Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Hellioning posted:

I mean, that is basically entirely what they are doing anyway.

I'm more or less assuming that vermain's prediction is going to come true where that current ida will be immediately outed as the stupidest loving thing of all time and they'll dial it back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Fair.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Vermain posted:

The new support items are real loving good. They have the highest gold efficiency in the game (the new Remnant of the Watchers equivalent has 426% efficiency on its last upgrade!), and their slot efficiency is only slightly worse than their old incarnations. This opens up a lot more room for early laning itemization instead of having to funnel everything into upgrading it, and leaves you with a cool 1400~ gold to spend on whatever. You could theoretically do some weird poo poo like support Ashe with much less difficulty compared to now. Only big downside is that the mana regen and CDR were removed from every item, but that's a minor issue.

Only thing I'm worried about is if tank supports can survive in the new ecoystem. Relic and its AP equivalent don't have a heal anymore, and Aftershock got super hosed: it's now 35 + 80% of bonus Armor/MR, which means early game engage supports are missing out on a good 30-40 Armor/MR when they engage. It feels like a single engage that doesn't result in a kill is just a straight up death sentence with the changes.

i can say with confidence that having a shitload of free gold on an item has never been a problem in the past

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

i can say with confidence that having a shitload of free gold on an item has never been a problem in the past

They've got an anti-funnel mechanic ala what they stuck on jungle items that severely penalizes CS gold if you start farming more than a stray wave, and their combat stats are worse than the current first tier support items, so I doubt it'll be a problem like it's been with Frostmancy. I think they're mostly trying to recreate the good part of Frostmancy (opening up the support pool to champions who need larger early gold infusions to function) without the baggage that came with it.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Nazzadan posted:

With pretty much every genre of game I would agree with you other than auto chess, it's a staple of the genre. The mod did it, Underlords does it, the standalone on the EGS does it, TFT should do it. The game should be about going with the flow of what the game gets you rather than forcing a comp, and radically changing what the game can get you just goes hand in hand with that imo.

I'm open to Riot trying to do it less frequently and we'll see how it pans out but I personally find it really fun when auto chess games throw established knowledge out the window and make you learn how to use a new unit, item, etc.

Edit 2: Okay I don't mean ENTIRE roster revamps like this, fwiw. Stuff like this is better left for once or twice a year max.

mod and standalone are the same thing, and underlords is basically a fork of the mod. this is not like some established genre that has been around for decades where trying to change something is reinventing the wheel

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Underlords is pretty radically different than Drodo's afaik but fair point that the genre is still new and people can do whatever they want. I'm sure Riot will do something fun and good.

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

Monicro posted:

I don't say this lightly but honestly they should consider just removing klepto at this point and replacing it with a completely different concept. It's been a balance nightmare ever since the new runes were added and there's only like 2 or 3 champions that use it regularly outside of the aforementioned ranged-vs-melee matchups anyway

The whole inspiration tree has been a balance nightmare, particularly when every pro player was taking it as a secondary and every game had at least 5 stopwatches. Anything that gives extra gold or free items is going to be abused because it either helps you keep up with your opponent if you have less CS or you take over the lane if you break even/beat them in CS.

Back when klepto was called "bandit" it worked fine because it was so far down the utility tree (in the old mastery setup) that only supports ever took it and it was a cute way to get some extra gold.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Karthus jungle is pretty much freelo and nobody bans it as much as they should below master.

Also Garen.

I'm a Karthus main, why should I be playing him in the nightmare hellscape that is Jungle?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I'm a Karthus main, why should I be playing him in the nightmare hellscape that is Jungle?

Consistent starts, higher gold and exp income, don't need to build a tear for mana and can go straight to a oblivion orb or defensive hourglass after runic echos, the echo proc is handy for proccing dark harvest and finally the joy of rolling up to a lane with your ultra-farm and one shotting someone with a dark harvest proc that has been getting over a stack per minute.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Consistent starts, higher gold and exp income, don't need to build a tear for mana and can go straight to a oblivion orb or defensive hourglass after runic echos, the echo proc is handy for proccing dark harvest and finally the joy of rolling up to a lane with your ultra-farm and one shotting someone with a dark harvest proc that has been getting over a stack per minute.

I thought Jungle was significantly worse than laning for gold/EXP? At least, I'm always the first to hit LV6 as Mid Karthus, much faster than either Jungler.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 23, 2019

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

I thought Jungle was significantly worse than laning for gold/EXP? At least, I'm always the first to hit LV6 as Mid Karthus, much faster than either Jungler.

It's not uncommon to hit level 6 at 5-6 minutes with runic echos built if you got some early kills and fullcleared twice or stole some camps from the other side.

Reason you outlevel is because most jungles don't know how to actually make efficient use of their time and get a good exp/gold per minute income.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 23, 2019

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Karthus Jungler gets to Ult outside everyone's FoV and in situations where there's no enemy available to interrupt you and there's no risk that you'll get countered by your mid lane + jungler combo ganking/stalling you, and unless you are high challenger winning literally every lane so hard that you can also turn that lane win into a game victory, then any rhetoric about how good you're doing in lane is countered by "not good enough".

Karthus Jungler is essentially risk-free PVE with a global ult. Both the leveling and the ulting are risk-free enough that you get consistency, which is way more important than the opportunity to make high risk high reward crazy plays in solo queue, especially when you're, I presume, boosting like Ra Ra Rasputin probably is and "winning every game in a massive win streak consistently until plat" is more important than anything else. That you also get to annoy people with ganks that no one is really fully expecting is a bonus.

It's basically a consistency pick that has very little margin for error or counter-play once you know what you're doing. Being worse than laning for gold/exp, whether true or false, is completely and utterly irrelevant for how it works.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
That hits the nail on the head for the most part, consistency is key.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

yeah, it's basically this: do you want to play karthus with zed in your face for the first fifteen minutes of the game or with the chickens in your face?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

When does the new TFT patch I hit? I wanna get my bar far enough along to hit the stupid little legends egg and I'm only almost at the Storm arena.

Osci
Oct 11, 2016

Miftan posted:

When does the new TFT patch I hit? I wanna get my bar far enough along to hit the stupid little legends egg and I'm only almost at the Storm arena.

Next patch is in two weeks and new missions come today. If you're almost at the arena you shouldn't have a problem to reach the egg.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Osci posted:

Next patch is in two weeks and new missions come today. If you're almost at the arena you shouldn't have a problem to reach the egg.

Excellent, thank you.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Another thing is that Karthus jungle will always have blue buff, if you are mid karthus depends who your jungler is and what elo you are in.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I've been playing a handful of ARAMs recently and think I want to make the jump back into Summoner's Rift. It's been a year since I played one game of SR, and that last time I played I queued top/mid and was instantly autofilled into jungle and murdered by the first camp I ran into because the jungle was completely different and our ADC yelled racial slurs at me. Most of my heavy League playtime was Season 3 - Season 6 in teambuilder, which was the best mode and I don't know why it's gone.

Who are a handful of safe champs that are decent right now Top/Jungle/Mid that I can use to ease back into the game without worrying about them being banned? Garen was always my go-to but it looks like he's constantly pick/banned right now for some reason? Also is there any "you absolutely need to know this has changed to be able to play at all" things that have changed in the last couple seasons I would have missed?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
if you want to jungle then go into the practice tool and play around with pathing and how to clear well. you can learn so much from just a few trial runs

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Slaapaav posted:

if you want to jungle then go into the practice tool and play around with pathing and how to clear well. you can learn so much from just a few trial runs

You can even turn off cooldowns for a moment on the first pull and do a free smite to simulate a leash

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Slaapaav posted:

Ya this is a good tip, you can restart the game without loading screen too if you mess up.

Aerox posted:

I've been playing a handful of ARAMs recently and think I want to make the jump back into Summoner's Rift. It's been a year since I played one game of SR, and that last time I played I queued top/mid and was instantly autofilled into jungle and murdered by the first camp I ran into because the jungle was completely different and our ADC yelled racial slurs at me. Most of my heavy League playtime was Season 3 - Season 6 in teambuilder, which was the best mode and I don't know why it's gone.

Who are a handful of safe champs that are decent right now Top/Jungle/Mid that I can use to ease back into the game without worrying about them being banned? Garen was always my go-to but it looks like he's constantly pick/banned right now for some reason? Also is there any "you absolutely need to know this has changed to be able to play at all" things that have changed in the last couple seasons I would have missed?

Oh don't worry your actual performance doesn't really save you from flamers. I've been 10-0 and been flamed harder than games where I did nothing but feed. Some people will just flame no matter what. I recommend just disabling chat. I haven't seen 1 single game where anything useful has been communicated through texts in 6 seasons of playing this game. I don't know if they had the ability to ping cooldowns in season6 i forgot but all you need in terms of communication from your team is available through pings.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's absolutely nothing in LoL that will prevent you from being constantly offended by random people. No performance, no Elo, no champion, no role. Unless you're playing teams with friends who don't rage and always mute your opponents, your best bet is either to learn to ignore what others are saying or mute all if you can't.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I've had one single positive interaction in chat since I came back, and even that was half bad. I was blue team jungle, started at my red, and didn't find out my blue had been invaded until I got to it. So it was too late to go vertical and could have been avoided if my top laner had eyes on the river at the start. Not the end of the world though and he might have just ended up giving up first blood at 1 minute instead. But he then died in lane and complained to me about it for not helping him in his lane. When I explained my blue got invaded at the start he immediately apologised and we were cool after that. Had 10 times as many people flaming though so I can't say it's worth it.

The flip side is the most obnoxious ones are constantly pinging your items and cooldowns anyway so even if you have chat muted you'll have to mute the idiots' pings regardless. Something about this game just makes people rage, and for some reason they think that getting their teammates to also play on tilt will somehow be an improvement instead of making it worse.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I try to be very nice in chat to counterbalance all the rage and salt but I also muteall A LOT

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I am a chaos gamer.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sexpansion posted:

I try to be very nice in chat to counterbalance all the rage and salt but I also muteall A LOT

The true secret is mute all and always say nice things in chat, completely disregarding whatever others may be saying in reaction to that or not.

Essentially playing like a well-mannered bot.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Scikar posted:

Something about this game just makes people rage, and for some reason they think that getting their teammates to also play on tilt will somehow be an improvement instead of making it worse.

Ragers have no actual interest in winning. They just want everyone else to feel even more miserable than they do.

The best is when they use the "I'm criticizing you so you'll play better" smokescreen, as if anyone in the loving world believes that.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

inthesto posted:

The best is when they use the "I'm criticizing you so you'll play better" smokescreen, as if anyone in the loving world believes that.

ive got some bad news for you about tyler1 fans and or 70% of the people from EUW

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Yordles should have been hamsters to begin with

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Maybe TFT and Runeterra need their own thread(s) or something

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

yeah

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Toxic Mental posted:

yeah with the thousands of posts every day about tft and runeterra, a game which you can not even play right now, all league discussion is being drowned out. that aside though i do think the thread should be remade under the banner of riot games in general, not just league

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I like how Legends of Runeterra included cards of a bunch of Noxian Teenagers who dressed up like Glad, that amused me.

He has a fan club, which makes sense given in lore he runs a weird hedonistic blood cult.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

we should have no less than one individual thread for each champion and game mode and perhaps even different threads to address individual champs in the different game modes, i believe there's enough traffic to support that

strong bird
May 12, 2009

all the fad games that are going to immediately peter out like TFT (and it already has) should have their own threads so everyone can gauge how dead they are

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

now thats what i want to read about, how dead whatever i dont like is!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Even with TFT released the thread barely moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
The more I post about a game, the less I'm actually playing it.

I can start posting more about TFT now, because since today's patch the game crashes immediately after committing me to matchmaking and any attempt to reconnect comes with the cost of another crash.

I wonder if I should try to hop on PBE. Maybe that client would actually work!