Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think when you base an RPG off a pre-existing franchise, ideally you're converting a setting, and free to create game mechanics that support a role-playing game in that setting, shaping them to emphasize the themes and conflicts that make that setting compelling. That's often not been done well of course, but there's nothing inherent in most movie/tv/book settings that prohibit creating some kind of RPG based on them.

What I've gathered from skimming like five pages of Pokemon chat is that people just want a tabletop fighting game, not really an RPG. Like you could make an RPG where you can roleplay a pikachu or a charizard or (that's the limit of my knowledge of pokemon names) whatever, and then go on adventures and have encounters and pretend what it's like to be a pokemon? Or I guess as a pokemon owner? Do three to five pokemon owners hang around together and solve problems and go on adventures and investigate mysteries? Are there character archetypes or different jobs or anything specific to the setting that would make such a character compelling, aside from [what kind of sword they use/what brand of gun they bought] what kind of pokemon they own?

I genuinely don't know, but I've seen nothing in the last few pages about those things, it all seems to be about whether or not you can adapt the specific mechanics of pokemon training and fighting to work as a game, and... that's already been done. It sounds like a fighting game rather than an RPG to me. A fighting game that I'm pretty sure my nephews already play, with cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Leperflesh posted:

I genuinely don't know, but I've seen nothing in the last few pages about those things, it all seems to be about whether or not you can adapt the specific mechanics of pokemon training and fighting to work as a game, and... that's already been done. It sounds like a fighting game rather than an RPG to me. A fighting game that I'm pretty sure my nephews already play, with cards.
Exactly.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Black August posted:

Imagine - Pokemon, but they're used more like Stands, gaining unique individual powers depending on who they bond with and how

Pretty much describing how Digimon goes in the Animes and Manga*

*everyone here should go read V-Tamer 01, as it's one of the single best things to come out of the franchise

Also to the people who are suggesting we're doing the wrong thing by focusing on how to implement mechanically things like battle systems and evolution mechanics rather than more roleplay oriented stuff, well to be frank the latter is something that literally almost every RPG in existence already covers to at least some extent, it's kinda pointless to reinvent the wheel there, meanwhile that other stuff(especially regarding evolution mechanics) is actually pretty important to nailing the feel of the genre

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Again, there's no point in adapting the pokemon games where you catch and train pokemon to beat bosses to tabletop. They're already gamified. You want to adapt the anime/manga, where characters and their pokemon buddies have random adventures and make friends in order to overcome difficulties.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Again, there's no point in adapting the pokemon games where you catch and train pokemon to beat bosses to tabletop. They're already gamified. You want to adapt the anime/manga, where characters and their pokemon buddies have random adventures and make friends in order to overcome difficulties.

pokemon games have characters who have adventures and make friends and overcome difficulties though?

i really don't get why people keep trying to draw lines in the sand about what pokemon property should/shouldn't be doable in an rpg. they're not so radically different that you can't find a good middle

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

pokemon games have characters who have adventures and make friends and overcome difficulties though?

i really don't get why people keep trying to draw lines in the sand about what pokemon property should/shouldn't be doable in an rpg. they're not so radically different that you can't find a good middle

Neither the player characters nor pokemon in the games have meaningful personalities. They're just an avatar and statsticks you throw at npcs with one sentence personalities opposing statsticks.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I don't see why they are exclusive personally. poo poo, moves that are unlocked via Bonds with your monster literally are in the video games, and called z-moves

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I mean Ash beats Brock by finally coming to an understanding with pikachu, then going and super charging him with an old bike generator. The way power is gained and progress is made, the entire story structures, are completely different.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Brother Entropy posted:

Sure, but they're not the player.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Neither the player characters nor pokemon in the games have meaningful personalities. They're just an avatar and statsticks you throw at npcs with one sentence personalities opposing statsticks.

'just an avatar and statstick' is every tabletop character before you sit down to the first session and start roleplaying

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

bro this is a different game this is PTU this isn't the videogame different game it won't give you EV training just try it bro

beeoi
Mar 4, 2012

The impression I'm getting here is that half the members present don't understand Pokemon at all, and the other half doesn't understand RPG design at all.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Brother Entropy posted:

'just an avatar and statstick' is every tabletop character before you sit down to the first session and start roleplaying
Not convinced. Most good RPGs have ways to bind backstory into the narrative that are more than just "number before numbers go up."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ilor posted:

Not convinced. Most good RPGs have ways to bind backstory into the narrative that are more than just "number before numbers go up."

nothing i've said disagrees with this

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

Uh no. Most games have ways of tying your character to other PCs and the world at large. I'm pretty sure you know this.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Halloween Jack posted:

Okay, now you're just trolling me

I was making a joke about how that description is basically Persona but now I'm longing for a finished Persona/Shin Megami Tensei type RPG too...

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Voidheart Symphony is getting kickstarted presently for the Persona side of SMT games.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Uh no. Most games have ways of tying your character to other PCs and the world at large. I'm pretty sure you know this.

okay so put that in the pokemon game? this doesn't really have anything to do with my point that the games and anime aren't radically different enough that you have to choose one or the other in making a pokemon tabletop game

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

fool_of_sound posted:

Old school games don't. You have some pokemon and you go into a dungeon to find treasure and stronger pokemon. Fuckin' get some stats and go fight poo poo and navigate and explore. That's not the same as wanting to play the card game. Acting like someone who wants that obviously just wants a board game is being wilfully dense.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Voidheart Symphony is getting kickstarted presently for the Persona side of SMT games.

I'd like a normal SMT game instead because I'm sick of loving Persona.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i played around with the idea of an SMT hack for gamma world years ago when gamma world was still kinda new (more DDS than regular SMT i guess) but instead i decided to be really depressed and do nothing constructive with my life for years

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

okay so put that in the pokemon game? this doesn't really have anything to do with my point that the games and anime aren't radically different enough that you have to choose one or the other in making a pokemon tabletop game

It's about how stories are told and power is gained, like I said.

In the games you gain power by defeating trainers and wild pokemon in battle. Almost all problems are resolved via combat (with a few via riding/HMs), and if you cannot succeed, the answer is to go do more combat with weaker stuff until you have become strong enough to do so.

In the anime/manga, you gain power by building trust and having adventures with your pokemon. While there is substantial combat, not all stories are or can be resolved through combat. Navigating difficult terrain, encountering temporary allies and travelling with them for a while, and helping people in need solve their problems are all stories worth telling, that an adaptation of the games isn't focused on. When you cannot overcome a problem, characters retreat, examine and reaffirm relationships with each other, their pokemon, and their temporary allies in order to develop new techniques that they use to defeat previously insurmountable obstacles.

Basically, the more focus there is on bringing over combat mechanics from the video games, the more you're just making a simplified tabletop version of the videogame, and less you're making a roleplaying game based in the pokemon setting.

Jimbozig posted:

Old school games don't. You have some pokemon and you go into a dungeon to find treasure and stronger pokemon. Fuckin' get some stats and go fight poo poo and navigate and explore. That's not the same as wanting to play the card game. Acting like someone who wants that obviously just wants a board game is being wilfully dense.

I mean, I guess there's potential design space for 'pokemon, the dungeon crawler' but I'm genuinely not sure why that wouldn't be handled better as a board game, or even just the video game.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 23, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I'm well aware but it's a very distinct modification of Persona 5's "raid the dungeon=enact systemic change" filtered through Rhapsody of Blood's mechanics. It does not have Personae as distinct manifestations the players control, or the JRPG-style combat mechanics, and the only way the tarot major arcana come into play is through Covenants as an analog to the social links in Persona.

This isn't to say it needs all of those because it stands perfectly fine as-is, but something a bit closer than that is what I had in mind.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

It's about how stories are told and power is gained, like I said.

In the games you gain power by defeating trainers and wild pokemon in battle. Almost all problems are resolved via combat (with a few via riding/HMs), and if you cannot succeed, the answer is to go do more combat with weaker stuff until you have become strong enough to do so.

In the anime/manga, you gain power by building trust and having adventures with your pokemon. While there is substantial combat, not all stories are or can be resolved through combat. Navigating difficult terrain, encountering temporary allies and travelling with them for a while, and helping people in need solve their problems are all stories worth telling, that an adaptation of the games isn't focused on. When you cannot overcome a problem, characters retreat, examine and reaffirm relationships with each other, their pokemon, and their temporary allies in order to develop new techniques that they use to defeat previously insurmountable obstacles.

Basically, the more focus there is on bringing over combat mechanics from the video games, the more you're just making a simplified tabletop version of the videogame, and less you're making a roleplaying game based in the pokemon setting.

all you've basically said is 'you gain exp in different ways and there should be non-combat mechanics', neither of which is at odds with the combat systems in the games

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Absolutely fair. Personally I’m waiting for a tabletop adaption of the Last Good Persona Game, Persona 2.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

Absolutely fair. Personally I’m waiting for a tabletop adaption of the Last Good Persona Game, Persona 2.

'i would like to negotiate with the demon'

[everyone at the table groans as the GM pulls out the 20x20 spreadsheet, contemplating death]

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

all you've basically said is 'you gain exp in different ways and there should be non-combat mechanics', neither of which is at odds with the combat systems in the games

Not really but whatever

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s a little weird to see the argument that an rpg system that primarily focuses on combat might as well just be a board game when games like D&D 4e are pretty much just systems for combat and are widely loved by the folks here

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Brother Entropy posted:

Except that all of the time and page-space you spend modeling those combat systems is time and page space you're not spending on other stuff. Pokemon is already an IP with a ton of inherent crunch, so unless you're planning on putting out a 1000+ page rulebook, your equivocation is either completely missing the point or intentionally disingenuous.

Put simply, the page count devoted to each of its various subsystems speaks volumes on what your game is about and how players will be spending their time at the tabletop. So if you're not going to dedicate serious space to these other mechanics needed to, you know, tell a collaborative story rather than just play fight-games, you're probably better off with a card or computer game.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s a little weird to see the argument that an rpg system that primarily focuses on combat might as well just be a board game when games like D&D 4e are pretty much just systems for combat and are widely loved by the folks here
You're not wrong, and I would actually posit that D&D hasn't been about role-playing since 3E was launched, and that in its current form it is at best a fantasy tac-sim game with the merest nod to its origins.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ilor posted:

You're not wrong, and I would actually posit that D&D hasn't been about role-playing since 3E was launched, and that in its current form it is at best a fantasy tac-sim game with the merest nod to its origins.

i mean, it's origin was 'tabletop wargame'

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I think there’s also a difference between a CCG and a board game and a Pokémon board game would be a lot of fun. Something where you capture your way across a league, racing your rival players to take down the champ. I don’t think the card game really does that?

I admit, I don’t really want a TTRPG of Pokémon, but somewhere between that and an RPG seems cool?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think there’s also a difference between a CCG and a board game and a Pokémon board game would be a lot of fun. Something where you capture your way across a league, racing your rival players to take down the champ. I don’t think the card game really does that?

I admit, I don’t really want a TTRPG of Pokémon, but somewhere between that and an RPG seems cool?

There was a board game that did that, actually. I don’t know if it was good or not, I never played it

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

fool_of_sound posted:

I mean, I guess there's potential design space for 'pokemon, the dungeon crawler' but I'm genuinely not sure why that wouldn't be handled better as a board game, or even just the video game.

So like in your mind there is no real reason why anyone should play a dungeon crawling RPG at all anymore? Now that we have Gloomhaven and tons of good dungeon videogames, there's no point?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ilor posted:

Except that all of the time and page-space you spend modeling those combat systems is time and page space you're not spending on other stuff. Pokemon is already an IP with a ton of inherent crunch, so unless you're planning on putting out a 1000+ page rulebook, your equivocation is either completely missing the point or intentionally disingenuous.

Put simply, the page count devoted to each of its various subsystems speaks volumes on what your game is about and how players will be spending their time at the tabletop. So if you're not going to dedicate serious space to these other mechanics needed to, you know, tell a collaborative story rather than just play fight-games, you're probably better off with a card or computer game.

Pathfinder 2e is 995 pages for the core rules, and that could work fine for a Pokemon RPG. One book with all the rules and moves, and then you have a starter pokedex with the first 152, build up from there.

And that's definitely a big enough IP you can sell two meaty rulebooks as a basic buy-in.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ilor posted:

kinda sounds like you're the one being disingenuous here, plenty of other tabletop games have managed to have crunchy combat and roleplay mechanics without one gobbling up the other

like, this is rapidly approaching 4e-era grognardery where combat and roleplay are treated like a zero sum game and 4e was worse for roleplaying than 3.5 because it had more involved combat that couldn't be easily skipped over

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I started reading PTU again because of this and it seems pretty drat fun, and I want to run a game of it now.

How it answers the questions we have posited in the thread is by giving pokemon tutor points which are an abstraction of your ability to teach it then making your player characters spend time teaching them. A lot of stuff is done that lets you teach them techniques, train them and teach them moves.

There seem to be neat synergies too, and there is a clear amount of effort put into the game. I might suggest giving it a scan.

thetoughestbean posted:

There was a board game that did that, actually. I don’t know if it was good or not, I never played it

Master Trainer is bad, basically a roll to hit game with very few actual decisions.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ilor posted:

Ilor posted:

These are some amazingly pretentious posts

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

So like in your mind there is no real reason why anyone should play a dungeon crawling RPG at all anymore? Now that we have Gloomhaven and tons of good dungeon videogames, there's no point?

For the most part yea? I feel that the core tradeoff of refinement of design, speed of play, and reduction in setup and planning time (and sometimes lack of GM requirement) vs more extensive customizability of encounters and dungeons falls strongly in favor of the board/video/card game if roleplaying is going to be a light or non-existent element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ilor posted:

Ilor posted:

I mean if your defining trait of being about roleplaying is Real estate of mechanical combat rules to role playing stuff then no version of D&D has ever been about Role playing.