Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

thepokey posted:

I’ve known people that have pronounced it ser-sha and some seer-sha, so I guess it’s sort of like how some people say meg-an, and some mee-gan, for the same name. I thought it was a more common Irish name unlike something like Caoimhe which I don’t think I’ve come across any in Australia.

Also with Richmond selecting their own recruiting manager (lol) how did it work, did she call her own name out? Or did she just say “we choose me”?

I didn't see it live, but they had players from each club announcing the picks (Chelsea Randall did it for the Crows, for example) after the committee of club people decided on the selection. Presumably they had one of the Richmond players just announce it. I imagine most people had no idea who Lauren Tesoriero was, let alone that she was their recruiting manager.

Supposedly, Kate Sheahan who is the AFLW head of footy at Richmond pulled rank and insisted that she be selected, haha. It should be said that she has played AFLW previously (two seasons with Collingwood). She was delisted at the end of the 2018 season and then did an ACL playing for Richmond's VFLW side this year (which she opted not to get surgically repaired), but apparently did enough in her recovery to convince them to take her.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Sheahan also did her ACL playing for collingwood, she played about 40 seconds coming off the bench in her debut and ended her career.

Gil told her to play in the first season of aflw as they're family friends.

Basically hired by the Tigers to be an ear to Gil and get a license 'early' she is apparently not great at her job so we'll see how the tigers do this year, they did manage to grab a few big names but also had the most draft picks so have a lot of inexperienced players for their first season.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

cmndstab posted:

In other news, Richmond's AFLW recruiting manager Lauren Tesoriero selected herself with their final pick today, hahaha.

That could have been awkward if another team picked her first.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Deadly Hume posted:

if you think about it, the bh in "Siobhan" is to v as ph is to f so that part actually makes sense.

well maybe not the orrrn bit.

Non-Gaels don't grow up hearing vowels pronounced like that so it's not surprising Gaelic names like Duibhir makes no sense to an Angle and so they just rewrite it as Dwyer. In that case the bh is completely silent unlike Siobhan. The Si is "Shi", yet another hidden thing (just like Sean) and the o doesn't really do anything either. The orrn bit is pronounced more like ahn (no rr), so it ends up phonetically more like "Shivahn". All this was even worse before they regularised the spelling of Irish Gaelic, it looked terrifying.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The POWER

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

drunkill posted:

The POWER

Thanks for that. I shall make a point of referring to them as Port (or Poort) from here on.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Don't call us thingy! Call us...thingy!

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I'm gonna start calling them portpower from now on :colbert:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

drunkill posted:

The POWER

?? ????

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Branding around capital letters is weird.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I think it was just a marketing thing The Power sent around to news orgs to go with their new logo.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

drunkill posted:

I think it was just a marketing thing The Power sent around to news orgs to go with their new logo.

If I was a media organisation receiving that the first thing I'd do is call them the thing I wasn't supposed to.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
If they called themselves something non-stupid like the Pirates they mightn't have such of a problem.

But until then...

PORT PORT PORT PORT

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
The POWER™ enhanced by Adobe® Photoshop™ Elements

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
In Gaelic they're actually the Port Puibhir

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Po'Pow

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Portello Power

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXatqcigUFw

Still the best use of youtube there has ever been

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
prot

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

My friends just had their second kid, and his name is Rory, quality choice of name imo

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

NTRabbit posted:

My friends just had their second kid, and his name is Rory, quality choice of name imo

That was going to be BUYB’s name for a good seven months of the pregnancy

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

drunkill posted:

The POWER

I seriously don't get why Port Adelaide always make such a big deal out of this kind of thing.

Like, I would be so loving embarrassed if the Crows came out and said "Please don't refer to the entity known as the 'Adelaide Football Club' as 'Adelaide' or 'Crows' or 'The Crows'".

I get it, lol crows no culture etc, but if your culture is "we throw a loving fit every time someone calls us anything other than our exact name, even if its a variation on our own nickname" then your culture sucks.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 24, 2019

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
loving :lol:

https://twitter.com/TomRichardson/status/1187179410786418688

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

NTRabbit posted:

Looking forward to him being drafted to the Crows under the Rory rule.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

NTRabbit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXatqcigUFw

Still the best use of youtube there has ever been

the BYE

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Speaking of bye, bye bye Zac Clarke!

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
The port “they are kind of like the Collingwood of the SAFL, like they had black and white and won a bunch of grand finals there but for some reason the crowd got a team first. Oh and Eddie has blocked them from using their traditional colours ever” power

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I still remember the Melbourne goonmeet (this is going back some years) that some genius decided to organise at the Port's usual after game haunt.

I gather it wasn't too bad earlier on, but I turned up a little later because I had gone to the other game at the G (although I left early because the Hawks were getting done). Anyway, I turned up about the time the Port fans turned up from the Docklands so I kind of had to hide my poo poo. Of course they'd won so they played that loving song over and over.

Goons and Port fans. Double awkward.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

https://twitter.com/Mikey_Nicholson/status/1187167783114592256?s=19

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

I still remember the Melbourne goonmeet (this is going back some years) that some genius decided to organise at the Port's usual after game haunt.

I gather it wasn't too bad earlier on, but I turned up a little later because I had gone to the other game at the G (although I left early because the Hawks were getting done). Anyway, I turned up about the time the Port fans turned up from the Docklands so I kind of had to hide my poo poo. Of course they'd won so they played that loving song over and over.

That's the only goon meet I've ever gone to and feel like I left reasonably early but hearing that song on repeat was something I was not drunk enough for.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

cmndstab posted:

I seriously don't get why Port Adelaide always make such a big deal out of this kind of thing.

Like, I would be so loving embarrassed if the Crows came out and said "Please don't refer to the entity known as the 'Adelaide Football Club' as 'Adelaide' or 'Crows' or 'The Crows'".

I get it, lol crows no culture etc, but if your culture is "we throw a loving fit every time someone calls us anything other than our exact name, even if its a variation on our own nickname" then your culture sucks.

The Koch effect

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

The Return of the Son of Electric Dracula

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Deadly Hume posted:

Good old onearmedman hosting a Melbourne goon meet and not turning up.

I still remember the SAS Wiki for Port Adelaide using that as the main joke for that page.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The one thing I know about port is the literal nazi that rides his bike around the south eastern suburbs of Melbourne in a power guernsey

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Solemn Sloth posted:

The one thing I know about port is the literal nazi that rides his bike around the south eastern suburbs of Melbourne in a power guernsey
It probably is good they weren't allowed their traditional colours.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Somebody’s been mocking up stickers for WeChat I presume

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snoremac posted:

It probably is good they weren't allowed their traditional colours.

We definitely wouldn’t want to besmirch the good name of Collingwood racists with port racists

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I dunno how I didn't see the amount of hoops one has to jump through to see that as a "white power" joke, a very regretful post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It don't matter if you're black or white (we're still gonna be racists,) aheee heee