that he doesn't follow politics and doesn't have much interest in it BUT immediately afterwards, he told me about his 'lifelong Labour voter' uncle who has told him that Corbyn is a 'weasel oval office' who only wants to stop Brexit and has tried to stop it every step of the way. He just accepted that as fact. I would once upon a time have decided not to engage on the topic when someone so vehemently holds the opposite opinion to me, especially a coworker, but I decided to see what he actually knew about the Parliamentary arithmetic etc. Like how the ERG were the ones who originally wrecked the government's majority and how it's a bit ridiculous to suggest Corbyn's at fault when he's never actually been in charge of the process. He listened mostly in silence, just telling me how he doesn't pay any attention to any of that stuff and how he just listens to his Dad and Uncle 'cos they know more than him etc. Then, just like every time I get talking to someone who has this irrational hatred of Corbyn, I started telling him about Labour policy - and that's when he started actually getting interested. Asking me questions, genuinely taking it in.

And that's what gives me some hope - it doesn't take much to cut through the bullshit and the lies if you actually engage with people. Labour's policies are surefire winners for the VAST majority of this country, if only they can just be persuaded to actually listen to what they are.

I've had a few conversations like this, unfortunately working in IT a lot of my honestly decent colleagues are very sensible centrist can't we all just get along types, but are acutely aware that people worse off are being poo poo on. I've found it fruitful to lead with how poo poo the media is and how little they report on Labour then yeah, go right into policies. Fortunately a good number of my colleagues are northerners, so there's always that latent Thatcher hatred you can draw out.

Another good in I've found with my particular employment circle is there's often a complaint along the lines of "I wouldn't mind my taxes if they got loving spent on anything <cue how poo poo the NHS is, how bad roads are etc>" which is a nice path down to the rich fuckers we work for paying their share and the funds actually being used for infrastructure rather than lining rich Tory shite pockets. You'd be surprised how many melts have just got kids they worry about and they barely scraped together the house they went four fold into debt for. Labour policy resonates with a lot of folks but it gets no loving mainstream coverage.

Talk to people.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 23, 2019

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Ufft the thread was more fun last night

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Christmas election eh

A guess: CON single largest party but hung parliament, LAB/LDEM/SNP c&s govt

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

While I obviously haven't gathered enough people for a poll, the mood seems to be that Corbyn is unfashionable. He's not cool.

Compared to noted cool guys like BoJo and Gove?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

People thinking they're too cool for politics is a thing unfortunately, one of the many brands of idiocy that has been instilled into people by capitalism.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Random Integer posted:

Compared to noted cool guys like BoJo and Gove?

Bojo and Gove are authentic dudes with bling and SWAG who don't give a gently caress. Corbyn is a square old dude who likes jam and drives around in the care car.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

So what's going on in brexit land today chaps

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Whatever rear end in a top hat came up with the caring = losing idea wants hanging, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

ronya posted:

Christmas election eh

A guess: CON single largest party but hung parliament, LAB/LDEM/SNP c&s govt

What makes you think the lib dems would prop up Corbyn? They'd pretty clearly collapse and anti-tory coalition on account of being Tories