Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

NGDBSS posted:

Did your hosting site go down unexpectedly? The rhematic.net link just fails to work while the sslptest link has no pictures (which according to source code are hosted on rhematic).

Seems fine on my end, and asking people in my server shows me that it's working. I can ssh into the box just fine. Maybe your ISP is having routing issues to Linode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Seems fine on my end, and asking people in my server shows me that it's working. I can ssh into the box just fine. Maybe your ISP is having routing issues to Linode?
It was having issues earlier but now it seems to be fixed. I doubt it was just my ISP; downforeveryoneorjustme was failing as well.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Odd. No maintenance reboots were scheduled. Maybe an OS upgrade required a restart or something.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 17.
(SSLP Test Poster version.)

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Last Update posted:

You know I never see Bernadetta outside of class. I wonder what it is that she does in her room all day.

Well, judging by this

Bernadetta lifts like mad.

Canonically Felix and Caspar are constantly training and fighting everyone they can get their hands on.
But I imagine whenever your Bernie comes back from a mission she just locks herself in her room and starts absolutely shredding it.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
I agree, Dorothea's stats are becoming utterly baffling. It's perfectly possible to have a unit get bizarrely screwed over, but this is just in utter spite of her growths.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Ultimately, it's not gonna matter too much, since passing the exam for a new class sets your stats to a given minimum, if they're below that minimum, but it's still utterly baffling. Hopefully getting access to Warlock and, by extension, 17 Mag, will help Dorothea be useful along with her high Spd thanks to the carrots.

Rea fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 21, 2019

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Your Dorothea's situation is even worse than it appears because she's getting +1 magic from being in the Mage class. So she actually growthed only 2 magic in 15 levels.

She's kind of the most prone to getting screwed out of the mages due to probably having the worst growth total. Kind of trade-off with her probably having the best spellbook really.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
The Sothis prologue has always felt off to me. Like, good reward of course, but they really don't... get anything out of it narratively. They don't really tell you what if anything it helped Sothis remember (because it's too early to reveal Her Deal, even if honestly it's almost certainly the first thing you guessed upon starting the game), it doesn't really unlock any scenes later on which is probably the best way to handle this really, Abby doesn't seem to gain any new understanding of herself, there's no real scene with the students for rescuing you, it's just.. a thing that happens and you get some level ups.

And all-monster maps are annoying and those reinforcements are rude! But Abby starts in a place where it barely matters that she's alone, so it doesn't stand out from the required chapter battles the way most Paralogues do!

It feels like a complete waste.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

CmdrKing posted:

The Sothis prologue has always felt off to me. Like, good reward of course, but they really don't... get anything out of it narratively. They don't really tell you what if anything it helped Sothis remember (because it's too early to reveal Her Deal, even if honestly it's almost certainly the first thing you guessed upon starting the game), it doesn't really unlock any scenes later on which is probably the best way to handle this really, Abby doesn't seem to gain any new understanding of herself, there's no real scene with the students for rescuing you, it's just.. a thing that happens and you get some level ups.

And all-monster maps are annoying and those reinforcements are rude! But Abby starts in a place where it barely matters that she's alone, so it doesn't stand out from the required chapter battles the way most Paralogues do!

It feels like a complete waste.

It feels like this map was originally supposed to be a part of the main story, but got shuffled over to the Paralogues when they couldn't find a way to make it fit.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

That would makes sense. The handling of chapter 6 makes it clear they made some compromises they didn't expect to work the game into the month long calendar format, and "Abby wanders off a Sothis' prompting" would be even more nonsensical if you tried to do it as a full month, and fitting two required missions into a month would mess with recruitment/party building quite a lot at this particular spot of the game.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
There's a lot of unused text in Three Houses that suggests the monastery systems were being heavily retooled right up until the very end, so I'd believe that they were struggling with how to work with the calendar format.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

This Paralogue "fits" better the closer you do to it's expiration date, unlike most of the others. I like to save it for the expiration date for that reason.

Even then it's out of place considering where that chapter's battle takes place.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
this is Tactics Ogre LUCT rearing its head again but

gently caress wootz steel

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 18.
(SSLP Test Poster version.)

Also, it's time for a story battle, which means, yes indeedy, it's time to vote on who gets to deal with the chapter with the most ominous name so far! We're allowed 10 deployment slots, two of which are reserved for Abby and Edelgard, so we need 8 units besides those two! Everyone we've recruited is available for this map, so we can choose from:

• Hubert
  • Ferdinand
  • Linhardt
  • Caspar
  • Bernadetta
  • Dorothea
  • Petra
  • Felix
  • Sylvain
  • Mercedes
  • Annette
  • Ingrid
  • Lysithea
  • Marianne
  • Flayn
  • Shamir

Vote for three units, one vote max per unit. You can spend two votes to cast a negative vote for a character, same rules as always.

All I'll say is there's a particular unit that you all might enjoy having Lysithea around to deal with.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Bernie
Lysithea
Shamir

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Felix, your two lowest leveled characters

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Bernie
Lysithea
Petra

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Dying to protect your betters is lovely, dying to protect a terrified kid is something I can see as honorable.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hunt11 posted:

Dying to protect your betters is lovely, dying to protect a terrified kid is something I can see as honorable.

I'd respect that too, but it's a matter of intent, I think—I don't believe, in his mind, that Glenn was saving a terrified kid, he was saving someone with a higher station in life than him.

Obviously, we'll never know, since his thoughts died with him, but it's what Rodrigue implies.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I'd respect that too, but it's a matter of intent, I think—I don't believe, in his mind, that Glenn was saving a terrified kid, he was saving someone with a higher station in life than him.

Obviously, we'll never know, since his thoughts died with him, but it's what Rodrigue implies.

I think that is a cynical way to look at what Glenn did. By all accounts it seemed as though he risked himself to save a close family friend who was just also the heir to be. With Rodrigue though he completely hosed up in handling that incident which is a running theme for a lot of what will be covered with the Blue Lions.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Caspar, Felix, Ferdinand

I haven't used Felix yet, and I didn't use Caspar or Ferdinand in my first BE run, so I'd like to see how they can (theoretically) turn out.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hunt11 posted:

I think that is a cynical way to look at what Glenn did. By all accounts it seemed as though he risked himself to save a close family friend who was just also the heir to be. With Rodrigue though he completely hosed up in handling that incident which is a running theme for a lot of what will be covered with the Blue Lions.

Fair. I won't deny that my view is cynical; I pretty much take a version of Felix's view on chivalry and knighthood, in that it's a way for those at the top to convince people below them to sacrifice their lives so that the rich don't have to.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Shamir, Petra, Ingrid

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Weird quirk of playing on Normal: the enemies keep losing straight fights with the NPCs, so the "challenge" of the map is actually getting kills to level up your weaker units (since it's otherwise a map that's pretty unlikely to hurt you.)

Storywise... Faerghus is hosed, you may have noticed. There are worse elements to the culture there that other characters explore later, but you'll notice that every man we've seen from the land is either completely dedicated to holding up some extremely toxic masculine ideals of status, or horribly, obviously damaged by being raised by those men. Like we're not even getting the brunt of it, being on the Black Eagles path, but the way the story ultimately takes shape doesn't necessarily come together in quite the same way without grokking how messed up Faerghus is.

Heck, that's without even getting into the fact that somehow they've been so destabilized by their king dying 5 or 6 years prior to the game that they still have endless quantities of bandits running around.

Lysithea, Marianne, Mercedes

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Shamir, Caspar, Hat

One important thing of note with that map. The shiny space the mage is sitting on? That's an escape tile for the villagers. Rodrigue isnt just a lovely person spouting toxic ideals, he's a terrible tactician that orders the villagers to flee away from the advancing reinforcements instead of fleeing behind their lines.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Hunt11 posted:

Yeah, I won't get into it too much, but some conversations confirm that Glenn was good friends with Dimitri, so I see it less as a knight thing and more of a friend thing.

Oh, and for units:

Felix, Lysithea, whoever is the lowest level

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Felix is really great. Also this map isn't that hard on Hard, I think you might be letting Maddening colour your opinion of the map too much. Did we have to let all the villagers escape or did we have to finish the map with them all alive to get the relic?

Hubert, Felix, Ferdinand.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Bernie
Lysithea
Bernie a second time uh Annette I guess

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Mysticblade posted:

Felix is really great. Also this map isn't that hard on Hard, I think you might be letting Maddening colour your opinion of the map too much. Did we have to let all the villagers escape or did we have to finish the map with them all alive to get the relic?

Just have them all alive, they don't have to escape.

And no, it's not just Maddening, I had to restart this map twice while recording the LP because the villagers got themselves killed and there was nothing I could do about it.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Bernie
Hubert
Weird pale notVampire girl

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
Dorothea, Shamir and Lysithea

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Felix's paralogue is not the biggest pain to do right of them by any means, but it can be really frustrating if you don't have enough mobility. Kudos especially on doing this with so many 4 move mages.

Linhardt, Shamir, Petra

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

That map is terrible and I hate Rodrigue solely for his "help" on it. It's really fun if you've never looked at the different battalions and aren't aware that Stride even exists!

Hubert
Linhardt
Bernie

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

CmdrKing posted:

Storywise... Faerghus is hosed, you may have noticed. There are worse elements to the culture there that other characters explore later, but you'll notice that every man we've seen from the land is either completely dedicated to holding up some extremely toxic masculine ideals of status, or horribly, obviously damaged by being raised by those men. Like we're not even getting the brunt of it, being on the Black Eagles path, but the way the story ultimately takes shape doesn't necessarily come together in quite the same way without grokking how messed up Faerghus is.

The good interpretation of knighthood is that the knight is supposed to go and fight for everyone, like when Lancelot goes and fights the dragon in L'Morte del Arthur because the terrified peasants want him to. Of course, the real sin of knighthood is that it's one tier on the divine status ladder, where places are literally set by God and you can't actually move up no matter how hard you work or what you do. Lancelot is still better than you because of his bloodline, and his phenomenal swordsmanship and courage are secondary to breeding. It's eugenics all the way down (see: poor Ingrid).

That said, pretty much all of the power structures of Fodlan are hosed, from Rhea insisting you keep the lance of ruin's mutation a secret so we can keep our Goddess-given nobility to the assholes experimenting on poor Edelgard to people trying to use Sylvain and Ingrid for eugenics to Dorothea's lack of self-confidence to...actually everyone. The systems in place being absolute garbage is one of the big themes of the first half of the game.

I'll have more to say on this when we get deeper.

Anyway, Lysithea, Petra, and Felix have never let me down, and I hope they pull through for you!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Current results!

quote:

Lysithea: 18
Bernadetta: 11
Caspar: 8
Petra: 8
Hubert: 6
Dorothea: 6
Felix: 5
Ferdinand: 5
Shamir: 5

quote:

Ingrid: 3
Marianne: 3
Linhardt: 3
Annette: 3
Sylvain: 2
Mercedes: 1

Felix, Ferdinand, and Shamir are currently tied for the final deployment slot.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
A few things to note about that map.

- Oh my god I hate the starting deployment. Felix and whichever two dudes are behind the bunch of thickets are effectively screwed in actually engaging anyone since they're in an awkward spot and ground units are impeded by the terrain. I've done the map twice now, with Felix as a used character in both files, and he basically gets to do nothing. I think he did 2 total attacks last time?

- In all the spots where a soldier is defending the villager in an alcove, neither of them move if the soldier is currently still being attacked. A stalling method you can do is leave the enemies alone and just Physic the soldier when he needs it

- The bottom left retreat spot is an rear end in a top hat move by the map yeah. Best method is to stride a tanky enough unit over on that thicket in reach of them and pull the group. I got the MC over there by turn 2, well before villagers start putting themselves in the danger zone. Counterattacks and the units behind the MC catching up is enough to clean out the worst part. I did this on Maddening, albeit it's one the last paralogues I did.

- The Crest Shield is actually a pretty good argument to Brawler Felix, honestly. Just stick to Training Gauntlets for the most part (it's not like the stronger weapons make a difference most of the time to a properly built brawler...) and unequip it anytime it makes the difference of doubling (or quadding) As it is I forgot about it and made Felix an archer this time, so I get to be sad.

Ingrid, Flayn, Lindhardt

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I'd like to note that, when I played this map on Maddening, a villager got himself straight in the chokepoint near the boss at the top left, and I had to completely restart because of it.

The map is full of awful poo poo that I'm honestly unsure is intentional or not. Like, I can't tell if villagers being aggressive and the rescue spot being at the literal opposite end of where you are are intentional dickishness, or just ill-thought out design.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I'd like to note that, when I played this map on Maddening, a villager got himself straight in the chokepoint near the boss at the top left, and I had to completely restart because of it.

The map is full of awful poo poo that I'm honestly unsure is intentional or not. Like, I can't tell if villagers being aggressive and the rescue spot being at the literal opposite end of where you are are intentional dickishness, or just ill-thought out design.

I skipped this map on Maddening.

I don't regret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I skipped this map on Maddening.

I don't regret it.

It took me several attempts across multiple IRL days (not back to back, obviously) to finally clear it. Even with multiple fliers and cavalry, that map is extremely unforgiving, and sometimes you just lose because the villager AI did something you couldn't have possibly expected, and being able to fix it would involve rewinding so far that you might as well just restart.

And the Aegis Shield isn't even that great on Maddening, since letting Felix take hits is extremely dangerous, and no amount of Pavise/Aegis will help.