Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Just realised that the carnage tyrants and check lands I've been putting off buying post rotation are likely going to spike now. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mezzanon posted:

Please play basics in your pioneer deck even though it’s 3 color.

More like ROBBER Alexander am I right folks?

I ordered 8 playmats from Seb Mckinnon and only got 7. I messaged him on Kickstarter and he told me to email the shipping company. They sent an email saying they will ship the other one. That was 2 weeks ago now.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Anybody playing Carnage Tyrant in a format where Supreme Verdict is legal is engaging in what I like to call 'wishful thinking'.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

GoutPatrol posted:

I ordered 8 playmats from Seb Mckinnon and only got 7. I messaged him on Kickstarter and he told me to email the shipping company. They sent an email saying they will ship the other one. That was 2 weeks ago now.

I'd guess your extra shipment got pushed to the end of the queue, apparently they still have a decent chunk of orders to fill.

ungulateman posted:

Anybody playing Carnage Tyrant in a format where Supreme Verdict is legal is engaging in what I like to call 'wishful thinking'.

I'm planning on slamming it down with haste

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

ilmucche posted:

I'm planning on slamming it down with haste

Play Ilharg and/or an eldrazi titan then :shrug:

e: the only card i can think of where this is a good gameplan is rhythm of the wild, which makes all the text on carnage tyrant irrelevant anyway (unless they bounce the rhythm with teferi, in which case your creature no longer has haste). ghalta and nullhide ferox seem like generally superior options. not to mention older cards like dragonlord atarka or stormbreath dragon

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 23, 2019

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

ungulateman posted:

Play Ilharg and/or an eldrazi titan then :shrug:

Ilharg is another card I'm looking to jam in the deck. It's a goofy modern ramp deck. I guess it can be a goofy pioneer ramp deck, but the ramp won't be as good in pioneer.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
honestly is carnage tyrant even better than gaea's revenge?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

I’ll have my people call the shipping company and by god I will get rob Alexander to return that loving mat to you.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

GoutPatrol posted:

I still havent gotten a shipping notice for my order. Had no problems at all with the first one.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any idea what was responsible for these two spikes?

~April 9th and July 1st

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Have any good podcasts come out about Pioneer yet? None of my subscriptions have updated.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Rinkles posted:

Any idea what was responsible for these two spikes?

~April 9th and July 1st

People putting it in their modern sideboards and people putting it in their modern sideboards again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

suicidesteve posted:

People putting it in their modern sideboards and people putting it in their modern sideboards again.

but was there a specific trigger? or just a buyout that stuck?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Have any good podcasts come out about Pioneer yet? None of my subscriptions have updated.

Gerry T and Brian Gottlieb did a stream soon after the announcement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCznLewoRaM

They probably gonna do a proper podcast about it later, with some actual testing results

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Rinkles posted:

but was there a specific trigger? or just a buyout that stuck?

I think the second one was when a Mentor deck won/Top 8'd a Modern PTQ on MTGO.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I've just noticed that Magicfest Brussels is Thursday-Sunday, should I expect the Thursday to be the same as a Friday?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Check lands are not going to "spike" and Pioneer mana bases are never going to be an appreciable fraction of Modern's.

No amount of MTG finance is ever going to overcome Glacial Fortress being on it's 5th big printing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
they're gonna spike from two bucks to three bucks

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Checklands have all had multiple printings, suppose the INN/DOM ones might go up. Can't imaging shocks or painlands moving much. The Kaladesh fast lands might be worth grabbing? Battle for Zendikar, Amonkhet and Shadows lands maybe? They might be too slow or conditional.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've just noticed that Magicfest Brussels is Thursday-Sunday, should I expect the Thursday to be the same as a Friday?

If they do the same thing they always do on PT weekends, Thursday will have some last change qualifiers for the Players' Tour and that's it.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Are the shadows check lands playable in aggro when paired with shocks? Seems close at least

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

sit on my Facebook posted:

Are the shadows check lands playable in aggro when paired with shocks? Seems close at least

(Assuming you mean in the context of Pioneer) In ally colors, yes. To be honest, I think they're the 2nd best option for aggro decks in solely ally colors after shocks, yes, better than checklands.

Enemy colors have better options, but they don't have a set of the Shadows lands anyway so it's whatever.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Not gonna lie, I allowed myself to believe Pioneer could've been fun. But then I was made aware that the entirety of Spirits is legal minus a couple of the lands. :stonkhat:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Tubgoat posted:

Not gonna lie, I allowed myself to believe Pioneer could've been fun. But then I was made aware that the entirety of Spirits is legal minus a couple of the lands. :stonkhat:

And drogskol captain, and aether vial, and noble hierarch, and path to exile

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Tubgoat posted:

Drogskol Captain and Aether Vial aren't available either.

(Does modern still play Geist of Saint Traft too? Because that's not in either)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tubgoat posted:

Eh, no vial and no cavern of souls is a big deal. As far as the tribal decks go its probably the most viable I can see atm.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

Eh, no vial and no cavern of souls is a big deal. As far as the tribal decks go its probably the most viable I can see atm.

Bant Humans could be good with Charming Prince, Reflector Mage, and Thalia's Lieutenant among others. Not sure that it's better than a generic Bant Value list with CoCo but there's something there.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I kept 4x Saheelis because I knew there would be a day where I wanted to and/or could play a deck that won with infinite cats. What's the best lists look like? :catdrugs:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Ya know, I did forget Captain isn't legal. Alright, feeling a little better now. Thanks!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

LifeLynx posted:

I kept 4x Saheelis because I knew there would be a day where I wanted to and/or could play a deck that won with infinite cats. What's the best lists look like? :catdrugs:

I like this guy's list but I haven't watched the video yet-
https://youtu.be/fNmcwD9v910

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

LifeLynx posted:

Speaking of, wanna see that 3.5k of speculation looks like?

This is what an idiot looks like. This person won't be able to move their cards quick enough to break even before the card is banned.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 23, 2019

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Sickening posted:

This is what an idiot looks like. This person won't be able to move their cards quick enough to break even before the card is banned.

"b-b-but splinter twin!"
yes, splinter twin could cast half its combo EOT 3 and the other half immediately after untapping on 4. it also had far superior card filtering and operated on perfect information because it could Probe before going off.

it was also 2 colors in a format with infinitely better mana

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

"b-b-but splinter twin!"
yes, splinter twin could cast half its combo EOT 3 and the other half immediately after untapping on 4. it also had far superior card filtering and operated on perfect information because it could Probe before going off.

it was also 2 colors in a format with infinitely better mana

Ooo, my turn to play this game!

I never had a problem with Splinter Twin when it was legal. Sure, I lost some games, but it was never the unbeatable matchup that its critics seemed to believe.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I feel like the CopyCat deck will be good enough to compete as T1 deck but not get banned, personally. PW interaction is better than it was back in Kaladesh standard, I think.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tubgoat posted:

Ooo, my turn to play this game!

I never had a problem with Splinter Twin when it was legal. Sure, I lost some games, but it was never the unbeatable matchup that its critics seemed to believe.

Splinter twin would be absolutely fine in the current modern format, so would dig and pod.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tibalt posted:

I feel like the CopyCat deck will be good enough to compete as T1 deck but not get banned, personally. PW interaction is better than it was back in Kaladesh standard, I think.

PW and creature action both, it’s important to remember just how absolutely atrocious Kaladesh standard’s removal suite was

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Splinter twin would be absolutely fine in the current modern format, so would dig and pod.

I think Pod would be fine but Twin and Dig are still too much, especially with lil’ Tef in the house.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
T3feri takes control strats from "highly competitive" to "complete loving bullshit, are you loving kidding me with this? Wanna play loving Mana Drain and Time Walk, too, you little prick?"

This is why I keep forgetting it's not even mythic. :psyboom:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

T3feri takes control strats from "highly competitive" to "complete loving bullshit, are you loving kidding me with this? Wanna play loving Mana Drain and Time Walk, too, you little prick?"

This is why I keep forgetting it's not even mythic. :psyboom:

Nice Rift Bolt you got there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Doesn't this person know the combo is to make infinite felidars not infinite saheelis???