Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Somebody PM me when it's spoiler season again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Edit: Honestly, not worth trying to deal with armchair lawyers in the magic thread. Thanks for the laughs though!

PJOmega fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 23, 2019

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ItBreathes posted:

Since we're apparently in reserve list season we've got a long Foil Bending winter to make it through before we can start planting spoilers. That doesn't even account for if Maro sees his shadow and gives us a whole six more weeks of Winter Orb.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

PJOmega posted:

Since we're apparently in reserve list season we've got a long Foil Bending winter to make it through before we can start planting spoilers. That doesn't even account for if Maro sees his shadow and gives us a whole six more weeks of Winter Orb.

Don't worry we'll be able to keep ourselves warm with the embers of Pioneer meta discussion

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Along with all of the other financial/liability/internal politics reasons not to touch the RL, the way internet people turn into petulant babies at the slightest mention of it is another strong reason to let sleeping dogs lie.

Assuming they don't want the format to be mostly seeing who's turn 3/4 combo goes off, Emrakul+Marvel can't last in the format for long. If someone made a set of bingo cards out of the 35ish cards that might get a ban, one of those two would be my choice for the free space.

Presuming some kind of increased velocity over the Standard format where it was legal, perhaps there is a Approach+Nexus deck waiting to be played out there? Maybe in Esper instead of Bant for better interaction?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

AnEdgelord posted:

Don't worry we'll be able to keep ourselves warm with the embers of Pioneer meta discussion
Pioneer Goblins. I'm still theorycrafting and haven't gotten a chance to test it, but what do people think? I'm not sure about the Bomat Courier and Alpine Moons, and might want more Goblin Cratermakers. I feel like there's a viable deck in there somewhere.

23 Lands
4x Sunscorched Desert
4x Ramunap Ruins
11x Mountain
4x Cavern of Souls

27 Creatures
4x Legion Loyalist
4x Bomat Courier
4x Skirk Prospector
4x Smuggler's Copter
2x Goblin Piledriver
4x Goblin Ringleader
4x Goblin Warchief
2x Goblin Chainwhirler

10 Spells
4x Lightning Strike
2x Abrade
4x Shock

Sideboard
2x Goblin Chainwhirler
2x Goblin Trashmaster
2x Goblin Cratermaker
2x Alpine Moon
3x Redcap Melee
2x Abrade
2x Lava Coil

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Yoked posted:

Who has a Spirits list for Pioneer?

I already had a bad fetch-less, Cavern-less Spirits deck so this format seems cool to me.

This is where I'm starting-
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2406784#paper

Should probably cut the Executioners and another card for 4x Gilded Goose but I don't have any in paper.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Tibalt posted:

Pioneer Goblins. I'm still theorycrafting and haven't gotten a chance to test it, but what do people think? I'm not sure about the Bomat Courier and Alpine Moons, and might want more Goblin Cratermakers. I feel like there's a viable deck in there somewhere.

23 Lands
4x Sunscorched Desert
4x Ramunap Ruins
11x Mountain
4x Cavern of Souls

27 Creatures
4x Legion Loyalist
4x Bomat Courier
4x Skirk Prospector
4x Smuggler's Copter
2x Goblin Piledriver
4x Goblin Ringleader
4x Goblin Warchief
2x Goblin Chainwhirler

10 Spells
4x Lightning Strike
2x Abrade
4x Shock

Sideboard
2x Goblin Chainwhirler
2x Goblin Trashmaster
2x Goblin Cratermaker
2x Alpine Moon
3x Redcap Melee
2x Abrade
2x Lava Coil

Rabblemaster and Reckless Bushwhacker doesn't make the cut huh?

Khagan fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 23, 2019

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The American Dream posted:

Check your local bulk boxes. I got an aetherworks marvel, 9 heart of kirans and 2 siege rhinos in the 15 for $5 box.

There are two stores that keep trade binders of players here. Both stores just said "we're freezing buying stuff from these for a week until prices stabilize and people update their prices" which I think is a nice gesture. Don't need a snipey fucker flippers.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

The American Dream posted:

Check your local bulk boxes. I got an aetherworks marvel, 9 heart of kirans and 2 siege rhinos in the 15 for $5 box.

No stores around here have kept "bulk boxes" since... I want to say around the inception of Modern? Whenever it was that #mtgfinance really took off and prices really went crazy with cardboard spiking overnight. Basically stores got tired of trying to keep up with it all, so now every card is indexed and has to get looked up on tcgplayer.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Khagan posted:

Rabblemaster and Reckless Bushwhacker doesn't make the cut huh?
I considered them, but the Rabblemaster just seems like a worse Piledriver and I wasn't sure what to cut for the Bushwacker. Courier and Chainwhirler seem like the likeliest candidates for cutting. Courier might not be necessary with Copter but I like the card draw, and Chainwhirler seems great against Elvish Mystics and toke strategies.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
It’s usually stuff that’s been printed 3 or 4 times or cards that were barely good enough to see play in limited or stuff that hasn’t seen play since it rotated out 1-15 years ago. I don’t know how much heart of kiran was 2 days ago, but I assume it was less then $1 and they haven’t sold one in a year.

A few months ago I found an urzas destiny attrition and some foil fire blasts and chain lightenings. But they’re not paying me to search their bulk for cards worth $2.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Tubgoat posted:

Does Giant Growth cost G or 1G? This is important.

G

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I checked those cards out last night, there's nothing of value in there.

Yeah there's a lot to go through but so far nothing good.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Is Aetherworks Marvel actually scary in a format with Pithing Needle, Li'l Tef, Spyglass, and a generally higher power level of opposing strategies? Marvel was a terror when there was little if any counterplay and competing archetypes weren't remotely as consistent or powerful as they're going to be now, especially in the context of the narrow and limited pool of enablers that the Marvel deck will be restricted to

Emrakul is, in a vacuum, an awful card that should never have been printed and will almost certainly end up banned, but I'm not convinced about Marvel, especially once Emmy is inevitably axed.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I am watching CalebD brew Pioneer decks and this looks fun?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Narcomoeba, prized amalgam and scrapheap scrounger are all legal, there's gotta be something there.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Okay, they're from 1993 at earliest then.
Ate My Ball Redux was doing a "I slept with your mom last night" joke.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So for a Reanimator strategy is it better to go for unburial rites or cauldron of eternity as your Reanimator thing? Unburial rites is probably better in a vacuum but Emry makes me lean towards Cauldron.

Also what are the good reanimation targets? Dragonlord Atarka seems like the most obvious but surely there are more options.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AnEdgelord posted:

So for a Reanimator strategy is it better to go for unburial rites or cauldron of eternity as your Reanimator thing? Unburial rites is probably better in a vacuum but Emry makes me lean towards Cauldron.

Also what are the good reanimation targets? Dragonlord Atarka seems like the most obvious but surely there are more options.

Unburial Rites isn't legal my guy. Whip of Erebos is probably the cheapest reanimation option available.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tibalt posted:

I considered them, but the Rabblemaster just seems like a worse Piledriver and I wasn't sure what to cut for the Bushwacker. Courier and Chainwhirler seem like the likeliest candidates for cutting. Courier might not be necessary with Copter but I like the card draw, and Chainwhirler seems great against Elvish Mystics and toke strategies.

I don't think the skirk prospectors do enough as a 4 of. They are bad in multiples. I feel like foundry streets are going to be better.

I also feel like castle of embereth is better than putting desert package.

Rabblemaster is the kind of reason to even play this deck.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 23, 2019

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

C-Euro posted:

Unburial Rites isn't legal my guy. Whip of Erebos is probably the cheapest reanimation option available.

Shame about Unburial Rites, I keep having trouble keeping legality straight in my head when It comes to the Innistrad cards since they were around in RTR standard.

As far as whip goes I think it is substantially worse than Cauldron, especially when you can curve Stitchet's Supplier into Satyr Wayfinder into Emry and have the full discount on its CMC AND you get to keep the creature.

Its probably way better to be doing marvel stuff until that gets banned or hated out but I think there is a solid Cauldron Reanimator shell out there somewhere.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tubgoat posted:

Okay, they're from 1993 at earliest then.
Ate My Ball Redux was doing a "I slept with your mom last night" joke.

Tee hee

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

ItBreathes posted:

:same:

Or when this format gets its own thread elsewhere.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

:same:

Or when this format gets its own thread elsewhere.

Format talk is going to be in this thread until the forums are shut down.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I don't see what the fuss is about. Pioneer's actually pretty exciting. I kind of scoffed at it at first but this may actually be the thing that gets me back into 60-card constructed. I don't like rotating formats so I never stay interested in Standard long, and Modern's been pushed far beyond any reasonable cost (meta decks with no reserve list cards should not be costing over $1000, dear lord)

I really hope it's successful; it's a lot more accessible to the average person and it feels like it will have a nice power level to it without being busted or boring (after the dust settles and the truly broken stuff gets banned out, obviously).

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Blood for Bones and Lilliana Death's Majesty also seem pretty good for a reanimator brew

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The mtgfinance crowd will do its absolute best to make Pioneer hard to get into. You'll just be complaining about the $600 minimum for competitive decks instead of $1,000. Wizards can erase all of Modern's accessibility problems with reprints, but they won't and Pioneer will have the same problem in no time.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
This is also unfortunately true.

Magic's just a real expensive hobby if you wanna be competitive man

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Pioneer is going to be appealing right now because the cost seems more palatable and all Wizards has to do ensure that is make the next two or three reprint sets focus on Pioneer. When they said that there weren't going to be any Masters sets again for awhile, they weren't talking about Modern Horizons, they were getting ready for Pioneer.

They'll never reprint the fetchlands. They'll never reprint Chalice of the Void, Liliana of the Veil, or any other Modern staples you can name. Your last chance to get that stuff was in 2017 and 2018. Enjoy.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Star Man posted:

Pioneer is going to be appealing right now because the cost seems more palatable and all Wizards has to do ensure that is make the next two or three reprint sets focus on Pioneer. When they said that there weren't going to be any Masters sets again for awhile, they weren't talking about Modern Horizons, they were getting ready for Pioneer.

They'll never reprint the fetchlands. They'll never reprint Chalice of the Void, Liliana of the Veil, or any other Modern staples you can name. Your last chance to get that stuff was in 2017 and 2018. Enjoy.

This is a post that isn't going to age well. WOTC has investors to answer to and they are going to print products their customers want to buy. They have not supported the modern format with reprints as much as they should, but you aren't going to see them just stop because it makes them big $$ every loving time.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Pioneer is going to be cool and fun. A new format is always exciting. I’m looking forward to seeing it develop.

The people who are complaining are those old and experienced enough to remember when Modern was first started—when Wizards killed Legacy, because they cared more about people who keep cards in boxes than people who turn them sideways. History repeats itself.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Return to theros is perfect for pioneer staple reprint equity.

Hope eidolon of the great revel gets a reprint

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Nukes to Saudi A! posted:

Return to theros is perfect for pioneer staple reprint equity.

Hope eidolon of the great revel gets a reprint

They just reprinted it like a year and a half ago, it's like 8 bucks.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

correct me if im wrong but other than current standard none of pioneer is in print and so it'll just become extremely expensive in probably even shorter time than modern because of speculators, right? like this is just kicking the can down the road?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
from my understanding the ratio of cards printed is something like 1:10:50 pre-zendikar/pre-rtr/post-rtr, so you're not going to get straight up supply limitations in frontier, whereas there actually are just not enough copies of, say, Manamorphose, or Noble Hierarch, in print to meet demand.

Anybody who thinks that the format will magically be not absurdly expensive is kidding themselves regardless

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Does anyone have any experience getting in contact with Rob Alexander? He has my Italian artist proof Underground Sea, that a friend of mine gave him at GP Las Vegas to draw something on the back of. He didn't have time to do the drawing at the GP and was going to ship it back to me when he was done. We've tried calling (left messages), emailing and sending Facebook messages, with no response. At this point I really just want to know what happened to it :(.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

rkajdi posted:

It's an easy fix, but this list has 8 Hallowed Fountains in it.

Please play basics in your pioneer deck even though it’s 3 color.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Does anyone have any experience getting in contact with Rob Alexander? He has my Italian artist proof Underground Sea, that a friend of mine gave him at GP Las Vegas to draw something on the back of. He didn't have time to do the drawing at the GP and was going to ship it back to me when he was done. We've tried calling (left messages), emailing and sending Facebook messages, with no response. At this point I really just want to know what happened to it :(.

More like ROBBER Alexander am I right folks?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Mezzanon posted:

Please play basics in your pioneer deck even though it’s 3 color.

More like ROBBER Alexander am I right folks?

Lol. I suspect more like forgetful/busy Alexander but I don’t know how to turn that into interesting wordplay.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

rabidsquid posted:

correct me if im wrong but other than current standard none of pioneer is in print and so it'll just become extremely expensive in probably even shorter time than modern because of speculators, right? like this is just kicking the can down the road?

No, it's kicking the can up the road - the prices will surge faster than they would otherwise from cards finding play in Modern/EDH/other formats nobody cares about. Seems like that's the goal here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

there would absolutely be a lawsuit if WOTC abolished the reserved list. It might not be successful but it would take up time and effort and cost money. Moreover, while they could certainly sell reserved list cards, it’s not clear that doing so would be a more profitable than whatever other product would otherwise go in that release slot, let alone sufficiently more profitable to balance the litigation costs.

Meanwhile they could create another reprint set with all ten fetches at rare and basically nothing else and boosters would fly off shelves. They won’t because they don’t want to. The reserved list is stupid and should be abolished, but WOTC is already pigheaded about reprints and that’s not likely to change soon.

Imo, I think the reason WoTC has had really weird stances on things sometimes is so they don't accidentally admit booster packs are gambling and get themselves legislated out of existence. As soon as you acknowledge there are some cards more valuable than others at the same rarity you open yourself up to the entire business model collapsing. It's why they have to do this weird thing where they know secondary market prices and demand but can't do anything that lets on they're aware of it.

It was a Big Deal back when MaRo admitted they always have a rare land set to push pack sales because it's dancing dangerously close to admitting some rares are worth more than others.

It's why they've settled on the utterly meaningless "reprint equity" as a term. It ostensibly makes no sense because they control the supply and can print as much as they want...but they know if they do that they'll destroy the secondary market that they have to pretend doesn't exist.

But to be fair some things have gotten very silly, notably the fetchland price situation.

As for the reserve list abolishment triggering a lawsuit, I'm really not sure if a lawsuit arguing the reserve list is some kind of contract would hold up. Plus the list seems to be hated by everyone but the most fanatical of #mtgfinance types so it's abolishment and printing Vintage Masters would sell packs at utterly stupid prices. People would buy Vintage Masters packs at prices well beyond what the Eldraine Collector Boosters are going for.

I do strongly suspect Hasbro legal has advised them the risk and cost of fighting any lawsuit outweigh any benefit of abolishment though. They also might be worried about any court case involving magic on the off-chance it gets booster packs declared as gambling.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I’m not sure if you’re familiar with the way corporate litigation works and I don’t mean to talk down to you if you are, but:
1) there is a well established principle of contract law known as promissory estoppel that basically says that even though WOTC didn’t sign a contract when they established the reserved list, the fact that they knew it would induce certain actions in the secondary market and it did so means there are legal hurdles to them going back on it

IANAL (EW or someone who is correct me if I'm wrong) but couldn't they completely hose the promissory estoppel claim by saying they don't recognize a secondary market and the cards only differ in value from their rarity?

Your points about this potentially hitting discovery and likely requiring litigation specialists make sense though. Plus there's also the issue that the class in this case would, unlike most classes, potentially have way more resources and way more desire to fund the legal battle. People who "invested" in Reserved List cards have a ton of money sitting around and are likely rich enough to know how to effectively use the legal system, unlike most class participants.

Edit: for actual magic discussion and not trying to talk about the law very dumb+badly, I think Pioneer sounds cool but I only do draft and EDH in paper with my friends so I'll likely never play it.

Just...please add it to Arena. I suspect they're trying as hard as they can to fix the client right now and they're planning to eventually add more sets but who really knows.

I do suspect Arena was way, way, more successful than they suspected it would be and it's kind of thrown things into chaos. Also the revolt over 2:1 wildcards + new cards printed into historic likely also messed up their plans and they're back to the drawing board.

axeil fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 23, 2019