Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

EssOEss posted:

Am I seeing it right that the water is flowing through holes and not going over the top, which is higher than the water? That's what prevents the boats from going in? Or is it simply due to the fact that there's not much water going over the lip, so any boats would get stuck on the lip?

A very thin 'membrane' of water is spilling over a rigid lip that's just below surface level (and why the surface remains at that level). Imagine slowly lowering a large bucket into a still pond juuust low enough to achieve the most minimal, uniform inflow of water over the rim-- that's what's happening.

Edit:

StrangersInTheNight posted:

ok but what does 'fine' constitute? those boats could still fall in, and what happens if they do?

It'd take some pretty significant effort to take a kayak full of dad bod and move it up and over a big wide concrete lip in <1" of relatively gently flowing water. Not undoable, sure, but it's not a whirlpool like the plug was pulled out of a tub-- it's a horizontal version of the little hole in the bathroom sink that prevents overflow.

(EFB while looking for a pic, ugh)

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EssOEss posted:

Am I seeing it right that the water is flowing through holes and not going over the top, which is higher than the water? That's what prevents the boats from going in? Or is it simply due to the fact that there's not much water going over the lip, so any boats would get stuck on the lip?
The latter. Unless there were an incredible surge in the reservoir level it can't really rise any significant amount over the lip, and if that happened it would naturally dissipate back down very quickly, because that's the entire point of these overflow paths. Excess water goes this way where it can be controlled rather than going over the dam and possibly damaging the structure and/or the earth around it.

Here's what it looks like when dry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSnWsGbDoxE

The guy also goes inside from the outlet.

glynnenstein posted:

I wouldn't say always. These kill people pretty routinely.
Definitely not impossible to end up going down, but like being hit by a train it's one of those things that tends to indicate you were doing something dumb to get in to that situation in the first place.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 22, 2019

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

yeah I think the spillways that really get people are more common on rivers and are called weirs. They generate nasty currents that will suck you down and keep you there

like this

though I doubt that a person can keep oriented enough to find the bottom much less swim out

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Practical engineering has a video about weirs and I think there's one type where you just can't really get out of it at all.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah stuff can get stuck in a hole like that for literal days at a time. sometimes a person drowns in one and the rescue/recovery crew just has to wait for the water to spit the body out.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Stanky Bean posted:

yeah I think the spillways that really get people are more common on rivers and are called weirs. They generate nasty currents that will suck you down and keep you there

like this

though I doubt that a person can keep oriented enough to find the bottom much less swim out

step 1: relax

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

yeah stuff can get stuck in a hole like that for literal days at a time. sometimes a person drowns in one and the rescue/recovery crew just has to wait for the water to spit the body out.

'Doing this thing is RISKING CERTAIN DEATH' is wonderfully noncommittal for something so ominous.

No way I can get to land
I'm just swirling 'round with sand
Weir science (doot doot doo doodoo doot)

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Somebody should get the Arschersetzer guy to do "drowning machine"

Ertrinkungsmaschine

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Mozi posted:

step 2: don't do it

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

wolrah posted:

Definitely not impossible to end up going down, but like being hit by a train it's one of those things that tends to indicate you were doing something dumb to get in to that situation in the first place.

this hole, it was made for me

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Idgi is death certain or not????

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BattleMaster posted:

http://isdeathcertain.com/

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

Less certain than you'd think!

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/two-women-elude-bow-rivers-drowning-machine/article4277142/

Anywayse they re-worked that whole area of the river now

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Thanks, the Internet!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TIL: these are also called glory holes

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Someone post the vid of ducks using that as a slide

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Homebuilding worker shocked, then falls into trench

Should have gotten a confined space permit.

e: well, they updated the story to say he died and now it's a lot less fun

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 22, 2019

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Ft McMurray howareyanow?

Good'n you?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

BattleMaster posted:

On a long enough timeline, yes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

My planet needs me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Larry Poppins just doin' his thing.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Sweet time lapse:
https://twitter.com/NiwaWeather/status/1186519410820833285

Started around 2pm, still burning now at 10:30pm, roof now sacrificed to save the rest of the building, expected to be out 2am to 4am at this stage, but high winds expected after midnight.
I'm not a roof-opening expert, but that's no reason for me to not spout an opinion!

They can't get at the burning straw layer because it has a layer of water proof butybutymol (sp?) on top. Why can't they run ahead of the fire (they can see which direction it's going) and rip a chunk of roof up, start pouring water in there? Roof is ruined anyway. This way they could save a portion of it vs expected 100% loss.

Good work on the evacuation though. Looks like they had that sorted.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I think that the idea is generally not for firefighters to risk their lives to save a building. If it’s evacuated and no threat to the surroundings, let the insurance companies worry about the roof. Just because you can see which direction it’s going doesn’t mean it hasn’t undermined the section you’re going to step on.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Stepping foot in a burning building is far different than stepping foot on a burning building.

Phanatic posted:

I think that the idea is generally not for firefighters to risk their lives to save a building. If it’s evacuated and no threat to the surroundings, let the insurance companies worry about the roof. Just because you can see which direction it’s going doesn’t mean it hasn’t undermined the section you’re going to step on.

This is the approach to forest fires they took when I lived in AK. If it's not threatening anyone, just let it go. Of course, when it does threaten someone, the results look apocalyptic. I can't find the pic, but there was a forest fire that made its way on to fort greely and burned down a few buildings and it looked like an apocalyptic inferno.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/famously-low-bridge-to-be-raised-youtube-devastated/

https://twitter.com/movesafedurham/status/1185299121030217729?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvxDhgDjVCA

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

cowards

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
On hearing about the raising of the 11'8" bridge, overpasses around the world have started stepping up to fill the void.

Thornbury, Melbourne, Australia, about 25 minutes ago. I don't think my wife's making her meeting.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Memento posted:

On hearing about the raising of the 11'8" bridge, overpasses around the world have started stepping up to fill the void.

I think it's more the trucks trying to fill the void.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
The bridge tolls in my city will work hard to fill that void.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Crustashio posted:

The bridge tolls in my city will work hard to fill that void.

(13'5" and 11'8" for us Americans)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
11 foot 8, I will remember you.

I posted this in another thread, but gently caress I'm doing it here too.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

kimihia posted:

I'm not a roof-opening expert, but that's no reason for me to not spout an opinion!

They can't get at the burning straw layer because it has a layer of water proof butybutymol (sp?) on top. Why can't they run ahead of the fire (they can see which direction it's going) and rip a chunk of roof up, start pouring water in there? Roof is ruined anyway. This way they could save a portion of it vs expected 100% loss.

Good work on the evacuation though. Looks like they had that sorted.

Firefighters will make cuts to try to limit the spread of the fire by releasing hot gases before they start igniting things and to gain access to fight the fire. Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwPYHg-NQ0Q

These guys have a lot of expertise to know what they can and can't do with every different kind of structure out there. Some types of construction just shouldn't be cut or aren't safe to be up on when aflame. Also, some membranes will jam the saws they use to cut so it's not going to be an option in the first place, but I dunno any of what was going on in the case in question.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/mhgrPfY.mp4

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

That's a good way to fuckle up your truck.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Of all the things that could have gone wrong, "body falls off chassis" was a fair way down the list of things I would have guessed.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
*wife spazzes out behind me while we're cuddling on the couch* (I like being the little spoon, it makes me feel little :3: )

"Hey babe you ok?"

"...ya..."

"You fall asleep?"

"Ya... and I dreamt I got zapped by a tool."

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That's a well-known phenomenon, which I experience regularly, and hate:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/sleepless-in-america/201503/the-mystery-why-you-can-wake-shock

As for the fire in downtown Auckland I'm a little shocked no one has posted the obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adgx9wt63NY

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mozi posted:

step 2: let your lungs full of water so your body will flow along the bottom

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Memento posted:

Of all the things that could have gone wrong, "body falls off chassis" was a fair way down the list of things I would have guessed.

Great way to reduce your GVWR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Great way to reduce your GVWR.

Check out this one weird trick! Weigh scale operators hate him!