Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The Baldur's Gate games are the more well-rounded and similar in pacing/distribution of content to newer RPGs, so I think they're the most accessible to people these days. Plus, Baldur's Gate 2 is rightly regarded as a masterpiece and it's a game that I recommend to anyone who can endure AD&D 2nd ed. rules.

My poor boyfriend has never played the Baldur's Gate games, but picked this up for the PS4 because he knew I wanted it. Well, I wanted it for the Switch so I could play it at work during the downtime, but he only wanted it on the PS4 for some reason. Anyway, he's played a lot of DnD 4.0 and 5.0, and figured how different could 2.0 be? I helped walk him through character creation, then he decided it was all too clunky and said he's not going to play it anymore. So on the one hand, I got a copy of the game for free essentially. But on the other, it's not on the dang console I wanted.

I also got Planescape Torment for the Switch, and man going from Divinity Original Sin 2 to Planescape is giving me whiplash. I know there's a 20 year difference but man I miss some of the quality of life stuff. Oh well, maybe I'll get past the starting city this time, now that I actually have decent time to play games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Soysaucebeast posted:

My poor boyfriend has never played the Baldur's Gate games, but picked this up for the PS4 because he knew I wanted it. Well, I wanted it for the Switch so I could play it at work during the downtime, but he only wanted it on the PS4 for some reason. Anyway, he's played a lot of DnD 4.0 and 5.0, and figured how different could 2.0 be? I helped walk him through character creation, then he decided it was all too clunky and said he's not going to play it anymore. So on the one hand, I got a copy of the game for free essentially. But on the other, it's not on the dang console I wanted.

I also got Planescape Torment for the Switch, and man going from Divinity Original Sin 2 to Planescape is giving me whiplash. I know there's a 20 year difference but man I miss some of the quality of life stuff. Oh well, maybe I'll get past the starting city this time, now that I actually have decent time to play games.

They're kind of on opposite ends of the isometric RPG spectrum. Original Sin 2 has, at least in my opinion, the best RPG combat ever. It's storyline doesn't do that much for me, although I do like the party members. Planescape:Torment's combat is a big nothing. Some people say that it ruins the game or that it's miserable--I think that's an exaggeration. The combat is simplistic, but at least the fact its real time means that it goes by really quickly, and it's also very easy. However, the point of the game is fully the story and exploring the world (not in the Elder Scrolls sense of diving into a cave to find an artifact, but on a seemingly generic NPC having a weird/interesting story).

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Go back to old school habits. Enter every house if you can. Talk to everybody. Explore maps fully.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I gotta wonder who's this for.

I mean who's up for an old skool RPG experience that also doesn't have a PC that could run it and where it'd be vastly more playable.

I don't doubt they gave it the best they could but come on, it must be clunky as gently caress on a controller.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Deptfordx posted:

I mean who's up for an old skool RPG experience that also doesn't have a PC that could run it and where it'd be vastly more playable.

I don't doubt they gave it the best they could but come on, it must be clunky as gently caress on a controller.

They weren't allowed to make Baldur's Gate 3 and in terms of cost/effort to profit, porting BG to consoles is probably way better than making a whole new game. Plus, I think Pillars and Divinity did better on consoles than anyone thought they would.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I've seen barely anyone talking about the console releases outside of basically this thread. I think they probably bombed big time.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

I've got the games on PC, but for some reason I just don't really enjoy playing games on the PC much lately. I picked Planescape up for the switch and I'm enjoying the portability with it. I can take the switch when I go to work or wherever, but I wouldn't be able to take my PC with me. It's just more convenient.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Soysaucebeast posted:

I've got the games on PC, but for some reason I just don't really enjoy playing games on the PC much lately. I picked Planescape up for the switch and I'm enjoying the portability with it. I can take the switch when I go to work or wherever, but I wouldn't be able to take my PC with me. It's just more convenient.

Yeah, I'm very excited about the possibility of having a solid portable version of some of my favorite games.

But not for $50, Christ.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, I'm very excited about the possibility of having a solid portable version of some of my favorite games.

But not for $50, Christ.

if you have a tablet the mobile versions are very good and only :10bux:

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
It sounds silly, but most of a good Planescape playthrough is reading anyways, and Shadow Catboy's LP is really excellent https://lparchive.org/Planescape-Torment

Just reading the LP instead of reading the game makes sure you don't miss some of the really special moments (as I did my first time through) and saves you a ton of time skipping running around and so-so combat. It seems silly to recommend but I really do.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

I've seen barely anyone talking about the console releases outside of basically this thread. I think they probably bombed big time.

I use a game rental service sometimes.

They use a colour rating system for the availability of games.

Green is ready to go, Yellow is they'll be a delay, Red is they're all out and there's a queue to rent it.

I just checked and BG is on Green which is very rare for a brand new release.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I've been in the mood for NWN lately and it's apparently also coming to Switch later this year and I'm actually a bit tempted to try that version. Seems like it would control alright since it's only your character + AI followers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

netcat posted:

I've been in the mood for NWN lately and it's apparently also coming to Switch later this year and I'm actually a bit tempted to try that version. Seems like it would control alright since it's only your character + AI followers.

It was on sale for a buck on android, so I got it, aside from my phone just not having a big enough screen it controlled okay, and yeah, since you only have direct control of 1 character it's fine.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

To be honest, while I'm glad to hear that the console ports were good, I don't get the impression there was much of a demand for them in the first place.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Skwirl posted:

It was on sale for a buck on android, so I got it, aside from my phone just not having a big enough screen it controlled okay, and yeah, since you only have direct control of 1 character it's fine.

I don't see the point in buying NWN:EE if player modules aren't supported. But if they are, that's pretty great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

rocketrobot posted:

I don't see the point in buying NWN:EE if player modules aren't supported. But if they are, that's pretty great.

It really depends on price, but at least on android mods are supported. But I'd pay :tenbucks: for Hordes of the Underdark.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Android has the official modules by default (I think, I bought NWN for Android on sale ages ago and they're all there for me) as well as some optional ones you can install from their Premium Module Shop (some are free, some cost like $5). I'm sure you could easily sideload some player modules in just by dropping the files in the right folder, but they aren't accessible by default.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Playing an ironman run and, uh, I think I spontaneously combusted? I've never seen this screen appear in this manner before. Didn't even do that dying-bhaalspawn-glowy-cutscene business.

It's in Siege of Dragonspear, in that little mini zone where there's some vampire in a cave and you can team up with a couple vampire hunters to kill it, or turn on them and kill them. Wasted them, no issues. Vampire runs off and tells me to wait for his messenger to deliver me a neato ioun stone. I'm in the inventory screen sorting some stuff around and all six portraits vanish and this message pops up.

I'm obviously not counting this as an actual death... but what the gently caress?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I havent played Siege enough to remember that quest super in depth, but I know siege's scripting often pushes the limits of what the engine ever intended so it's entirely possible one of them crapped out and decided your ironman was over.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

maybe you got struck by lightning

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

THS posted:

maybe you got struck by lightning

I was thinking this too, but can’t remember if it happens in Siege.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

chaosapiant posted:

I was thinking this too, but can’t remember if it happens in Siege.

CHARNAME has over a hundred hitpoints (20 con half orc berserker), and nothing should be happening in the inventory menu, right?

I literally died right clicking a crusader pamphlet to read it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Does Siege work on BG1 or BG2 rules for inventory pausing?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I *think* inventory pausing works on BG2 rules in all of the Enhanced Editions because they're based on the BG2 engine, but I'm not 100% positive.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

bike tory posted:

Android has the official modules by default (I think, I bought NWN for Android on sale ages ago and they're all there for me) as well as some optional ones you can install from their Premium Module Shop (some are free, some cost like $5). I'm sure you could easily sideload some player modules in just by dropping the files in the right folder, but they aren't accessible by default.

You can supposedly load any player modules (they actually advertise 100% compatibility with old school pc nwn). But you do have to go through your android file system to drop the stuff in the correct places manually. No idea how (or if) that would work on consoles.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

When's Neverwinter Nights 2 Enhanced Edition?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

The way Beamdog's been talking about it, probably never. Trent Oster felt like the changes took it away from the central concept of NWN, some people have evoked rights issues (apparently Obsidian owns some NWN2 assets/technology?) and in general it sounds like Beamdog's gonna move away from doing Enhanced Editions. It's a pity, IMO, because a clean-up of the code could do NWN2 a lot of good, but that's the way it is.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

cheesetriangles posted:

That'll happen once they finish the orc caves.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

when’s Temple of Elemental Evil EE?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

THS posted:

when’s Temple of Elemental Evil EE?

Never, hopefully.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Deuce posted:

CHARNAME has over a hundred hitpoints (20 con half orc berserker), and nothing should be happening in the inventory menu, right?

I literally died right clicking a crusader pamphlet to read it.

Turns out a 20 con half orc berserker is not the best equipped for reading

THS
Sep 15, 2017

rocketrobot posted:

Never, hopefully.

it had great combat if you squinted your eyes!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TOEE is awesome and there's a few mods out (CO8 and Temple+) that clean up a lot and allow the game to run at modern resolutions. It holds up.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, install all the circle of eight stuff and it's quite fun.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

TOEE is awesome and there's a few mods out (CO8 and Temple+) that clean up a lot and allow the game to run at modern resolutions. It holds up.

I do still intend to play the Co8 Keep on the Borderlands conversion at some point. Because how could you not want to go to the Caverns of Chaos?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah TOEE is great fun.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Thank god i've got the habit of quicksaving often even on an ironman run. Nearly had a run terminated by the game crashing out. On reload, the last couple quicksaves and autosaves were corrupted. Chapter start autosaves were just loving gone, experience, etc were still present, but the contents of every container was wiped, map exploration was reset, and quests/encounters seem to have reset.

Had one quicksave from about an hour ago still functional.

Edit: my new favorite line to appear in the message box

Displacer Beast: Takes 2 nonlethal damage from Pheasant

Deuce fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 25, 2019

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You died, start over :colbert:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Deuce posted:

Playing an ironman run and, uh, I think I spontaneously combusted? I've never seen this screen appear in this manner before. Didn't even do that dying-bhaalspawn-glowy-cutscene business.

I don't know about Siege of Dragonspear, but BG:EE has a bug that can kill you for no apparent reason. It most commonly occurs in Durlag's Tower. See this report for further details.

You don't get any death animation or cutscene, just a "You Died" message, so it's probably the same bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Looking forward to start another playthrough, how's the modding scene these days? has the EE revitalized it? Is there a suitable replacement for the Big World Setup yet?