Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Knight spends so much time jerking off Jason and Ghost Joker that I honestly forgot Scarecrow was even in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Origins is not very good, no. It was glitchy for me. Like really badly so. And there was so much of it that felt lazy (like them flat out reusing the Bane sidequest from City).

Knight was cool though. Was it the best ever game? No. But it had some good ideas and fun gameplay moments. He said the "I am vengeance" line!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I mean nobody wanted to see Joker again, but the end being him pathetically begging as he fades out kind of made up for it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That part was kinda neat but it was also absurd because it's someone beating a prion infection through sheer force of will. There's a limit to what I'll accept even for Batman.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Maybe I'm crazy, but if gladly play Origins again over Knight any day. Even with it's many flaws I thought the story was better and the gameplay was better simply because it didn't have a single tank fight. I don't think I've ever been more frustrated with a boss fight than the one against Knight's giant driller machine.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lurdiak posted:

That part was kinda neat but it was also absurd because it's someone beating a prion infection through sheer force of will. There's a limit to what I'll accept even for Batman.

Well no, Scarecrow basicly reversed the effect by putting too much toxin in him.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it was whatever Scarecrow had in his toxin that was the special sauce that counteracted Joker's infection

JT Smiley posted:

Maybe I'm crazy, but if gladly play Origins again over Knight any day. Even with it's many flaws I thought the story was better and the gameplay was better simply because it didn't have a single tank fight. I don't think I've ever been more frustrated with a boss fight than the one against Knight's giant driller machine.

:agreed:

Maybe it's just because I got lucky and didn't experience any of the bugs I heard other people had, but I found Origins to be a very enjoyable experience.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Even without the bugs, stuff like locking Critical Strikes behind a sidequest and the super punishing challenge trees (there's like 1 or 2 encounters in the whole campaign where you can do one of the Predator ones) and Electric Shock super mode made the game feel half-baked to me. A half-baked Arkham game is still pretty good, but not up to par. And I was more frustrated with Joker hi-jacking a possibly neat Black Mask story more than him being a ghost.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, the upgrade system in Origins was hosed up. Especially since it's super easy to accidentally make some of them impossible. I did like Origins, I put it and Knight on the same level myself, but I hope to gently caress that WB Montreal learned their lesson from that.

I was also disappointed that Joker took over Origins story. I mean, I thought it was fine, but I think a more Black Mask focused story with Joker as a side mission would have been way more interesting.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It was just so unnecessary, especially without Hamill. They should have just done a tease at the end like in Begins but they had to shove him in there

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I used to be hard on orgins for not being as good as the arkham games but after knight it’s definitely better. Still it had stupid stuff like thr pay off Nigma was a goddamn riddler trophy. The upgrade tree sucked. I get it they were trying to make it feel Batman is barely starting his career... wish the other fights had more focus. It sucked how some just felt like a henchmen fight but it is difficult to beat Slades fight. The story beats were great. I very much enjoyed that Bane was very smart and how they retcon why hes kinda a dumbass in the other games. Granted City hes fine so.... :v. I do have faith if they do a Court of Owls game that would be neat.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Oct 20, 2019

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I liked the Riddler trophy thing, but hated pretty much everything else in Origins.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Batman being a giant jerk who starts his career by breaking into GCPD headquarters and beating up the police felt odd. It was definitely less tonally fun than the previous games.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

On the plus side I got to beat up the police.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Android Blues posted:

Batman being a giant jerk who starts his career by breaking into GCPD headquarters and beating up the police felt odd. It was definitely less tonally fun than the previous games.

That's pretty common in early Batman stories though. GCPD is ridiculously corrupt before Gordon takes over

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

It was just so unnecessary, especially without Hamill. They should have just done a tease at the end like in Begins but they had to shove him in there

Troy Baker did a pretty amazing job all things considered. I'd actually argue he's a better stand in for Hamill than Strong is for Sorkin, although she's probably played the role longer by now.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Retro Futurist posted:

That's pretty common in early Batman stories though. GCPD is ridiculously corrupt before Gordon takes over

Yeah, the third of the four issues in Year One is just Bats fighting a SWAT team.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Bitching about a game because it starts with you beating up cops makes me suspicious of you.

I loved the PS4 Spider-Man game, but I wasn't a fan of the side missions that were based around improving the NYPD's surveillance network.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I’d like a Batman game where you have to contend with fighting cops and criminals and the gameplays is mostly about using your tech and supplies to get through increasingly dangerous situations rather than just a beat em up.

A game that puts Batman on the back foot could be really exciting.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Arkham games have done some trippy stuff, so I’d love to play as Zurr En Arrh Batman while Batmite floats around you.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Current scuttlebutt is that it's called "Arkham Legacy" and the entire Batfamily is playable.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
finally the marvel game you've all been waiting for ThanosDoom

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Waffleman_ posted:

Current scuttlebutt is that it's called "Arkham Legacy" and the entire Batfamily is playable.

Alfred?
Harold?
Oracle?
Ace?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

If Oracle's gameplay is just the first level of Wolfenstein 2 but with clowns instead of Nazis, I'll buy that game.

Maybe the clowns are also Nazis? I dunno, Gotham's weird.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

That'd be neat if they went back to City where there was an appreciable difference between the characters instead of them all just basically being Batman but with fewer gadgets.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Lobok posted:

Alfred?
Harold?
Oracle?
Ace?

TBH Ace, Damien and/or Barb driving the Batmobile might actually make it interesting but probably way worse.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The main question I'd have with playable Bat family is whether or not you make distinctions in their gameplay. I think that in Knight Robin and Nightwing had different gear, but that was about it. If you're building the entire game around having multiple characters it seems to me you ought to make them more distinct than that.

Basically what I'm saying is: put Cassandra Cain in there, and she should play like Gene from Godhand

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Bitching about a game because it starts with you beating up cops makes me suspicious of you.

I loved the PS4 Spider-Man game, but I wasn't a fan of the side missions that were based around improving the NYPD's surveillance network.

It's more just that it feels out of character for Batman, who is usually characterised as a Cop Fan even when the cops are corrupt. He even loves cops in Origins, from what I recall, but he's like, "sadly I must brutally pummel the good cops to steal files from their computer".

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Android Blues posted:

It's more just that it feels out of character for Batman, who is usually characterised as a Cop Fan even when the cops are corrupt. He even loves cops in Origins, from what I recall, but he's like, "sadly I must brutally pummel the good cops to steal files from their computer".

Nah, he gets chewed out by Alfred for being pretty brutal with them. Then he rebuttals with like "These cops are corrupt assholes. I'm beating them up as much as I want, shut up."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Time for me to post my favourite sequence from Arkham Origins.

I always love this bit. For me this makes the game worth while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbseMaCIfdo&t=100s

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
A buddy just linked me to an ign video on the avengers game. It looks like it's got the potential to be loaded with microtransactions. Gonna hold off on this until we find out.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That was pretty much confirmed early on, it's going to be a games a service thing

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ahhh that sucks. Is there a games thread on it? I couldn't find one.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There likely won't be for a while. It was one of the big losers at E3 due to its trailer being kinda bad, so it's got a firm dose of anti-hype.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wanderer posted:

There likely won't be for a while. It was one of the big losers at E3 due to its trailer being kinda bad, so it's got a firm dose of anti-hype.
Yeah the graphics were a little ehhhh, the gameplay was reminiscent of the bad Iron Man Xbox360 game, it wasn't clear how you switched from characters in missions, and the recent reveals of a bunch of gearslots kind of screams Destiny but MCU levels of passable.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They also very conspicuously tiptoed around what kind of game it would even be for like half an hour.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tony Stark's haircut was all the reason I needed to skip that game.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, Nolan North being Iron Man weirded me out more than Tony having soccer mom hair.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I didn't care for the way they aped the movies aesthetic, but clearly wasn't the movie universe, but when the preview of Kamala's fighting style dropped, I was on board. Now I'm back off. gently caress "games as a service" Just sell me a complete loving game and maybe release an expansion pack somewhere down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I’m tentative but I definitely need more info. If it’s just cosmetic items or whatever I can live without it, if it’s something that directly affects gameplay yeah gently caress that